Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

SIP, I was reading that Haener's arm was "Heinicke-like" ... Essentially with not enough velocity on the medium and long throws, to pass muster vs. NFL-level defenses.

What are your impressions/thoughts?

BTW, many thanks for all your work, bringing this information to us.  I really can't thank you enough!

24 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

SIP, I was reading that Haener's arm was "Heinicke-like" ... Essentially with not enough velocity on the medium and long throws, to pass muster vs. NFL-level defenses.

BTW, many thanks for all your work, bringing this information to us.  I really can't thank you enough!

I mean that’s a bit hyperbolized. He has a passable NFL arm. He doesn’t have a bazooka, but he can get some zip and get it on in there. He’s a guy who is a spot starter type/career backup but has some tools. I think he’s kind of what [REDACTED] would be if he had a slightly better arm and actually used his legs.

Mid round guys he’s among the guys I like most. Hooker is by far my #1 in that category. If Hooker gets beyond the second he is a steal. 

But Haener is a good prospect type that can run a similar system to Howell.

• Like 1

Yeah I think Haener has a stronger arm than He Who Must Not Be Named, but it would still probably be a bit below average in the NFL. He'd still be able to run a full playbook though. I do like him as a potential mid round guy.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Wyvern said:

I compared his arm strength to Dalton.  Better than Heinicke but its his weak point along with his size.

Plays with even better wiggle-dexterity to escape pressure in the pocket than Heinicke. 

The big difference is Heinicke's accuracy is wild, one of the most inaccurate QBs in the league.  Haener's accuracy is really good let alone weak like it is for Heinicke.

Haener's size, wiggle in the pocket and moxie is what he has in common with Heinicke.  But a stronger arm albiet he doesn't have a strong arm and much more accurate.

The wild card as it is for most QBs transition to the NFL is can he read an NFL defense and set protections.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Do we keep Fromm as one of the backups  or let him walk? Any chance he can be coached up?

You don’t dump a practice squad guy for no reason. If he’s truly horrendous, yeah, replace him. But if he’s okay and does his job no reason to disrupt continuity. 

• Like 3

Ranking 13 QB-needy NFL teams: Most attractive for Rodgers, Carr

9. Washington Commanders

Pros: Defense, emerging young playmakers
Cons: Offensive line, ownership/coaching uncertainty

If NFL teams could get punch cards for being frequent shoppers, the Commanders would qualify for a free quarterback by now. Since Kirk Cousins left as a free agent after the 2017 season, Washington has made a major quarterback addition four times in five years.

Those moves haven't worked out. After trading for Alex Smith in 2018, Smith suffered a career-threatening leg injury. The Commanders used a first-round pick on Dwayne Haskins the following year, but he struggled before being released in 2020. (He was picked up by the Steelers before tragically dying last year.) Ryan Fitzpatrick suffered a career-ending hip injury in his debut start with the team in 2021, while Carson Wentz struggled to stay healthy (and play well) after joining the team last spring.

It would be a surprise if that streak didn't stretch to five in six offseasons. The Commanders could go all-in to try to add a young quarterback, but since arriving, coach Ron Rivera has typically looked toward veterans. They signed Fitzpatrick, traded for Wentz and reportedly attempted to deal for Russell Wilson before the Seahawks standout was sent to the Broncos. Taylor Heinicke kept the team afloat during a midseason run of success -- and rookie Sam Howell beat the Cowboys in his first career start to close out the campaign -- but Rivera will at least consider adding a veteran to replace Wentz in the months to come.

They'll get to work with a true No. 1 receiver in Terry McLaurin, whose career has consisted of playing with the quarterbacks mentioned above. Rookie first-round pick Jahan Dotson and veteran Curtis Samuel flashed at times this season, although Samuel might be a cap casualty and Dotson missed five games with injuries. Running back Brian Robinson Jr. courageously returned from a gunshot wound to tote the ball 205 times as a rookie. Dotson and Robinson haven't emerged yet as above-average contributors, but they should each be better in 2023.

Whoever ends up at quarterback for the Commanders will play behind a line that ranked 27th in pass block win rate. General manager Martin Mayhew will need to retool the interior, where veteran guards Wes Schweitzer and Trai Turner and center Nick Martin are all free agents. Chase Roullier will return after missing most of the season with a knee injury, but the 29-year-old center has been unable to play in 23 of the previous 34 games. Andrew Norwell should be back, but the Commanders likely will need to add at least two interior linemen to their rotation.

Rivera also will need to shop for an offensive coordinator after the team fired Scott Turner. The Commanders reportedly sought to interview Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy for the same role, but Bieniemy will have better offers if he wants to leave Patrick Mahomes & Co. With no quarterback, they might realistically be more in position to trade for a signal-caller and then grab a coordinator who has experience with that quarterback as opposed to pursuing things the other way around.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35563061/ranking-13-quarterback-needy-nfl-teams-most-attractive-landing-spots-rodgers-carr-garoppolo

44 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Why are they listing Nick Martin on the list of departures? Are we supposed to be concerned about losing a center who can't play center?

They got Nick and Zach confused 🤣

IMO The last thing we need is Rodgers here

Edited by DWinzit

I thought we were a little better than 9th.

I like the idea presented that we can offer the bonus of pairing a vet QB with his OC of choice. Learning a new O can be daunting but if a QB can come to a new team and pick his offensive scheme, one he will likely be very familiar with, that has got to be a major selling point. It also increases the likelihood of coming out the gates fast, which would obviously be of import to this FO.

That would mean we are likely sans OC for a while tho, unless you trade for a new QB.

Then again if we are waiting until after the SB to interview more guys we are playing the waiting game anyway...

Hmmm... silver lining I suppose.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35578252/senior-bowl-buzz-latest-rumors-2023-nfl-draft-offseason-moves-quarterback-trades-top-prospects-free-agency

Who's the top quarterback in Mobile?

McShay: I was really impressed all week with Fresno State's Haener, and multiple evaluators I spoke to said he was clearly the best quarterback at the Senior Bowl. Entering the week, a lot of teams had Haener and BYU's Hall neck and neck, but Haener really stood out. He was in control, and despite being undersized at 6-foot and 208 pounds, he showed no fear. He anticipates and moves well, and his confidence was noticeable.

After the week of practices, Haener is my QB6 and a Day 2 prospect behind Tennessee's Hooker. And frankly, I don't know that there is another Day 2 quarterback in this group.

Fowler: With a weak Senior Bowl quarterback class, teams I've spoken to were intrigued by Houston's Tune, as well. They noted that his decision-making was solid all week. Hall bounced back after a rough first day, and I'm told he is dealing with a high ankle sprain but has toughed it out.

Nice video breakdown of Sam's dallas game. Comes to the same conclusion most of us have in that Sam did enough to given the chance to be QB1 next year but not enough to be ju87st given the job. I know keen grasp of the obvious. But he does a pretty nice job of breaking down each play of his, both good and bad. And he really only had 2 bad plays. But with only 19 attempts it's hard to get a real feel for his capabilities. 

Anyone I enjotyed watching it. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Nice video breakdown of Sam's dallas game. Comes to the same conclusion most of us have in that Sam did enough to given the chance to be QB1 next year but not enough to be ju87st given the job. I know keen grasp of the obvious. But he does a pretty nice job of breaking down each play of his, both good and bad. And he really only had 2 bad plays. But with only 19 attempts it's hard to get a real feel for his capabilities. 

I just watched it....makes me excited for what Howell can become. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'd go to that extreme.  But yeah its not just Jones but really almost every QB looked like Dan Marino against the Vikings and as I've said enough, it brings home how bad our Qbs were last year that the Vikings wretched defense thwarted our passing game.  Onward and upward. 

44 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I was listening to Howell's Carolina coach yesterday on 980.  Granted college coaches tend to tout their guys but I thought he was pretty measured.  He thought that Howell made progress every year including his last college season even though it wasn't considered so by the draftnik types.

He thinks he's smart, works hard, not a vocal leader at all but teammates respect him.  He watched the Dallas game and liked how he looked.

It came out in that discussion that the dude who he talked to the most was Zampese during the draft process and talked to Zampese some during the off season as well after Howell was drafted. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the Raiders might be screwed.  Jets supposedly all in on Rodgers.    Other teams are positioned in the draft or can have Jimmy G among others without giving up picks.  And Carr can reject any trade.

What a tangled web we weave.

A cut Carr will be on the Commandos radar. Not that we can pay the guy... but he'll be on the radar. 

New Orleans?

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the Raiders might be screwed.  Jets supposedly all in on Rodgers.    Other teams are positioned in the draft or can have Jimmy G among others without giving up picks.  And Carr can reject any trade.

If Carr is released

Just now, KDawg said:

What a tangled web we weave.

A cut Carr will be on the Commandos radar. Not that we can pay the guy... but he'll be on the radar. 

New Orleans?

Tampa Bay makes sense too.

• Like 1

Cut a dude b4 he gets to play in a flag football game... That is a new one lol.

I'm in on Carr no matter how it happens.

-A trade lets you avoid a 100 Mil escrow payment and put it off until new ownership arrives.

-As a FA you don't gotta give up nothin, but you gotta have 100Mil available budget.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Should know something b4 Feb 15th in regards to Carr. He aint in the business of doing the Raiders any favors.

Raiders QB Derek Carr not extending contract trigger date

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35579592/raiders-qb-derek-carr-not-extending-contract-trigger-date

Why should he? Dude's getting screwed over because his head coach is garbage. 

• Like 1