Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did too.  Was bored so listened to the whole thing but yeah Doc is funny in small doses but he can't carry anything long because he's so repetitive but I'll give him that he owns up to that.  

Terry being out as was expected yet it likely is a story tomorrow anyway

After June 1st before June 15th, Terry will be on the field with a new contract.  JMO.  :)  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, sebestian said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10036720-commanders-rumors-terry-mclaurin-washington-remain-far-apart-in-contract-talks

I agree not something I wanted to see just before hitting the hay.  Then again how many times do a team and a player hot the sweet spot for a contract right off the bat.  Interested to see the comments in the am.

Rumors lead to reading more rumors.  Let June 15th get here and if he hasn't signed by then we can start talking about it.  :)  

I think the reporting that the "sides are far apart" is the concerning bit. It's one thing if they're waiting for Collins to come off the books, but just like Washington promising to be aggressive in free agency and aggressive post draft, they have promised to be aggressive in signing Terry. Clearly, they don't know what that word means.

They've had the entire offseason to prepare a plan and to be negotiating. I could see there being some fine points, holding things up, but the sides shouldn't be far apart. Far apart sounds like the serious negotiating hasn't even begun and clearly Washington has lost ground by waiting. If they jumped to the front and signed McClaurin before any of these other receivers the cost would have been less and Terry still would have gotten an elite contract. More, he would have felt loved.

I don't know if he feels unloved now, but having to wait and wait and wait for things to happen when he sees others being taken care of can't be good.  Hopefully, there's more going on behind the scenes, but by this time the sides should have a handshake deal or a deal in principle done even if for some reason they want to wait until June. 

I hope this will get done. It should get done, but over the few years there have been a lot of things that should have gotten done that the team has failed on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think the reporting that the "sides are far apart" is the concerning bit. It's one thing if they're waiting for Collins to come off the books, but just like Washington promising to be aggressive in free agency and aggressive post draft, they have promised to be aggressive in signing Terry. Clearly, they don't know what that word means.

They've had the entire offseason to prepare a plan and to be negotiating. I could see there being some fine points, holding things up, but the sides shouldn't be far apart. Far apart sounds like the serious negotiating hasn't even begun and clearly Washington has lost ground by waiting. If they jumped to the front and signed McClaurin before any of these other receivers the cost would have been less and Terry still would have gotten an elite contract. More, he would have felt loved.

I don't know if he feels unloved now, but having to wait and wait and wait for things to happen when he sees others being taken care of can't be good.  Hopefully, there's more going on behind the scenes, but by this time the sides should have a handshake deal or a deal in principle done even if for some reason they want to wait until June. 

I hope this will get done. It should get done, but over the few years there have been a lot of things that should have gotten done that the team has failed on.

IRC Jonathan Allen and the team were "far apart" before he signed his extension. It's merely kayfabe at this point

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

On the other hand, Kirk, Scherrf, etc.

To be fair I dont think either of those players wanted to be here. Now Kirk had a lot to do with Bruce. Scherff we offered more money than he even got from Jacksonville so from a money standpoint we were fairly aggressive

I realize this is only the first day, but given what happened with the defense and the lines underperformance following Young and Sweat skipping last year... I would have hoped they'd be around if for no other reason than to show leadership.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I realize this is only the first day, but given what happened with the defense and the lines underperformance following Young and Sweat skipping last year... I would have hoped they'd be around if for no other reason than to show leadership.

Can't fake leadership. J Allen leads by example and attitude with no effort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

No doubt Terry's agent is thinking the same thing. He's seen the playbook on maxing out compensation from this team and getting a client to a big FA payday. 

Even if Terry's wants to be back, his agent isn't doing his job if he's not pushing this to some degree. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Kirk was a GMSM and Bruce Allen debacle.  They're not here anymore.  I think it's hard to read anything into Kirk and what might have happened if Ron was here.

Scherff, also part of Bruce.  By the time Rivera got here, Bruce had blown the opportunity to give him a "guard" extension prior to his fifth year option.  Scherff would have been absolutely crazy not to work towards the franchise tag, since it would be top 5 tackle money for a guard.  Unless Ron offered him a top-5 tackle contract in 2020 (which he shouldn't have done, and didn't do), there was no chance of a deal getting done.  

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, Sweat, have to see what the excuse is there.  It might be legitimate.  It might not be.

Young, I believe he was here for other parts of the off-season program, and I thought he might have had an "excused absence" to continue his rehab in Florida (I think) with the trainers he is working with. Ron has said Young has been in contact with him all off-season, and sending him videos of his workouts, and he has been in touch with the training staff here.  

Since he can't actually do anything on the field, if they all felt it was more beneficial for him to continue rehab elsewhere, I have no problem with that.

Now, if Ron comes out and says he doesn't know where Chase is, my story flips 180 degrees.

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Total bust.  Season over.  Fire everybody.  Cut Wentz now.  Taylor should play.  At least, it should be a legitimate competition.  If you're throwing INTs to Corn Freaking Elder (great name, by the way, very Lord of the Rings-y), you can't play in the NFL.  Get him out of here.  

25 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Pretty frustrating that Sweat is not there.

Yeah, have to wait and see what's up with that.  But at the surface, it is very disappointing.  

I know a whole bunch have people have said they should trade Payne.  I'm not sure I wouldn't trade Sweat and sign Payne.  In a vacuum.  They have Young, assuming he gets his head out of his ass and performs to his talent level.  They should be able to find another DE.  I wouldn't do it before this season, which will be Sweat's 4th, but I might do it before his 5th year option year, which would be next off-season.  He kindof seems like the least bought-in of the bunch.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, Sweat, have to see what the excuse is there.  It might be legitimate.  It might not be.

Young, I believe he was here for other parts of the off-season program, and I thought he might have had an "excused absence" to continue his rehab in Florida (I think) with the trainers he is working with. Ron has said Young has been in contact with him all off-season, and sending him videos of his workouts, and he has been in touch with the training staff here.  

Since he can't actually do anything on the field, if they all felt it was more beneficial for him to continue rehab elsewhere, I have no problem with that.

Now, if Ron comes out and says he doesn't know where Chase is, my story flips 180 degrees

Yeah, have to wait and see what's up with that.  But at the surface, it is very disappointing.  

According to Ron after practice today, sweat was excused for personal reasons, expects him back tomorrow. 

Chase young, he’s rehabbing in Colorado and will be back at the facility “eventually”. I’ll have to listen to the full press conference but that’s what local media said on tweets that I saw 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

No doubt Terry's agent is thinking the same thing. He's seen the playbook on maxing out compensation from this team and getting a client to a big FA payday. 

Even if Terry's wants to be back, his agent isn't doing his job if he's not pushing this to some degree. 

Terry's agent is thinking if they don't get a deal this year, no matter what, his client loses $20M dollars of total compensation across his career, so he has to get the deal done this year.

This is what people don't really realize: the team actually has much more leverage, which was given to them by the NFLPA's agreement of the current CBA.   The only leverage Terry has is to sit out, possibly indefinitely.  Which he won't want to do.  

It's simple: if Terry plays on his deal this year, he makes ~$2.7M cash this year.  If he sits out, he makes nothing, AND he is still under team control, so he's not going to do that.  

- Then next year, in all likelihood, the team franchises him, and he makes ~$20M in 2023.

- Then the next year, they tag him again, he gets a 20% bump, and makes $22M in 2024.  

- Then he hits free-agency.  He's made ~$45M in 3 years. Which, don't get me wrong, is not bad. He's also in his late 20's looking for his first big-money LTD.  That's not an ideal spot to be in.  

However, let's take the Diggs contract extension as a comp.  Granted, Diggs had 2 years left on his deal when they extended him, but it's a pretty good comp:

- $21.5M signing bonus cash paid right now. It's a 4 year extension, with the new salaries kicking in in 2023.  In addition to his current $2.7M 2022 salary, he gets the signing bonus.  So 2022 cash earnings = $24M.

- Total cash of somewhere around $20-22M per year for the next 4 years of the extension. 

- In this scenario, his 3 year take is  ~$68M. Which is better?  $45M or $68M?  

- He would also have somewhere around $50M guaranteed at signing, probably more.  

If he doesn't sign a LTD this off-season, he is absolutely destined to the franchise tag game, and he loses $20M he will never get back. There is no way to make is up by going through FA, it's just gone.

The NFLPA really screwed their players when they agreed to this part of the CBA.  It puts first round picks who are good under team control for 7 years, with the first 5 of which at a below-market salary, with no ability to re-negotiate until before the 5th year option.  

Terry's leverage is in three ways:

1. The team WANTS him to be on the team. Both because he's really good but also because he's a fan favorite and the personification of one of Ron's guys.

2. He can sit out, and the team does not want that in a year they need to win, having just made the Wentz trade

3. It's a VERY VERY bad look for the team not to get a deal done with one of it's most popular players.  

That's it.  That's his leverage. And he can thank the union for that.  I think the NFLPA really screwed the rookies.  I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but they have, and they really should fix it.  HOWEVER, players who are in college are not part of the union, so it makes sense the current players would screw the next generation to take more for themselves.  It's just short-sighted.  The owners probably don't care so much, because they have to compensate up to the revenue sharing agreement regardless.  They just want a way not to have to have rookie hold-outs, which is fair. But if the union flipped things around to give rookies more, eh, I don't think the owners would give a damn as long as the total revenue % didn't change.  Thus ends my rant against the NFLPA.  

Back to Terry, I still think it's going to get done.  Because everybody wants it to get done.  

But Terry sitting out is absolutely the right thing to do for him, because he has to try and manufacture some leverage. If it was just up to the team, honestly, possibly the best solution is to let him play on his current contract and tag him twice.  You have him basically through his prime, don't have to commit huge dollars, and then can find another WR instead of paying Terry $120M over 5 years.  

But literally nobody wants that.  And there is no way the Commanders are going to get value back in a trade.  So, it will get done.  

(At least, that's the reasonable expectation.  If there are cash issues, or owner issues, or other issues, that could all blow up.  But that's the reasonable way of looking at it.)

• Like 2