Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, tshile said:

yeah like the dip**** owner made it happen 

The problem with the pick was we got fleeced. For a guy they were going to cut. At a minimum we shouldn’t have paid the 26 million. 

youre going to miss on players. It happens. How often and how is what matters. And we have a history of overlaying for ****ty QB’s regardless who supposedly is making the decisions. 

so connect your own dots there 😂 

We had to do something special for anniversary of the idiotic Boonell trade from 18 years ago. We're going to do this sort of stupidity next offseason too, probably for Carr or Garop or somebody like that. We'll never learn. 

• Haha 1

Just got done listening to the Rivera presser.  I don't understand why he has to publicly say that TH is starting but at some point he needs to consider a change.

Besides that, he was asked what the identity was of the offense and he said power running and play action...

Robinson only gets 12 carries and then this......

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

We had to do something special for anniversary of the idiotic Boonell trade from 18 years ago. We're going to do this sort of stupidity next offseason too, probably for Carr or Garop or somebody like that. We'll never learn. 

Jimmy G is a FA. What’s your solution for next season at QB? 

48 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

TH is just free-falling down various metric lists.

This is some absolute historically bad QB play we have been forced to witness here. I don't think in my tenure as a Wash fan I have been exposed to QB play this consistently bad from anyone who was not a spot starter or emergency play.

60+ ranked QB on PFF?!
2nd worse QB in the red zone in the last several years?!

He is unbelievably, unfathomably and undeniably horrendous. Every game is just an attempt to prevent him from depth charging his own team.

Don't sugar coat it, brother. Give it to us strait.👍

As things look right now, in the 23 draft:

1) Texans need a QB

2) Bears no

3) Seahawks - do they extend Smith?

4) Cardinals no

5) Lions - do they go away from Goff if they make the playoffs?

6) Colts need a QB

7) Falcons - give up on Ridder?

8. Panthers - yes

9) Eagles - no

10) Packers - no

11) Raiders - no, unless they trade Carr

12) Jags - no

13) Texans - likely take one at #1

If you view four guys as first rounders, there’s a decent chance they can trade up for one.  

The FA market will be interesting as the supply will far exceed the demand which I believe will drive the prices lower.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I imagine the brass would rather trade for Carr or something, but please, for the love of all that is good stop the madness w/regards to stopgap QB trades. This has worked when exactly? The 1970's and Brad Johnson (which was a crazy overpay)? Since then it's been Boonell, McNabb, Alex Smith, and Wentz, and just spinning our wheels. One can only hope we actually draft one this year and use the 2nd on the best available OL I suppose? 

The problem though is multifaceted. You either have a high enough draft pick to get one of them on your own. Or theres a deep draft and you have enough of an option that teams dont know your trading up for a QB to not rake you over the coals to get that pick. Every team in front of us knows were trading up for a QB. 

We are completely stuck in purgatory. We either have to collect picks by moving some capital at oversaturated positions (Payne would have been ideal) or try to move back and collect picks. Doing so means youre not trying your hardest to win that singular year. If by some chance theres a new GM in place before the league year starts he can set this team up for a bad 24 and quick turn around while keeping a good portion of the talent and getting rid of some of the fat we have. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jimmy G is a FA. What’s your solution for next season at QB? 

Draft someone you like and hope having a stout defense, good rushing attack, and stud receivers can help you groom him by mid season. 

and upgrade the OL. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Draft someone you like and hope having a stout defense, good rushing attack, and stud receivers can help you groom him by mid season. 

and upgrade the OL. 

Are there five guys in the draft you like that are ready to play day 1?  If not, how much do you give up to move up while also needing to fill other holes.

Im guessing Ron is babying him in the meetings absolving him of wrong doing. We can all see we are watching some of the worst QB league wide in years. How the players not being frustrated yet means they are being twisted away from Taylors fault 

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Are there five guys in the draft you like that are ready to play day 1?  If not, how much do you give up to move up while also needing to fill other holes.

Isn’t it  supposed to be a QB  heavy draft?

“Taylor, look, we need more touchdowns in the redzone”

”nah coach, I think the best approach is to figure out how to win without scoring”

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

and upgrade the OL. 

Tough for me to just say draft someone they like without focusing on the actual targets.  If they are picking lets say around 19, the odds there is someone they like might be low considering the match of QB needy teams picking before them and the specific pool of prospects. 

I'd consider Richardson if he drops that far.

If I am throwing a lottery ticket at this, 4th round range.  But I got no idea if they like-love anybody but i think there is a chance they don't.  It's the downside to not having a top ten pick.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What’s your solution for next season at QB? 

You get Carr I'm over the moon. Even for franchise QB prices, as he is a franchise QB.

Jimmy G... I'd need to know the price. If you can both....

A.) Get him at a discount b/c of the injury and

B.) be confident in his health and ability to be ready despite the injury

he could work

I'm not confident in the ability to get our hands on a high upside rook but if you can, great. I'd only look for some form of Wentz/starter lvl QB competition if I swing and miss on other options first.

I'd still rework Wentz b4 the offseason to lock in a fall back plan, as doing so does not prevent other QB moves

23 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Just got done listening to the Rivera presser.  I don't understand why he has to publicly say that TH is starting but at some point he needs to consider a change.

Besides that, he was asked what the identity was of the offense and he said power running and play action...

Robinson only gets 12 carries and then this......

It's frustrating listening to RR and then reflecting on what we know we all just saw. His explanations rarely add up.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Before the season in theory yes but it hasn't really borne out that way

With this team playing the way it is (and I’ve mentioned several times but again - I think keeping the team playing the same way is important, we need the D to be good, same with WR/RB) you can groom a qb

and I don’t really give a **** if it means next season is around .500 if it means successfully grooming a young qb. 

I can’t tell you who. Everyone’s always enamored by the top guys but quality can be found. We don’t need a future HOFer we need someone who can be top half of the league worthy. 

after 20+ years of throwing rookie QB’s to the wolves and ruining god knows how many careers of those young men, we’re finally in a position to groom someone.

so. 

do that. 

——

(Merged by forum software)

What about Kirk cousins?

is his contract up yet?

Edited by tshile

I personally thought it was a 2 man class with maybe AR elevating before the season. He did some but thats how its played out. Levis for me would be vomit inducing. 

Right now for me its this order for QB. 

1. Lamar in the 1% chance of him reaching the non exclusive tag

2. AR15 and even then I would lean against taking a QB if Ron is here. If Ron isnt here I would still lean against it until we get the full staff in place

3. Howell

Options like Jimmy G and Carr is more of the same BS we have done for most of the last 20 years. An older stop gap because "were close" (Brunell Fitz) or a cast away "decent to good" option thats clearly on their 30 yr old plus slide (Alex Mcnabb. Im also tired of the 2nd-3rd tier of QB prospects we love choosing from like Ramsey Campbell Dwayne.

We need an elite talent at the position. Its damn time for them to plan to get one. Take the big swing. Position yourself to guarantee you get one. They have been failing to prepare for it and not preparing to fail because of it. A QB is a multi year planning process. Do it right for once. Its not a shock that the only time this fan base had real hope of doing damage in the play offs is with Rob. 

13 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Im guessing Ron is babying him in the meetings absolving him of wrong doing. We can all see we are watching some of the worst QB league wide in years. How the players not being frustrated yet means they are being twisted away from Taylors fault 

I think all of them accepted Taylor for his shortcomings long ago.  They have enough positive memories of him and the fuzzy feelings die slower when you really like someone as a person. 

Both Wentz and Howell haven’t been around long enough nor do they have those positive memories guys associate with Taylor.

• Like 1

It would have taken balls, but I think Rivera could have salvaged the season and playoffs last night if he played Wentz. Before or after halftime. That was the moment. It’s too late now, the season just slipped from our grasp, likely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

18 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

You get Carr I'm over the moon. Even for franchise QB prices, as he is a franchise QB.

Carr would be my top guy, too.    Yes he has flaws.  No he's not a top 10 QB but IMO he's in that Kirk Cousins range of QBs which is what we need to be a force with this roster IMO.    But they'd need to rework that contract.

Jimmy G would be good get with this roster depending on the price.

I get those who think "meh" because they see the roster no different than any other under Dan.  I am not of the same thought.  Even last off season, I wasn't high on the idea of Jimmy G.  But with the emergence of Robinson and Dotson and this defense getting really good -- a competent QB could make all the difference IMO. 

As I've said it felt good to hear that point echoed by Cooley. Cooley is rarely wrong and if anything is cynical about this roster typically but he's really high on what it could do with average QB play and O line upgrades.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

With this team playing the way it is (and I’ve mentioned several times but again - I think keeping the team playing the same way is important, we need the D to be good, same with WR/RB) you can groom a qb

and I don’t really give a **** if it means next season is around .500 if it means successfully grooming a young qb. 

I can’t tell you who. Everyone’s always enamored by the top guys but quality can be found. We don’t need a future HOFer we need someone who can be top half of the league worthy. 

after 20+ years of throwing rookie QB’s to the wolves and ruining god knows how many careers of those young men, we’re finally in a position to groom someone.

so. 

do that. 

——

(Merged by forum software)

What about Kirk cousins?

is his contract up yet?

The league isnt built this way any more. QBs no longer groom. Either they play right within the first half of their rookie year or their busts. Mahomes is the only QB since Rodgers to sit their first year. He came out and threw 49 TDs his 2nd season. Theres zero reason to believe he couldnt have done something similar his rookie season. That decision probably cost Andy Reid another SB oppertunity.