Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peters hinted that they might take a QB later in the draft, too.  If so why not a freakish dude like this and try to develop him

I wouldnt hate that piece of clay in the later rounds. He is physically unbelievable. 

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

Your posts have a debilitating effect on my mind, you’re making me want to like Daniels more now even though I think Maye is a better prospect. Your posts should be studied (in captivity) 

IMG_1353.jpeg.ff94a1633899a3d769bad501c58aa6cc.jpeg

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Jackson was a bit more stocky at 6'-2" 215 lbs.  but it's not far off.  Can Daniels slide and avoid big hits?  I don't think anyone is as elusive as Lamar.    The fact that Maye thrived in an Air raid style offense and has the mass just makes me think the mocks are all wrong and Peters is leaning going that route.  Will be interesting to watch that pro day tomorrow.

Mocks are meaningless. They're just entertainment. And as part of being entertainment, they have to keep your attention and keep you coming back. That's why there's always some later riser that "popular opinion" has unseating a more established pick and then the obligatory dark horse candidate that was barely a 1st rounder before is now going top 3. Maye has been an established #2 to Williams for a couple of years. Daniels allows them to change it up, even if their reasoning contains little to no actual logic.

It happens every single year.

• Like 1

Pure craziness. I keep going back and forth between Maye and Daniels. Daniels Pro day honestly didn't wow me and makes me like Maye more. So let's see what Mayes Pro Day does to me. Either way it is a good problem to have. I'd rather have the choice between the 2 rather then get who isn't picked or have to trade the farm in hopes to get one of them. Either way I will be excited. 

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm shocked that a guy who was already completely in the tank for Daniels thought that Daniels nailed his pro day.  :ols: 

Your 37 posts today refuting most positive things about JD puts you in the same category. #biased view 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Your 37 posts today refuting most positive things about JD puts you in the same category. #biased view 

What have I refuted? I figured he'd weigh in over 205 after gaining quick weight, and he did. I figured it would also mean he wouldn't run, which he didn't. I figured he'd show what he already showed on film: pretty good but not elite arm, quick release, pretty smooth footwork. As I said many times though, I pay almost zero attention to pro day passing unless the guy is clearly terrible. Most guys can look good in shorts and ideal conditions in carefully scripted plays.

At this point, Peters/Quinn/Kingsbury have all the film they need. Most QBs do what they need to do throwing the ball on their pro days. Daniels did well and I have no doubt Maye will have a good day.  If we haven’t decided our QB yet, I doubt the throwing portion will change their minds. It’s really about the meetings at this point.  

Edited by JMURedskins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, JMURedskins said:

At this point, Peters/Quinn/Kingsbury have all the film they need. Most QBs do what they need to do throwing the ball on their pro days. Daniels did well and I have no doubt Maye will have a good day.  If we haven’t decided our QB yet, I doubt the throwing portion will change their minds. It’s really about the meetings at this point.  

There's also a whole lot of leverage with the 2nd pick this year....more so than normal draft years.   They are probably trying to figure out how to maximize that and still get their guy.   

23 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

This is definitely worth a watch. The guy doing the review is really detailed. 

It's a well made video with plenty of good nuance and understanding of what's happening, but it's also basically saying the same things that most people have (just with much more actual content to back it up): that Maye ticks pretty much every single elite trait you can think of but has inconsistent footwork (especially on short drops) that can lead to spotty accuracy, that he sometimes plays too much hero ball which can lead to bad decisions, and that he has a **** OL that had rushers in his lap on half of the snaps after 1 or 2 seconds max.

This is some of what the guys in the video that (I think) was posted last night were saying when it comes to Maye: don't overthink it. They had some of the same concerns about Allen and Herbert and they nitpicked them instead of focusing more on the base traits and that ended up with them getting those picks very wrong.

I'm not saying Maye doesn't have stuff to work on, he absolutely does. But those are things that are coachable and that most rookie QBs struggle with somewhat coming out of college. If you can get a guy with all the elite traits and who you think will take well to coaching to clean up his issues...don't overthink it.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

This is definitely worth a watch.

Nice find. And I agree with just about all of it. His inconsistencies come down to mechanics. Which can be corrected. Could take 2 months. Could take 2 years. But even if it does take 2 years he would be Daniels age then. And probably a more dangerous player at that point. It's why I prefer him. I prefer the youth and traits more than the more experienced player. 

• Thumb up 1

The Giants are one of the teams that are in line to meet w/ Daniels today, but I think it is interesting that they went out to dinner w/ Nabers last night.

I think they are kinda screwed when it comes to getting a top QB and are preparing for the inevitability of having to take a WR.

If the opportunity to get one of those guys comes, sure they pounce, but I don't think its gonna happen for them... which is just aces for me.

Edited by FootballZombie

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sam Howell didn't come out of college with an obscenely high big time throw rating like Maye did. PFF's definition of a big time throw is "passes with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window"

And I have watched the film. I've watched the film and looked at the stats and they back each other up. Maye makes a high number of NFL level throws. 2nd level, tight window, middle of the field, anticipation. That's why his big time throw number is so high.

Does he have things he has to clean up and fix with his footwork, etc? Of course. Pretty much every prospect does. But his ability to make those NFL throws NOW is a huge plus for him vs a guy like Daniels who has a low number of them or McCarthy who just doesn't pass the ball that much.

I don't know Tim....Maye just doesn't do it for me.  He just looks horrible on film.  If you look at his highlights he may seem like the real deal, but the film looks shaky at best.  He misses sooooo many easy passes.  

But I think the hype comes from his first year as a starter where he was extremely young, had the size and put up the stats....his ceiling going into year 2 as a starter was sky high.  I think he flopped last year and he played poorly.  I am not going to be surprised when he falls in the draft.  I also think he's not ready to start next year either.  If we draft the kid and he's not ready then what are we doing?  Start Mariota?

Drake Maye is a project and a huge gamble at #2.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I don't know Tim....Maye just doesn't do it for me.  He just looks horrible on film.  If you look at his highlights he may seem like the real deal, but the film looks shaky at best.  He misses sooooo many easy passes.  

But I think the hype comes from his first year as a starter where he was extremely young, had the size and put up the stats....his ceiling going into year 2 as a starter was sky high.  I think he flopped last year and he played poorly.  I am not going to be surprised when he falls in the draft.  I also think he's not ready to start next year either.  If we draft the kid and he's not ready then what are we doing?  Start Mariota?

He's not going to fall in the draft. He'll never get past 3. Yes, as I've noted, he has inconsistent footwork that leads to accuracy issues as well as hero ball poor decision making at times. But he also had a **** OL, **** receivers, and a mediocre new OC who was much more run focused than the last one and just not as good. I think that's one of the reasons for the drop in stats.

But you just don't get guys like this very often that tick so many elite trait boxes. Guys who tick them all AND don't have any of the consistency or footwork issues (ala Andrew Luck) happen about once every 10-15 years. Guys who tick them but still have other things to clean up come along about once every 5 or so. We're just lucky enough to have the #2 pick in a draft with one of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I agree that he has a long way to go in regards to the fundamentals and decision making side of the game, but they are all gambles so that part does not scare me very much for any prospect outside of those with an established history of getting injured.

I'm not one of them, but there are plenty of peeps who see Drake having a higher ceiling and if that's your view, why not roll the dice on higher upside? He's got a bunch of great tools to work with.

Just gotta find a coach who wants to play Frankenstein and "put his brain in that body" lol.

The idea that Maye had a bad season that some throw out there is a bridge too far IMO.

He had a good season after having a great season the season before.

Good - always means some ups and downs.  He had some issues with accuracy on the first level and sometimes throwing off platform but a lot more good than bad.

And the dude is only 21.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 6.56.00 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1