Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glenn Youngkin and friends.

Cooked Crack

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Having not lived in VA since 1999, does the car tax there pertain to the yearly registration fees? As in, is it part of the fees you pay to the DMV? 

As for whether car value is the best way to capture this type of tax, I'm pretty indifferent. I do think people who have expensive cars can easily afford the taxes and registration costs that come with it. 

It's levied and collected by the county under state law authorization.  I think it's fine as a form of progressive tax as well.  It's rough capture using car value as proxy (which is obviously imperfect).  The real concern is what @Ball Security raised.  Youngkin's proposal is not about making the tax code more sensible, it's a tax cut in disguise.  Also @EmirOfShmo's point too (I suppose we may have to wait to see the exact legislative text to see if they divert the sales tax increase to county)

• Thumb up 3

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

That will be a huge hit to some of the bay/river counties that collect PP tax on boats and counties with municipal airports as they'll lose the PP tax on planes. People with river/bay homes in cheaper counties register their cars in those counties to pay less tax. 

And RV people. 

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Now, of course, there are out of state folks who come into VA to shop so you can’t just look at an individuals situation. But I have a really hard time believing that these three identified things alone would offset.

Well he also said part of it would step up collection on online sales (sounds good to me, have no idea what that looks like)

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

It's levied and collected by the county under state law authorization.  I think it's fine as a form of progressive tax as well.  It's rough capture using car value as proxy (which is obviously imperfect).  The real concern is what @Ball Security raised.  Youngkin's proposal is not about making the tax code more sensible, it's a tax cut in disguise.  Also @EmirOfShmo's point too (I suppose we may have to wait to see the exact legislative text to see if they divert the sales tax increase to county)

Yeah, I need to see the details on how this. A quick look at Middlesex County (Deltaville, VA on the bay) has PP tax revenue of $19.9M with only $170K in sales & use tax (I'm assuming this is what is being increased .09%). That's just not going to happen. Here's where I pulled these numbers:

https://www.co.middlesex.va.us/DocumentCenter/View/1933/ADOPTED-Revenue-June-7-20222?bidId=

Edit: And it's a solid red district. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yeah, I need to see the details on how this. A quick look at Middlesex County (Deltaville, VA on the bay) has PP tax revenue of $19.9M with only $170K in sales & use tax (I'm assuming this is what is being increased .09%). That's just not going to happen. Here's where I pulled these numbers:

https://www.co.middlesex.va.us/DocumentCenter/View/1933/ADOPTED-Revenue-June-7-20222?bidId=

I’m not saying your overall argument/stance is wrong, but it is not necessary for them to break even in the county. You may think it should be but I don’t know that that is true about this proposal. 

In fact im not sure a whole lot is clear at the moment. Just some high level, selective numbers from one side. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

I’m not saying your overall argument/stance is wrong, but it is not necessary for them to break even in the county. You may think it should be but I don’t know that that is true about this proposal. 

In fact im not sure a whole lot is clear at the moment. Just some high level, selective numbers from one side. 

But of course. Typical Sweatervest publicity stunt. 

I wrote my delegate - David Owen (GOP ran against Susanna Gibson) - asking about the "car tax". Here's his response (misspellings included):

Thank you for your message yesterday.  I have not seen all the details of the Governor's tax plan, but I will provide you the information I currently have.

Included in the Govenor's proposed budget is a reduction of the personal Virginia income tax of approximately 12% for all brackets.  The proposed reduction in income tax will be replace by increasing the state sales tax by .9%.  Neighboring states have higher sales tax rates than Virginia and lower income tax rates.  This change is the Govenor's plan to make us more competitive with neighboring states so we can reverse the trend over the last decade of more Virginias leaving Virginia for states like Tennessee and North Carolina than we have coming to Virginia.

The elimination of the car tax is not in the current budget proposal, but the Govenor would like to replace the car tax with an additional increase in the sales tax for localities.   This change is more complicated since it provides funding for localities across the Commonwealth.  As you pointed out the "car tax" is a personal property tax on more than just cars.  It impacts all vehicles, and it impacts businesses personal property.  I will try to get the clarification you have requested to determine the extent of the personal property elimination from the tax.

I do not know where to obtain the information about Goochland's revenue and expenses you have requested.  I suggest you contact the the Goochland County Manager's office or your Supervisor.  We will also contact Goochland County to try to obtain the answers to your questions about Goochland's income and cost. 

I am sorry I do not have all the answers to your questions, but I hope this helps with a better understanding of the overall proposed changes in generating tax revenue for the Commonwealth.  We are just getting set up in our General Assembly office and I will be sworn in on January 10th, so we do not have access to all our resources yet.  I did receive a complete copy of the proposed budget yesterday and I will be reviewing it over the next several weeks before the session starts.  

30 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh y'alls sales and income taxes are lower than NC. Yinz property taxes are dirt cheap in comparison as well. Not like we're a neighboring state or anything tho. 🤣

Yeah, my next email is going to ask for the data on that comment. Also, I want to see the data about people leaving VA for NC & TN - excluding retirees. I'll wait until after January 10th...

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yeah, my next email is going to ask for the data on that comment. Also, I want to see the data about people leaving VA for NC & TN - excluding retirees. I'll wait until after January 10th...

I think it’s good that he responded to you. But like I said before, it’s disingenuous to say that income tax is being reduced by 12% and sales tax is increased by 0.9%. Express the changes consistently.

• Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Here's his response (misspellings included):

For the love of all that is holy, please print this out and mark it up with a red pen, pointing out all of the typos and grammatical errors, and circling where he states he doesn’t have information and adding “WHY NOT?”  Then send it back. 

For example,

image.png.8aaf17af7cef439b6ee737ce42d12925.png

• Haha 3

Stoked to stop paying personal property tax. 

boats in a different state but bringing it back may happen. And I just test drove a 2500 at4. Caped on salt in a laughable way so, would love to cut out some of the double taxing on how I choose to spend my money. 

Edited by tshile

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

Stoked to stop paying personal property tax. 

boats in a different state but bringing it back may happen. And I just test drove a 2500 at4. Caped on salt in a laughable way so, would love to cut out some of the double taxing on how I choose to spend my money. 

It's not going to happen. Ever. It's been talked about for 30(?) years. GOP is grasping at straws in VA. 'Tax cuts for everybody' is the new CRT in 2024. 

In response to @Captain Wiggles comments above: You're right. A quick look at VA avg sales tax 5.75% vs NC 6.99% vs TN 9.55%    Shocking I know...

https://taxfoundation.org/location/north-carolina/ 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I would presume you make a lot more money than me 😂 

you choose not to own a boat and think I should have to pay more in taxes because I chose to spend my money on a boat, then act like it’s the rich trying to get out of taxes 😂 

Not that it matters va doesn’t get to tax me on it currently. 

but I’ll be glad when they can’t tax my truck or my wife’s car. 

• 5 weeks later...