Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

This fanbase is insane.  We just got a top half of the league starter for basically peanuts on a prove it deal and they'd rather stick with the guy who luckily made it on a roster because a 38 year old man hurt his hip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/sports/nfl/football

The Athletic's Zak Keefer reports the Colts' issues with ex-QB Carson Wentz "stretched back to before the season began."

Keefer paints a picture of a quarterback who was basically never liked or respected from the second he showed up in Indianapolis. "Over the course of the year, some grew frustrated at what they deemed a lack of leadership, a resistance to hard coaching and a reckless style of play, which had a role in several close losses this year." Other than that Mrs. Lincoln? But there's more. "The quarterback, who learned he was on shaky ground with the organization over the last month, reached out to owner Jim Irsay in hopes of setting up a meeting to 'clear the air,' a source said. But Irsay declined the meeting." Yikes. These are the exact kind of things that were said about Wentz his final days in Philadelphia. He frankly sounds unpleasant to work with. It is impossible to see how this will work in the league's most dysfunctional organization in Washington. Best of luck, "Commanders" fans. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

Again with stats.  Alex, who is definitely very mediocre, is light years ahead of Wentz in the “winning football games” category.  You know, the one that matters.

And I wouldn’t go bragging about not extending him just yet.  Ron might go full YOLO any second.

Alex Smith was 32-34 in his first 6 seasons as a starter.  Wentz is 44-40-1.  

9 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

About five years ago I lived in a duplex, I used to get blotto with the guy living above me sometimes. We were complete opposites, he was an older, white, right winger and an Eagles fan. The only thing we had in common was our very serious drinking problem. However, I will never forget what he told me before Carson Wentz even won the Super Bowl. He looked me in the eye and said with pure conviction "Carson Wentz is the best QB in the NFL". I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. I'm watching a bunch of vids on YouTube trying to hype myself up...I'm going to need a lot more videos.

Nick Foles won the Super Bowl. I think Wentz harbors a lot of resentment over that. 

• Like 2

Washington went looking for a QB at possibly the worst time to do it, and came away with a starting caliber QB.  Things could be worse. Wilson wasn’t an option.  Rodgers also, not an option.  This draft is very weak at QB.  All things considered, given what they set out to do, I don’t think this is a bad result.  I’m actually surprised they found a starting QB at all, and thrilled they managed to do it without trading a first round pick.  

I’m not a huge Wentz fan, but this was probably the best result available.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My faith in Ron's regime has been hanging by a thread for a while.  This cuts it.  Clean break.

Ron's done.  He panicked, knowing QBs don't want to play here.  Period.  He felt he had to trade for one.  He has routinely overestimated this roster because he's a self-professed "optimist".    Wentz was going to be released.  This was Mark Brunell 2.0

You're not winning anything of measure with Wentz.  The dude couldn't get it done with a loaded roster and the best coach he could be paired with.  What on earth can he do here except make it even harder for us to find the answer at QB?  

This organization is desperate all the way around.  Desperate to clean up it's image (which is impossible under Snyder), bring fans back, start threatening for a SB (which ain't happening with Wentz), save an increasingly dire future outlook for an outdated coaching regime.   

I'm done with Ron.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

This fanbase is insane.  We just got a top half of the league starter for basically peanuts on a prove it deal and they'd rather stick with the guy who luckily made it on a roster because a 38 year old man hurt his hip.

First of all, that tweet was before the trade.  Look at the time stamp.

Top half??  HAHAHAHA

He costs $28M!!  I get that he can get cut for zero next season but that is not prove it money, it’s say bye bye to getting free agents money.

Its by no means a pro Heinicke position to **** on Wentz.  

the rest of your post was spot on tho.

Just now, CobraCommander said:

Nick Foles won the Super Bowl. I think Wentz harbors a lot of resentment over that. 

They don't go to the Super Bowl without Wentz.  He was injured during the game they clinched the division after leading them to an 11-2 record.

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Top half??  HAHAHAHA

#9 in QBR last year.  HAHAHAHAHA

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Alex Smith was 32-34 in his first 6 seasons as a starter.  Wentz is 44-40-1.  

If only there were more data available on which to evaluate Smith’s career.

If only they weren’t *completely opposite* players to begin with.

If only there careers weren’t on two *completely different* trajectories at the six year mark.

Great comparison otherwise tho.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Washington went looking for a QB at possibly the worst time to do it, and came away with a starting caliber QB.  Things could be worse. Wilson wasn’t an option.  Rodgers also, not an option.  This draft is very weak at QB.  All things considered, given what they set out to do, I don’t think this is a bad result.  I’m actually surprised they found a starting QB at all, and thrilled they managed to do it without trading a first round pick.  

I’m not a huge Wentz fan, but this was probably the best result available.

My problem with Wentz is his locker room rep. Maybe Ron can handle that. The other option I would have accepted would be Winston. But he is coming off an ACL so who knows what you would get out of him this season. I hate having to give up draft capitol for Wentz. But I do agree with you that they got a starter out of the deal. 

• Like 3

They don't go to the Super Bowl without Wentz.  He was injured during the game they clinched the division after leading them to an 11-2 record.

Did you…did you see the post I just made ripping that entire BS QBR apart?  I’m not typing it again but it is completely meaningless.

Just now, 86 Snyder said:

If only there careers weren’t on two *completely different* trajectories at the six year mark.

Alex Smith was given up on for a younger, unproven quarterback twice after "winning" all of those regular season games.  Kind of similar with Wentz, if you think about it.

Just now, CjSuAvE22 said:

Lol i dunno why ppl are complaining....we got a 29 year old qb thats starting caliber through 28 tds and 7 picks last year....we still have our first rounder....life could be a lot worse. 

Goddamnit…that’s the point!!!  Be good or be bad.  Stop scrambling to win seven games every season because the only thing that leads to when you don’t have a franchise QB is more 7 win seasons.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Did you…did you see the post I just made ripping that entire BS QBR apart?  I’m not typing it again but it is completely meaningless.

Wentz instantly becomes at the very least the second best QB in this division right now...maybe the best.

• Like 2

my 2 cents (no inflation here, bub)

Pros

+It's not Jimmy G 

+He played well for a good part of the season last year in Indy

+for what they THINK they are getting (better starting QB for a few years) we didn't give up much (they are wrong in their eval though IMO)

Cons

-cap hit, yuck

-was abysmal his last year in Philly

-THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART (YES I AM YELLING IT). WHEN DOES A STARTING QB UNDER 30 YEARS OLD GET TRADED WHEN THERE IS NO OPTION BEHIND HIM? LET ALONE TRADED TWICE BEFORE 30?? I TRUST THE IN PERSON, IN LOCKER ROOM JUDGEMENT OF PHILLY AND INDY OVER OUR DECISION MAKERS

added draft notes

I'd bet that we trade down from 11 to recoup some of the picks dealt today. Getting back at least a 3 in return. AND I'd be shocked if they go QB early in this draft. Wentz is 29, TH (the guaranteed backup) is even younger. This cap hit and move screams its go time for Riverboat. Not much space left to fill holes in FA so the early rounds of the draft will be doing that. I am not even saying they are going BAP at those positions in the draft. I think they will go who helps the most the fastest. High floor guys (more Cosmi's, less Jamin's). Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I know how they got to the playoffs because of Carson, But Nick led them to the Superbowl and won it. There's a statue of Nick Foles outside the Linc for crying out loud. Like I said, the resentment is there.

Wentz might have a superbowl ring, but he didn't win it and I guarantee he resents that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Seems like the team is trying real hard to go 7-10 9-8, miss the playoffs and get another mid level first round pick yet again.

We just had a mediocre season with a lesser QB.  We aren't bad enough as is before Wentz to get a top pick, and the only way we would be is if we traded Young and some of our other young studs.  Are you saying we should have punted on qb this offseason and traded off some of our younger talent to stockpile picks and tank the next couple of seasons to find our elite QB?  If not, what is your plan to get the elite QB?  

This isn't directed just at you, but to anyone who feels this has now taken us out of the running for an elite QB, what would be your plan before this trade to get the elite QB? And how does trading for wentz eliminate that possibility?

PS - If jimmy g is part of your solution, I'm gonna throw up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

It’s bizzaro world man! You and I are defending the Washington QB against the haters! 

Carson is a legit QB. I don’t get why people are upset. We are going to be good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Goddamnit…that’s the point!!!  Be good or be bad.  Stop scrambling to win seven games every season because the only thing that leads to when you don’t have a franchise QB is more 7 win seasons.  

We just had a 7 win season with one of the worst starting QBs in the league.  Mediocre is our floor right now before adding Wentz.  As opposed to Wentz has elevated us to mediocre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

You would certainly know. Just **** and moan. Never a solution.

I know you can’t rebutt anything else I wrote so this is the best you can do.  It’s weak but, at least it’s something.

Anyway, the solution was to take one of the top 2 QBs in this draft at 11 OR sign a cheap guy who will probably suck like Bridgewater or Winston…then be in position to have a top pick in 2023 when the QB class is much better.  At least take a stab at finding a franchise guy.

Wentz is ass.