Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, method man said:

New ownership will be in place by draft time so they could potentially stop Rivera from taking a project QB. I don’t think the Turner extension stops him from being fired. He conceivably has 2 years left on his deal at $1M/yr. Not expensive to fire hin

I hope you’re right about. 

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm posting this now because I don't want to be talked or tricked into accepting this team's decision to draft Anthony Richardson in the first round over the next four months:

We are ****ing insane if we let Ron waste a first round pick (or god help us, more than that) on a QB in a lame duck situation.

We are insane to think the that the tenth QB might be the charm with him.  We are insane to run it back another year with Scott Turner here, I'm praying to God we at least get a little glimmer of clarity and fire that ****ing moron after next week, but I don't have a lot of hope for that.  Regardless, we would be insane to give him another QB to ruin.

And we are insane if we pick a project QB for a lame duck staff over stocking the cupboard for the next regime with a universally translatable stud like Jaxon Smith-Njigba.  I don't care if CJ Stroud or Will Levis or Anthony Richardson pan out big for their NFL teams, they will not do so here.  Not unless there is a whole new regime in place picking them.

Buckle up. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I know this is a draft thread, but when evaluating Richardson, I want to see some thoughts on who they should bring in to be a QB coach/OC if they were to land him.  I bet we end up picking 12th, and he could very well be on the board.

I mean I think first you have to talk HC. We’re dealing in a utopia here so my current two guys would be Eric Bienemy (hard to say no because he’s been wanting a chance for years, so saying no looks bad on him) and Demeco Ryans.

If it’s Ryans, a Reich type could do well.

Bienemy probably could help a bit.

Sean Payton is a pipe dream but let’s throw him in there, too.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean I think first you have to talk HC. We’re dealing in a utopia here so my current two guys would be Eric Bienemy (hard to say no because he’s been wanting a chance for years, so saying no looks bad on him) and Demeco Ryans.

If it’s Ryans, a Reich type could do well.

Bienemy probably could help a bit.

Sean Payton is a pipe dream but let’s throw him in there, too.

If its Bezos I fully except an analytical and youthful approach to modern football. Richardson fits that to a T. True Dual Threat QBs are just too impactful in making football 11v11 instead of the standard 10v11 of yesteryear. 

Ryans would depend on who he could get an OC. Id rather go the OC route to a HC spot due to continuity in the offense. Far too many examples of a Defensive HC with a bright OC leaving just to have the offense leave with said OC.

EB is an enigma at this point.

Sean Payton Im out on. I desperately want a GM in place with control. Its the only thing that we havent tried over the last 20 years. That wont be Payton. 

Some names I can see in 24 (new owner wont be in place soon enough for a coaching staff construction):

Steichen Eagles. Hopefully he lasts another season.

Ken Dorsey Bills

Ben Johnson Lions

Frank Reich was screwed like everyone else when Luck retired. They were in the same spot of being in the middle with zero path to getting the high end QB

Press Taylor Jaguars

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

If its Bezos I fully except an analytical and youthful approach to modern football. Richardson fits that to a T. True Dual Threat QBs are just too impactful in making football 11v11 instead of the standard 10v11 of yesteryear. 

Ryans would depend on who he could get an OC. Id rather go the OC route to a HC spot due to continuity in the offense. Far too many examples of a Defensive HC with a bright OC leaving just to have the offense leave with said OC.

EB is an enigma at this point.

Sean Payton Im out on. I desperately want a GM in place with control. Its the only thing that we havent tried over the last 20 years. That wont be Payton. 

Some names I can see in 24 (new owner wont be in place soon enough for a coaching staff construction):

Steichen Eagles. Hopefully he lasts another season.

Ken Dorsey Bills

Ben Johnson Lions

Frank Reich was screwed like everyone else when Luck retired. They were in the same spot of being in the middle with zero path to getting the high end QB

Press Taylor Jaguars

I’d be on board with Dorsey.

25 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I have been looking at Richardson. Have any of these Qb project who had not put it together in college done it in the pros? I can't think of one.

Josh Allen wasn’t a great collegiate QB. But he was better than Richardson.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’d be on board with Dorsey

The way they designed the offense around the Skills and body of Josh is masterful. His size and speed is an asset to be used. They arent afraid to and pick their spots great to utilize him without much risk. 

That the thing with Richardson. I just don't think he will put it together. I have a feeling Raiders will take him put him behind Brady for two years.

Richardson will get picked in top ten, I don't think he will be there for us but I think it is much more likely he is Cardale Jones then Cam Newton. I just don't see him putting it together.

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

That the thing with Richardson. I just don't think he will put it together. I have a feeling Raiders will take him put him behind Brady for two years.

Richardson will get picked in top ten, I don't think he will be there for us but I think it is much more likely he is Cardale Jones then Cam Newton. I just don't see him putting it together.

Most arent debating the merit of the move. Just that it’s a very real possibility. 

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

The way they designed the offense around the Skills and body of Josh is masterful. His size and speed is an asset to be used. They arent afraid to and pick their spots great to utilize him without much risk. 

How much of the design/development was Daboll versus Dorsey?  I do like Johnson from Detroit a lot though.  Not sure he gets past this cycle.

3 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Believe it was Galdi who did the research on this in the offseason before the Wentz trade went through. Essentially your QB draft pick plays before week 8-9 or its pretty much confirmed hes a bust. In modern QB drafting (post rookie wage scale) only Pat Mahomes has sat and succeeded in becoming a franchise QB.

The sitting and developing thing is a relic of the past. 

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

How much of the design/development was Daboll versus Dorsey?  I do like Johnson from Detroit a lot though.  Not sure he gets past this cycle.

Was probably Dorsey taking what Daboll established and built on it. Dorsey is incredibly intelligent. He was the QB on that vaunted Hurricanes team. And, one of those things on that team was not like the others. He wasn’t a stud. Didn’t have a huge arm. Didn’t have the major QB intangibles 

But he was smart. And knew what to do in every situation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Was probably Dorsey taking what Daboll established and built on it. Dorsey is incredibly intelligent. He was the QB on that vaunted Hurricanes team. And, one of those things on that team was not like the others. He wasn’t a stud. Didn’t have a huge arm. Didn’t have the major QB intangibles 

But he was smart. And knew what to do in every situation. 

And he comes from an analytical heavy franchise 

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Believe it was Galdi who did the research on this in the offseason before the Wentz trade went through. Essentially your QB draft pick plays before week 8-9 or its pretty much confirmed hes a bust. In modern QB drafting (post rookie wage scale) only Pat Mahomes has sat and succeeded in becoming a franchise QB.

I get that.  But the guys who are typically going to be your franchise QBs get drafted by teams high enough where they are the best option to play right away.  Mahomes may be the only recent example, but there really haven’t been many examples where that was the plan.  The jury is out on Lance, but I wouldn’t say SF is an organization that makes bad moves.  I would call Hurts a franchise guy, I know you don’t because he’s not a first rounder and was a wasted pick, but he didn’t start until after week 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’d be on board with Dorsey.

Josh Allen wasn’t a great collegiate QB. But he was better than Richardson.

It’d be so cool if Dorsey could go get a bunch of his U teammates as position coaches lol. There is an ESPN article about the 2001 championship team where they interviewed 20 people who were a part of that team and they highlight how Dorsey and Ed Reed were amazing leaders

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Yep Ben Johnson is my fave candidate too assuming he has leadership ability. I agree too we will miss out because he will not last through this cycle. Hope he heads to the AFC

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Because nobody does it anymore. That's no reason to think it can't work. Some guys need work.

If you draft Richardson he needs a lot of work. To not give him that work because it "isn't done anymore' is really dumb thinking. 

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Because nobody does it anymore. That's no reason to think it can't work. Some guys need work.

If you draft Richardson he needs a lot of work. To not give him that work because it "isn't done anymore' is really dumb thinking. 

It raises the question of whether those guys who need work should be first round prospects or should go in Day 2 like Willis did. 

• Like 1