Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t think he can sign until after June 1st.  But I could be wrong about that.  

The player can sign immediately after being released even if a June 1st designation. It's actually why they created that designation. This allows the player to sign early. Also, the team opens a roster spot however the CAP hit stays until June 1. So it provides the team long term CAP relief but not immediate relief. I do NOT want to sign RW but he could sign anywhere once released, even if designated June 1st. 

I want no part of RW or KC. If they are not in love with Maye/Daniels then trade back and look at Nix or McCarthy, someone in that tier. Let Sam H compete with them or bring Jacoby Brissett back as a mentor. 

• Like 3

I sure hope I am not the only one that would be happy to have Sam Howell instead of Russell "check please" Wilson as a backup. F these vet washed up failed QBs; they are there to help a young QB... who ends up almost always failing anyways?  I prefer a fleet of 3 younger QBs on our roster constantly competing developing in a search for the next star. Whatever NFL teams have been doing is simply not working.  Look at how many decades it took them to go for it on 4th down. Not kick every punt out of the back of the end zone net 17. Draft 1 QB every 4 years and wonder why you don't have a QB. Why did it take forever for OCs to cater to a QBs strengths; instead its been square peg round hole hammering away like a caveman.  It takes decades for top NFL brass to figure out basic ****.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I sure hope I am not the only one that would be happy to have Sam Howell instead of Russell "check please" Wilson as a backup. F these vet washed up failed QBs; they are there to help a young QB... who ends up almost always failing anyways?  I prefer a fleet of 3 younger QBs on our roster constantly competing developing in a search for the next star. Whatever NFL teams have been doing is simply not working.  Look at how many decades it took them to go for it on 4th down. Not kick every punt out of the back of the end zone net 17. Draft 1 QB every 4 years and wonder why you don't have a QB. Why did it take forever for OCs to cater to a QBs strengths; instead its been square peg round hole hammering away like a caveman.  It takes decades for top NFL brass to figure out basic ****.

jonahhill_a.webp

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I think we're going to have a lot of bad games from our rookie quarterback no matter who it is. I think the team is going to be legitimately awful. Get ready for a rough year. This year will be all about watching for signs of individual progress from the quarterback and other young players. We're starting fresh with everything from the owner on down to the offensive line. This is the very definition of a rebuild.

I expect Maye to be up and down. He's gonna have games where he lights it up, and he's gonna have games where he pushes his luck and ends up throwing 3 picks. Ideally, we see growth and improvement from the first half of the season to the second but QB growth isn't often linear. 

My dream scenario is that by November ish he's humming and we lose a bunch of close hard fought shootouts so we're optimistic about the future of our QB while also landing another high pick to add another blue chip talent.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

You can basically have Wilson for nothing in 2024, as long as we draft a QB I don’t see the problem. He’s is also very close with Quinn. 

Because he sucks and honestly I don't see him as being a good vet mentor type. And as someone else mentioned, you'd have to run a completely different offense with a guy like Wilson compared to Maye so the benefit of the rook sitting and learning is lessened.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Because he sucks and honestly I don't see him as being a good vet mentor type. And as someone else mentioned, you'd have to run a completely different offense with a guy like Wilson compared to Maye so the benefit of the rook sitting and learning is lessened.

Quinn might consider him a good mentor type. Also, the rookie QB doesn’t have to be Maye.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Quinn might consider him a good mentor type. Also, the rookie QB doesn’t have to be Maye.

Nothing from Wilson's history and personality type suggests he'd be a good mentor. Dude is literally the definition of diva. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

You can basically have Wilson for nothing in 2024, as long as we draft a QB I don’t see the problem. He’s is also very close with Quinn. 

The problem is him easily outplaying a rookie QB short term and eating valuable reps. 

I would rather 2 young QBs figure **** out on their own (Maye and Howell), then a greenhorn Maye be told by a vet how things are. That vet QB who has a vested interest in the young QB FAILING. Humans learn best by figuring out things on our own. Its often the hard way.

Maybe its just me, but it seems all vet QBs really want is their next big payday.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Nothing from Wilson's history and personality type suggests he'd be a good mentor. Dude is literally the definition of diva. 

He is the biggest cheeseball in NFL history. He oozes fakeness and I think it burns teammates out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Granted I don't know for certain, but the vibe I get from Wilson is he has no desire to be a mentor.

You could be right, I see a low cost move when Denver are basically paying him 40mil in 2024. That’s said, im not dying in a ditch  fighting for Wilson. I see some merit though, personally. Quinn might too.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I think we're going to have a lot of bad games from our rookie quarterback no matter who it is. I think the team is going to be legitimately awful. Get ready for a rough year. This year will be all about watching for signs of individual progress from the quarterback and other young players. We're starting fresh with everything from the owner on down to the offensive line. This is the very definition of a rebuild.

So what you're saying is CJ Stroud is a complete anomaly

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My dream scenario is that by November ish he's humming and we lose a bunch of close hard fought shootouts so we're optimistic about the future of our QB while also landing another high pick to add another blue chip talent.

Man, I’m all for tanking once we are eliminated from contention. But I gotta aim little higher than that for my “dream scenario”! 😁 

kidding aside, though, I agree that would be a good place to be at the end of this year

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

So what you're saying is CJ Stroud is a complete anomaly

No, I think that even if our rookie quarterback is as good as Stroud, he will be joining a much worse team than the 2023 Houston Texans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

No, I think that even if our rookie quarterback is as good as Stroud, he will be joining a much worse team than the 2023 Houston Texans.

Are they that much worse though? I mean the Texans prior to getting Stroud went 3-13. I think we have to see how FA and the rest of the draft goes first

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Looking at how many teams need QBs and guys like Russell "Write Off" Wilson and others like Cousins (and Rodgers) coming off major injuries yet still will command TOP dollar....

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

it does not bode well for thinking any QB we draft will be a difference maker.

These aren’t really related thoughts. You could just as easily say that the opportunity to take a cost-controlled swing on a franchise QB is rare and super valuable BECAUSE of the first thing you mentioned. 

6 hours ago, Ghost of said:

Odd that he knows nothing but knew on a specific route that the Ohio State defender wouldn't turn his head around and threw a touchdown to Roman Wilson (in what was ultimately a tight game). I mean he talked about that immediately after the game and the video proves the defender didn't turn his head. How is he picking up on that but not knowing where to go?

Did he know or was he lucky?

As I think about it, the thing I think was most lacking in my view was throwing with anticipation.  He had to wait for the player to make the break, see it, see the player, and then throw.  

In the NFL, that's death.  

Do a lot of college QBs do it?  No.  Do the really good ones at least flash it from time to time?  Yes.  Did McCarthy?  No.  Can it be learned? Maybe to an extent.

I get he was basically told "don't make a mistake, we don't need you to win games, we need you not to lose games."  So maybe if he had more leeway, he could have shown more.  

But he didn't.  Some say it's a hard evaluation.  I don't.  I think that tape was not good.  Shrug.  If Adam Peters disagrees with me, then we'll see how he does.

I just don't think he's very good.  I could be wrong.  

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also Sheehan had a rare Mae Culpa on his podcast where he went over all his many QB misses including Darnold and hit his RBs, too.   I thought he looked good owning up to it.  I like Sheehan but find it when he plays amatuer scout and touts his accomplishments on that front a bit much.  But on that segment he was plenty humble.  He even played down him trashing the Wentz trade as it was an obvious call.

Now this I've got to hear....

13 minutes ago, Hiker said:

Why would any free agent QB (Cousins, Wilson,etc) want to come to Washington?  We have one (1) offensive lineman.

I think Wilson won't have many options where he can be super picky.

I bet Sean Payton wants Wilson to take his Let's Ride train to the Raiders and ruin them for a few seasons. At least he is cheap cheap because his season is basically paid for.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Hiker said:

Why would any free agent QB (Cousins, Wilson,etc) want to come to Washington?  We have one (1) offensive lineman.

Running for one's life every passing down adds excitement in an otherwise stationary position, and if we can somehow incorporate that language as a positive in the job description I'm sure candidates will look at the scenario differently.

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

The problem is him easily outplaying a rookie QB short term and eating valuable reps. 

I would rather 2 young QBs figure **** out on their own (Maye and Howell), then a greenhorn Maye be told by a vet how things are. That vet QB who has a vested interest in the young QB FAILING. Humans learn best by figuring out things on our own. Its often the hard way.

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems all vet QBs really want is their next big payday.

Do you mean outplaying him as in playing better, or playing more minutes? If he is easily playing better ball than a rookie, that’s a good thing, you want your guys playing well no matter who he is. 

There doesn’t seem to be much correlation between a guy learning on the job, or sitting and learning behind a backup.

Sometimes if a guy goes out there to soon, it ruins his confidence and he never recovers.

And many times it’s proven to be more beneficial sitting and learning, than learning by live in game reps

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hiker said:

Money. We have the most cap. It’s all about dollars nothing more particularly with Cousins. 

• Like 1

Why on earth would we want either of those two? A "Retread" Cousins and a "has never been" Wilson. We literally have a clean slate from top to bottom, let's run it that way and start this **** fresh! 

• Thumb up 1