Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Percy Butler Safety Louisiana

PCS

The other trademark innovation of that Jim Knowles defense that is on display in that Oklahoma game: watch #9.  That's Brock Martin and they call him the LEO and look at how he moves all over the front and plays in just about every gap over the course of the game.  That is very similar to what Dan Quinn did with Micah Parsons last season, to devastating effect.  I would love for us to use Chase Young that way, and IMO, that's how you truly unleash Chase's potential and get him into game-wrecker mode.  Move him all over, simplify his reads, and tell him to just go get the ball.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't know that I would project stardom, but leadership doesn't always have to coincide with stardom.  Ryan Clark is the quintessential leader FS type and it was more about him just being super smart and confident and gregarious and able to get people on the right page, even with guys who were better than him and authentic members of what I call "the warrior elite."

We've got warrior elite guys in Allen and Chase.  Daron's got a little bit of that in him too.  But you need a Gandalf to go along with your Gimli and Legolas.  I don't really know anything about Butler's personality, but it sounds to me like he's extroverted and confident and smart.  And he's super fast, which is a good source for confidence.  So he could have the ingredients for leadership once he gets experience.

I agree that it sounds odd, but maybe we're pigeon-holing that nickel hybrid defender incorrectly?  We're thinking of the guy as a press-man or short zone defender who will spend his time near the line of scrimmage, but this doesn't have to be the case. 

I watched a video about Jim Knowles's defensive philosophy and now I'm watching Oklahoma State's defensive cut ups and they usually play their nickel defender at depth.  It's basically a three high look where they will often drop the nickel into a deep half with one of the safeties and roll the other safety down from depth so that, as a QB, you can't tell which two DBs are going to be the deep zone defenders.  Or the nickel will have the short zone responsibility, but you can't tell prior to the snap because all three DBs are lined up at nearly equal depth.  Check out this game to see what I mean:

It's a really clever scheme because it makes it pretty easy to rotate/disguise your zone responsibilities and it makes it really hard for the QB to tell who is going to be guarding things like slants.  I could definitely see Butler being a fit for this kind of role because the keys to playing it well are being smart and being fast and able to close on shallow breaks in the middle of the field from depth.

Side note: Malcolm Rodriguez (#20) is such a stud.  Elite athlete for a LBer, elite production, best player on a kickass defense.  I think we're going to regret picking Cole Turner over him.  Harper (#16) is nice, really annoying that the Cowboys got him.  Their LBer room is ridiculous: Parsons, Vander Esch, Cox, plus now Harper and Damone Clark.  Probably the best in the NFL at the position.

As I mentioned to you before the draft, Rodriguez struck me too as a good player.  though I wanted Cole Turner, he made the list of my guys for me.  so will see about Rodriguez versus Turner.  But I did like both players.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Pitching Butler as a candidate to be the buffalo nickel seems odd to me. Maybe I misunderstand the position. It reads like he's a center fielding coverage safety not a in the box blitzing safety who's half linebacker.

I think the entire thing is to promote position flex and not give away what we're doing from whos on the field. He may not be as good of a tackler, but from what I hear its from him being overaggressive, which can be a positive (or not as bad of a negative). But the thing is that if he is on the field, is it still BN or is it slot or is it something else altogether? I think that's what they're lookingfor. What he said yesterday was that he'd eb playing 50% of the snaps this year. That's what I want to hear and not necessarily where he'd be playing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Is Butler this year's Terry McLaurin? I guess we'll find out in camp. I remember McLaurin being so good that Jay Gruden and co. literally didn't play him at all in preseason because it was so obvious he was a beast and he certainly showed that from the opener on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Is Butler this year's Terry McLaurin? I guess we'll find out in camp. I remember McLaurin being so good that Jay Gruden and co. literally didn't play him at all in preseason because it was so obvious he was a beast and he certainly showed that from the opener on.

They certainly believe in him from the sounds of it so far. I think the plan is Percy showing them that he is who they think he is in camp, and if he is Landon stays a free agent.

I'm more worried about Linebacker at this point. Praying that someone solid gets cut, or we trade for a diamond in the rough guy for low round draft capital like we did for Flowers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Damn I hope Butler turns out to be this years Kam Curl. That will do me. We didn’t address the issue at all at safety in the offseason. Imagine Butler turning out to be a baller like Curl. Both day 3 picks. I spent the whole offseason wanting us to sign a FA that  eventually got a 70mil FA deal. 

Can we strike rich on day 3 again ?

• Like 2

I think Ron is making a mistake in talking this kid up so much with our fan base. 

A lot of people have that "Coach said it, it's true, he's going to be awesome!" mentality and that's dangerous for a prospect.

The kid struggles out of the gate at all and the piranha are out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My thing on Butler is he played too deep and i don't have access to enough games for me to get a good read on him in total.  Bullock liked him and he typically has access to the All-22, and Bullock tends to be objective -- i don't always agree with him but I often do.

Just found two games on You Tube to watch, one of the two was the Texas game and Bullock said that was his worst game and tackled better in other games.  I'll take his word for it. I liked from what I could see as I mentioned the energy he played with, he was around the ball, and coverage skills.  Tackling not so much.  But I did watch apparently his worst game on that front.  And for him to be a killer gunner, he'd need to have some decent chops as a tackler so I assume he can develop on that front.

The thing that's odd to me is all the Buffalo nickel talk from Ron.  Maybe he just loves saying Buffalo? 😀     These days you typically got two types of hybrid nickels the FS/CB type ala a Daxton Hill and IMO Percy Butler or the LB/SS type like a Landon Collins.  So it made more sense hearing Keim describe them as seeing Butler as a hybrid nickel but Curl might play the big nickel part if they don't sign someone still. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing that's odd to me is all the Buffalo nickel talk from Ron.  Maybe he just loves saying Buffalo? 😀     These days you typically got two types of hybrid nickels the FS/CB type ala a Daxton Hill and IMO Percy Butler or the LB/SS type like a Landon Collins.  So it made more sense hearing Keim describe them as seeing Butler as a hybrid nickel but Curl might play the big nickel part if they don't sign someone still. 

Ron’s just trying to make Collins’ agent think we aren’t desperate to bring him back on reduced terms.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Ron’s just trying to make Collins’ agent think we aren’t desperate to bring him back on reduced terms.

Could be. :ols:  Because Butler screams the FS/CB version of the hybrid, not the Buffalo.  But I admit saying Buffalo does sound cooler and more mysterious -- a cool fancy word for big nickel.

• Haha 3

I sincerely hope that Ron is intentionally misleading us with all this Butler as Buffalo Nickel bedroom gossip.

If not we could have another Jamin Davis type, "playing out of position", fiasco on our hands.

Jamin's not a play calling, hard charging, field general mlb type and Butler's not built to be our buffalo nickel either.

To watch Simms praise Butler, the kid comes off looking like a pure old school sideline to sideline, last line of defense, true coverage free safety than the close to the line thumper you expect a buffalo nickle to provide.

In fact, Simms compares Butler unfavorably to Seattle's former hard tackling big bruiser, Kam Chancellor, saying Butler's not the guy you want close to the line of scrimmage taking on blockers like Kam. He essentially  concedes that if he was used that way he would likely fail.

He's the best in the draft, according to Simms, if he's sitting back where he can see the qb, the receivers and the play as it develops in front of him.

Then he's free to use his 4.36 speed, instincts and intellect to decipher the play and ultimately disrupt it.

We haven't truly had that kind of consistent safety play in far too many years.

My guess is that  Kamren Curl will likely be our starting buffala nickel-- barring the triumphant return of Landon Collins.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thumb up 2

I think Percy and Kam alternating at Buffalo makes it easier to disguise who's covering what than with Landon. 

I like the idea of having 3 versatile safeties. McCain could drop down to slot with Butler dropping to play FS. Or vice versa, with Butler covering the slot. Or Butler drops back to SS with Kam coming up in the box. Or Percy lines up as buffalo but then blitzes off the edge. It could cause problems for offenses.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I think Percy and Kam alternating at Buffalo makes it easier to disguise who's covering what than with Landon. 

I like the idea of having 3 versatile safeties. McCain could drop down to slot with Butler dropping to play FS. Or vice versa, with Butler covering the slot. Or Butler drops back to SS with Kam coming up in the box. Or Percy lines up as buffalo but then blitzes off the edge. It could cause problems for offenses.

What I like about Butler as opposed to Hall when he first signed here (I know different positions) is that Butler is willing to be physical. I think that allows him to play some BN. He may not be best there but it allows us to play 3S and not be limited by a slow team. Then he can follow the slot or blitz or play deep middle. Hopefully he compliments Kam and McCain well so that he can do some of what both of them are doing. 

What I wonder about more is his ability to catch. Its not the number 1 thing but WJ3 dropped a lot of ints last year. Collins made a lot and then McCain made two in week 18 that helped us beat the Giants. Ints are harder to get than sacks and more impactful so I want a S that can use that recovery speed to not just deliver hits but get ints and hopefully some pic 6s. 

We've got three two gapping IDLs, that tells me we're going to play with a light box.  Especially combined with the fact that McCain and Butler are deep defenders.  I think we're going to play three high mostly and Curl will be the main roll down defender.

I think we want to play zone than man, and we're going to use three high alignments as a foundation look in a base 4-2-5.  It suits our personnel the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think Ron is making a mistake in talking this kid up so much with our fan base. 

A lot of people have that "Coach said it, it's true, he's going to be awesome!" mentality and that's dangerous for a prospect.

The kid struggles out of the gate at all and the piranha are out. 

Yep.  Given the context and Rivera’s past communication (in general, not about Butler specifically), it seemed to me that Ron was trying to make the point that 1) they have Butler penciled in as one of the 3 safeties that will see the field (together), 2) they played 3 safety sets over 50% of the time, and so Ron was cautioning that Butler might not the see heavy ST usage one might assume as he’d be considered a “starter”.

I could be wrong of course,  I just think he was trying to put the brakes on the “gunner” talk and wound up leaving off his usual caveats with rookies.  I do believe Rivera is very optimistic about Butler though - not trying to take away from that.  

In my day I’ve hired and trained well over a thousand young men and women (no double fisting jokes please). 🤪

You can never tell who’s going to make it but one essential quality for success on every level of endeavor can be summed up in one word— enthusiasm.

Without it you may get by but you’ll never be an elite performer.

This kid has the kind of enthusiasm I’d want to work with…

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be. :ols:  Because Butler screams the FS/CB version of the hybrid, not the Buffalo.  But I admit saying Buffalo does sound cooler and more mysterious -- a cool fancy word for big nickel.

Buffalo nickel is the new ES buzzword, right up there with paloffs and vet min with incentives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

In my day I’ve hired and trained well over a thousand young men and women (no double fisting jokes please). 🤪

You can never tell who’s going to make it but one essential quality for success on every level of endeavor can be summed up in one word— enthusiasm.

Without it you may get by but you’ll never be an elite performer.

This kid has the kind of enthusiasm I’d want to work with…

My man is ready! Love it

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I mean I'm cool if it wants to stay the whole time. All the rookies should move in.

A little rookie hazing?   I wonder if they told him to meet everyone on the 9th hole at 9:00 and to make sure to dress nice.

• Haha 1