Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, MartinC said:

We just have to trust the people paid to make this choice.

As someone who started out as a fan in 1996 at age 6, nope.

I get Dan stuck his fingers in the pie a lot over the years so I can't go full bore on Rivera or Shanahan or others, but uhhh, I have been...conditioned...to not trust people in our front office.

I hope that will change but seeing is believing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It's a concern when it means picking him over a way better prospect in Maye.

At three, with Maye off the board, I'd say **** it and go with an option I had far less confidence in.  Our options would be much more limited, and you've got to have a QB.  Gotta pick somebody.  But why on Earth would I settle for that bet when the kid who looks exactly like almost all of the other best QBs in the league is sitting there at my pick?

I’m not as sure as you that Maye is such a superior pick. I do think Maye is a better prospect - but I don’t think he is ‘way better’. It’s not that clear cut - it almost never is grading and drafting QBs.

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

You/we really don’t have any other option. Well apart from stopping watching/caring. 

What we think plus $5 will buy you a latte.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

If you think the majority of the fanbase prefers Maye, you’re delusional.  

By all means show me why that is the case.

The only evidence I've seen is a poll on here that leans heavily towards maye, certainly not a large enough sample size to be scientific but I'm open to being convinced the opposite is true, where is your evidence?

The only polls I've seen involve nfl front office personnel and coaches.

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You/we really don’t have any other option. Well apart from stopping watching/caring. 

I'm hoping I can psychically influence things.

• Haha 3

Both QBs have pluses and minuses. It will really come down to the visits next week. One QB will blow them away with football intellect, scheming recognition, ability to read progressions quickly, charisma, and demeanor. That’s the guy we pick. These guys are all talented, but you need a face of the franchise, and a guy that can lead a team. 

PS: does anyone else think Maye is a fast talker? Seems like a Seinfeld episode. 

Edited by Kalu44

2 hours ago, BMagic said:

It can work great when the QB is in their Rookie deal. When it comes time to pay them, they end up losing a Tyreek Hill or a Tee Higgins and other valuable pieces. Then, more of the load is on that QB's plate. Mahomes could handle it since he still had Kelce. I'm interested to see how Josh Allen does without Diggs and at least Burrow will still have Chase. 

You think the Mahomes they drafted is the same Mahomes that just won the Super Bowl? 

Of course not. He became a dude that can kill an NFL all by himself. Took a lot of work by him and his organization to get there. That’s the plan here they have said it. 

41 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

At three, with Maye off the board, I'd say **** it and go with an option I had far less confidence in.  Our options would be much more limited, and you've got to have a QB.  Gotta pick somebody.  But why on Earth would I settle for that bet when the kid who looks exactly like almost all of the other best QBs in the league is sitting there at my pick?

Why are we assuming Peters is a good GM?  If anything, ****ing the dog on QB in this class would be proof that he's not a good GM.

We have a track record of his work elsewhere, everywhere he's worked, his teams have been contenders for titles and/or won titles, and the higher he rose in the hierarchy the better draft classes you see w/those organizations, as he reached the highest levels with SF, they were habitually pulling elite talent with picks he's apparently deeply associated with.

There's an abundance of evidence circumstancial may it be, that he's the brains behind the SF reboot, I don't believe for a second Lynch is, and the scuttlebut the past year was he was the sharpest mind in the biz at team building/draft scouting.

But that doesn't mean he or anyone else is good at QB's. In the post your responding to I talk about Purdy as a home run pick, and its true, it's his one QB hit, but lets be straight here, you give them plaudits, or should for picking him but not too many. If the Niners Brass, or the Redskins with Howell, were so damn smart they would not have let the only 2 QB's worth a ---- in the 2022 class last until round 7 and 5 respectively. If they were so high on Purdy, there is no way in hell they let him drop that far. The answer is, both teams dart threw on speculative QB prospects that they liked to take a shot at very late. These were not home run swings on elite prospects, these were speculative, late draft investments of little draft capital on the best QB's they liked late. It was not a bet your job on it pick, it was as chucklehead Casserly used to say, a fun, hunch pick on a ceiling of guys that just might be better than the day 2 guys that most of us realized were meh (the ridder's and pickett's of the world). And both regimes hit big time on the selections, Howell can clearly play in this league, it's how well that's debate, while with Purdy, he 100% can play having guided the Niners to top 4 and top 2 finishes in back to back seasons in year 1 and 2 of his career. 

• Like 1

I've been spitballing good Wrs to fit Maye's skillset and Daniels, mostly on the draft thread, sometimes here.  

It was good to see the routes-stats matched up to what I saw at least as to 4 of the 6 WRs  Makes me believe the matches to Daniels even strongly than I did before. 

Walker and Franklin make the list too and I've mentioned neither in the past in the context of Daniels.  Franklin is hard one for me, explosive but not physical and I worry about that frame.  And Walker is so inconsistent.   But I'll rewatch them now.

But as for Daniels he has some wicked numbers on post-go routes.  These guys somewhat majored in them more than the others and have decent stats on those routes.  

I know sorry for those who are depressed even thinking about Daniels.  To them, i do think again Maye still might be the pick. But Daniels seems to have a shot too so for me its been worth a little time thinking about what would be a good match if so

Screen Shot 2024-04-13 at 1.57.40 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

He became a dude that can kill an NFL all by himself. Took a lot of work by him and his organization to get there. That’s the plan here they have said it. 

That’s the plan everywhere.

But to paraphrase Mike Tyson everyone has a plan until it’s 3rd and long and your left tackle can’t block their DE.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I broadly agree with you on the reasons for Maye over Daniels - that’s why I lean towards him. But I still think if you can feel good about a player at 3 you can feel good about him at 2. 

I wouldn't feel good about him at three.  I'd just feel better about him than any of the alternatives, including not taking any QB.

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

I get Dan stuck his fingers in the pie a lot over the years so I can't go full bore on Rivera or Shanahan or others, but uhhh, I have been...conditioned...to not trust people in our front office.

I get that.  But some on this thread suggest that the average fan, whether its me you or whomever is smarter and that feels a bridge too far for me.  I can even understand those that say we are just as good as Peters.  Now I don't agree with it.  But I get the idea, the draft is a crap shoot so why can't we take our own shot at it, too.  But the idea that the prospect we like is the slam dunk better prospect because we say so -- that if anything feels like we are all being our own mini-Dans.

Heck the vibe I get from years back was Dan was told by his scouts including Kyle Smith that Haskins was a third round prospect.  Dan insisted he knew better with absolute certainty and took Haskins anyway.  So for me if any of us have that level of assurance that we know better than the Commanders scouts (if it goes down that way) feels like we are like Dan.  We aren't scouts.  But we watch enough football to feel confident that we know more than the professionals.  And we trust our gut over the professionals.  That feels very old school Dan to me.

It feels like the thought here by some is yeah they got it wrong on some QBs in the past when they had high assurance, too.  But this time its different This time they are absolutely sure.  That also feels very Dan.

And none of that is to discount some takes here.  Some killer explanations and good football talk across the board.  I got no issue with it.   But to me personally it feels a bit arrogant for any that are that level confident that they are that level correct when we are talking about the hardest postion to judge in sports.   And the best analogy I can think of to that is ironically the stories about how Dan was in that building.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But to chime in the only thing I saw was a twitter poll from Standig on this which I posted here.    Daniels had more votes by a good margin.

The only Ones I can seem to find are Vikings and patriots fans which obviously aren't our fanbase but there's no reason to think our fanbase would have radically different opinions than theirs. 

Screenshot_20240413_140858_Chrome.thumb.jpg.deead041edcf30bc15aa18e7ca83561c.jpgScreenshot_20240413_140017_Chrome.thumb.jpg.99065b76e28c25c195ab6f951017dbfa.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The only Ones I can seem to find are Vikings and patriots fans which obviously aren't our fanbase but there's no reason to think our fanbase would have radically different opinions than theirs. 

Screenshot_20240413_140858_Chrome.thumb.jpg.deead041edcf30bc15aa18e7ca83561c.jpgScreenshot_20240413_140017_Chrome.thumb.jpg.99065b76e28c25c195ab6f951017dbfa.jpg

I posted it on this thread a few days ago.  If you don't want to take my word for it, that's cool, that's up to you.  

@Est.1974 might recall it.  I said in response to it,  we are losing the battle with the fans.  And @Est.1974 responded who are "we"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Cool dog. I declared the redskins at six too and been up to my neck in NFL ball ever since.

Though for me the year was  1960 😛

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

This is why being a fan who gets as invested in this team as we do is a fool's errand.  This is such a a bad franchise, it's not fun being a fan for it.

If this off-season is a bust, I think it's going to be pretty hard to care about the team any more.  Football is a great game, and the NFL is a great show, but following a specific team is boring when they can't compete.  The Commanders are boring.  They need a rebuild that I can actually believe in to sustain my interest, because I can find better hobbies.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

In your opinion. Not currently the general opinion to be more balanced, by current indicators.

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

This is such a a bad franchise, it's not fun being a fan for it.

Historically this is certainly the case, at least for the last 30 years anyway but there's no reason at all to doubt this new regime......................Yet!

And that includes if they draft jayden daniels whom many consider to be the number 2 quarterback in this draft......................Yet!

Your a good evaluator and I value your opinions but I think you are not displaying enough patience with this regime when you're ready to jump ship before getting any results of any kind.

20 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That’s the plan everywhere.

But to paraphrase Mike Tyson everyone has a plan until it’s 3rd and long and your left tackle can’t block their DE.

Yea I guess my overall point is whoever we pick will be on a rookie deal and we can load the squad with talent for 5 years and see what they become. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Cool dog. I declared the redskins at six too and been up to my neck in NFL ball ever since.

Though for me the year was  1960 😛

I was the lucky one. I started watching in 1981. At 0-5 I was starting to wonder wtf I was thinking.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted it on this thread a few days ago.  If you don't want to take my word for it, that's cool, that's up to you.  

@Est.1974 might recall it.  I said in response to it,  we are losing the battle with the fans.  And @Est.1974 responded who are "we"

I do recall you referring to us all as ‘we’ in response to a poll Maye was suffering in….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

found it

Screen Shot 2024-04-13 at 2.43.02 PM.png

And it's not that I didn't believe you, just that one poll doesn't mean it's a forgone conclusion that fans prefer jayden.

As has also been said there's no way of knowing how many fans of other teams are voting in these polls too.

It just doesn't feel to me like there's a heavy favorite either way.