Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Honestly, at this stage we look asleep at the wheel. 

If neither Wagner nor Mathieu land on our roster I will seriously question our FO.

Mathieu seems like an instant no, as it would offset the Scherff comp pick. And the team really seems to want it

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Bold of you to assume any high-caliber FA's want to play here.

I think it's relatively common knowledge that premier FA's don't view Washington as an attractive option.

True. Scherff signed with Jax. How insulting.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we are able to pull in guys. Lots of agents are going to recommend different locations than DC if there is even similar interest. And players know what this franchise is. 

Yep agree. You posted this before FA. And it’s correct. Sadly, moving back from #11 to acquire some more talent may be a necessity.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

You can say that a year after winning the superbowl. and every other year.

Maybe so. We ain’t now better, aside from Wentz. How can anyone say they aren’t deeply disappointed with FA. It’s been **** so far.....

13 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Mathieu seems like an instant no, as it would offset the Scherff comp pick. And the team really seems to want it

Yep that 2023 3rd is a deal breaker isn’t it.

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

True. Scherff signed with Jax. How insulting.

Yep agree. You posted this before FA. And it’s correct. Sadly, moving back from #11 to acquire some more talent may be a necessity.

Maybe so. We ain’t now better, aside from Wentz. How can anyone say they aren’t deeply disappointed with FA. It’s been **** so far.....

Yep that 2023 3rd is a deal breaker isn’t it.

Good ridents to Scherff. Hated the pick when made. Guy was hurt too much for what he was paid and the last straw was watching Parsens blow past him a number of times last year. Ungrateful after what we paid him last year.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Honestly, at this stage we look asleep at the wheel. 

If neither Wagner nor Mathieu land on our roster I will seriously question our FO.

Mock drafts have us getting the safety from ND and I would be happy with that. Far as Wagner, He visited the Rams and I heard nothing. Would be happy with Wentz, Wagner and resign of Mck and a good draft of safety and wr.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I only see three starting caliber ILB's left in FA....Wagner, Schobert and Alexander Johnson.

We are even further limited because Josey Jewell was the playcaller for Denver. I don't know if Johnson has shown that ability...that basically leaves you with Joe Scho. He's average to below average as a starter. Very good coverage linebacker but sucks against the run. Fans overrate him because of his Pro Bowl pedigree

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

Only chance we get him is if he's available after the draft since we are hell bent on saving the comp pick. 

Wonder what kind of interest Collins has gotten...

2 minutes ago, method man said:

We are even further limited because Josey Jewell was the playcaller for Denver. I don't know if Johnson has shown that ability...that basically leaves you with Joe Scho. He's average to below average as a starter. Very good coverage linebacker but sucks against the run. Fans overrate him because of his Pro Bowl pedigree

Would getting a lb who can cover well open up the ability for Davis to play the run and think less? Seems pretty good to me but I'm no expert.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Only chance we get him is if he's available after the draft since we are hell bent on saving the comp pick. 

Wonder what kind of interest Collins has gotten...

Would getting a lb who can cover well open up the ability for Davis to play the run and think less? Seems pretty good to me but I'm no expert.

I would say that you would want to have Davis as a coverage linebacker given his speed and hip flexibility. He is not a guy who is going to stack and shed in the run game. The hope, honestly, is that you can draft Muma, Andersen or someone of that caliber in the 2nd and hope that he unseats Scho as the starter at ILB fairly quickly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we are able to pull in guys. Lots of agents are going to recommend different locations than DC if there is even similar interest. And players know what this franchise is. 

One of the biggest attractions to a FA is the facility. If they’ve played somewhere that their owner put in some money towards facilities the second they step foot on the Command Post they are going to be grossly underwhelmed. 

people can say we shouldn’t talk about Snyder but he is a dark cloud that is constantly hovering. Plus our trainer being involved in a scandal. Plus Snyder’s own scandal. Plus we’re not winning. 

We just aren’t a destination. We very well may have been in on a lot of these guys. I don’t see Rivera as a “sit on his hands” guy. Something is stopping us from getting these guys. My guess? Combination of the above.

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Facilities are a huge deal and it’s an embarrassment that ours aren’t better. I wonder if new facilities will be part of the new stadium deal. 

Truth...even though some posters don't want to buy into this

It is also some of us are a little worried about Terry being extended

My opinion is the are either drafting Lloyd in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd or a WR in the 1st (unless Hamilton is available at 11) and Muma or Harris in the 2nd

• Like 1

Just now, DWinzit said:

Truth...even though some posters don't want to buy into this

It is also some of us are a little worried about Terry being extended

My opinion is the are either drafting Lloyd in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd or a WR in the 1st (unless Hamilton is available at 11) and Muma or Harris in the 2nd

I'm thinking the later, DW.  They take a WR then LB.  

48 minutes ago, method man said:

I would say that you would want to have Davis as a coverage linebacker given his speed and hip flexibility. He is not a guy who is going to stack and shed in the run game. The hope, honestly, is that you can draft Muma, Andersen or someone of that caliber in the 2nd and hope that he unseats Scho as the starter at ILB fairly quickly

So as of now this is how I’d list the starting D

ILB Holcomb

ILB Davis

DE Young

DE Sweat

DT Payne

DT Allen

CB Jackson III

CB Fuller

FS McCain

SS/Down Safety Curl

Hybrid/Flex Backer/Buffalo *Crickets*

Weak points: FS, ILB, Hybrid/Flex, maybe CB

O

QB Wentz

RB Gibson

WR McLaurin

WR Samuel

WR Humphries

TE Thomas

OT Leno

OT Cosmi

OG Norwall

OG Schweitzer

C Roullier

Weak points: OT isn’t terribly strong but not a weakness. WR2, Workhorse RB.

Possible fixes to both:

-Bobby Wagner and Landon Collins

-Kyle Hamilton (same lineup as above but slot him in at FS OR the Flex/Buffalo spot OR both

-Drake London, move Samuel to slot

-Any RB built for a beating 

-Lloyd improves ILB and you might get away with slotting him in the flex as long as you vary his assignments enough between rush/coverage and flow

This is MY opinion. Emphasis on my. It’s not THE opinion. Feel free to dissect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

-Kyle Hamilton (same lineup as above but slot him in at FS OR the Flex/Buffalo spot OR both

One of my favorite players in the draft, KDawg.  Going to give him some love from thedraftnetwork.com Crabb's review

Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network

Ideal role: Defensive weapon

Scheme tendencies: Creative system that moves players and manufactures personnel advantages in critical down and distance situations

Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton might just be the best NFL draft prospect I’ve personally studied since entering into the draft space in 2014. This is a unicorn-caliber player who is physically capable of executing a slew of roles and responsibilities and the Notre Dame program did a terrific job accentuating his versatility and allowing him to shine on all three levels of their defense. Hamilton’s football IQ and instincts are simply on another level, too. He sees the game differently and that allows him to play the game with a rare patience before calling upon elite physical skills to transition and drive to the football.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I am in agreement. I was not a couple weeks ago but the need weapons but I hate taking a WR at 11.

I think it depends on how the early stages of the draft plays out. WR is deep in this draft and it's possible we could be in a position to drop and still land a WR or LB that would immediately impact the team.

It's obvious they plan to address WR in the draft, which does make sense considering we need to get ready to sign Terry to a big money deal and already have Samuels on a deal. 

LB is a point of contention at the moment for me. It's the one area that needs a significant upgrade to propel this defense.

HTTR!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Just wondering - Outside of Lloyd and Hamilton, who that you have looked at do you think are best suited for the Hybrid/Flex via draft?

I have always respected your take especially with LB's. Last year Cox was one of my favorite players for months and you pointed something out to me. Then when I watched more tape it was obvious and I struck him from my wish list

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am in agreement. I was not a couple weeks ago but the need weapons but I hate taking a WR at 11.

You and me both.  We have weapons but with Wentz you need ones that can go deep to utilize his cannon of an arm.  Hopefully, Brown can do that as TH, I love the guy but no arm strength, but Wentz can get him the ball on deep plays which best utilize his talent.  I think #11 is a toss up between Wilson or Olave from Ohio State.  One will be selected before we pick probably and the other drafted by us.  I have an football playing crush on Muma.  Think the guy is special and he might be gone before we even have the chance to consider selecting him.  Again, I'd like for us to trade down to acquire more picks but we need quality players.  RR I haven't figured out other than he's frugal in FA.  LOL  Drafting is still a mystery but he does like to trade down in the later part of the draft so don't be surprised if he trades our 4th rounder to a team and picks up an additional pick or picks.  

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Just wondering - Outside of Lloyd and Hamilton, who that you have looked at do you think are best suited for the Hybrid/Flex via draft?

I have always respected your take especially with LB's. Last year Cox was one of my favorite players for months and you pointed something out to me. Then when I watched more tape it was obvious and I struck him from my wish list

I'd like to chime in if I may @KDawg don't you think that Trent McDuffie could fit the bill of Hybrid/Flex.  He reminds me of HB for some reason.  Maybe it's me.  😆

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I know this was meant for KDawg,  but wanted to drop my thought on the hybrid/flex LB. I wouldn't count out a return of Collins.  He played well in the position. 

The longer he remains unsigned, the more the possibility he may have a change of heart and return to the team. I believe he could use a dose of humility (and quite possibly a removal of his head from his rectal area) as his safety days are clearly behind him.

Again, I could be wrong but I haven't read/heard any interest in him from teams around the league.  Could be he realizes the position might be his only option if he wants to continue to play. 

HTTR!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

I know this was meant for KDawg,  but wanted to drop my thought on the hybrid/flex LB. I wouldn't count out a return of Collins.  He played well in the position. 

The longer he remains unsigned, the more the possibility he may have a change of heart and return to the team. I believe he could use a dose of humility (and quite possibly a removal of his head from his rectal area) as his safety days are clearly behind him.

Again, I could be wrong but I haven't read/heard any interest in him from teams around the league.  Could be he realizes the position might be his only option if he wants to continue to play. 

HTTR!

I have written off Collins to be honest. He didn't want to play the position to begin with even though that's where he is best suited. He would need to come back with a smaller contract and knowing that's the position he must play...I feel like he would not be that happy even though he'd be under a decent contract

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

HTTR!

I think both Collins and RR are moving in different directions at this point.  I think it's highly doubtful he returns.  JMO. 

It’s not a big deal but it’s not quite accurate to say that we have two inside backers and a Buffalo nickel. It’s still a 4-3 Scheme. Just a different type of player than what is typically thought of as an OLB is playing the weakside LB spot. What we have is a Mike, a Sam, and a Buffalo Nickel.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

So as of now this is how I’d list the starting D

ILB Holcomb

ILB Davis

DE Young

DE Sweat

DT Payne

DT Allen

CB Jackson III

CB Fuller

FS McCain

SS/Down Safety Curl

O

QB Wentz

RB Gibson

WR McLaurin

WR Samuel

WR Humphries

TE Thomas

OT Leno

OT Cosmi

OG Norwall

OG Schweitzer

C Roullier

Weak points: OT isn’t terribly strong but not a weakness. WR2, Workhorse RB.

Possible fixes to both:

-Bobby Wagner and Landon Collins

-Drake London, move Samuel to slot

-Any RB built for a beating 

-Lloyd improves ILB and you might get away with slotting him in the flex as long as you vary his assignments enough between rush/coverage and flow

This is MY opinion. Emphasis on my. It’s not THE opinion. Feel free to dissect.

I know this coaching staff has used the buffalo nickel a lot the past two seasons but I wonder if the reason why is because our linebackers have been dreadful. I can still see them wanting someone to fill the position to have those packages still available but i wonder whether it becomes less important if they can find a legit Mike who can then allow Holcomb and Davis to play outside

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

Even then, all KC has to do is tender him an offer by May 2 and he'll still count towards the compensatory formula. It's like what New England did to LeGarrette Blount years back. 

4 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Mock drafts have us getting the safety from ND and I would be happy with that. Far as Wagner, He visited the Rams and I heard nothing. Would be happy with Wentz, Wagner and resign of Mck and a good draft of safety and wr.

While technically possible, it also seems fairly unlikely to actually occur. If Hamilton is off the board (likely) and if the team isn't enamored with any of the CB options (probable), then WR and LB seem the most likely positions to take at #11. Except neither likely offers great value there unless the team LOVES one specific guy and just has to have them. I suspect the plan has generally been to trade down, if possible. You need a team wanting to move up, though maybe a team looking for a specific QB or a specific WR makes a move. At this point, I'd be surprised if it was not a trade down.

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It’s not a big deal but it’s not quite accurate to say that we have two inside backers and a Buffalo nickel. It’s still a 4-3 Scheme. Just a different type of player than what is typically thought of as an OLB is playing the weakside LB spot. What we have is a Mike, a Sam, and a Buffalo Nickel.

Its accurate. Mike, Sam are just position designations. If you want to consider the Will to be a LB that’s fine. But it’s a different personnel type. So what you’re saying is accurate. But so is what I’m saying. It’s a 4-2 in personnel even if you want to call it a 4-3 by position names. It’s a very semantical argument.

1 hour ago, method man said:

I know this coaching staff has used the buffalo nickel a lot the past two seasons but I wonder if the reason why is because our linebackers have been dreadful. I can still see them wanting someone to fill the position to have those packages still available but i wonder whether it becomes less important if they can find a legit Mike who can then allow Holcomb and Davis to play outside

Do you want Davis or Holcomb on a slot?

Edited by KDawg

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Its accurate. Mike, Sam are just position designations. If you want to consider the Will to be a LB that’s fine. But it’s a different personnel type. So what you’re saying is accurate. But so is what I’m saying. It’s a 4-2 in personnel even if you want to call it a 4-3 by position names. It’s a very semantical argument.

Do you want Davis or Holcomb on a slot?

I'd want a real slot corner in the slot when the situation calls for it

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, method man said:

I'd want a real slot corner in the slot when the situation calls for it

Okay. Coverage wise that’s a good answer. 

Do you think Sweat/Young will do well enough setting the edge so that the slot corner can be purely pass support? Full disclosure… I’m not sold either way. So I’m unsure.

And how do you account for offenses that are willing to throw it in a vast majority of situations with a corner/LB substation in passing situations?

The above is why you see us in the 4-2 more often than a true 4-3.

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Haven’t dove deep to be honest. I like the kid from Washington, though. 

Not a ton of options there that I’ve seen. But there could be more. I have spent the least time on the draft this year than any other year by a lot. 

Best answer for us would be Collins, Hamilton, Matthiew. I think Mike Hamilton would be phenomenal but he’s not available. The kid from Washington is intriguing.

• Thanks 1