Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

he was the second worst owner only behind Snyder. in DC the name is reviled even among dc oriole fans. 

I mean, James Dolan, Robert Server, Dean Spanos, Jerry Richardson, Donald Sterling, The DeVos family, Jeff Loria, Jimmy Haslam…  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I mean, James Dolan, Robert Server, Dean Spanos, Jerry Richardson, Donald Sterling, The DeVos family, Jeff Loria, Jimmy Haslam…  

those weren't dc area owners 

even if you count them Angelos and Snyder were the worst by far in recent memory 

the good thing is that Angelos took a lesser role late but his heavy handed meddling and interference would have made Daniel proud. 

7 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

thankful Orioles fans can enjoy competent ownership that does not fire their announcers for not being black and gold enough, or suspend announcers for listing off statistics 

Jim Zorn approves this post.

• Haha 1

The best thing I can say about the Angelos era: When the Senators left for Texas (**** you Bob Short) I started rooting for the Yankees. I was there for this awesome moment watching the Pirates catcher shaking his head as Tekulve mimics him. DeCinces had no ****ing clue what pitch was coming and watched strike 3 go by. 

On 3/23/2024 at 9:55 PM, ixcuincle said:

those weren't dc area owners 

even if you count them Angelos and Snyder were the worst by far in recent memory 

the good thing is that Angelos took a lesser role late but his heavy handed meddling and interference would have made Daniel proud. 

Leonsis is far worse than Angelos.  His recent actions regarding his greed and new stadium shows that.  Angelos was never leaving Camden yards.  Now, Angelos wasn't a great owner obviously, but I'd take him 1000X over Leonsis (by far and away the worst owner in the NBA).

Leonsis just basically stole 70 million for the Wizards practice facility that was inadequate the day it was built.  He's trying to leave after 5 years there.  There are numerous accounts that I have posted on how much of a scumbag Leonsis is.  

On 3/25/2024 at 1:14 PM, mhd24 said:

Leonsis is far worse than Angelos.  His recent actions regarding his greed and new stadium shows that.  Angelos was never leaving Camden yards.  Now, Angelos wasn't a great owner obviously, but I'd take him 1000X over Leonsis (by far and away the worst owner in the NBA).

Leonsis just basically stole 70 million for the Wizards practice facility that was inadequate the day it was built.  He's trying to leave after 5 years there.  There are numerous accounts that I have posted on how much of a scumbag Leonsis is.  

Owners can be an ahats, but if their teams win locals tend to forgive quite a bit.   JKC was no saint either.

I can understand why Wiz fans would dislike Leonsis, but the Caps at least have raised the championship banner (first to do for a DC area team in 27 years), as well as convincing a generational talent who will almost certainly break one of the marquee NHL records to stay on the team for his entire career (up to this point), which was not guaranteed.  You can argue, and I would agree, they probably should have been more successful during #8's prime but they did check off that pretty important box. 

In terms of winning, Angelos was actually not quite as bad as I think alot of Os fans make him out to be.  That 14-year losing streak was pretty horrenduous to witness, but part of the problem they were stuck in the hardest division in baseball, probably in all of sports, as a mid-market team in a league without a salary cap.  And they weren't too shabby in the 90s.  Its just that for O's fans, given their history the expectations were probably higher than for alot of other franchises.  I think they've righted the ship fairly well over the last decade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Owners can be an ahats, but if their teams win locals tend to forgive quite a bit.   JKC was no saint either.

I can understand why Wiz fans would dislike Leonsis, but the Caps at least have raised the championship banner (first to do for a DC area team in 27 years), as well as convincing a generational talent who will almost certainly break one of the marquee NHL records to stay on the team for his entire career (up to this point), which was not guaranteed.  You can argue, and I would agree, they probably should have been more successful during #8's prime but they did check off that pretty important box. 

In terms of winning, Angelos was actually not quite as bad as I think alot of Os fans make him out to be.  That 14-year losing streak was pretty horrenduous to witness, but part of the problem they were stuck in the hardest division in baseball, probably in all of sports, as a mid-market team in a league without a salary cap.  And they weren't too shabby in the 90s.  Its just that for O's fans, given their history the expectations were probably higher than for alot of other franchises.  I think they've righted the ship fairly well over the last decade.

And yet Leonsis was too cheap to retain the coach who led the caps to that title.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

And yet Leonsis was too cheap to retain the coach who led the caps to that title.  

Not sure if I can fault Leonsis for that one.  The Caps had suffered so many early playoff exits, and Trotz could not get past the second round in three years of coaching.  So they waiting on extending him in his final contract year they ended up winning the Cup and then Trotz was a free agent.  They did make a good offer but Trotz just saw greener pastures.  The Caps were between rock and hard place going into his final year.  If you extend him early, then suffer another early exit, you look like idiots for extending a mediocre coach.  

Ice hockey coaches (at the NHL level) are somewhat overrated in any case.  Its mostly about the players and how they gel.  And having a hot goalie.

If anything, Leonsis was often too easy on people in his organization.  At least early in his tenure. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyone else going to opening day?

I should have made it happen today, but unfortunately not. I'll have to settle for the couch.

Have fun though! Looks like it should stay clear! 

• Like 1