Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

Just now, Wildbunny said:

They are on Russia's side. Which is weird since Russia broke them years ago... They are now praising him.

Yeah, Russia sent them into Syria too, I think.  Speaking of which, I also recall Russia testing out some new weaponry during that conflict.

• Sad 1

Chernobyl radiation at 'excess levels' after Russian troops seize control in Ukraine

Excess levels of radiation have been recorded in Chernobyl after Russian forces took the city, a Ukrainian government organisation has claimed.

The State Inspectorate for Nuclear Regulation of Ukraine (SINR) said the exact reasons for increasing radiation in the seized city were unknown after the Russian invasion claimed Chernobyl yesterday.

But Russian officials have denied the allegations that there has been any increase in levels and said it would deploy paratroopers to guard the Chernobyl nuclear reactor.

Now Norway's nuclear monitoring agency, has weighed in claiming it is concerned by "elevated" levels of radiation but added that they do not pose a "threat to health" in the area at present.

In a statement, it said: "They have raised questions about whether the increased values are due to heavy vehicles that have whirled up radioactive pollution from the Chernobyl incident in 1986."

It continued that winds are currently blowing towards Russia at the moment but that if the wind direction changed it would be possible to measure very low levels in Norway as well.

Pre-invasion reports had already warned that uninhabited Chernobyl exclusion zone could become the first place to be captured by a Russian invasion due to its close proximity to the Russian border and troops positioned in Belarus.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We don’t actually put people

in tanks any more do we? If so, why? Like, they should be piloted remotely at this point.

Again, not an expert. But I have a serious problem with any proposal to put a major element of our military capability in a state of being completely reliant on having reliable, secure, high-bandwidth communications in every battle. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Again, not an expert. But I have a serious problem with any proposal to put a major element of our military capability in a state of being completely reliant on having reliable, secure, high-bandwidth communications in every battle. 

OK, make them autonomous. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, China said:

Excess levels of radiation have been recorded in Chernobyl after Russian forces took the city, a Ukrainian government organisation has claimed.

Just spitballing here. But would driving a whole bunch of vehicles through Chernyobl stir up radioactive dirt?  

• Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just spitballing here. But would driving a whole bunch of vehicles through Chernyobl stir up radioactive dirt?  

In a statement, it said: "They have raised questions about whether the increased values are due to heavy vehicles that have whirled up radioactive pollution from the Chernobyl incident in 1986."

What does freezing Putin’s assets do?

Putin got a big portfolio over there with E Trade or something. 

• Thanks 1

I’m assuming Russian elites had an opportunity to move things around, assuming sanctions and freezing assets would happen. 

i wonder what % they were able to stash away before the sanctions came in. 

7 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Not exactly sure.  Never had my assets frozen…You?

No. Also not running another country as a criminal enterprise. So. I just have no understanding of what this means

can Putin grab a big Mac on the way home but not a new house?

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Isn't Putins wealth predominantly from all the palaces he owns in Russia? Dude owns more properties than Scientology. 

Well. Then. He’s gonna have to find somewhere else to stay until these sanctions are lifted.