Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Percy Butler Safety Louisiana

PCS

On 5/6/2022 at 5:00 PM, CommanderInTheRye said:

In my day I’ve hired and trained well over a thousand young men and women (no double fisting jokes please). 🤪

You can never tell who’s going to make it but one essential quality for success on every level of endeavor can be summed up in one word— enthusiasm.

Without it you may get by but you’ll never be an elite performer.

This kid has the kind of enthusiasm I’d want to work with…

Better than sleeping in…

• Like 3

I have a lot more confidence that Butler can be impactful at free safety than I do at that hybrid spot. Though he could absolutely do it on occasion just to keep teams guessing. 

I just hope he starts to see what he hits more often. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My vote would be for Coby Bryant on that list but hope Butler knocks it out of the park

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I have a lot more confidence that Butler can be impactful at free safety than I do at that hybrid spot. Though he could absolutely do it on occasion just to keep teams guessing. 

I just hope he starts to see what he hits more often. 

Agreed with Free or Hybrid and the whole tackling concern!

On 5/10/2022 at 7:43 AM, DWinzit said:

My vote would be for Coby Bryant on that list but hope Butler knocks it out of the park

I liked Bryant but for me it would be Pierce.  Butler intrigues me.  I wasn't much of McFadden again so if I had to bet against that list he'd be the dude I'd bet against.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

12 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Keims podcast with Butler's college coach.

I listened to it last night.  His coach in short loved him.  High intangibles.  Works hard.  Tough -- played hurt.  Tone setter.  Smart. 

I listened to Logan Paulsen's new podcast with Hoffman, Paulson is also hyped about Butler.  If I recall so was Bullock.  Both have access I believe to the all 22 which I think you need to evaluate Butler because he plays so deep so often -- a true post safety. 

I'd say at a minimum, we've had mostly strong safety types who we had play coverage.  Same issue for many other NFL teams because it seems like there is a bigger supply of strong safety types.  

Butler profile was is a pure FS.  Paulsen was raving about his range in the backfield, saying he plays as fast as his 4.3ish speed.  When was the last time we had that?   And Paulsen isn't an easy get, he lends to being cynical so it was good for me to hear he liked what he saw.   For me i don't have enough games to watch and don't see him well enough on too many reps because he's playing deep and thereby out of the full range of the camera for me to form an opinion that i feel confident in.  So on this one I'll ride more on those who had that All-22 tape. 

Some say Nicholson was another run at this type of player but the thing with him is he was somewhat trashed as being soft and an underacheiver when we drafted him.   He was obviously a knucklehead too.  Butler at least by the accounts of people who know him is a high intangible, good dude, hard worker player.  Nicholson somewhat had the opposite profile.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, we may finally have the deep true center fielding FS that I've been banging the table forever about. That would be great, even though teams aren't playing the single high much these days.

Even if it's not something we do often, just having that flexibility to run it occasionally makes the defense more lethal. The more we can disguise and do with our personnel the better.

We can show cover two, hell, even cover 0 pre-snap... And Butler has the speed to bail to deep FS. 

Really excited to see how Del Rio plays with our weapons on defense. Hopefully we get creative. I want to see multiple safety looks and disguised coverages. I'd also like to see Shaka Toney deployed as a Bruce Irvin Rush-Sam backer, or at least just rushing from a two point stance more often all over the defense. Like a Micah Parsons blitzing role. He has the skill-set.

Percy and McCain can both play slot. They say Percy can handle Buffalo Nickel. We know Curl can play Strong and Buffalo. Ferrod Gardner and Khaleke Hudson could get looks as Landon Collins replacements.

We've got some really exciting personnel options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to it last night.  His coach in short loved him.  High intangibles.  Works hard.  Tough -- played hurt.  Tone setter.  Smart. 

I listened to Logan Paulsen's new podcast with Hoffman, Paulson is also hyped about Butler.  If I recall so was Bullock.  Both have access I believe to the all 22 which I think you need to evaluate Butler because he plays so deep so often -- a true post safety. 

I'd say at a minimum, we've had mostly strong safety types who we had play coverage.  Same issue for many other NFL teams because it seems like there is a bigger supply of strong safety types.  

Butler profile was is a pure FS.  Paulsen was raving about his range in the backfield, saying he plays as fast as his 4.3ish speed.  When was the last time we had that?   And Paulsen isn't an easy get, he lends to being cynical so it was good for me to hear he liked what he saw.   For me i don't have enough games to watch and don't see him well enough on too many reps because he's playing deep and thereby out of the full range of the camera for me to form an opinion that i feel confident in.  So on this one I'll ride more on those who had that All-22 tape. 

Some say Nicholson was another run at this type of player but the thing with him is he was somewhat trashed as being soft and an underacheiver when we drafted him.   He was obviously a knucklehead too.  Butler at least by the accounts of people who know him is a high intangible, good dude, hard worker player.  Nicholson somewhat had the opposite profile.  

I also liked how highly he spoke of Ferrod Gardner at the end of the interview. Billy Napier said he thinks he makes the team.

I mean there's a reason he was a priority UDFA over other guys. Excited to see both Cajuns play in the pre-season. Can't get here soon enough.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I also liked how highly he spoke of Ferrod Gardner at the end of the interview. Billy Napier said he thinks he makes the team.

I mean there's a reason he was a priority UDFA over other guys. Excited to see both Cajuns play in the pre-season. Can't get here soon enough.

Agree, though not as effusive as he was for Butler but he did think he had an outside chance of being drafted.  Someone else interviewed about Butler from that school forgetting whom also plugged Gardner.  He's a bit undersized for a LB so am guessing they see him as a hybrid type.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, though not as effusive as he was for Butler but he did think he had an outside chance of being drafted.  Someone else interviewed about Butler from that school forgetting whom also plugged Gardner.  He's a bit undersized for a LB so am guessing they see him as a hybrid type.

Yeah he's actually listed as a Safety on the teams UDFA signings announcement.

I can't remember the last time a coach spoke so confidently of a 4th rounder getting more than half the snaps on defense right after the draft. Not to mention he appears not cut from the mold of the position he implies he will play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I can't remember the last time a coach spoke so confidently of a 4th rounder getting more than half the snaps on defense right after the draft. Not to mention he appears not cut from the mold of the position he implies he will play.

Decent chance when he's in "Buffalo", it's a steady rotation between McCain, him, and Curl that based on personnel/formation/opponent for who is actually manning Buffalo and who is dropping back at the snap to safety level.

I share everyone else's questions about him at Buffalo for 50% of the snaps, but if it just means when Buffalo is being used, he's a safety and Curl/McCain come down to Buffalo then that's more reasonable.  I just don't want him taking snaps from Curl.  Find a way to play all of them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked Bryant but for me it would be Pierce.  Butler intrigues me.  I wasn't much of McFadden again so if I had to bet against that list he'd be the dude I'd bet against.

Pierce is my favorite player on the list but he has a lot of competition in the backfield. My gut is Bryant has the biggest impact, he is solid.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:14 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I wanted Pierce so bad. Strong as an ox, relatively little wear on the tires for a top RB, and some sick power combined with change of direction in the open field. I think he's gonna be good.

On 5/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Decent chance when he's in "Buffalo", it's a steady rotation between McCain, him, and Curl that based on personnel/formation/opponent for who is actually manning Buffalo and who is dropping back at the snap to safety level.

I share everyone else's questions about him at Buffalo for 50% of the snaps, but if it just means when Buffalo is being used, he's a safety and Curl/McCain come down to Buffalo then that's more reasonable.  I just don't want him taking snaps from Curl.  Find a way to play all of them.

We may opt to play him at buffalo nickel but is that really the best position for him? He seems like more of a pure FS to me. And one of the knocks against him is his tackling inconsistency. Probably not something you want from a guy who plays closer to the LOS.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/03/percy-butler-brian-mitchell/

Until 11th grade, Butler was a multisport athlete, starring on the football field, the track and the diamond. He handled shortstop and center field for the Green Devils but admitted he played “the whole outfield.”

So it shouldn’t be a surprise that some analysts, such as Chris Simms, viewed Butler as the best “pure safety” in his draft class, showcasing range, rare speed and an eagerness to hit.

Butler’s ability to play safety and nickelback in defensive subpackages drew Washington to the 22-year-old. So far at training camp, he has proved a standout in more ways than one.

Early on, Butler has been all over the field, deflecting and intercepting passes. His teammates, including the receivers who went against him, lauded him as a young player who has impressed.

“I want to prove that I can come in and learn — and I can play,” Butler said. “A lot of people were talking about special teams coming in. I can do everything at a high level.”

Defensive backs coach Chris Harris describes Butler as “football smart,” with the savvy to understand the game fully and be able to pick up the scheme quickly. He noted Butler’s speed (he ran a 4.36 in the 40-yard dash at the combine) and physicality, traits that the Commanders seek on defense.

“Especially from the safety role and our back end, [we want] guys that can come up, guys that can cover, guys that can run,” Harris added. “The traditional safety, like myself when I was playing, those days are gone and out the window. And so guys got to be able to run. You got to be able to match. You may not be able to cover all wide receivers, but you need to be able to match up and cover some receivers in the slot, and that makes you a little bit more versatile. And so he has those traits that we like in our safety spot.”

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/03/percy-butler-brian-mitchell/

Until 11th grade, Butler was a multisport athlete, starring on the football field, the track and the diamond. He handled shortstop and center field for the Green Devils but admitted he played “the whole outfield.”

So it shouldn’t be a surprise that some analysts, such as Chris Simms, viewed Butler as the best “pure safety” in his draft class, showcasing range, rare speed and an eagerness to hit.

Butler’s ability to play safety and nickelback in defensive subpackages drew Washington to the 22-year-old. So far at training camp, he has proved a standout in more ways than one.

Early on, Butler has been all over the field, deflecting and intercepting passes. His teammates, including the receivers who went against him, lauded him as a young player who has impressed.

“I want to prove that I can come in and learn — and I can play,” Butler said. “A lot of people were talking about special teams coming in. I can do everything at a high level.”

Defensive backs coach Chris Harris describes Butler as “football smart,” with the savvy to understand the game fully and be able to pick up the scheme quickly. He noted Butler’s speed (he ran a 4.36 in the 40-yard dash at the combine) and physicality, traits that the Commanders seek on defense.

“Especially from the safety role and our back end, [we want] guys that can come up, guys that can cover, guys that can run,” Harris added. “The traditional safety, like myself when I was playing, those days are gone and out the window. And so guys got to be able to run. You got to be able to match. You may not be able to cover all wide receivers, but you need to be able to match up and cover some receivers in the slot, and that makes you a little bit more versatile. And so he has those traits that we like in our safety spot.”

Love having baseball guys who are skilled in tracking the ball flight.  Desean Jackson was an example of an OF who used those skills to his advantage on deep balls.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sound like this may have been a steal of a pick for us. A rangy center fielding deep safety would be outstanding for us. 

If Forrest is coming on like we had hoped, our safety room starts looking fantastic.

Ron was always so good at drafting late round picks in the secondary in Carolina and turning them into good players. Norman, Bradbury, etc. Seems like it’s continuing here with Curl, and now hopefully one or a couple out of Butler, Forrest, Holmes pan out.

I feel good about the secondary and I think D will be much better. I think they should really consider a trade of some kind to bring in another presence at LB.

• Like 2