Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like that Peter King doesn't like Snyder but outside of that his hate for this team is a constant and a bit boring.

But the Eagles hype seems to be everywhere.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/23/2022-nfl-power-rankings-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

9. Philadelphia (9-9, lost to Tampa Bay in the wild-card round)

I see the Eagles as the best team in the East. I see Jalen Hurts doing enough to be a C-plus quarterback, with the addition of A.J. Brown. I see the receiving corps of Brown, DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins and Zach Pascal being good enough to make the Eagles a top-10 offense. I see Haason Redick returning to the scene of his prime (he played college football at Temple) and James Bradberry fortifying a corner depth chart to make this the best defense in the NFC East.

What I like about what the Eagles have done this offseason is this: They’ve created a team with a legitimate chance of winning now, with a legitimate offense to make a judgment on Jalen Hurts as the future quarterback. GM Howie Roseman has done it while still retaining enough pieces for the future to address the quarterback position if he needs in 2023. Roseman has three picks in the first two rounds next year, and three picks in the first two rounds of 2024. He’s done his job: He’s built a team for 2022, and he’s built a team that can do a U-turn in 2023 if need be.

The Eagles are better on both sides of the ball than they were in January, and that was capped by the Bradberry signing. In the end, they have a chance to win a game in January. The biggest addition was Brown, and I think he can be the difference in two or three games. “A.J. was a DNA match with us,” Roseman told me after the trade. “He was exactly what we were looking for in a receiver, and he matched our culture.” Good add.

24. N.Y. Giants (4-13, out of the playoffs)

With a manageable schedule, and a QB-friendly head coach in Brian Daboll, and a receiving corps that at least starts camp with a chance to be impactful, and the first time in years the Giants can look at an offensive line with two high-achieving tackles (Andrew Thomas, Evan Neal), Daniel Jones actually has a chance to be the quarterback he was drafted to be in 2019. Daboll and Joe Schoen aren’t lying when they say they think Jones has a chance to be the guy for the future. While odds are against it, Jones is set up to have the best chance he’s had to be a middle-of-the-pack quarterback. If he’s that, the Giants could win seven. Amazing, isn’t it, that this franchise who snuffed out New England’s Super Bowl twice in the last 15 years hasn’t won a playoff game in a decade—and a seven-win season would get the locals fired up. 

26. Washington (7-10, out of the playoffs)

Mike Florio said this first, and I loved it: Carson Wentz is in the perfect spot for the 2022 Carson Wentz. He has no godfather in Washington. To review: Wentz entered the NFL under the fatherly wing of Doug Pederson, then went rogue against Pederson, then landed under the fatherly wing of Frank Reich, then underachieved and got fired after one season in Indy, then got traded to Washington. He’s with strangers. He’s got to prove himself to new people, and he has a decent crew of receivers (Terry McLaurin, Jahan Dotson, Curtis Samuel) to help prove himself. That’ll be a fun subplot for another building season in D.C.

Peter thinks that is only a " decent " wr crew? Geez, what would be a " good " wr crew in his mind? Rice, Moss, and T.O.? Man, he has high standards. I think our wr crew is VERY good.

26 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I said the same thing in a group chat the other day. Philly won one game against a team with a winning record last year and that was against the Saints who started Trevor Siemian. And honestly when you go look at their schedule from last year most of their games against teams that finished with winning records weren't even particularly close. Add in the fact that typically defenses catch up to running qbs in year two I think it could end up being a huge disappointment for Philly if Hurts cant take big step forward as a passer.

I'm not saying they won't be improved.  They could even be good.  But, as Sheehan said last year about us, that has more to do with what they've done in the off-season than what they did last season.  He was right about that.  Even if he's kindof gone of the deep end on other things since then.

Eagles schedule and opposing QBs:

(W) - Atlanta: Matt Ryan.  Atlanta was BAD early in the season. 

(L) - San Fran: Jimmy G.

(L) - Dallas: Dak.  (They got BLOWN OUT)

(L) - KC: Mahomes (KC was sleep walking through the season, still hung 42 on them.)

(W) - Panthers: Darnold, who might be the worst QB in the NFL.  21-37 1 TD, 3 INTs.  That's a big eeeeeee.

(L) - Bucs: Brady

(L) - Raiders: Carr

(W) - Lions: Goff.  Who was sacked 5 times.  And is not good.

(L) - Chargers: Herbert. 

[And here we go, race to the playoffs]

(W) - Denver: Teddy

(W) - Saints: Siemian

(L) - Giants: Jones (Jones is also not very good)

(W) - Jets: Zach Wilson (Rookie)

(W) - WFT: Heinicke (backup)

(W) - Giants: Mike Glennon and Jake Fromm

(W) - WFT: Heinicke again, sill a backup. 

(L) - Dallas: Dak. (You almost have to toss this one out.  They had clinched, Dallas was playing for seeding, and scored 51 on them.  They played Minchew.)

Early in the season when they played good QBs, they got shredded.  41 to Dallas, 42 to the Chiefs, 28 to Tampa, 33 to the Raiders and 27 to the Chargers.  Hell, the Saints with Siemien scored 29. 

When they played Bridgewater, TH, Jones, Fromm, Mike Glennon, Goff, the defense did very well. 

Now, if the players they have added makes them a significantly better team, fine.  But last year, they really took advantage of a really crummy lineup of QBs.  And when they faced a good QB, each one of them diced them like a Moriomoto dices an onion.  

11 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

If I told you that Dotson and Brown would develop into quality WR's; would you still pay McLaurin?

Yes. 

Because then you'd have 4 good WRs this year and next, and then you probably let Samuel go, and you have 3 good receivers.

Dotson is under team control at a bargain for 5 more years.  Brown for 3 more years. You don't have to pay either of them for 3 more years.  You would have a cheap WR room with a superstar.  

And McLaurin is a top-end WR.  

It would be an insane luxury to have that for the next 4 years.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Peter thinks that is only a " decent " wr crew? Geez, what would be a " good " wr crew in his mind? Rice, Moss, and T.O.? Man, he has high standards. I think our wr crew is VERY good.

I saw some national guy, forgetting whom post his rankings of the WRs in the league in categories.  the Eagles were naturally in the elite category. this team they ranked in the bottom category.

The Eagles hype and trashing of this team seems even wilder than usual as to off season rumbilings.  

Maybe one upside to this is Rivera hinted last season (Del Rio did the same recently harkening back) that some of the younger players had big egos about themselves and this team.  And that's not the case anymore.  Suggesting they are properly humbled.  Maybe the national media crapping on them is good to add some fuel. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm not saying they won't be improved.  They could even be good.  But, as Sheehan said last year about us, that has more to do with what they've done in the off-season than what they did last season.  He was right about that.  Even if he's kindof gone of the deep end on other things since then.

(W) - Atlanta: Matt Ryan.  Atlanta was BAD early in the season. 

(L) - San Fran: Jimmy G.

(L) - Dallas: Dak.  (They got BLOWN OUT)

(L) - KC: Mahomes (KC was sleep walking through the season, still hung 42 on them.)

(W) - Panthers: Darnold, who might be the worst QB in the NFL.  21-37 1 TD, 3 INTs.  That's a big eeeeeee.

(L) - Bucs: Brady

(L) - Raiders: Carr

(W) - Lions: Goff.  Who was sacked 5 times.  And is not good.

(L) - Chargers: Herbert. 

[And here we go, race to the playoffs]

(W) - Denver: Teddy

(W) - Saints: Siemian

(L) - Giants: Jones (Jones is also not very good)

(W) - Jets: Zach Wilson (Rookie)

(W) - Giants: Mike Glennon and Jake Fromm

(L) - Dallas: Dak. (You almost have to toss this one out.  They had clinched, Dallas was playing for seeding, and scored 51 on them.  They played Minchew.)

Early in the season when they played good QBs, they got shredded.  41 to Dallas, 42 to the Chiefs, 28 to Tampa, 33 to the Raiders and 27 to the Chargers.  Hell, the Saints with Siemien scored 29. 

When they played Bridgewater, TH, Jones, Fromm, Mike Glennon, Goff, the defense did very well. 

Now, if the players they have added makes them a significantly better team, fine.  But last year, they really took advantage of a really crummy lineup of QBs.  And when they faced a good QB, each one of them diced them like a Moriomoto dices an onion.  

Yeah I think when I did the math the other day they got outscored something like 299 to 211 against teams with winning records. One correction to your list though. The first game they played against Garret Gilbert who had only been with us for like 3 days going into that game

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I saw some national guy, forgetting whom post his rankings of the WRs in the league in categories.  the Eagles were naturally in the elite category. this team they ranked in the bottom category.

The Eagles hype and trashing of this team seems even wilder than usual as to off season rumbilings.  

Maybe one upside to this is Rivera hinted last season (Del Rio did the same recently harkening back) that some of the younger players had big egos about themselves and this team.  And that's not the case anymore.  Suggesting they are properly humbled.  Maybe the national media crapping on them is good to add some fuel. 

Yeah I think one of the coaches mentioned them reading too much into their press clippings and believing their hype. Honestly right now i hope they are paying attention to their press clippings. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

One correction to your list though. The first game they played against Garret Gilbert who had only been with us for like 3 days going into that game

Right Right.  That's a good clarification that changes nothing.  

7 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Yeah I think one of the coaches mentioned them reading too much into their press clippings and believing their hype. Honestly right now i hope they are paying attention to their press clippings. 

With Julie Donadlson a few weeks ago, Julie said something insiunuating they had a lot of confidence, and Jack sarcastically replied "yeah, we had it all figured out."

THAT was telling.  Jack doesn't say anything ever to anybody.  

Maybe it's that Julie is a team employee, is not trying to catch him, and is disarming (and, fwiw, attractive), or maybe it's because he was so mad about it last year he couldn't contain himself, I don't know.  

But damn, he was on fire with that.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Right Right.  That's a good clarification that changes nothing.  

No youre right. Crazy thing about that game is if Heinicke starts and Landon doesnt get hurt mid game thats a completely different ball game even with all the covid issues.

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

To further your point, the first game wasn't against Heinicke. That was Garrett Gilbert.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think they thought they were a 10-12 win team last year.  Then Fitz got hurt in the opener.  That, as they say, was the end of that. 

However, what I'm sure they didn't expect was the complete and total collapse of the defense.

My guess is Ron and JDR believe they know EXACTLY what went wrong, and are not going to let it go wrong again.  The question is, are they right?  But I'd be absolutely shocked if they weren't completely confident they know what the problem is, and have a plan to fix it.

As Sheehan mentioned, Rivera had a bit of a pump the breaks song leading to that season.  

Keim and Bram both mentioned back then that they didn't like the vibe around the team leading to the season, they referenced the end of camp didn't give off a great vibe albeit they never explained what that meant.

Feels like with some of the younger players especially Sweat and Chase, there was a Rocky 3 vibe about them.  The egos were big and perhaps they lost some of their edge.

I think also the COVID issue might have caused some tension.  It's not hard to deduce that Chase and Sweat weren't on the same page with Rivera on that issue as well.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Cooley actually thought Turner could pass Thomas as a receiver, said he had that kind of skill.  I think you're going to see him right away as a big target while Logan is out.  

Cole Turner made my list of "my guys" that we do on the draft thread before the draft where we pick guys we like more than most.  Actually I highlighted Dotson, too.  And Robinson was one of the guys I pushed for on draft day before our pick came up.  So unlike Thor Nystrom, they did a nice job fulfilling "my board."  So naturally this means they nailed the draft.  :ols:

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

It is funny to juxtapose this offseason vs last offseason. Last year media was all over this team predicting division champs etc. Meanwhile Ron was saying publicly over and over again to pump the brakes etc. This offseason has been the exact opposite in the media seems to hate this teams prospects where as Ron is telling anyone who listens that this team is ready to take a step forward.

Yep exactly that's why I take his optimism seriously.    

Feels like Rivera loves the look on offense this year compared to last year while also feeling that some of the players who had let down seasons last year are approaching this season with the right attitude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So unlike Thor Nystrom, they did a nice job fulfilling "my board."  So naturally this means they nailed the draft.  :ols:

So you're just Thor Nystom in reverse?  

Got it.  

:P

9 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

No youre right. Crazy thing about that game is if Heinicke starts and Landon doesnt get hurt mid game thats a completely different ball game even with all the covid issues.

Eh.  Maybe.  

I don't think we're winning that game with the COVID issues regardless of who started. The team was decimated across the board.   

But we started well.  And TH would have been an upgrade to Gilbert.

If it was the full team with no COVID issues?  I think there's a good chance we win.  

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

To further your point, the first game wasn't against Heinicke. That was Garrett Gilbert.

Yeah, my bad.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Two ways to look at it - quez Watkins had more catches and yards in the nfl last year than Samuel Dotson and brown combined. And he’s their number 3. I love the Dotson pick but perhaps King is living a little more in the “show me/prove it to me/what have you done lately” vs the paper potential of the group and he ain’t wrong. 

We’ve been buying in on potential for a while now but there’s rarely, if ever, any substance. Young needs to dominate, take over games and easily surpass double digit sacks. Sweat shouldn’t be far off that with Allen Payne and Mathis pushing the pocket. 

Dotson should pop immediately and produce. Davis should be put in situations to really make an impact and he better execute/produce. Jackson needs to lock dudes down. 

Produce - do what you’re here to do or get off the field. Work and produce like Mclaurin on a consistent basis and the team will win and the media tune will gradually change. 

Otherwise it’s all talk and empty calories. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So you're just Thor Nystom in reverse?  

Got it.  

:P

Yep, I am like Costanza I just take the opposite take that he does and run with it.😀

Bringing this back to Cole Turner, my one point of caution is it seems to be a position that takes time to shine.   Some hyped TEs who were big names and who I loved before the draft like TJ Hockenson and Cole Kmet had pretty modest rookie seasons but after that they took off.

The TE spot is sort of what the WR spot used to be in that its rare to see dudes shine in a big way in season 1. 

35 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Peter thinks that is only a " decent " wr crew?

It's not that hard to understand, IMO.

McLaurin is a stud, no doubt. Outside of him, Samuel missed basically the entire year injured, Dotson hasn't played a single snap at the NFL level, and Dyami Brown had a whopping 12 receptions for 165 yards the entire year.

Outside of McLaurin, the WR crew is still a significant unknown until we see them perform on Sundays.

• Like 1

Nagy, ex-scout who has seen most of these players up close and for those he hasn't, he's checked out with his sources around the league.  This is his take on the draft.  Granted he's not Thor Nystrom but still...😀

• Like 2

Yeah, we have a bunch of potential at WR but, next to no proven production. Less than 1,300 yrds from your top 4 guys is harsh any way you slice it. Most teams get 80% of  that from just one guy, let alone their top 4. We are almost entirely dependent on getting production that has either not been proven to be possible, or has not been reliable.

And with the questions surrounding Logan you have the same issue at TE, a lot of unproven guys with promise, but no NFL history to point to and have confidence they can get it done.

The only offensive skill group we have with good amounts of proven production are the RBs. Beyond that, it is not surprising when people don't project lofty goalposts for a specific position group or the unit as a whole, especially w/ a new QB in a new system.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep, I am like Costanza I just take the opposite take that he does and run with it.😀

Bringing this back to Cole Turner, my one point of caution is it seems to be a position that takes time to shine.   Some hyped TEs who were big names and who I loved before the draft like TJ Hockenson and Cole Kmet had pretty modest rookie seasons but after that they took off.

The TE spot is sort of what the WR spot used to be in that its rare to see dudes shine in a big way in season 1. 

I generally expect very little from any rookie.  

I expect less from a 5th rounder. 

I do think they will use him early though, but I think it's going to be limited, and they're going to use him essentially as a big WR.  

I'd like it if they just had him run a few slants from the slot here and there, with his big body, he can shield off players and make a few catches. 

Based on what I've seen from him, he should be able to at least do that.  

Question, you might know/remember the PUP/IR rules better than I do.  Here's what I think I know:

- If you are placed on the PUP list before camp, you can stay on the PUP list into the season.  And I think you have to stay on it for 6 weeks minimum.

- I don't really know what the rules are more than that to return from PUP.  

- If you are NOT on the PUP list at the beginning of camp, you can't be put on it.

- If you start the season on IR, your season is over. 

- I don't think there's a lot of different between being on the PUP vs IR list once the season starts.  But I'm not sure.

- I don't think you can go from PUP to IR unless it is to end your season.  

- I think there are other things I don't know.  

My guess is both Young and Thomas start Training Camp on the PUP list.  

If I had to wager $100, I'd wager both start the season on PUP.  Almost certainly Thomas.  Maybe not Young.  If he's closer than 6 weeks, then maybe they put him on the active roster and inactivate him a few games.  I'd honestly be shocked if he played in the opener.  

I think Thomas comes back somewhere around mid-season.  I think he got hurt in December of last year, and I think him returning in November sometime would be "about right."  

Young I expect more in October.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I

Question, you might know/remember the PUP/IR rules better than I do.  Here's what I think I know:

- If you are placed on the PUP list before camp, you can stay on the PUP list into the season.  And I think you have to stay on it for 6 weeks minimum.

- I don't really know what the rules are more than that to return from PUP.  

- If you are NOT on the PUP list at the beginning of camp, you can't be put on it.

- If you start the season on IR, your season is over. 

- I don't think there's a lot of different between being on the PUP vs IR list once the season starts.  But I'm not sure.

- I don't think you can go from PUP to IR unless it is to end your season.  

- I think there are other things I don't know.  

My guess is both Young and Thomas start Training Camp on the PUP list.  

If I had to wager $100, I'd wager both start the season on PUP.  Almost certainly Thomas.  Maybe not Young.  If he's closer than 6 weeks, then maybe they put him on the active roster and inactivate him a few games.  I'd honestly be shocked if he played in the opener.  

I think Thomas comes back somewhere around mid-season.  I think he got hurt in December of last year, and I think him returning in November sometime would be "about right."  

Young I expect more in October.  

Seems like Chase is shooting for the beginning of the season, whether he's successful or not, will see.  Keim said they think Chase is ahead of schedule but also cautions that declarations like that don't mean much this early.  Yeah it feels like Logan misses the first month give or take. 

If a player is designated for the PUP list at the start of the season, the NFL's rules dictate that he must sit out for at least six weeks. Then, teams will have a window of five weeks to decide whether that player can start practicing.Aug 31, 2021

• Like 1

Big year for Logan Thomas.  He must be healthy and contribute this year. We have an out after this season in 2023 if he doesn't.  I think that Turner will surprise BIG time this year and we already have Bates.  Let's see what Reyes brings.  I love the additions of UDFAs Hodges and Rogers.   

Our wide receiver group should be considered average right now. Let’s not be bias. Besides Terry who is a stud, Samuels never had a thousand yard season, Brown was awful as a rookie, and Dotson who I think will be very solid is a rookie. Logan won’t be ready right away and Bates is solid. We’ll see about Turner and others but still unproven. 

I think the Eagles wide receivers are slightly better going into the season. Davonta Smith was their main receiver last year and he didn’t have a thousand yards and only 5 tds. Sure Watkins had a decent year as their third wideout but had all of one td and don’t get me started on how bad Jalen Raegor is. I had AJ Brown on my fantasy team the last 2 years. Sure he’s good but didn’t even had a thousand yards last year with Derrick Henry out for the majority of the season. He’s a quick catch receiver who does have the ability to take it to the house. Not much of a true possession receiver and gets dinged up a lot. Lastly the common denominator is Hurts who is a poor man’s Lamar Jackson. I dont think he will ever develop into a pocket passer.   

Its not even training camp so we’ll see how guys look but we definitely need to resign Terry. Get it done!

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Big year for Logan Thomas.  He must be healthy and contribute this year. We have an out after this season in 2023 if he doesn't.  I think that Turner will surprise BIG time this year and we already have Bates.  Let's see what Reyes brings.  I love the additions of UDFAs Hodges and Rogers.   

I think he comes back mid-season.  But we’ll see.

So I had the misfortune to listen to the Keim podcast with Doc Walker.  I don’t know why I did it.  If anybody is thinking about listening to it, listen to the beginning, then turn it off.  

Doc is a legend as a player, but he has taken the tough guy schtick to such an extent it now fails to even be entertaining.  

He told Keim the only thing that matters is wins.  Well, no duh.  He can’t judge the team until they win.  He even said he was a bad guest because he can’t fill 3 hours with garbage.  He’s right, he’s a terrible guest.  

He kept blathering on about he was “done” being sold these agendas and plans.  To my count, he’s been done every season at least since 2005.  He’s had the same tough guy results only I’m done with everything else schtick for close to 20 years.  Every year.  

He also said he is now going to hold them to a higher standard.  Well thank God.  Somebody is gong to hold them to a high standard.  And Really?  Just now? Not every other year you’ve said the sAme thing hoping people will forget you said it the previous year.  And  What if they fail to meet it?  What are you going to do? Nothing except rant again next year?  Right, got it.  

He wants to start Mayo at MLB because he thinks he’s good.  Keim said they needed somebody with that skill set but better.  Doc just wants to play Mayo. 

He compared Robinson to Stephen Davis, which was actually possibly the only non-stupid thing he said.  

Then he said the difference between winning and losing was doing the little things well and winning on Teams.  Again, no **** Sherlock.  

He apparently has a paid podcast through Patreon.  If anybody listens to that garbage, hit me up, I’ve got a piece of ocean front property in Iowa to sell you.  Good price.  No refunds or returns.  

Dear god.  I get the other best reporters like Doc.  For entertainment value, he was ok for a while.  Now he needs to just be gone.  Or at least only on his podcast which i (and frankly nobody else) should ever pay for.  But not on actual podcasts or radio shows where they could get a trained seal who would be more insightful.  Even those idiots from PFF are more insightful, and I don’t like them either. 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So I had the misfortune to listen to the Keim podcast with Doc Walker.  I don’t know why I did it.  If anybody is thinking about listening to it, listen to the beginning, then turn it off.  

Doc is a legend as a player, but he has taken the tough guy schtick to such an extent it now fails to even be entertaining.  

I did too.  Was bored so listened to the whole thing but yeah Doc is funny in small doses but he can't carry anything long because he's so repetitive but I'll give him that he owns up to that.  

Terry being out as was expected yet it likely is a story tomorrow anyway