Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

If Trey had slashed a Crawford box dinger to walk it off,  just would have had to tip a cap and try again. But Tate got it done. Whew. 

Got some help on the Esskay out of town scoreboard as well. 

Man that brings back memories - I hadn't been paying attention to what happened to them, apparently they were bought out by Smithfield all the way back in the mid 80s, and then production in Baltimore was shuttered in 1993, along with the plant.  Then the final nail in the coffin in 2019 came when Smithfield discontinued the brand altogether (at least as far as hot dogs, but there are some other products under the Esskay name)

https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-esskay-hot-dogs-20190122-story.html

I just remember those were some pretty tasty weiners.  Part of the reason being they were kosher ( I think)

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

If Trey had slashed a Crawford box dinger to walk it off,  just would have had to tip a cap and try again. But Tate got it done. Whew. 

Got some help on the Esskay out of town scoreboard as well. 

Boy, I heard that post in a John Miller voice through crackling AM radio...

"Taste the difference....quality makes....Esskay!"

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Kremer pitches a gem against the best team in the AL, one night after Bradish does the same. Love this team.

Kremer was in the Machado trade. 

Bradish in the Bundy trade. 

Just two dudes helping the big club years down the road from the beginning of the rebuild. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Its awesome we took the first two, because we've got Verlander tomorrow and thats almost an automatic L, though the way this team is pitching and getting just enough offense, who knows.

Dude’s probably winning the CY Young at 39 after winning it in 2019 at 36 and making 1 start in 2 years. Crazy. 

Maybe he’ll have a bad day! 

23 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Kremer was in the Machado trade. 

Bradish in the Bundy trade. 

Just two dudes helping the big club years down the road from the beginning of the rebuild. 

Thanks for the reminder of the Kremer-Machado link. I'm still upset at how O's management mismanaged the Manny trade, but Dean's performance tonight makes me feel a little better.

9 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Thanks for the reminder of the Kremer-Machado link. I'm still upset at how O's management mismanaged the Manny trade, but Dean's performance tonight makes me feel a little better.

How did they mismanage the trade?

Yusniel Diaz was pretty highly regarded at the time, most thought he was on track to at least be a regular MLB starter, but sometimes prospects crater for no good reason.  If Kremer can be a regular starter, I'd say it wasn't such a bad trade.  Not every trade can be the Erik Bedard for Adam Jones and Chris Tillman trade

Edited by DCSaints_fan

12 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

I'm still upset at how O's management mismanaged the Manny trade…

It was the biggest mistake of the era was strapping it up in 2018 and thinking they had pieces to win. They could have sold even before that and gotten so much more. But the organizational pieces were Duq, Buck, and pre-health decline Angelos… And thinking… or wanting to believe, the window wasn’t closed was the prevailing thought.  Hell, I was optimistic in 2017 too. 

7 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Not every trade can be the Erik Bedard for Adam Jones and Chris Tillman trade

The main criticism is that it was 1.5 years too late. They should have locked him up or traded him before it became a rental sell off. 

But man, Andy Mac was the finesse GOD back in the day. He got that M’s GM fired on that deal. And it’s probably why they still haven’t made the playoffs. 

53 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Yusniel Diaz was pretty highly regarded at the time, most thought he was on track to at least be a regular MLB starter, but sometimes prospects crater for no good reason.  If Kremer can be a regular starter, I'd say it wasn't such a bad trade.  Not every trade can be the Erik Bedard for Adam Jones and Chris Tillman trade

Agree with what you're saying - my gripe is with the timing of it, as Doyler did a great job explaining. A small market team absolutely has to maximize the return for their top talent if they're not going to be able to keep them, and that never happens waiting until the 11th hour.

I guess, but there was still some hope even in the 2017 offseason we were going to bounce back and make another run.  Remember we made the WC in 2016  We had the core of Manny, Schoop, and Adam Jones,   Trey Mancini started to emerge as an everyday player.  Davis had a off year but no one thought he completely forgot how to play baseball at that point.  The pitching situation was a bit unclear true, especially the starters, but in the offseason we had signed Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner to try to shore up the rotation.  Along with the hope that Gaussman and Bundy were going to emerge as legit starters and Tillman coming back from injury.  Our bullpen should have been pretty solid with Britton coming back from injury, Brad Brach, Darren O'Day and Richard Bleier had a pretty good year in 2017.

This could have all just been wishful thinking by Peter Angelos to try to get a championship while he was still alive and anyone could have seen what was coming and the O's should have torn it all down and started the rebuild sooner.   I guess the Nataionls did exactly that, as far back as in the 2018 offseason when they let Harper walk, and then Rendon the following year.   You could say them winning the World Series in 2019 was almost a total accident, it was always the plan to trade away and start another rebuild - their farm system was one of the lowest ranked in the majors because they had been trading away young talent for established vets in an attempt to win a title, but had been repeatedly snakebitten for seven years and knew their window was closing and the best bet was to restoke the farm.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Get runners on second and third on Verlander with no outs, then strikeout, strikeout, strikeout.

Then two first and and second with no outs again, Rutschman looks at three consecutive breaking balls for strikes, then Santander flies out, Mullins breaks for second not realizing Chirinos did not try for third, and boneheaded baserunning play winds up in a double play.  

No runs scored despite two great opportunities.  So frustrating

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Gunnar Henderson is up.  I think this is the first time ever that two #1 ranked prospects have been from the same draft and have been called up in the same season.  I don't think any franchise has ever had two #1 ranked prospects from one draft in the first place.

@DCSaints_fan, get your **** together, time to change the thread title.  Playoff hunt, mother****ers! 

• Like 1