Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Top 10 Free Agent Busts of the Snyder Era

Spaceman Spiff

Just not sure how anyone's list does not start with Fat ****ing Albert. There is absolutely no argument to be made that anyone that has ever been signed as a FA in Washington history or by any other team in the NFL is a bigger POS bust than ****ing Fat Albert. The rest of the list, OK people have thier favorites. But to list anyone else but albert #1 I just do not get it. Also, anyone signed this year is way too early but that's just me. 

Ok, with that out of the way: 

1. Fat Albert

2. Jeff George

3. Adam Artuletta

4. Tanard Jackson

5. Bruce Smith

6. Mark Carrier

7. Adrian Murell (after having 3 1000 yd season elsewhere signed here and gained all of 50 yds in one season then was gone)

8. Rueben Foster

9. Jason Taylor

10. Mark Brunell - People will really disagree here likely. But that's OK. I believe that was one of Joe Gibbs rounds 2s biggest mistakes. 

After the first 4, there are probably 40 candidates that you can make a good argument deserve to be in the top 10. Kind of like fishing in a barrel. 

image.png.a7fc9f6771b82774e80845b33f104415.png

4 hours ago, -JB- said:

Albert Haynesworth
Jeff George

Adam Archuleta

Jeremiah Trotter

Antwaan Randle El

Deion Sanders

Laveranues Coles

Bruce Smith

Dana Stubblefield

Mike Barrow

Coles can't be on the list because he got us Santana. That in itself make it worth having him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Didnt we give up a ridiculously high draft pick for TJ Duckett?

Well, I think it was a 4th, but any pick takes Duckett out of the category.

Bruce Smith would've been a decent passing-down guy.  He just couldn't play the run anymore, even in a 4-3.  Deion wasn't that bad here either.

Mark Brunnell will always be remembered fondly for dumping 2 bombs on Dallas in that 4th quarter.

For all the hype and his big salary... Deion Sanders, while not a real bust, still has to be on my list.  All those Spurrier 'Gators ... come to mind for me. Actually, most of the best examples of bad free agent signings have been listed by now. 

There were a lot of other good examples of bad acquisitions by Washington, but those were obtained by trade or straight out drafted by Washington.  

Edited by Wyvern

18 hours ago, goskins10 said:

10. Mark Brunell - People will really disagree here likely. But that's OK. I believe that was one of Joe Gibbs rounds 2s biggest mistakes. 

Brunell was not a FA; Gibbs traded a 3rd rounder for him... the same off-season when Brees and Kurt Warner were free agents.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Brunell was not a FA; Gibbs traded a 3rd rounder for him... the same off-season when Brees and Kurt Warner were free agents.

That's even worse. We gave up a draft pick for him. But thanks for the heads up. I was sure he was FA. 

Speaking of Brees, I went to Purdue and was so hoping we would go after him. Imagine how different our last 15 yrs or so would have been. 

• Like 2

There were a couple more Jet-Skins, RB/KR Chad Morton and PK John Hall.  I think at the time we made Hall the highest paid PK in the league and then he had groin problems and missed a a lot of games after his first year.  Also missed some big kicks including one against the Seahawks in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Chad Morton was a RFA of the Jets who Snyderetto signed to a 5-year offer sheet which the Jets matched.  However there was a part of the contract the Jets tried to take out, Morton filed a grievance with the league and an arbitrator awarded him to us for a 5th rd pick.  Suck it Jets!  Well actually he sucked for us and then got hurt and was gone after 2 years.  

24 minutes ago, drowland said:

There were a couple more Jet-Skins, RB/KR Chad Morton and PK John Hall.  I think at the time we made Hall the highest paid PK in the league and then he had groin problems and missed a a lot of games after his first year.  Also missed some big kicks including one against the Seahawks in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Chad Morton was a RFA of the Jets who Snyderetto signed to a 5-year offer sheet which the Jets matched.  However there was a part of the contract the Jets tried to take out, Morton filed a grievance with the league and an arbitrator awarded him to us for a 5th rd pick.  Suck it Jets!  Well actually he sucked for us and then got hurt and was gone after 2 years.  

John Hall is the best kicker this team has had in the Snyder era. He was linebacker sized too and was a willing tackler in kickoff coverage. Too bad he got the lower body issues.

He, Randy Thomas and Coles were all ultimately solid gets

18 hours ago, HoggLife said:

Coles can't be on the list because he got us Santana. That in itself make it worth having him. 

He was a overall a good receiver while he was here too. He had a 1200 yard season in 2003 and then was hamstrung by Brunell’s suckiness in year 2 where they used him as a possession receiver

Edited by method man

19 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Wow.  Didn’t know that.  In hindsight this could be a prime example of cognitive biases at work.

Brees?  Too small.  Warner?  an UDFA from a lower tier football school who might have just had a few lucky years.