Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

I just caught up with some of the news reports on this.

On the QB thread I posted multiple times over weeks on the COVID angle being a big part of what the Colts brass was hot about as to Wentz.   

But watching a full segment on it, I get why it cut so deep with them.  It was that he's the QB-leader and others followed him on this move. 

And that narrative bled into their poor finish.

Not that I think all of that is good.  But my point is the context of all of that led to a perfect storm for them being pissed at Carson.  

The thing is if Carson worked out perfectly with the Colts, obviously they would not have traded him. It's the only reason why we got a shot of getting him.  Hopefully, this specific circumstance was the key reason -- not other things because knock on wood I don't expect COVID to be a looming issue over the next NFL season like it was last year.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/1/11/22878442/could-late-season-covid-outbreak-be-responsible-for-colts-disappointing-finish

Could late-season COVID outbreak be responsible for Colts’ disappointing finish?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

You people are nuts with all this negativity. Wentz is a legitimate starting QB and we almost made the playoffs with Taylor ****ing Heinicke.

We are going to win at least 10 games this season and make the playoffs. Terry will have the best QB of his career. Young is returning to a defense that started gelling last year. Collins will re-work his contract and free up cap space. We can use pick #11 on BPA. Maybe we can fit Bobby Wagner.

We were in QB Hell and had to escape. We did that without giving up any 1st rounders, or settling for a fringe starter like Trubisky.

This is a good move.

exactly and totally agree… Wentz can make all the throws that need to be made and some… my only issue w/Wentz has been his being prone to injuries….and the $ factor, other then that I don’t know anything about him as a person… (accept he loves to hunt and being outspoken about his Faith) so all this he’s not liked in the locker room stuff (who knows that for sure) I think he’s a fine QB… and let’s be real if you’ve been a fan of this team for as long as some of us have been… you know he’s already the 3rd best QB this franchise has had in the last 20+ years… Brad Johnson, Cousins and Wentz… imho 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On the QB thread I posted multiple times over weeks on the COVID angle being a big part of what the Colts brass was hot about as to Wentz.   

But watching a full segment on it, I get why it cut so deep with them.  It was that he's the QB-leader and others followed him on this move. 

And that narrative bled into their poor finish.

Not that I think all of that is good.  But my point is the context of all of that led to a perfect storm for them being pissed at Carson. 

I watched something a while back which said he missed practice re COVID, they lost then it escalated from there etc etc. That seemed to be the catalyst. I still think Reich wanted him as QB.

• Like 1

On a side note with the Colts & Wentz broken relationship….I do have to say this about the entire situation your hearing now from Indy… if it’s true that Wentz wanted a face 2 face w/Irsay… and was declined as rumored then that’s bad ownership there imho… your the owner at least give the respect due to anyone (yet alone an employee) to meet w/them and tell them the truth… also if true that Reich Apologized to Irsay and the brass then that’s crap too imho…. Who cares you vouched for Wentz… it isn’t like he was horrible and was by far the worse QB in the NFL… sounds to me Frank Reich is a yes man.. and to a degree trying to save face along w/his job…. Stand by your decisions… right wrong or in different…

6 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:
Edited by ashlynskins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SprintBomb said:

I hate this trade. I don't care about the picks we gave up but taking his entire contract is ridiculous. We went from having $33 million in cap space down to $6. Also, Ron does nothing but preach about leadership being so important in a QB but he trades for Wentz. I don't get it 

How much do you guys expect to spend on a QB that can actually throw the football?

Let's just play fantasy world, where we were able to acquire Aaron Rodgers in trade.  Not only would we be out at minimum 3 1st round picks+, we'd have to carve out in the neighborhood of $50MM/yr salary cap space for him.  If we were able to land a QB like Carr, we'd be looking at a minimum of $35MM/yr.  

Legitimate QB's are expensive and you're kidding yourself if you really think nobody else was willing to trade for both Wentz and his contract.  If Wentz plays as he has most of his career, he'll easily be worth his contract.  If he stinks, we'll cut him and lick our wounds.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

If the dude can’t get a team with a generational talent at RB into the playoffs, I am doubtful that he’s to be able to do it here

His Oline although talented, was trash at pass blocking and those rats are jumping off that sinking ship, too. 

Wentz and Taylor were the only real talent on that offense. 

Their TE retired too. Something stinks on that team, besides the owner. It's trickling down.

• Like 1

Its possible that Riverboat Ron thinks he can "fix" what's wrong with Carson Wentz.  I think its a real long shot.  Sports writers in Philly have called Wentz a complete

narcissist and not a team leader.  I can see the situation where half the players support Heinke and the other half starting the season might support the new guy

coming in.  For a guy who keeps claiming he is a culture guy I wonder how much the General Manager and his assistants discussed with Ron that this guy has not been a

team player.  Also he has thrown 3 passes in post season games and this is his sixth year in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I mentioned last night that our fanbase being down on this move, only make me like it more.  

That's usually a good rule of thumb with this fanbase (at least the vocal ones on social media).  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I still think Reich wanted him as QB.

“Frank Reich lobbied hard for the franchise to land Wentz. According to a new report, he realized his mistake and actually apologized to Colts owner Jim Irsay.”

Reich, who originally pushed for the trade to acquire Wentz last winter, apologized to Irsay after the season, according to a source. The coach believed he could resurrect Wentz’s stalled career and solve the Colts’ quarterback conundrum.

“I stuck my neck out for him last year,” Reich admitted earlier this month.”

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Steelers were mentioned a bunch in reports about Wentz 

I didn't mention them because I didn't want to deal with the "nO wAy dA StEElerZ r 2 sMaRt f0r tHat" comments it would prompt.  When really its the other way, they are too smart to not be in on acquiring a guy like Wentz to replace Ben. Wentz would have been a great fit in Pittsburgh.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Its possible that Riverboat Ron thinks he can "fix" what's wrong with Carson Wentz.  I think its a real long shot.  Sports writers in Philly have called Wentz a complete

narcissist and not a team leader.  I can see the situation where half the players support Heinke and the other half starting the season might support the new guy

coming in.  For a guy who keeps claiming he is a culture guy I wonder how much the General Manager and his assistants discussed with Ron that this guy has not been a

team player.  Also he has thrown 3 passes in post season games and this is his sixth year in the NFL.

So maybe some humble pie will fix that attitude some. If your career is one the line, you make changes

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Steelers were mentioned a bunch in reports about Wentz 

Dianna Rousinni (sp?) according to EB on The Junkies, is reporting multiple teams were competing for Wentz

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah.... Impossible for me to understand fans that were saying Wentz was going to be cut or that we should have just stuck with a 4th and a 6th. In what world is a guy who was once in the MVP conversation and just put up 27 TDs and 7 picks not going to draw interest from teams around the league. With guys like Mitch the next best option? Its delusional, or maybe just seen as stupid because we made the move. Outside of his rookie season and his last season for Philly he has been WAY better then anything we have had since Kirk or before Kirk. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Washington Times article today states that Wentz averages one turnover per game.  With 85 starts he threw 57 interceptions and lost 28 out of 66 fumbles.

Guess who has 121 turnovers in 127 starts?

Raiders QB Derek Carr Appeared To Cry After Taking Hard Sack At End Of  Seahawks Game - BroBible

46 in 53?

Screen-Shot-2020-12-06-at-4.35.12-PM.png

47 in 47?

jimmy-garoppolo-injury-updatejpg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

His Oline although talented, was trash at pass blocking and those rats are jumping off that sinking ship, too. 

Wentz and Taylor were the only real talent on that offense. 

Their TE retired too. Something stinks on that team, besides the owner. It's trickling down.

I like their wide receiver Pittman.  A lot.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Dianna Rousinni (sp?) according to EB on The Junkies, is reporting multiple teams were competing for Wentz

Yep the price kind of makes it obvious there were other teams in. They will now be on the Jimmy G trail.

• Like 1