Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I could see Buffalo moving up for Bijan. They're in desperate need of talent around Allen on offense and he'd be a perfect fit.

Buffalo was the team I suggested as the target trade because Bijan makes so much since to me for them.

The key to it is Buffalo coming to them instead of vice versa.

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook

Its funny because when you suggest it to fans of other teams, NOBODY wants to trade up for a RB. Kinda funny.

I think Bijan makes way more sense to a team like the Bills or Bengals than us. Get that last offensive weapon to get over the hump. Its not as much a luxury pick as it would be for us.

18 minutes ago, HTTSkins said:

Are we going to address LB once this century?? Geeze Louise 

No.  Let this defensive minded staff cook with the ingredients they have.  So many defensive first round picks in the past 10 years I’m completely ready to load up the offense with some first round talent that isn’t Dwayne Haskins, and Josh Doctson.

Brandon Sherff was drafted high as a tackle, and we shifted him to guard.  It’d be nice to hit on a 1st round offensive talent that plays the position he was drafted for on offense.  We drafted a LB in Jamin Davis two years ago, let him marinate for a few.

Edited by Commander Chaaarmnder
  • Like 2

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/09/washington-commanders-set-to-host-local-pro-day-on-april-11-2023-nfl-draft/

The Washington Commanders will host their pro day for local college prospects eligible for the 2023 NFL draft on Tuesday, April 11, per Nicki Jhabvala of The Washington Post.

The local pro days aren’t for the top prospects from the area, which means Maryland cornerback Deonte Banks, a possible first-round pick, likely will not participate. Instead, it’s often for players who weren’t invited to the NFL combine or are from smaller schools.

Two names have already been revealed. Utah State wide receiver Brian Cobbs and William & Mary tight end Lachlan Pitts. Cobbs is from Alexandria, Va., while Pitts hails from Great Falls, Va.

We don’t have a full list of participants at this time, but more will be known on the day of the event.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

https://riggosrag.com/2023/03/22/3-notable-draft-prospects-private-workouts-commanders-2023/3/

That’s why the Commanders are examining prospects like Terell Smith during their private workout stage. The Minnesota product is expected to go late on Day 2 according to most analysts, which represents a potential steal if he can enhance an exciting set of athletic attributes at the next level.

Smith is a phenomenal tackler for a man his size. While there are some technical kinks to work out once he gets to the pros, the player’s work ethic is high and his alert instincts in zone coverage make him a perfect scheme fit for defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Top 30 Visits

Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State (source)

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee (source)

O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida (source)

Atonio Mafi, OG, UCLA (source)

Steve Avila, OG, TCU (source)

Demarvion Overshown, LB, Texas (source)

Terrell Smith, CB, Minnesota (source)

Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee (source)

Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas (source)

Joey Porter, Jr., CB, Penn State (source)

Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State (source)

Brian Branch, S, Alabama (source)

D.J. Turner, CB, Michigain (source)

Ventrell Miller, LB, Florida (source)

Jartavius Martin, SS/LB, Illinois (source)

Ronnie Brown, RB, Shepherd (source)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Demarvion Overshown, 6 '3, LB, Texas.  Watched 2 games.  4th roundish?  Good pick in that range IMO.  Not a pound the table for player for me but I can see him helping this LB group over time.   Looking at his PFF grades, he is a late bloomer, struggled the previous season.

He's tall, long and athletic.    Great motor, plays with fire.  OK at shedding tackles, not great at it, but has some moments.   Good blitzer.  4 sacks.  Sort of a jack of all trades to me eyes without one thing standing out as to his play but as far as his physical attributes he does have some stand out qualities.

Good blitzer, but like most LBs, its mostly about finding a crease and using his speed versus having an arsenal of pass rushing moves.  They rushed him sometimes from the edge, from both sides, they lined him up there verus it being a delayed blitz, and naturally he also blitzed from the middle.    He comes at the passer like a ball of fire though.

As a blitzer he reminds me some of Sirvocea Dennis.  Stylistically his game reminds me in general of Dennis -- Overshown though gets more hype but am not so sure Dennis isn't slightly better that him, especially with Dennis testing though the roof in the cognitive test., best score in this group.  Overshorn is better at shedding tackles in the box where he looks at times more of the traditional LB type in a good way but Dennis IMO is a more sound tackler in general especially in open field.   But they both play IMO in a similar flavor.

He minds me a little of Holcomb in that he's active, flying around the box, but too many times for my liking, he's just a beat behind things as for play recognition.

If I had to pick his best traits -- plays with a lot of energy and has both good short and long speed.  Once he sees what's going on he flies to the play.   He has long legs so that helps his long speed.  For example, he started almost 10 yards behind a RB flying to the end zone and he still almost caught up with the back.   If he had a better angle on the play he'd have caught him but you can see his long speed on display.    So I think he'd be good at putting the breaks on some potential long gains.   

In pursuit, he looked oddly lazy on some of Bryce Young runs in one of the games I watched.  Oddly, because on other plays he ran hard.

He tackles with force and verve but a bit clumsy looking, he will throw his body into the tackle versus tackling with consistent technique like a Brian Branch.

He's a former safety so that I presume helps him in coverage, he looked fluid back peddiling, didn't see big plays in coverage but saw no red flags.

I don't think he's a plug and play LB.  I think he can start his rookie year just like Jamin did but I suspect he'd need a season to develop. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Listened to Bucky Brooks on Lombardi's podcast today.  He said he only has 15 graded 1st rounders this year.  That echoes what others have said (it is not a strong class overall).

Logan Paulsen and Keim had good points on this, its a really good draft at some positions and some positions it isn't. O line and CB for example don't have some of the front liners that we've had in other drafts, but the depth is great for CB, good for tackle, average to weak for OG, good for center.  Good deep draft for edge.

The only position of need that this draft isn't good at is arguably LB.  Above average draft for TE.    For most but not all purposes, its a good draft in positions of need for this team.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

@Skinsinparadise excellent write up on Overshown. 4th round seem about right. Agree with your comments. There is potential in there. I think he’d bring position versatility as well. 

I like him, don't love him.  I think as I said in that post I like Sirvocea Dennis better.  Dennis has been sort of my later rounder favorite at that spot for months.  I did a post in the mock thread about players I've liked that get little love and I forgot to mention Dennis in that list, he definitely belongs on it.

I bring up Dennis because they play in similar style. Neither guy is a stack-shed type LB like Campbell.  They are more in that Jamin Davis style, open field tackles, keep them clean, and use their athleticism to make plays in the open field.  I prefer the stack and shed types but not too many of them these days exist.

Dennis with 7 sacks to Overshorrn's 4.   2 forced fumbles for Dennis to Overshown's 0.    Overshown with 13.2% missed tackles to Dennis with just 4.9% missed tackles.

Dennis with big time intangibles, the kicker was reading about his cognitive testing.

As for the LBs with little love, Dennis is my runner up to Pace.  I do like Pace more though because he just makes plays, play recognition skills, where he's always in the thick of the action, and rarely a beat behind and is a better pass rusher.

But if I am delving deeper into the draft, I like Dennis a lot.  Overshown is close to Dennis IMO but not sure I agree with the draftniks who rate Overshown better.  But I'll say watching them stylistically they remind me of each other with some differences.  I think the perference for Overshown if I had to pick on a thing is he's taller and slightly faster and is slightly better at shedding tackles but neither one is great at that IMO. 

Dennis though with slightly longer arms.  Also according to PFF metrics, the vertical-horizontal have more bearing in pro performance than 40 time for LB.  Dennis better on both counts than Overshown.   His vertical, 41.5, was better than any of the top LBs in this draft.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with Overhsown sort of in that mid round range but I think I'd take Dennis over him and that goes double if he can be had later in the draft as the draft media suspects.  

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 6.22.58 AM.png

• Like 5

If I get the correctly, we typically only use 2 backers quite often , is that right and is so how often do we use 3, etc what’s the stats on that, anyone got them ?

I looked at Overshown, Dorian Williams, Owen Pappoe, but was probably most intrigued by this prospect. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the LBs with little love, Dennis is my runner up to Pace.  I do like Pace more though because he just makes plays, play recognition skills, where he's always in the thick of the action, and rarely a beat behind and is a better pass rusher.

seems to me like we can get solid enough LB prospect in the mid rounds, pick 118 in the 4th may be that sweet spot.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

If I get the correctly, we typically only use 2 backers quite often , is that right and is so how often do we use 3, etc what’s the stats on that, anyone got them ?

I looked at Overshown, Dorian Williams, Owen Pappoe, but was probably most intrigued by this prospect. 

Haven't watched him.  though I hate watching highlights to judge LBs because I value consistency and you can't see that in highlights.

I'll watch him.  Judging by his stats, good pass rusher, misses a lot of tackles.  I have spread sheets that I compiled for most of these spots so it lets me compare stats quickly.  Diabete has the highest missed tackles rate in this class. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 6.48.49 AM.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll watch him.  Judging by his stats, good pass rusher, misses a lot of tackles.  I have spread sheets that I compiled for most of these spots so it lets me compare quickly.  Diabete has the highest missed tackles rate in this class. 

My God that’s impressive. The spreadsheet, not the missed tackle % for my guy that is :rofl89:

He’s certainly a tier down from the others, more than probably much later day 3 at best. Hard to tell, looking around various sites player rankings are all over the place.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 2

Just now, DWinzit said:

There are 3 LB's I really like that are 4th round projections. I hope one or two reach the 4th if we don't take a LB prior. I doubt they last til the 5th. 

I’d agree that’s the approach I hope we take. Moving back out of #16 for another pick or so in that 2/3/4 round range sure looks appealing.