Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This whole idea of Maye having horrible footwork is somewhat overblown IMO and mostly seems to be something that just gets repeated.

From the cutups I've watched of him (many times now), I do think that his footwork can get inconsistent and sloppy at times, especially on shorter dropbacks and passes. He'll have times where he won't set his feet fully and just tries to arm it, which leads to inaccurate passes. It may be because he feels hurried or it's just a bad habit. But certainly nothing insurmountable.

The way some people tell it, Maye drops back, and then trips over his own feet three times before helplessly rolling around on the ground while slobbering uncontrollably.

Exactly. He doesn't have bad footwork, his footwork and mechanics just occasionally gets janky. Mostly becasue he's trying to play hero ball while under immense duress. He's not some super raw project that needs 3 years to sit and learn, that's absurd.

QBs get better by playing. The only ones that sit are on teams that have high quality establiehd starters alread

Yeah one of the things that made me come down slightly in the Daniels camp initially was footwork; Daniels' is super clean and Maye's is a bit sloppy.

But footwork is often fixable, and that is probably like 33% of his bad throws right there.

• Like 1

1. No to Cousins. 

2. Maybe to Russ. 

3. Draft a QB at #2 either way

The way I see it - Russ will sign for a vet. minimum deal, because DEN is on the hook for the first $39m and he ain't getting anywhere near that.

You could sign Russ to a 1-year deal where you agree he comes in to start for a year to rehab his long-term prospects. You draft Maye. Let may sit for a year. Trade Howell for whatever you can get for him.

Russ is your stop-gap. Maye gets to sit. 

I am leaning more toward drafting Maye and letting him sit for at least the first half of the season. And in that case, I think you can really make out if Howell plays really well and you can trade him for something legitimate in 2025. But I think Wilson would make sense in an alternative scenario where you want a veteran coming in and being a stopgap. Idk if Russ would want to "mentor" anyone though he may not have any other options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This whole idea of Maye having horrible footwork is somewhat overblown IMO and mostly seems to be something that just gets repeated.

From the cutups I've watched of him (many times now), I do think that his footwork can get inconsistent and sloppy at times, especially on shorter dropbacks and passes. He'll have times where he won't set his feet fully and just tries to arm it, which leads to inaccurate passes. It may be because he feels hurried or it's just a bad habit. But certainly nothing insurmountable.

The way some people tell it, Maye drops back, trips over his own feet three times before helplessly rolling around on the ground while slobbering uncontrollably.

He drifts backwards and to the right a lot instead of planting at the top of his drop.  He does it Backwards and to the left as well but not as often. He needs to work on planting and sliding left, right, or up in the pocket.

Maybe he just didn’t trust his line and it’ll be an easy fix. If not, He needs to watch a lot of Drew Brees tape, his footwork was flawless.

Brees could take 1 step to the side and make people just whiff somehow. He was truly amazing 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. No to Cousins. 

2. Maybe to Russ. 

3. Draft a QB at #2 either way

The way I see it - Russ will sign for a vet. minimum deal, because DEN is on the hook for the first $39m and he ain't getting anywhere near that.

You could sign Russ to a 1-year deal where you agree he comes in to start for a year to rehab his long-term prospects. You draft Maye. Let may sit for a year. Trade Howell for whatever you can get for him.

Russ is your stop-gap. Maye gets to sit. 

I am leaning more toward drafting Maye and letting him sit for at least the first half of the season. And in that case, I think you can really make out if Howell plays really well and you can trade him for something legitimate in 2025. But I think Wilson would make sense in an alternative scenario where you want a veteran coming in and being a stopgap. Idk if Russ would want to "mentor" anyone though he may not have any other options. 

I don't hate the idea.... mostly cuz we need to work out the oline kinks with someone other than our rookie QB.... but I'm only on board if it's a 1 year super cheap deal.... which I question if Russ would agree to...

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Keim knows things.  

Btw, I had to turn off Bram today.  He was going on and on and on and on and on about Adam saying Washington might jump in for Cousins.  He kept saying it wasn't going to happen.  Then kept going and going and going.

And his doofus of a producer (Bram I like, Callow is very meh) brought up a scenario by which we signed Kirk, then the Vikings traded us Justin Jefferson + 2 firsts for #2. 

And then they talked about that.  

I mean, what in the name are we doing here?  Everybody has lost their damn mind.

We're going to sit at 2 and pick Maye and 80% of the fanbase is going to be disappointed we didn't do something revolutionary and insanely stupid.  

Nah, it's more that talk radio and that sort of the thing are the absolute height of grand mal stupidity when it comes to sports. The reality is that fans on antique message boards like this one tend to be far more thoughtful within the context of a moderated community as compared to the hellscape that is talk radio, or even twitter etc. This is a very niche environment where people research the living hell out of ----, and this kind of environment probably represents 1-3% of fandom, most fans are idiots, homers, or passively engaged. This forum, and others like it since the mid 90's reflected an obsessed kind of fan that is atypical in general. 

• Like 1

No way on Gods green is either Cousins or Wilson coming here to be a place holder for a rookie QB for a year. Neither gives a rats ass about mentoring a rookie. Bring Brisset back if the idea is to allow a rookie to sit for a year.  Its all moot anyway, were drafting a QB at 2 who will start day one. 

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Tom Brady was 15 years into his career and still worked on his foot work during the off season.  Maye will be fine.  The coaches will have him doing foot work drills all summer long.  Howell will be right there with him.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll say this, the last time I can recall QB #2 this divided as for media sentiment was 2018.  Who should go #2 or what they are heaing about #2 or what they think of #2 -- its wild how divergent the opinions are on it.

I am focused on Maye because Daniels gets plenty enough attention from any twitter posting organically here.  But both get plenty of love depending on the source.

This from one of the draft guys on the Athletic

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 7.29.39 AM.png

I think since 2013, Williams would have gone 1.01 in any season other than maybe '20 and '21, not sure about those.

I think since 2013, Maye would have gone 1.01 in every season other than '20 and '21.

I think since 2013, Daniels would have gone 1.01 in '13, '14, '16, '17, '18, '22, and maybe '23. 

I think the choice seems pretty easy, not because Maye is so much better, but rather because Maye's issues seem more fixable and less alarming than Daniels to me, plus breakout age. I am just less alarmed by the criticisms of Maye than I am of those of Daniels, and and more impressed by the strengths of Maye than Daniels. That's pretty much what it comes down to, to me, other than the breakout piece. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

Tom Brady was 15 years into his career and still worked on his foot work during the off season.  Maye will be fine.  The coaches will have him doing foot work drills all summer long.  Howell will be right there with him.  

I think it’ll be easier for Maye than Howell. Howells height makes it harder for him to see the field and that leads to happy feet. 

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Sign Wilson, draft a QB, trade Howell.

You know Wilson has been cratering for 3 seasons now. He's beyond over as a legit or even competent QB. He basically periodically plays competently, but mostly is subpar to downright awful. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Yeah one of the things that made me come down slightly in the Daniels camp initially was footwork; Daniels' is super clean and Maye's is a bit sloppy.

Yeah Daniels is really smooth and fluid all around mechanically. Reminds me a lot of Rodgers actually in that respect.

I just wish he were 2 years younger and like 20 pounds heavier.

Edited by Warhead36

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Daniels is really smooth and fluid all around mechanically. Reminds me a lot of Rodgers actually in that respect.

I just wish he were 2 years younger and like 20 pounds heavier.

Yup yup and if he had just a bit more zip on short/intermediate throws.

I too would love Jayden Daniels if he was an entirely different prospect, good call guys 

Two years younger, 20 lbs heavier, with a better arm…wow, dream prospect! 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

If every QB could improve; then every QB would become god-tier. Some guys don’t have the motivation and others just can’t get better no matter how hard they try. We have to hope we land a guy that translates to the NFL and then has the drive to keep getting better.  

Edited by dyst
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Hey, you...you watch yourself, bucko. Otherwise I'll start posting about trading the farm to pick up Zach Wilson and his hot mom.

But we already have his smoking hot ex-girlfriend, who is dutifully nursing Dax Milne’s injured groin back to health.  

Well, I guess we have her for now, until Peters cuts Dax. 

1 minute ago, dyst said:

If every QB could improve; then every QB would become god-tier. Some guys don’t have the motivation and others just can’t get better no matter how hard they try. We have to hope we land a guy who’s game translate to the NFL and then has the drive to keep getting better.  

Sure, but the upside with Maye is how young he is and how he's shown he's willing to work. He's worked with guys like Rivers, Eli Manning, Clyde Christensen etc.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Drops back, and then trips over his own feet three times before helplessly rolling around on the ground while slobbering uncontrollably.

This sounds remarkably similar to my recent performance at an 80's themed club in Montana called "Disco Inferno" where I'm known as The Long Island Tea Kid.

Fortunately I was not wearing my party spurs.

• Haha 7

Just now, Jumbo said:

This sounds remarkably similar to my recent performance at an 80's themed club in Montana called "Disco Inferno" where I'm known as The Long Island Tea Kid." 

But were you wearing your nipple tassels? 

1 hour ago, DiscoBob said:

What's Mark Sanchez doing? 🤡

Serious answer: being as bad at football commentary as he was at playing football.

Which is bad. 

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

I too would love Jayden Daniels if he was an entirely different prospect, good call guys 

Two years younger, 20 lbs heavier, with a better arm…wow, dream prospect! 

Would you get … Caleb Williams? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jumbo said:

This sounds remarkably similar to my recent performance at an 80's themed club in Montana called "Disco Inferno" where I'm known as The Long Island Tea Kid." 

Thought he was talking about 50% of the players in the Premier League at first.

gb4w13k.gif

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Purely out of curiosity, are you planning on sticking around when we likely draft Maye or will you disappear?

I don't plan on moving from this area anytime soon; this is not my first round on this board. I'll be here for your enjoyment. 😎

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

that would be happy to have Sam Howell instead of Russell

Yes. 100%. I would rather have Sam over Fields as well. And that is why we ARE going to draft a QB at 2. It is time to take a swing at a blue chip QB in the draft. Have to do it when you have the ability to do it without wasting any draft capital to do it. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2