Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

Had a real bad case of insomnia, along with free floating anxiety, last night. So I finally gave in and took a couple of xanax around 4am to relax and get some sleep.

I woke up refreshed and had an epiphany re. the media and there general disapproval of our trade for Wentz:

I am now actually pleased that they are counting us out as a contender because of this move.

In the past every time, going back as far as the "Deion to DC" series of so called off season "major upgrades" , that the media has procaimed excitement for our team we've gotten big heads and ultimately failed to reach our potential.

Hell, just last year, the talking heads were overpraising our d-line and predicting that we would terrorize offensive lines and opposing quarterbacks. We all watched as those dreams collapsed as spectacularly as a neutron star.

Perhaps the best thing for us is to be a despised, underrated, forgotten team. Unworthy of consideration and predicted to achieve nothing of consequence next year.

An us against the world, "no one believes in us other than the players in our lockerroom", mentality can be a very powerful galvanizing force.

We should embrace it.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I would like to have kept Tim Settle.  He is young and he could spell the starters and keep heat on the opposing quarterback.  Also you keep him in case of injuries.

Maybe they think they can pick up a cheaper Tim Settle off the scrap heap before the season begins.  

Wise and Bada can both be 30% back ups. And WJS or JBK can also slide inside. Settle should have a shot to start.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

Realistically, the main goal should be to have at least a mediocre level veteran starter at every position heading in to the draft. Looking at the roster, what positions still need a tier 2 ( or 3) level veteran so that the team can go closer to BPA in the draft?

I’d say you probably want to also want to have some semblance of depth at each position as well.  The exceptions being kicker, punter, and LS - if you have a decent/solid starter at those positions.  For example, we have Forrest behind Curl, even though we don’t know what level of player Forrest is.  

Just to reiterate to anyone reading this, we’re just talking about setting up for the draft…

So I’d say:

ILB - we have Mayo for depth, and while Holcomb can play the position, the staff obviously doesn’t want him there.

Slot corner - we have Hayden.  Funny enough, but I think the staff sees Fuller the same as Holcomb - he can play inside, but they want him outside.

DT - we have Wise as depth, but he seems more of a backup for Allen, not Payne.

Tackle - they need a viable swing tackle.

You could make an argument for slot receiver, but I think Milne/Samuel give you the two you need for now.

Certainly possible that the staff decides they can address those after seeing what the draft brings of course - there will still be some decent talent available and more players will be released post-draft.  We’ll see.

@Voice_of_ReasonMaybe it would help to think of Leno/Lucas alphabetically?  The first one (Leno) is the starter, the 2nd (Lucas) is the depth.  :)

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Couple of o-line thoughts:

1. The longer Cornelius Lucas goes without signing elsewhere the more likely he comes back to us on a fair 1 to 3 year backup level deal with significant incentives for every game started.

2. Similarly, though this is more of a longshot, if Eric Flowers can't find the money he's seeking from another team he just might elect to come back and play on a reasonable deal to reunite with Matsos, his favorite o-line coach.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

If the 49ers truly had an offer of two second round picks in hand for Garappalo they really botched it by getting greedy. They should have taken it right then as I'm sure that offer is gone now. 

Zero chance that was real.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Perhaps the best thing for us is to be a despised, underrated, forgotten team. Unworthy of consideration and predicted to achieve nothing of consequence next year.

An us against the world, "no one believes in us other than the players in our lockerroom", mentality can be a very powerful galvanizing force.

We should embrace it.

We've been living the "us against the world, nobody believes in us" life for the past 15 years with the exception of 2012. The underdog life is overrated. For once, I'd like to the overdog.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

What would it take to get Luke Kuechly out of retirement??? Checks all the boxes, ex Panther, drafted by Rivera, true MLB…

Still only 30 years old. Apparently we tried to bring Luck out of retirement, so work on Kuechly…

my two cents

Assume we'd have to trade for him since CAR still probably has contract rights. But in cases like these, the trade value (Gronk example) isn't too high, since they're only coming back for one place/person.

30 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

We've been living the "us against the world, nobody believes in us" life for the past 15 years with the exception of 2012. The underdog life is overrated. For once, I'd like to the overdog.

Absolutely agree that being the overdog is the ultimate goal but you have to fight ti get there. You earn it with grunt work over time. It's not just a right ordained on you from on high (ie the talking heads media).

I think your statement thatcwe've had 15 years of "us against the world" flies in the face of reality.

Have you really forgotten all the accolades and predictions for team success we received around this time last year?

Greeny on Get Up, for one, predicted that we would at least make the conference title game last year. And that's just one example off the top of my head of many yhat were out there.

The team completely bought into all of this as well. Remember Sweat and worst of all Chase Young-- a team leader-- predicting that they would be contenders for the NFL record for combined sacks by an NFL duo. Then missing all, (in Chase's case) and a good portion, (in Sweat's case) of the voluntary OTAs.

You earn it with respect for the game, your fellow players, and by doing the difficult unselfish things, day after day. You earn it by creating and practicing the habits of a winner at every single oppportunity.

The WFT, particularly the younger dmplayers (excluding McLaurin) approached the off season and played the year as if they had already arrived and the crowning ceremony was just a matter of time.

I hate to say it but the defense, especially the line, actually played better when some of the big time hero ball defenders were off the field and replaced by lesser talented, scheme playing, minimum salary, lunchbucket type free agents and desperate last chance vets.

Overall last year we hardly ever displayed the mindset and attitude of a squad that considered itself an us against the world underdog.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

What would it take to get Luke Kuechly out of retirement??? Checks all the boxes, ex Panther, drafted by Rivera, true MLB…

Still only 30 years old. Apparently we tried to bring Luck out of retirement, so work on Kuechly…

my two cents

Hes retired for sure. He was around the team last year and might want to coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

my two cents

Man that is the dream scenario, he did visit training camp last year. Never say never Tom did it! 

Strength of schedule forecasting was relatively accurate before free agency hit late 80's/early 90's.  Back then, rosters were relatively stable and teams didn't change all that much overnight, though it occasionally happened as a freak thing or they found that franchise QB (or, back then, RB).  It also really helped build team and area identity.  My mother became a diehard Skins fan in the mid-70's, even though she never followed pro football, because while making dinner she would watch the channel 9 news (Peterson, Robinson, Hayward, Bunyan, Brenner, et al., what a lineup) and they'd always have a Skins segment.  After awhile, she recognized the names of the players as much as she did the characters in her soap operas.  (Joe Theismann was Luke, lol)  So she started watching.  Then she became one of those wives who knows more about the team than does her husband.  (But he benefitted from her great cooking.)  She hasn't watched the Skins since Gibbs 2 ended, in part due to Snyder ("that little ..." rhymes with snit) and because the players come and go so much.  She simply no longer cares about the team.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes retired for sure. He was around the team last year and might want to coach.

Refresh my memory, did Kuechly retire beacuse he was mentally burned out or was it because he had injuries that he feared would impact his play, future health, and love of the game.

If he was just burned out he might decide to return as a player but if there's any doubt about his future health he should only consider coaching imho.

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Refresh my memory, did Kuechly retire beacuse he was mentally burned out or was it because he had injuries that he feared would impact his play, future health, and love of the game.

If he was just burned out he might decide to return as a player but if there's any doubt about his future health he should only consider coaching imho.

Pretty sure it was fear on concussions or permanent injury to his head or spine or something like that. Dude loved football. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure it was fear on concussions or permanent injury to his head or spine or something like that. Dude loved football. 

Oh damn.

Head injuries are the modern day death knell for a football career.

A shame, it was always a pleasurd to watch him play.

I know he's a scout for the Panthers but he's too passionate for that. He's a natural leader of men on the field of battle; the football equivalent of a seasoned combat non-commisioned officer. The kind of difference maker whose inspiration helps to win battles. A rare thing indeed.

He needs to coach.

I would offer him a job today as (at minimum) assistant lb coach.

On 3/20/2022 at 2:32 PM, VaK9Trainer said:

Just wondering where things stand with Leonard Fournette. Has he signed with anyone?  I thought he'd be a good fit here as the Bell Cow RB. 

Fournette got a 3 year 21m deal with 11m guaranteed and up to 24m with incentives with the Bucs.

6 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Watson, depending on if he gets suspended and length of suspension, coming off over a year away from the game and having to learn a new offense may not show anything at all this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the browns don't get much out of him until next year.

True, but Watson and Atlanta have the advantage of youth.

At only 26 he potentially has more than a decade of top tier play ahead of him.

"Time, more valuable a commodity than a chest filled with Oppenheimer blue diamonds." Arcturus Rann

• Like 1
  • Haha 2