Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

“We talk about players and replacing players, and ‘Well, if we let this guy go, we may save 10 [million dollars], but are we getting the production?’ So are you willing to risk production?” he said. “When I was in Carolina, one of the mistakes we made, too, was when we let [linebacker] Thomas Davis go [in 2019].

“Who was Thomas Davis’s replacement? Well, Shaq [Thompson]. … Shaq was our Buffalo [nickel defender]. We got Shaq out of college. Shaq not only played linebacker, but he played safety and running back. Well, we kept saying, ‘We can replace Thomas with Shaq at any time.’ OK, great, but who’s going to replace Shaq? ‘Well, we got this guy.’ But he didn’t have the same skill set as Shaq. So, even though we may be able to replace Thomas, we can’t replace Shaq — and Shaq was so important. ‘Well, we got a safety.’ But a safety doesn’t know how to fit [the run] like Shaq does, so we took a step back [as a defense in 2019].”

Remembering the past seemed to prompt Rivera toward the future.

“I’ve got to make sure that, when I sit down and I talk [to the new owner, and he says], 'Well, you got a lot of money spent on your [defensive] tackles,’ [I say], ‘Yes, but this is why.’ In today’s game, you’ve got to be able to get to the quarterback straight ahead. Once you get him going straight ahead, you’ve got to have guys on the outside that can run their [butts] off. ‘Well, that’s still a lot of money for your [tackles].’ Yeah, it is, but understand that the pass rush is going to help the secondary — and that’s what important.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/05/ron-rivera-commanders-sale-roster/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Yeah I thought about that too if Hooker's buzz now is that he's in that 15-23 range, etc, maybe that fosters a trading partner.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I like Banks a lot. I just feel like 16 is a wee bit too high for him. If we could move down to like the mid 20s he'd be perfect.  But it could be a Dotson type situation where we agonize over taking a guy a few picks too early and he ends up being really good and nobody really cares a year from now.

Me too.  Its sort of my point.  IMO Porter isn't a slam dunk we must take him kind of player at 16.

I wouldn't take Banks at 16 either though Logan Paulsen just did in his mock draft he did on a podcast the other day.

Keim is my lifeline as to guessing their draft intentions.  And he usually gets more specific 2 weeks or so out, where he starts suggesting players.

He's giving some mixed messages but he seems pretty clear that he feels that they favor O line over CB in round 1, they want to though land players in both spots and are open to BPA and do something else if the right player doesn't fall to them.  So that's a lot of wiggle room as to the point.  But hopefully he gets a more narrowed down take on this soon.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Been thinking about some of RR's recent quotes and i'm starting to think he grabs a playmaker in round one, possibly the top RB on the board or maybe a stud TE. If he truly feels like he's got one more shot to fix this then he might be leaning towards drafting for the short term over the long. With a young QB like Howell or even if it ends up being Brissett, having a stud running back is a great way to help them out and I don't know that RR is sold on BRob and Gibson being the tandem they think can do that for the QB's. Just my opinion but the state of this head coach makes me think this is gonna be an unusual draft in the 1st 3 rounds for the Redskins. 

I’m pretty open minded at this stage on the draft. I do think EB will have a massive influence, I’d be very shocked if we didn't add RB, WR and TE. He’ll pick one of each IMO.

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m pretty open minded at this stage on the draft. I do think EB will have a massive influence, I’d be very shocked if we didn't add RB, WR and TE. He’ll pick one of each IMO.

Dot, Mac and Curtis is a pretty formattable trio, so I doubt we go for anyone day 1/2, but day three I'd love to grab Mingo. Dudes a brawler like a Hines Ward and would really do a lot for our RAC. Kind of like a TE in a WRs body.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dot, Mac and Curtis is a pretty formattable trio, so I doubt we go for anyone day 1/2, but day three I'd love to grab Mingo. Dudes a brawler like a Hines Ward and would really do a lot for our RAC. Kind of like a TE in a WRs body.

I’d agree we have a good trio, however Samuel for me is a bit like Gibson, will EB be sold on him ? Plus the contract....

Something will give, there’s gonna be a move on the offensive playmaker side that shocks. IMO. Just think it coming.

I thought JSN was going to be very underrated this year, but that hasn't really played out.  He's only slightly underrated as a teens pick.

Bresee is the most underrated player in the class now.  He's a peer to Jalen Carter and a top five player in the class, and most places have him in the early second round.

11 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I thought JSN was going to be very underrated this year, but that hasn't really played out.  He's only slightly underrated as a teens pick.

Bresee is the most underrated player in the class now.  He's a peer to Jalen Carter and a top five player in the class, and most places have him in the early second round.

Haven't watched Breese yet.  But I did watch the segment about him and his sister, super sad story. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Haven't watched Breese yet.  But I did watch the segment about him and his sister, super sad story. 

Yeah it was.  He's a good dude.  The teams in the top five that are scared off of Jalen Carter by his character issues should be looking at Bresee instead.

He's a better Dexter Lawrence, another guy who was underdrafted.  The only thing I can think of that is killing his draft stock is something in his medicals.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah it was.  He's a good dude.  The teams in the top five that are scared off of Jalen Carter by his character issues should be looking at Bresee instead.

He's a better Dexter Lawrence, another guy who was underdrafted.  The only thing I can think of that is killing his draft stock is something in his medicals.

Top 5, you really think he’s ranked that high?

Funny that Walter Football still calls them the Redskins.  After the first tier, the 2nd tier to me is Bergeron  In that sort of third round, third tier range, Wanya might be the most intriguing tackle left for me.  Has 35 plus inch arms, massive hands.  At his best, he looks borderline elite at times, but he's up and down.  Has some boom-bust to him IMO. 

https://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft

16. WAS.gif Washington Redskins:

3/5: Oklahoma OT Wanya Morris said he spent significant time at the combine with the Colts, Eagles, and Redskins. 

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think ILB is worse off, too. I don't understand the sentiment that our CB group is a glaring, horrendous weakness.

Is it among the tops in the NFL? No. It's not. So in that way I do understand the desire to get a guy like Spoon, who I love as a prospect. 

I also understand if CB is the BPA at any of our picks that we snag one to fortify that group. It's certainly not perfect.

But it's not an awful spot.

Our glaring holes are at OL and LB. Potential issues at DE after 2023.

Amazing that the recent talk has been LB gets addressed in the 4th round at the earliest. 

Either that or wait to see if someone cuts a decent LB, they have interest in playing in Washington and we have the CAP space to bring them in

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Hendon Hooker is the elephant in the room.  There is a lot of smoke coming off that fire, kind of surprised at how little discussion that generated.  Having Bienemy go to his Pro Day and now having him come visit, those are huge signs of interest in him.

I've always liked his fit for us because I thought that we could red shirt him if need be and use the year to see if Sam Howell can play.  But if he truly is on track to be ready for training camp, that's very interesting.  That's Joe Burrowesque, and there are already a lot of easy points of comparison between Hooker and Burrow.

Feels weird, but I think Hooker's draft ceiling could be 16.  And I think the trade down talk puts us in Hooker range too.

Sure hope this turns out to them blowing smoke....a smoke screen. The last thing this organization needs this year is high QB draft pick. If they draft a QB it should be on day 3. Too much potential in flux going into next year with ownership/front office/GM/coaching questions

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Sure hope this turns out to them blowing smoke....a smoke screen. The last thing this organization needs this year is high QB draft pick. If they draft a QB it should be on day 3. Too much potential in flux going into next year with ownership/front office/GM/coaching questions

I agree.  But there is the lottery pick temptation to someone like Hooker.  If he pans out, you've changed the franchise in one draft pick.

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I agree.  But there is the lottery pick temptation to someone like Hooker.  If he pans out, you've changed the franchise in one draft pick.

Understood. With all the upgrades this roster requires, I think assets are used better elsewhere, especially this year.

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I wanted to add that Similar to how EB did things in KC, I could seriously see them looking later at like Tune or Haener type.

Or even later or post draft at guys like Clifford, Tyson Bagent, Golatt types to sit on the PS

Henden Hooker is the 5th best QB prospect this year.  He is not a first round draft pick.  Average arm, concerns with mobility after an acl tear.  He does get rid of the ball quick which is most important in the NFL.  Hopefully we are evaluating him incase he slips to the 3rd or 4th. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Henden Hooker is the 5th best QB prospect this year.  He is not a first round draft pick.  Average arm, concerns with mobility after an acl tear.  He does get rid of the ball quick which is most important in the NFL.  Hopefully we are evaluating him incase he slips to the 3rd or 4th. 

Any chance that are supposed interest in Hooker is just a smokescreen to get someone to trade up to our pick? I would think that's all part of it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Top 5, you really think he’s ranked that high?

Yeah.  Nobody can block that dude.  Georgia and Tennessee had NFL linemen, some of whom are going to get drafted high, and even they couldn't hold their blocks on him.

Bresee shucks and plays through blocks like the special ones do.  He's got great hands paired with elite speed and size.  I think he's also got the playmaker's gene to where he finds the ball, and beating blocks are a means to an end for him.  He's not a patty-caker who is just trying to beat the man in front of him, he's playing to disrupt the play.  And that includes being patient and sniffing out misdirection, where I thought he was consistently the most heads up player in Clemson's front.

Basically, I think he's something like Jonathan Allen but with Payne's first step.  I'm kind of surprised that Jalen Carter is universally loved by the draftniks (rightfully so, the kid is a stud), but Bresee isn't.  They're very similar players, except Bresee is taller and more burly.

• Like 2