Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

Free speech absolutist:

most of the people angry about this were cheerleading when the definitions of hate speech were written in their favor.

This is the problem with limited free speech, who writes the rules almost always writes them in their own favor.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

This is the problem with limited free speech, who writes the rules almost always writes them in their own favor.

I thought way Constitution was written was people have the right to say what they want as a default, like an allow-all firewall rule, and we agree to close some ports.  Lying in court isn't protected speech, it's called purgery for a reason.

Platforms making rules on what's allowed via free speech is an illusion, it's too dominated by what makes them the most or cost them the least amount of money.

That's huge reason why allowing these social media platforms to skate for so much of the content they host is backfiring so badly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I thought way Constitution was written was people have the right to say what they want as a default, like an allow-all firewall rule, and we agree to close some ports.  Lying in court isn't protected speech, it's called purgery for a reason.

Platforms making rules on what's allowed via free speech is an illusion, it's too dominated by what makes them the most or cost them the least amount of money.

That's huge reason why allowing these social media platforms to skate for so much of the content they host is backfiring so badly.

In this case its dominated by what furthers their evil goals to influence society.  Money be damned.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

In this case its dominated by what furthers their evil goals to influence society.  Money be damned.

Hard to tell, on one hand he seems prepared to risk it all how far he's taking this right to say whatever on his platform is...but he knows he ain't can't get far if companies as large as Apple and Disney refuse to do business with him.

We have the right to consequences for what we say as well...pretty much every company involved for this story is "taking a stand" by running to the hills as far away from the speech said freely here as they could.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hard to tell, on one hand he seems prepared go risk it all how far he's taking this right to say whatever kn his platform is...but he knows he ain't get far if companies as large as Apple and Disney refuse to do business with him.

We have the right to consequences for what we say as well...pretty much every company involved for this story is "taking a stand" by running the hills as far away from the speech said freely here as they could.

Since day one, Elon has shown he doesn't give a rats behind of Xitter makes money.  You have to ask yourself, what other possible reason would he have?  Ham fisted social engineering is all I can think of.  It's hugely self-indulgent, but he's the sort of ego who would.

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hard to tell, on one hand he seems prepared to risk it all how far he's taking this right to say whatever on his platform is...but he knows he ain't can't get far if companies as large as Apple and Disney refuse to do business with him.

We have the right to consequences for what we say as well...pretty much every company involved for this story is "taking a stand" by running to the hills as far away from the speech said freely here as they could.

The only pain he will fill is being stripped of his role as leader of Tesla/spaceX. The problem is he owns a lot of stake in those companies which makes removing him extremely difficult/risky. 

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The only pain he will fill is being stripped of his role as leader of Tesla/spaceX. The problem is he owns a lot of stake in those companies which makes removing him extremely difficult/risky. 

It's rough the amount of impact he will have in their brand even if they do that...they did it to Steve Jobs...it can happen...

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

the problem is that the public square has moved. People don’t meet in taverns to petition their governments anymore. They meet online. And those spaces are all privately owned. Free speech doesn’t mean anything if everyone is trying to find an end around to effectively control it. People have to be able to argue passionately for their ideas in a democracy, and having some dip**** decide that one side can’t argue because their side is racist, is anti-democratic. 

Offensive as a standard isn’t going to work. There are issues that must be confronted in a democracy that are going to hurt feelings. That’s unavoidable. I can list several off the top of my head. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Offensive as a standard isn’t going to work. There are issues that just be confronted in a democracy that are going to hurt feelings. That’s unavoidable. I can list several off the top of my head. 

Once upon a time there was a case about a lady calling for violent overthrow of the government that made to supreme court under free speech.

She lost, but one of the judges said sometimes for difficult topics the appropriate thing to do isn't less speech but more speech.  Making a conversation illegal doesn't stop it from happening.

Good lord...nothing Elon Musk does, says, or claims to be his goal has anything whatsoever to do with free speech. I'm not saying that as a Musk cynic, I say that as someone who understands what the definition of "freedom of speech" is lol...

"All places must allow all speech for there to be free speech" is such a bull**** take, anyway. Twitter could ban all posts except ones that talk about ferrets and it still would have zero to do with free speech.

Actually I might like Twitter more if it was only about ferrets lol...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Since day one, Elon has shown he doesn't give a rats behind of Xitter makes money.  You have to ask yourself, what other possible reason would he have?  Ham fisted social engineering is all I can think of.  It's hugely self-indulgent, but he's the sort of ego who would.

he didn’t want twitter. He wanted to screw around on the internet boasting that he could buy twitter and run it better by sheer virtue of having hundreds of billions of dollars 

and then he signed a contract that removed due diligence and enforced a billion dollar fine on him for backing out. So he either had to eat **** in an embarrassing way and pay a billion dollars to do it, or complete the deal and spend more billions but at least own something for it; and more important (in his mind) give him a chance at saving his reputation on his idiocy 

he’s not some masterfully evil person trying to get his hands on something to social engineer society 

He’s the dog that caught the car. 

he has no idea what he’s doing. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

he didn’t want twitter. He wanted to screw around on the internet boasting that he could buy twitter and run it better by sheer virtue of having hundreds of billions of dollars 

and then he signed a contract that removed due diligence and enforced a billion dollar fine on him for backing out. So he either had to eat **** in an embarrassing way and pay a billion dollars to do it, or complete the deal and spend more billions but at least own something for it; and more important (in his mind) give him a chance at saving his reputation on his idiocy 

he’s not some masterfully evil person trying to get his hands on something to social engineer society 

The dog that caught the car is a good analogy here. 

I wonder if he thought that Twitter was too big to fail. That no matter what he’d do as owner, the platform was simply too ubiquitous and widely used that it could never be ruined.  I do believe he wanted to purchase Twitter which is a lane he shouldn’t have driven into, but someone with an ego like that thinks they can do anything well. 

Being completely selfish here, I hope he does for several reasons.  First of all, I’ve never liked Twitter on a few levels. But second, and more importantly for the future of ES, if Twitter were to somehow vanish (impossible, I know) it might go a long way in keeping this place around.  

Twitter traffic and other forms of social media while ES’s traffic has declined are cited as reasons to pull the plug here.  So it’s my hope that if Elon really does tank Twitter, we’ll have a better case for keeping ES going due to overall traffic on Twitter declining. 

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, tshile said:

Dog catching the car is a perfect analogy for how he acquired xitter.  Also not anything I was talking about.  

He did catch it and instead of going for a nice ride and hanging his head out the window he's pissed on the tires and chewed up the upholstery.   Because some dogs are bad and like doing that ****.

Once he had what he didn't really want, he's doing the only thing with it that makes him feel remotely good about it.  Furthering a hateful antisemitic cause...and just generally being "disruptive".

• Thumb up 1

From day one, lot of people pointed out how nonsensical it was to talk about right to free speech within the context of a privately owned platform because there is no such thing.  It's almost as if half of America skipped civics in middle school.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Twitter traffic and other forms of social media while ES’s traffic has declined are cited as reasons to pull the plug here.  So it’s my hope that if Elon really does tank Twitter, we’ll have a better case for keeping ES going due to overall traffic on Twitter declining. 

I think Twitter is a symptom, more than the cause.  Attention span is going down to bite-sized.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

From day one, lot of people pointed out how nonsensical it was to talk about right to free speech within the context of a privately owned platform because there is no such thing.  It's almost as if half of America skipped civics in middle  majority of grade school.

fixed that for you 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I never suggested free speech had anything to do with it.  He's free to do whatever he wants with his toys. It's just good to recognize what he's doing.

Why keep adding ideas to my simple conclusion that now that he owns xitter, regardless of how he acquired it, he's going to use to further an evil set of ideas and to throw as much chaos into any discussion of importance as he can? That newish techie definition of disruptive. 

Does anyone really doubt that?  You honestly think he's just bumbling about?  Whatever else he is, he's too sharp to be doing that.  He can afford to sacrifice xitter on alter of Nazism if it comes to that.  My guess is he figures once TFG gets back in power he'll be the modern version of an all powerful minister of communication.  

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yes. It seems pretty obvious that’s what he’s doing. 

You miss the forest for the trees.  

He doesn't bumble about in his other ventures.  He also doesn't micromanage the way he allows himself to do on xitter.  Clearly he's trying to make what his egotistical twisted mind thinks is the best of it.  

Which is worlds richest man most likely to be:  a bumbling idiot or a self indulgent egotistical jerk?

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

You miss the forest for the trees.  

He doesn't bumble about in his other ventures.  He also doesn't micromanage the way he allows himself to do on xitter.  Clearly he's trying to make what his egotistical twisted mind thinks is the best of it.  

Which is worlds richest man most likely to be:  a bumbling idiot or a self indulgent egotistical jerk?

yeah we have very different opinions on him and rich people in general

i dont subscribe to the idea $ = intelligence, but have fun with that one 

On a different note another one of musks rockets blew up when it wasn’t supposed to

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

yeah we have very different opinions on him and rich people in general

i dont subscribe to the idea $ = intelligence, but have fun with that one 

On a different note another one of musks rockets blew up when it wasn’t supposed to

Not necessarily extraordinary intelligence, but some.  And more importantly the ability to make money.  The proofs kinda in the pudding.

• Thumb up 1