Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Est.1974 said:

I’ve come around on Maye, said that recently. 

You seem more isolated specifically on Maye and therefore, in my opinion, look for excuses instead of just acknowledging his shortfalls.

Maybe it has impacted that development, maybe not. Perhaps he’s just got naturally poor mechanics.

I already admitted that maybe he just has bad footwork. If you can admit that maybe being coached to use completely different styles of footwork over his 2 years starting could also cause problems, then we're on the same page.

• Like 1

Just now, mistertim said:

I already admitted that maybe he just has bad footwork. If you can admit that maybe being coached to use completely different styles of footwork over his 2 years starting could also cause problems, then we're on the same page.

Maye seem like a very smart guy, so I’m not sure it’s coaching tbh.

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

No. The exact opposite. That would be super confusing.

Now that you point that out, I agree.

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Maye seem like a very smart guy, so I’m not sure it’s coaching tbh.

Doesn't have anything to do with intellect. It's muscle memory. You're told to practice and learn one set of muscle memory for a specific task and then the next season told to practice and learn a completely different set of muscle memory for the same task.

I really don't get why you can't even admit that it's possible that something like that could affect development of the task in question.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Have you delved into this to uncover any truth or insight regarding whether the styles asked him to do completely different things? What if it was actually 26.7% different and 73.3% similar footwork?

I'm not sure where the truth lies, but it seems like you're grasping for anything that might bolster your campaign to support Maye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Have you delved into this to uncover any truth or insight regarding whether the styles asked him to do completely different things? What if it was actually 26.7% different and 73.3% similar footwork?

I'm not sure where the truth lies, but it seems like you're grasping for anything that might bolster your campaign to support Maye.

I haven't been saying "Maye has no responsibility or issues with his footwork. It's all the fault of his OCs". I've been saying that having to use two different styles of drop back and footwork over his two starting years quite possibly had an effect on his footwork development and on it not being as consistent as we'd like. 

So I think it's likely a variety of factors, with being told to use two different types of drop back over two years being one of them. I don't think that's some crazy out of left field hypothesis.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I haven't been saying "Maye has no responsibility or issues with his footwork. It's all the fault of his OCs". I've been saying that having to use two different styles of drop back and footwork over his two starting years quite possibly had an effect on his footwork development and on it not being as consistent as we'd like. 

So I think it's likely a variety of factors, with being told to use two different types of drop back over two years being one of them. I don't think that's some crazy out of left field hypothesis.

I thought maye said in a interview following his proday he was asked to backpedal drop compared to what drops the NFL uses?

Just now, bh32 said:

I thought maye said in a interview following his proday he was asked to backpedal drop compared to what drops the NFL uses?

His first year starting he was told/taught to backpedal drop (I think I said shuffle, which was probably wrong terminology). Then this past season the new OC told/taught him to use NFL style drop backs.

Just now, mistertim said:

His first year starting he was told/taught to backpedal drop (I think I said shuffle, which was probably wrong terminology). Then this past season the new OC told/taught him to use NFL style drop backs.

Well then yeah his footwork is gonna be inconsistent..He doesn't have enough reps yet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Agreed.

I mean, continuity of systems is important.

At its most extreme you have system QBs who at putting up top 10 numbers when the system fits them, who as soon as something changes fall apart.

At the other end, there's still a period of adjustment and transition even under the best of circumstances.

Good OCs will mould their system to their QB, so changes shouldn't be devastating bc theoretically the systems should all cater to their strengths but changes will still require some adjustment, and the more adjustments needed the rougher it'll be.

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Acknowledged, establishing it as a hypothesis is reasonable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Hope you feel better soon CITR.

Thanks brother! Means a lot, truly.

I'm fine I was just really tired. Haven't slept more than a couple hours a night for a few dats and I let it get to me. 

So I had a few weak feel sorry for yourself kind of moments, but I refused to wallow in it.

Decided to read some Marcus Aurelius then I watched a few David Goggins motivational vids on youtube.

Then I got my  ass out to the gym and spent 40 minutes on the bike, did some stretching, light weights and now I'm home grilling a rack of savory ribs.

All's well with the world, even when it's not.

20240401_161359.jpg

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I thought with having the initials J.D it was a clear sign we were taking Daniels.

But then again we did sign a quarterback who's first name starts with M.a. and his last name starts with M.a. that's a lot of M.a's to be just a coincidence. 

😁

Edited by redskinss

3 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Well this obviously means we're trading down and drafting Bo Nix:

I know you're kidding.

However, this gives me an idea that I know both the Maye and Daniels hardliners are gonna belly laugh at, but we could do a whole lot worse than trading down, and drafting Penix, while collecting a slew of picks in the next 3 drafts, including a first in '25, that would be from a team drafting a rookie qb-- which means it could well turn into a VERY high pick. 

Just thinking.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Well this obviously means we're trading down and drafting Bo N

Normally I'd be tempted to say this is an April fools thing, but I also know that Chris Simms is a moron so it's just a regular day for him. Maye literally had 2 passes where he lost control and it went haywire. Out of about 80 passes. The rest of them were on point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chris Simms is a tool, but he finally landed on something I can (somewhat) agree with.

Penix has a live arm.

However, I can say that without slamming Maye, and without including the pro day stuff in the argument.

If you draft someone based on how they "throw" at the pro day, then you got 99 problems and onboarding a new draft strategy is one of them.

Penix is the type of guy that can play right away and break records. His deep fade is just a thing of beauty and he throws with anticipation that many Sunday throwers dont have. 

I wont list all of his issues since those are well known (injury, etc), but I think the main issue with him is that he is already at his ceiling or real close to it, so it's tough to project him as improving a ton.  However, that ceiling could get you 5000 yards and a good leader of men who has high character in the locker room.

Intriguing prospect, no doubt about that. If I compared him to the leagues starters right now I could list a bunch that he would probably beat in an open competition.

Jones, Smith, Carr, Tua, Dak lol, OConnell, Stidham, Watson...

He is my dark horse for ROY depending on where he lands. If Miami decides to hit reset and drafts this kid... Look out 👀

• Like 2

*furiously tapping the sign*

Penix does have a nice arm tho.

If I were a team that needed a QB and he were there in the 2nd I'm grabbing him.  Lots of Brees-esque upside.

End of first a little iffier bc this draft is loaded but hey if you need a qb you need a qb and one could do a lot worse than Penix as a prospect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Doesn't have anything to do with intellect. It's muscle memory.

Agreed.  It's also one of the issues I have with Daniels.  All this talk about the development time Maye might need because he'll need to retrain himself to blah blah blah.  And I agree with some of that, but the process Daniels will have to go through to change his running/sack tendencies is no different, figures to take no less time, and might get him killed in the meantime...

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

...and this is one of the big things I like about Daniels.  When talking about the things he might need to change, Maye hasn't said much of substance, and has been reiterating his confidence in his game and ability.  Now that's most likely just pre-draft sound bites fed to him by his reps and not a big deal, but it sounds like the kind of bull**** you hear interviewing anyone for a job -- "My biggest weakness is that I work too hard and care too much."  So it might be nothing, but it could be a lack of humility, and that's a real problem when you have issues that need fixing.  Look no further than RG3's headstrong nonsense.

Daniels, on the other hand, has been very humble (and seemingly more candid and genuine) when answering that question.  He's talked a lot about the things he feels he needs to work on.  Maye clearly has an impressive work ethic, but a willingness to work doesn't mean much if you can't look inward and identify your issues.

All in all, being honest about each guy's strengths and weaknesses is just underscoring how complicated this process is and how different the candidates are in both style and substance.  Very different, and yet somehow pretty equally talented and flawed...  

I'm super glad we have a front office that appears to be analyzing every option and detail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1