Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glenn Youngkin and friends.

Cooked Crack

3 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Sounds more like a Trump appointee having a hissy fit to me.

I mean, what is the recourse? The State of VA going to sue? 

I don't think this is fair.  Christopher Wray isn't the best FBI Director ever, but he's told Trump to go **** himself numerous times and is far from a run-of-the-mill Trump appointee lickspittle. 

A 3-person panel of FBI and GSA employees unanimously approved the Springfield site, and then one GSA exec overrode that approval and selected the MD site.  That's a weird thing to have happen without a clear reason.  It was recently discovered that the GSA exec has a conflict of interest because the land in Greenbelt is owned by WMATA, and the exec had recently worked at WMATA.  She's now DC's deputy mayor, so there may be some personal relationships or palm greasing in play.  

• Thumb up 2

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't think this is fair.  Christopher Wray isn't the best FBI Director ever, but he's told Trump to go **** himself numerous times and is far from a run-of-the-mill Trump appointee lickspittle. 

A 3-person panel of FBI and GSA employees unanimously approved the Springfield site, and then one GSA exec overrode that approval and selected the MD site.  That's a weird thing to have happen without a clear reason.  It was recently discovered that the GSA exec has a conflict of interest because the land in Greenbelt is owned by WMATA, and the exec had recently worked at WMATA.  She's now DC's deputy mayor, so there may be some personal relationships or palm greasing in play.  

Wray shouldn’t get too much credit for not letting Trump overthrow the government, though his organizations ability to protect the Capitol didn’t go well anyway. 

This project is at the very least 6 years off track because of the previous administration’s failures and Trump literally cancelling it out of pettiness. If the Greenbelt site makes more sense because of the size of the land, proximity to metro and availability overall then it’s the GSA’s call to make,  not his.

He can be mad, sure. Insinuating some kind of grift taking place doesn’t make him look good. How does he benefit from this besides maybe selling a book or trying to impress his Federalist Society friends? Who does WMATA a favor in order to take their career to the BIG TIME?

And if it is “playing politics” and I’m sure it is to some extent, then VA dropped the ball and ole vesty gets to hold the L. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Wray shouldn’t get too much credit for not letting Trump overthrow the government, though his organizations ability to protect the Capitol didn’t go well anyway. 

This project is at the very least 6 years off track because of the previous administration’s failures and Trump literally cancelling it out of pettiness. If the Greenbelt site makes more sense because of the size of the land, proximity to metro and availability overall then it’s the GSA’s call to make,  not his.

He can be mad, sure. Insinuating some kind of grift taking place doesn’t make him look good. How does he benefit from this besides maybe selling a book or trying to impress his Federalist Society friends? Who does WMATA a favor in order to take their career to the BIG TIME?

And if it is “playing politics” and I’m sure it is to some extent, then VA dropped the ball and ole vesty gets to hold the L. 

It’s not clear the Greenbelt site makes more sense. A panel of GSA and FBI people unanimously chose the Springfield site, then that was overridden by one person with a potential conflict of interest who isn’t even at GSA anymore. 

I don’t think Wray gets any benefit other than ensuring the future HQ of his agency is chosen according to a fair and sensible process. 

And I’m not really concerned in Youngkin “holds the L” he’s a lame duck now anyways, plus Kaine and Warner are at least equally responsible. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

lady I work with makes around $1,500 a week minimum from them. She records herself and everything. Most she’s ever had to put in is $100

shes a legend 

Call me skeptical

Why not put in $200 so she make $3k a week?  Or $400 so she can make $6k ? Do they cut her off at some point ?

If she had indeed somehow broke the system I don’t see how she’s not a millionaire already and why would she continue to work.

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Call me skeptical

Why not put in $200 so she make $3k a week?  Or $400 so she can make $6k ? Do they cut her off at some point ?

If she had indeed somehow broke the system I don’t see how she’s not a millionaire already and why would she continue to work.

Because it doesn’t work that way. She has 3 particular gas stations in the are that she checks specific machines to see what the jackpot is up to and  depending on where it’s at and some other factors she will decide to play or not. And she will put in $50 to $100 and win a bunch of more plays until she hits it. She knows what she’s doing as I said she records it and I’ve seen the tickets too that she cashes out cuz she sends me pics and she even goes with other people from work and will help them grab a few hundred here and there. Everybody vouches for her. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/11/2023 at 8:51 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Because it doesn’t work that way. She has 3 particular gas stations in the are that she checks specific machines to see what the jackpot is up to and  depending on where it’s at and some other factors she will decide to play or not. And she will put in $50 to $100 and win a bunch of more plays until she hits it. She knows what she’s doing as I said she records it and I’ve seen the tickets too that she cashes out cuz she sends me pics and she even goes with other people from work and will help them grab a few hundred here and there. Everybody vouches for her. 

I’ve never seen games like that.  The ones I’ve seen like Queen have fixed payouts, not ones with some accumulated jackpot.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 4:36 PM, EmirOfShmo said:

Sweater Lurch still doesn't understand what the majority of VA citizens want. Shocked...

Maybe?

“Governor Youngkin’s proposed two year budget includes an end to the hated car tax and a reduction of 12% in state income tax for all earners. The bad news is his budget will increase sales taxes from 4.3% to 5.2%.”

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Maybe?

“Governor Youngkin’s proposed two year budget includes an end to the hated car tax and a reduction of 12% in state income tax for all earners. The bad news is his budget will increase sales taxes from 4.3% to 5.2%.”

This statement could also be written as “a state income tax decrease from 5.75% to 5.06%… will increase sales taxes by 21%.”

Not sure why there is a need to mix the way these two changes are expressed.

But, I don’t think it matters much. People were certain that the state raised the car tax this past year when it was just the assessed values had risen and the rate remained flat.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

**** the car tax and good to offset that and some income tax with some sales tax. 

(I hope it offsets)

I suspect lower car tax collections will have a sizeable impact on state road rehab projects. Especially if that money is earmarked for those type of projects whereas sales tax is not (always). 

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect lower car tax collections will have a sizeable impact on state road rehab projects. Especially if that money is earmarked for those type of projects whereas sales tax is not (always). 

In the past things like this have been designed to be offset. Like what we did with gas. I’m not sure if that’s even been discussed publicly at this point, kind of seems like they’re just getting started. I don’t want the states finances messed up. 

but the car tax is stupid. You’re taxed for wanting and having a nicer car. If you spend the same amount of money on stereos, you pay no additional tax. People who drive cheaper cars don’t drive less often on the roads. It’s a dumb tax, wouldn’t be surprised at all if he gets bipartisan support on that one. 

Edited by tshile

The governor previously announced other policy initiatives he wants to fund through the budget plan, including $448 million annually to bolster child care, $500 million for conservation and flood mitigation efforts, and $500 million for mental health initiatives. He also wants to allot $150 million to modernize the state’s information technology systems to improve cybersecurity.

After Youngkin departed, Virginia Secretary of Finance Stephen Cummings told legislators the governor’s proposal took into account a “mild” recession expected to begin in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2024.

https://www.dailypress.com/2023/12/20/youngkins-budget-plan-would-shakeup-virginias-taxing-structure-ending-car-tax/

🤷‍♂️ like what I’ve heard about it

im confident there will eventually be something I hate about it. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

**** the car tax and good to offset that and some income tax with some sales tax. 

(I hope it offsets)

It’s designed as expected. Eliminate an unpopular tax. Create future shortfalls, force the opposing party to raise taxes.

What was presented above, eliminate car tax, reduce state income tax, increase sales tax. (Hope it offsets).

Now think about your situation. How much did you spend on car taxes this year? I can’t remember exactly what I paid, but I believe it was between $500-$800. We have two cars, the newest is eight years old. So I would I assume we are on the lower end of the scale.

Now there is an increase in sales tax of 0.9%  Just to offset $540 in lost vehicle tax, one would have to spend $5000 a month on goods and services. What percentage of Virginians spend like that? That’s before you have the reduced state income tax.

Now, of course, there are out of state folks who come into VA to shop so you can’t just look at an individuals situation. But I have a really hard time believing that these three identified things alone would offset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

So is he talking about 'Personal Property Tax' or only the tax if you own a car? Personal Property tax is a county tax with different rates by county. 

Edit: I just read the article & see he mentions only the 'auto' portion of personal property tax. So each county will need to make up their current amount collected in the new .09% increase in sales tax. I'd like to see current car tax/sales tax collected by county for the past 4-5 years to see if that's possible for some of the less populated counties. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo

Just now, Ball Security said:

Personal property tax. (I believe it also applies to leased vehicles)

That will be a huge hit to some of the bay/river counties that collect PP tax on boats and counties with municipal airports as they'll lose the PP tax on planes. People with river/bay homes in cheaper counties register their cars in those counties to pay less tax. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

In the past things like this have been designed to be offset. Like what we did with gas. I’m not sure if that’s even been discussed publicly at this point, kind of seems like they’re just getting started. I don’t want the states finances messed up. 

but the car tax is stupid. You’re taxed for wanting and having a nicer car. If you spend the same amount of money on stereos, you pay no additional tax. People who drive cheaper cars don’t drive less often on the roads. It’s a dumb tax, wouldn’t be surprised at all if he gets bipartisan support on that one. 

Having not lived in VA since 1999, does the car tax there pertain to the yearly registration fees? As in, is it part of the fees you pay to the DMV? 

As for whether car value is the best way to capture this type of tax, I'm pretty indifferent. I do think people who have expensive cars can easily afford the taxes and registration costs that come with it. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb down 1