Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Percy Butler Safety Louisiana

PCS

On 4/30/2022 at 7:29 PM, KDawg said:

https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/1903015001

Should have linked the article to begin with.

Yeah i watched plenty of Hudson's college games.  He was a good nickel player - played like his hair was on fire.  Team leader, too.   One downside is short arms.  I think he got hurt last year so it never came together for him but he strikes me as a viable option this year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

It is very possible that that tweet has given Percy Butler his permanent NFL nickname. From this day forward, he will be known as butt rockets.

Percy "butt rockets" Butler

For his sake, I hope it doesn't stick.

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It is very possible that that tweet has given Percy Butler his permanent NFL nickname. From this day forward, he will be known as butt rockets.

Percy "butt rockets" Butler

For his sake, I hope it doesn't stick.

If it does, it means he's stuck around.  No one will remember it if he's not a memorable player.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah i watched plenty of Hudson's college games.  He was a good nickel player - played like his hair was on fire.  Team leader, too.   One downside is short arms.  I think he got hurt last year so it never came together for him but he strikes me as a viable option this year.

That PFF board looks tasty. I think we got ourselves a player.

Calling it now, this kid is starting by mid season at the latest.

“The guy does everything,” Desormeaux said. “He can play out of the post, he can slot cover, he can pressure, he can drop and play the underneath zones. He’s got a body of work over a long period of time that says this guy can really play in the NFL.”

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sports/ul_lafayette/article_6ada0920-c5ab-11ec-ab4a-4b88872014f5.html

I can only find 2 games of his to watch and its tough to really get a handle on him without the all 22 since they had him play deep a ton so he was out of the picture a lot in those games literally.   Based on that granted short sample I dig this pick.  I am a sucker for safeties who cover and play with energy like him. 

Between what i can see in those two games and his highlights

Pros:

A.  Plays like his hair is on fire -- a lot of energy

B.  Fasts and plays fast

C.  The special teams highlights makes him look like a potential elite gunner

D.  In that Daxton Hill version of hybrid safety.  FS-CB combination.  They had him cover Wrs on some plays I watched.  And played some single high albiet from what i saw mostly split coverage

E.  i am extrapolating some but it looks like the way he plays I can see him being good on corner blitzes

F.  when he plays in the box he finds his way to be around the ball and part of the action

Cons

A. Like a lot of aggressive safeties he overshoots his targets

B.  He needs to learn to wrap up his tackles -- so players don't bounce off of him

C.  He needs to bulk up some

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can only find 2 games of his to watch and its tough to really get a handle on him without the all 22 since they had him play deep a ton so he was out of the picture a lot in those games literally.   Based on that granted short sample I dig this pick.  I am a sucker for safeties who cover and play with energy like him. 

Between what i can see in those two games and his highlights

Pros:

A.  Plays like his hair is on fire -- a lot of energy

B.  Fasts and plays fast

C.  The special teams highlights makes him look like a potential elite gunner

D.  In that Daxton Hill version of hybrid safety.  FS-CB combination.  They had him cover Wrs on some plays I watched.  And played some single high albiet from what i saw mostly split coverage

E.  i am extrapolating some but it looks like the way he plays I can see him being good on corner blitzes

F.  when he plays in the box he finds his way to be around the ball and part of the action

Cons

A. Like a lot of aggressive safeties he overshoots his targets

B.  He needs to learn to wrap up his tackles -- so players don't bounce off of him

C.  He needs to bulk up some

He's basically a raw Daxton Hill. The 4.36 speed is legit.

I'm loving this draft the more articles I read and videos I watch on our guys.

We're getting terrible draft grades from the "experts"... So it makes me love it even more. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

9 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

He's basically a raw Daxton Hill. The 4.36 speed is legit.

I'm loving this draft the more articles I read and videos I watch on our guys.

We're getting terrible draft grades from the "experts"... So it makes me love it even more. 

the irony is you can find some experts who do for example dig Butler or name that pick that was criticized.  But if the perceived more famous mock drafters don't agree, then the pick has to be wrong. :ols:

I was listening to the dude who gave us the worst draft grade (D minus), Nystrom, talk about it on a Galdi podcast, and he goes over the players they took and he likes almost all of them but his criticism was simply that he didn't like their value compared to where they had him on his own board so in short in his mind they took them too early.  i am listening and thinking dude you like almost every player they took yet you gave them a D minus?  It felt like just crapping on them for the sake of doing it.

Mike Tanier, the Football Outsiders guy, of course is going to crap on it.  His hatred for this team is borderline unhealthy.  I get the Football Outsiders season preview books every year and almost all of them when they talk about Washington lead off with just an odd off the rails rant about the team. 

As i am typing this i am listening to Sheehan on the radio say the Eagles are now the best team in the division, at first goes we are the third best, then goes a few minutes later we are behind the Giants.   But he thinks. this is a borderline playoff team but feels they end up short.   

I think the "experts" are sleeping on this team this season.  I think that's good.  The rare times where we got some love, that season typically ends up disappointing.

• Like 1

I think Butler has potential.

But his film doesn't speak 4th round to me. He is hesitant at the POA if the ball carrier has some space. You can tell he's afraid of getting juked.

When he does come downhill his head goes straight down and he doesn't keep his eyes on the hip of the ballcarrier.

So if he makes contact he blasts them, and it's highlight worthy. But he also could break his neck.

That is also why he's terrified of missing in the open field. He can't see his target.

He's fast and rangey, Clearly a high end athlete. I don't know how great he is at recognizing plays but his athleticism comes into play where he's fast enough at diagnosing most things that he can catch back up athletically. 

If he fixes the tackling issue, carries some swag that he should have, and studies up I think he could be a good addition to the roster. But coming in he has work to do. And I think we'll find out real quick if he is fixing those issues. They don't take long to correct, or at least signs of improvement. And I know the coaches will be on him about those things so... if you see him dipping his head all the time he's struggling to get a handle on it and doesn't want to change his style of play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Butler has potential.

When he does come downhill his head goes straight down and he doesn't keep his eyes on the hip of the ballcarrier.

So if he makes contact he blasts them, and it's highlight worthy. But he also could break his neck.

That is also why he's terrified of missing in the open field. He can't see his target.

I don't understand how this hasn't been coached out of him. He's probably been playing organized football since middle school. Don't they teach proper tackling techniques there, in high school, in college?

I know he's not alone in this, but it baffles me how "see what you hit" is not part of every football player's foundation.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't understand how this hasn't been coached out of him. He's probably been playing organized football since middle school. Don't they teach proper tackling techniques there, in high school, in college?

I know he's not alone in this, but it baffles me how "see what you hit" is not part of every football player's foundation.

It is. But HS and youth in particular they will constantly yell "HEAD UP!" but there is a lack of coaches so sometimes they don't give it the attention necessary.

It's a point of emphasis for me and the staff around me on the team I coach. But we are lucky to have five coaches, more in spring/summer work when we go with the JV guys more often. But there are some schools that don't have that many. There are some schools with 2 JV coaches, so then they don't get the attention until they are varsity. And in other states/areas they may have less total coaches due to socioeconomics.

In college they probably worked on it. But he reverts.

But now he's a pro. Sometimes when guys are just so much better than their level they stick to what they know because they find success. As soon as he sees it's not going to work maybe he'll lightbulb.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It is. But HS and youth in particular they will constantly yell "HEAD UP!" but there is a lack of coaches so sometimes they don't give it the attention necessary.

It's a point of emphasis for me and the staff around me on the team I coach. But we are lucky to have five coaches, more in spring/summer work when we go with the JV guys more often. But there are some schools that don't have that many. There are some schools with 2 JV coaches, so then they don't get the attention until they are varsity. And in other states/areas they may have less total coaches due to socioeconomics.

In college they probably worked on it. But he reverts.

But now he's a pro. Sometimes when guys are just so much better than their level they stick to what they know because they find success. As soon as he sees it's not going to work maybe he'll lightbulb.

Knowing what I know about him from guys in Lafayette, I have all the faith in the world the light bulb will go off for him on that type of stuff.

Also judging by Ron and Martys high praise at the presser, I have a feeling they expect him to play early and often, and I don't mean just on special teams.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

somehow though it comes together for him on a gunner on special teams as far as hitting his target.  Seems like the consensus (right or wrong) that he's the best special teams player in this draft. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

somehow though it comes together for him on a gunner on special teams as far as hitting his target.  Seems like the consensus (right or wrong) that he's the best special teams player in this draft. 

That's his floor. An elite gunner. Mid-tier ROI is a developmental replacement to McCain. Excellent ROI is starter at FS/Corner hybrid by mid season. I lean towards the latter. If they didn't feel he could contribute right away they would have taken Howell first and tried to scoop him in the 5th. Special teams only players don't typically get drafted in the 4th. I think he will play.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On specs he doesn’t do it as much. It’s like a strange habit for him on D.

• Like 1

This happens to me every year. The focus is on the Top 30-60 names and then you just gravitate to whatever headlines or twitter bits you can find on any other prospects in positions of perceived need. It isn't until after the draft, when you can focus on the 7-8 guys you did get, that you get the full picture on a prospect and maybe catch some positive reviews on a player you otherwise missed.

That's Percy Butler for me. I said "HUH" when we picked him. I thought we could go Verone McKinnley. Anyway, I really like what I've read on Butler and think we have a really young and dynamic safety group now. My concern shifts wholly to LB, where we literally did nothing at our biggest position of need this off-season lol.

I liked Forrest a ton last year. He was raw, so didn't necessarily expect an immediate 2021 impact. But I like the idea of McCain - Butler - Forrest at FS. That's a lot of talent and depth and speed at a position that we've typically had very little depth or quality at.

Curl at SS backed up by Reaves is also pretty decent, assuming one of the FS can slide over to SS in a pinch. The question becomes that Buffalo Nickel because it will make the lack of LB a little more palatable. 

Adding Landon Collins back into the mix really completes the defense.

Jackson - McCain - Curl - Fuller

Holcomb - Davis - Collins

Young - Allen - Payne - Sweat

Really solid starters, and then you've got really deep backups everywhere except LB hah.