Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh we’re in the point of the off-season cycle where we rehash Howell’s draft position. Nice. 

It is quite a normal reaction to have as some will have reservation based on where the QB was selected regardless of where they should have been selected.

I know Howell is better than his draft position (I personally thought we would be the 3rd maybe 4th QB selected) but I am hoping he will be able to show that to the doubters. :)

2 minutes ago, zCommander said:

It is quite a normal reaction to have as some will have reservation based on where the QB was selected regardless of where they should have been selected.

I know Howell is better than his draft position (I personally thought we would be the 3rd maybe 4th QB selected) but I am hoping he will be able to show that to the doubters. :)

It's a normal reaction for people that don't think for themselves, yes.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Wait, Sam Howell was drafted in the 5th round?!?!?!? 

What the hell are we thinking?!?

Are you even allowed to draft a QB in the 5th round?

What were you thinking having a 5th rounder as your profile pic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No. Teams should be really drafting a QB in the 6th round if they want to their own Tom Brady. :P

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

History says its better to wait until the 6th. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

You know what you guys? Mark Brunell was drafted in the 5th round and he turned out pretty good.

Nobody good ever came from the 6th round except Bulger, Hassleback, Rypien and maybe some other guy

Yeah and TH wasn't even draf....nevermind

• Haha 6

Washington Commanders QB Jacoby Brissett

While the Commanders have said all the right things about the future of 2022 fifth-round quarterback Sam Howell (and while Howell showed a lot in his few rookie reps), if this team is going to contend in the NFC East and beyond in 2023, some sort of quality veteran leadership at the position will be needed. And in that regard, the Commanders couldn’t have done much better than what they did when they signed Jacoby Brissett to a one-year, $8 million deal with $7.5 million guaranteed.

As weird as the Commanders WTF quarterback situation was last year with Howell, Carson Wentz, and Taylor Heinicke, it’s nothing compared to what Brissett had to deal with in Cleveland. Not only did he come into a new offensive system after time with the Colts and Dolphins in his previous two seasons, but he also had the specter of Deshaun Watson hanging over his head.

Fortunately for the Browns, Brissett is an accountable leader, which is exactly what was needed. Once he got the hang of the playbook, and before Watson returned from his suspension, Brissett looked very much like a professional quarterback — and at the same time, his teammates couldn’t say enough about what he brought to the locker room.

We don’t know if, or how long, Brissett will be Washington’s starter, but he’s already proven able to rise up in a chaotic environment. When you’re with the Commanders, that might be Job One.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, zCommander said:

In a transition year they can't go after say Lamar - too rich of a contract right now. If we had the new owner(s) in place before the FA then that would have been a different story. If Howell bombs out then the QB class of 24 is looking pretty good too. New owners new FO and brand new shiny franchise QB. 

The coaches saw what Howell can and can not do for a whole year. So it is more than just a one game sample for them. It is only a one game sample to you. I would rather they draft OL, TE, DL and maybe even a kicker. I don't want them to go after a QB in this year's draft unless they see someone who is just sitting there and too good to pass up in the later rounds and the OL has already been addressed. 

No. Howell it is. He was projected to go 1st or 2nd round. We already have a high valued QB who got to sit and learn for a whole year and even played a real game and won. Howell has the edge on a QB drafted this year since he has also developed some chemistry with the WRs and other players as well. 

Howell needs to be given at least 17 games to prove he belongs in the NFL as a starter. 

Huge bet. As I've said multiple times I hope it pans out for us. 

21 hours ago, mistertim said:

But I'm still trying to figure out what your preferred solution was. We don't have a top draft pick, it would be incredibly costly to trade up, no top flight FA or tradeable QB would agree to come here given the current circumstances, and the rest of the QB FA market was pretty dry.

That's why people are saying you're just whining, because you keep complaining about the same stuff but you don't actually given any ideas on how you'd like to see it solved.

I'm just a fan of this team. Been for almost 40 years.

I'm not here not give ideas. I'm here to be entertained. Let the guys who make the big bucks do the actual problem-solving.

21 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Umm, we’d all like a franchise QB.

How exactly do you suggest he go about acquiring one?

I have no idea. I dind't say we get a franchise QB. I just want a good to above-average QB.

With our RBs and WRs we could actually compete. But that's a big if: our OL and QB both need to step up.

51 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

I'm just a fan of this team. Been for almost 40 years.

I'm not here not give ideas. I'm here to be entertained. Let the guys who make the big bucks do the actual problem-solving.

Ok, so that pretty much proves us right...you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Love that Ron and company have pivoted away from the money sucking competent QB. 

Washington now has a competent QB (Brisset) who can beat your favorite “top 15” starter in any game and a young dude (Howell) with unknown potential but has a rocket arm and phone booth quickness like the white slot WR that makes you wonder if you had a shot to make it in the NFL. 

All this for $10mil and flexibility to continue to hunt for a better situation now and next season. Ron and company are operating outside the box and being bold—I like it! 

Ron going all in on a career defining season spending $10mil at the most impossible position in football. I see you, Ron. Hyped for the QB room. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

I have no idea. I dind't say we get a franchise QB. I just want a good to above-average QB.

So does every team that doesn’t have one.  And even those teams with above average QB play wish they had elite.

Unfortunately, they don’t grow on trees and you can’t just buy one at the franchise QB store.  Gotta play the hand you’re dealt.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Love that Ron and company have pivoted away from the money sucking competent QB. 

Washington now has a competent QB (Brisset) who can beat your favorite “top 15” starter in any game and a young dude (Howell) with unknown potential but has a rocket arm and phone booth quickness like the white slot WR that makes you wonder if you had a shot to make it in the NFL. 

All this for $10mil and flexibility to continue to hunt for a better situation now and next season. Ron and company are operating outside the box and being bold—I like it! 

Ron going all in on a career defining season spending $10mil at the most impossible position in football. I see you, Ron. Hyped for the QB room. 

To be fair, we also didn't have many choices. It's not like Rodgers or Lamar were ever going to end up here.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

To be fair, we also didn't have many choices. It's not like Rodgers or Lamar were ever going to end up here.

I disagree and believe Washington would’ve if they decided been in the race for any QB. Washington is young with dynamic talent on both sides of the ball. I agree in previous years Washington hasn’t been a destination spot due to the roster, but this year would’ve been an attractive option. With that said, I’m very clear in understanding you believe players don’t want to come because of Dan and other stuff— not ready for a battle at the moment, maybe as the off season gets more boring lol

Lamar will take the money from ANYWHERE. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I disagree and believe Washington would’ve if they decided been in the race for any QB. Washington is young with dynamic talent on both sides of the ball. I agree in previous years Washington hasn’t been a destination spot due to the roster, but this year would’ve been an attractive option. With that said, I’m very clear in understanding you believe players don’t want to come because of Dan and other stuff— not ready for a battle at the moment, maybe as the off season gets more boring lol

Lamar will take the money from ANYWHERE. 

Yeah no need to rehash that whole debate right now. But as for the bolded part, how do we know this? I guess we can potentially infer it from him tweeting about not being satisfied with Baltimore's offer?

I have to assume he'll have some preferences.

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah no need to rehash that whole debate right now. But as for the bolded part, how do we know this? I guess we can potentially infer it from him tweeting about not being satisfied with Baltimore's offer?

I have to assume he'll have some preferences.

No way to know for certain, but applying pattern analysis of all my years watching sports, he’s at the juncture in his life to maximize money and all else being a distant second. Time to secure wealth. 

As you have mentioned and I agree with, the shelf life of this QB is shorter and comes with more risk, so he must get it where he can get it. Him securing max money is much more important than a teams weight room facility. 

• Like 1