Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Seahawks

KDawg

35 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Same. If it takes you more than a minute to review, it’s by definition not clear and obvious evidence. 

And that was after that really questionable holding call on Scherff on the long Gibson run that also could have iced that game. They called it because he “took the player down” but it was mostly the defender’s momentum that did that. Scherff had already sealed that lane and the defender had no angle on Gibson, making it irrelevant. 

And the pass interference on the last Seattle drive. Definitely some contact but that is often not called. Maybe a 5yd holding penalty but they have them 30. Refs kept Seattle in that game a long time after they were dead. 

YES!  How can it be clear and obvious if it's obviously not clear?

And that one catch on the 3rd down to Metcalf.  No review on the ONE FOOT IN BOUNDS?  C-mon, man.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think we realized how selfishly Young and Sweat were playing.  We knew, but didn't know how bad it was.

No team can afford that.  A serious discussion should happen in the off-season about splitting them up.

Curious about Shaka Toney.  The team clearly doesn't think he can handle run contain.  He seems to only come onto the field in pass only circumstances.  Bucs and Seahawks at the end of the game to help defend a hurry up offense.  If we can use him otherwise...

With Holcomb, Davis, and Collins playing miraculously better and the looking like they're capable of improving more.  Maybe LB isn't such a need in the draft.

We need some chunk plays on offense.  Offense is working well, but against some teams you need to get lucky and have an explosive play break one.  Seahawks offense stunk but they almost tied it from like 2-3 big plays.

Don't forget that Sweat is actually coming back this year.  I hope this humbled the **** out of him.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think we realized how selfishly Young and Sweat were playing.  We knew, but didn't know how bad it was.

No team can afford that.  A serious discussion should happen in the off-season about splitting them up.

Curious about Shaka Toney.  The team clearly doesn't think he can handle run contain.  He seems to only come onto the field in pass only circumstances.  Bucs and Seahawks at the end of the game to help defend a hurry up offense.  If we can use him otherwise...

With Holcomb, Davis, and Collins playing miraculously better and the looking like they're capable of improving more.  Maybe LB isn't such a need in the draft.

We need some chunk plays on offense.  Offense is working well, but against some teams you need to get lucky and have an explosive play break one.  Seahawks offense stunk but they almost tied it from like 2-3 big plays.

Being from Pennsylvania I follow Penn State and he had a pretty decent career there. Issue was his run defense even in college so that makes a lot of sense. Could have went 2nd or 3rd round if the skills were there but he's average.

This was a great result and im happy that we are on 3 game win streak but it has similar vibes to the win streak last year and may mislead us on how good they really are. Tampa Bay was a great win but Carolina (even with their defense ranking which can be misleading) is struggling as well as Seattle. Im not buying that the defense is that good all of a sudden unless they hold their own against the cowboys. I mean hell they gave up multiple big plays (we all knew seattle would score on their last drive) and are having miscommunication this last into the season, thats on the coaches. There were also multiple dropped picks, Wilson was probably thinking to himself how the hell they are in even in this game and likely not even thinking of Washington as an option if he leaves lol. 

The offense really let us down many times but to be fair it should have been 24-9, that overturned call was BS. Would like to see an aggressive mindset on those 3rd and 1's and really step on teams when we get the chance but this team can never seem to blow anyone out ever. Unfortunately that's just what average to below average teams do, they make a lot of mistakes. 

Seattle is bad, I think that is apparent.  Regardless of that, what I saw was the WFT starting to gel.  Gibson found a pace that was good for him, I saw more patience from him, but acceleration as well when the avenue is there.  I thought the o-line gave Heinicke ample time to find the open man, and when protection did break down Taylor was able to scramble or evade the tackle with some amazing body jukes.  Overall it just seemed like guys were more comfortable in their roles.  Defensively it seemed like guys were hustling harder, like it meant more to them.  I wonder how much the absence of Young and Sweat has to do with that.

In the end none of this will matter this season, as the odds for winning the NFC are astronomical.  Still nice to see the team have some success, and gives me hope that there are some pieces there to build upon.  I still don't think Heinicke is the man who will lead us back to the Super Bowl, and am worried the FO will become disillusioned. 

1 minute ago, abdcskins said:

Seattle is bad, I think that is apparent.  Regardless of that, what I saw was the WFT starting to gel.  Gibson found a pace that was good for him, I saw more patience from him, but acceleration as well when the avenue is there.  I thought the o-line gave Heinicke ample time to find the open man, and when protection did break down Taylor was able to scramble or evade the tackle with some amazing body jukes.  Overall it just seemed like guys were more comfortable in their roles.  Defensively it seemed like guys were hustling harder, like it meant more to them.  I wonder how much the absence of Young and Sweat has to do with that.

In the end none of this will matter this season, as the odds for winning the NFC are astronomical.  Still nice to see the team have some success, and gives me hope that there are some pieces there to build upon.  I still don't think Heinicke is the man who will lead us back to the Super Bowl, and am worried the FO will become disillusioned. 

The nice thing with Taylor is he knows Scott's system like the back of his hand. Will he be the next Drew Brees'? Hell no. But he is very smart, and when gets in a rhythm he's on point. Will definitely help usher in a young guy from college.

Crazy game.  Three growth things, all which which have been alluded to elsewhere. 

First, love Antonio, but DUDE you HAVE to not run out of bounds.  You just CANT.  Watch the end of the Alabama Auburn game if you need that lesson.

Second, please, love of god.. find something else to call on third and 1, just sometimes.

Third, man.. I know the guys job is to block for someone behind him on the onside kick.. but if it comes at you in a way that requires a yoga pose to avoid it... just catch the ball next time.

And last, this one for the refs.  Yeah... if its  a 5 minute review its not clear and convincing.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Seattle is bad

Their offense is bad. Their defense is still excellent. Especially against the run. They haven't been blown out by anyone. Their worst game was probably against the Packers and they lost 17-0. They have a great defense, led by a future HoFer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Their offense is bad. Their defense is still excellent. Especially against the run. They haven't been blown out by anyone. Their worst game was probably against the Packers and they lost 17-0. They have a great defense, led by a future HoFer.

Seattle is 5th in points, 31st in yards. 22nd as for football outsiders DVOA.  Sort of an odd combination of stats.  

On a good note, we are now 15th in yards and 23rd in points.  Progress.  but 31st in DVOA. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Shaka Toney played fantastic in his limited opportunities. As did the other DEs such as Wise and Smith-Williams. We aren't missing a beat from our DEs and I am both extremely excited and extremely worried that our two high end first rounders aren't making a larger impact than the motley crew of ends we have. I would shop Young and Sweat this offseason and keep them unless we received a crazy offer. But if we do receive a crazy offer I wouldn't rule it out completely. But they are both talented and IF they pulled it together they both make us much better.

Agreed, although I think you only trade one, which sends the message "you're expendable so get with the f-ing program."  Might be the only way to light a fire under their asses, not that I'm bitter about it or anything.

14 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

This team is playing sound defense and they are one of the hottest teams in the league right now.  Need to clean up the short yardage issues on 3rd down and need to find a kicker to spell Slye for the next few weeks.

It's a wonderful feeling. Taylor almost sent Thomas back to the IR again locking onto him and leaving him out to dry that resulted in a devastating hit though. He needs to clean that up ASAP but with Thomas being back and potentially Curtis and improved play on D, we can certainly make some noise. Things are coming together at the opportune time and it's damn exciting. Happy for our fanbase. Also, DeAndre Carter is very underrated.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder what happened to that kook.

What do you think of Brisker?

So I'll admit that one of my weaknesses evaluating talent is pedigree, I almost always tend to err on thinking less of players from smaller schools and defaulting to thinking players from major conferences are better simply because they were recruited higher, played better competition, etc.  I'm not that guy who can talk myself into drafting Trey Lance, for example.

I say this because Brisker was a Juco transfer.  Penn State has a Juco school (Lackawanna) that is highly ranked (in the Juco rankings) and has become a bit of a pipeline to Penn State.  None of them have ever done a thing other than provide depth, so I didn't think anything of Brisker and was really tentative when he won a starting job.  And he was serviceable but not great last year.  He clearly took a leap forward this season, but I still worry it is a one year thing and wonder why he wasn't highly recruited.  That being said, he's not afraid and plays hard, tackles well, has a nose for the ball.  I wouldn't take him in the first but if he's there in the middle rounds, sure.  

The kid I want from PSU's back seven is Joey Porter Jr., yes, the son of that Joey Porter of Pittsburgh Steeler fame.  That kid is a monster CB for a redshirt freshman.

4 hours ago, skins4ever28 said:

Why does ESPN keep saying we snapped an 8 game MNF losing streak? We beat the Steelers last year on MNF 12/7/20

Maybe is was a home MNF streak?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Some people absolutely did.  

I think some of us wanted not to believe the truth.  But it is what it is.

I knew that they were in trouble the minute Sweat opened his damn fool mouth and said they wanted to break the sack record.  As soon as he said that, I had flashbacks to 2000 when Bruce Smith was trying to break the overall sack record, and just ran by everybody all the time.  

I hope Ron and Jack get into their ears and say, "look, you've GOT to play the way you're supposed to. Look what these guys who don't have anywhere near as much talent can do."

Also, I actually fault Ron a bit for not benching them.  He benched Gibby when he fumbled in the last game.  Gregg Williams benched Lavar because Lavar couldn't be bothered to play in the scheme.  

Assuming most of these guys are back next year, I think if Chase/Montez don't play the scheme, play selfishly, you sit them down.  It's a hard lesson, but it might be good for them in the long run.

Taking the point further, I think Ron spent too much of the early part of the year trying to be "Mr. Nice-Guy Player's Coach."  They accommodated Collins, Young and Sweat. And maybe others.  I think what they might have needed was a good swift kick in the ass instead of being placated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Their offense being bad is, I think, directly related to Russ's middle finger.  And I think somewhat of a distrust of the scheme.  When you have the WRs they do with Russ, they should not be this bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Their offense being bad is, I think, directly related to Russ's middle finger.  And I think somewhat of a distrust of the scheme.  When you have the WRs they do with Russ, they should not be this bad. 

I agree. Their Oline isn't good, which we took advantage of. They've been in just about every game this year, despite their record.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I said this before, the coaches totally screwed up the chemistry the team had last year in the secondary by Moving Fuller inside, and having St. Juice outside, flipping Darby for WJIII, re-inserting Collins at safety, essentially benching Curl.  

They've since gone back to more what was working last year: Fuller outside with WJIII, Curl in the middle making plays.  McCain playing FS, which last year was a revolving door of guys.  

And they are playing better with guys in mostly the similar alignment as last year.

They need to keep this group together and not fuss with it this off-season.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree. Their Oline isn't good, which we took advantage of. They've been in just about every game this year, despite their record.

Russ can make a bad OLine look just fine when he's on.  

I think it's 50/50 injury and the fact I think Russ is just done with Carrol and his OCs.  

• Like 3