Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

41 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

When you look at almost all of the really bad hits Jayden took last year--against Missouri, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, and FSU--the problem was he was making a low FB IQ play.  Basically in every case, he tried to cut the ball up field without a hole or without momentum and got destroyed.  He has poor vision/instincts as a runner, and gets so fixated on beating the defender right in front of him, that he gets killed by the next guy he doesn't see at all.

I think it's part of a larger problem in Jayden's game in that, after the ball is snapped and ends up in his hands, his view of the field compresses too much.  This is what is meant by the "sees the field through a straw" phrase.  It was the biggest flaw in Sam Howell's game, and the same for Justin Fields too.  It's a significant issue for QB prospects, and I think it's the fundamental reason why Jayden is scared to throw the ball into tight windows or into the middle of the field when he's moved off his outside reads.  He doesn't take risks as a thrower and can't stand to turn it over, so he pulls it and runs instead.  And he's really good at it and it worked well for him in that explosive LSU offense.  The problem is he just doesn't see the field well when he runs.  Maybe he developed this style because he was always faster than everyone before he got to the SEC and was able to get away with stringing together 15 moves in traffic without getting touched, but it doesn't work any more.  And I'm skeptical that he can easily change a fundamental part of his playing style.  I'm skeptical that he can significantly expand his vision of the field once he's at a vastly more intense and difficult level of the sport.

Drake Maye OTOH is a baller who sees the field really well.  He has superb instincts and FB IQ.  It's how he's able to create and pull off such crazy stuff during games so much.  He plays football like a super creative lead guard in basketball, but the kid also averaged like 10 RPG in basketball.  He's rugged.  He's basically another Josh Allen in style, with a little less arm talent but a lot better touch and decision making skills.

I don't know if I agree with all of that, mainly because I don't have any opinion on Maye least of all one that compares him to Allen.

I did watch enough Daniels where I think he has some Vick in him, and that makes him both scary to draft and scary not to draft. What I mean is Vick relied on athleticism in college and in the pros but was one of the rare cases where his athletic advantages actually still mattered in the pros. There's only a handlful of guys like that and they are either Hall of Famers (Moss/Deion) or incredibly frustrating talents (Vick/RGIII in year one).

I think maybe Daniels' athleticism is such that he may be able to get away with stuff that Fields can't.

I think Maye will be good. I think Daniels has potential to be unreal. And that's the dilemma as I see it with the pick. What does guy who is 85 percent as good as Josh Allen get me when 100 percent of Josh Allen can't get out of the divisional round?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Jayden's combine weight would be the lightest of any starting QB in the league outside of Kyler, who's 5 inches shorter than him and still clocked in at 207 (and is built much stockier).

I just don't see how his build & weight aren't a red flag. But I will trust whatever Peters and Quinn decide.

Personally, I think we draft Maye and sit him behind Mariota for at least part of the season. 

Kirk cousins is 6’3’’, 210. That’s the same measurements that Daniels had today, and has been listed at this year while playing. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Kirk cousins is 6’3’’, 210. That’s the same measurements that Daniels had today, and has been listed at this year while playing. 

Kirk weighed in at 214 at the combine. So 210-215 is his actual playing weight and has been since college. No chance in hell that 210 was Daniels actual playing weight during the season. I'd be shocked if he was over 200. Probably closer to 190.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Jayden's combine weight would be the lightest of any starting QB in the league outside of Kyler, who's 5 inches shorter than him and still clocked in at 207 (and is built much stockier).

Isnt Bryce Young taller and lighter than Murray? I think Russ is lighter than Murray too

There are light guys around the NFL w/ actual height tho, T Law was like 213. CJ Stroud was 214.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Isnt Bryce Young taller and lighter than Murray? I think Russ is lighter than Murray too

There are light guys around the NFL w/ actual height tho, T Law was like 213. CJ Stroud was 214.

The point is that Daniels normal, standard, in game/in season playing weight will not be 210. Its an inflated number specific for him for this day.

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

These two tweets can’t both be true. Did Jayden meet with teams at the combine or not? If he didn’t then he’s lying. If he did then why is Ian Rapport saying it didn’t happen and  Chick Hernandez quoting DQ as saying he wants to meet him today as if it’s the first time?

And Chick:

https://x.com/mrchicksports/status/1773029819434844439?s=46

Guesesing Rapaport misspoke. Pretty sure Daniels did meet with teams at the combine.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Kirk weighed in at 214 at the combine. So 210-215 is his actual playing weight and has been since college. No chance in hell that 210 was Daniels actual playing weight during the season. I'd be shocked if he was over 200. Probably closer to 190.

Daniels playing weight was listed at 210 all season and weighed the exact same at his pro day. Is it a conspiracy? Maybe, though I doubt it. I imagine, 210 is probably where he will be his first few years, and possibly get up to 215 or 220 by the end of his rookie contract 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Guesesing Rapaport misspoke. Pretty sure Daniels did meet with teams at the combine.

Here is Jerrod Mayo saying he only saw him on Zoom and Mayo was in Indy at the combine and Jayden talked about meeting with the Pats. Something is definitely off:

IMG_1350.thumb.jpeg.e97dd77d756fadf30bc5675e0b8a9757.jpeg

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2024/03/26/former-nfl-gm-maps-out-concerns-if-patriots-draft-lsu-qb-jayden-daniels/?amp=1

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mac8887 said:

Daniels playing weight was listed at 210 all season and weighed the exact same at his pro day. Is it a conspiracy? Maybe, though I doubt it. I imagine, 210 is probably where he will be his first few years, and possibly get up to 215 or 220 by the end of his rookie contract 

It's not a conspiracy, it's logic. Teams pretty much always inflate their players on their site, first of all. Second of all, if he actually weighed 210 during the season there's zero reason for him to refuse to get weighed at the combine unless he knew he was underweight. Third, if he had been 210 this whole time there's precisely zero reason for him to refuse to run the 40 today.

The most logical explanation is that he actually weighed far less than 210 during the season, he has a super slight frame so putting on muscle is hard for him, so he decided to put on a bunch of water weight right before his pro day so he'd be close to his listed weight but with the side effect that he wouldn't run the 40 because that extra weight would make his 40 time underwhelming.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Thanks, I missed Bryce and Russ. Stockier built guys, though, for sure.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

It's not a conspiracy, it's logic. Teams pretty much always inflate their players on their site, first of all. Second of all, if he actually weighed 210 during the season there's zero reason for him to refuse to get weighed at the combine unless he knew he was underweight. Third, if he had been 210 this whole time there's precisely zero reason for him to refuse to run the 40 today.

The most logical explanation is that he actually weighed far less than 210 during the season, he has a super slight frame so putting on muscle is hard for him, so he decided to put on a bunch of water weight right before his pro day so he'd be close to his listed weight but with the side effect that he wouldn't run the 40 because that extra weight would make his 40 time underwhelming.

We will know regardless. If he isnt running around in his throwing drills it will be pretty obvious what the deal is. 

13 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

These two tweets can’t both be true. Did Jayden meet with teams at the combine or not? If he didn’t then he’s lying. If he did then why is Ian Rapport saying it didn’t happen and  Chick Hernandez quoting DQ as saying he wants to meet him today as if it’s the first time?

And Chick:

https://x.com/mrchicksports/status/1773029819434844439?s=46

The interview with the Commanders that Daniels is talking about was done at the combine.

That's an old video that was reposted recently.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

We will know regardless. If he isnt running around in his throwing drills it will be pretty obvious what the deal is. 

Running around while throwing without defenders does not give a sense of his speed. His refusal to run a 40 even though that’s a more part of his game is beyond disqualifying. It’s teetering on fraud. We don’t need any of it. Let’s get a guy with some integrity. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think Maye will be good. I think Daniels has potential to be unreal. And that's the dilemma as I see it with the pick. What does guy who is 85 percent as good as Josh Allen get me when 100 percent of Josh Allen can't get out of the divisional round?

I made a similar post a while back, suggesting the bench initially needs to be set higher. Didn’t get much buy-in around here.

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

LSU 2023: He weighs 210.

LSU 2024: He weighs 210.

Tim:

Carina Seah, PhD on X: "That conspiracy meme except it's me and a nephron  https://t.co/bDYm4WEVQo" / X

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

The interview with the Commanders that Daniels is talking about was done at the combine.

That's an old video that was reposted recently.

That’s what I am talking about. Jerod Mayo of the Pats and DQ are seemingly saying they haven’t met with Jayden yet including the combine but Jayden at the combine was talking to media as if he had. Something is off. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s what I am talking about. Jerod Mayo of the Pats and DQ are seemingly saying they have t met with Jayden yet including the combine but Jayden at the combine was talking to media as if he had. Something is off. 

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.