Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

"If I get drafted by the Bears, I'll be excited," he said. "If they trade the pick, and I get drafted by someone else, I'm just as excited. Speaking about Chicago, they have a talented team, a talented offense and defense. For anyone to be in that situation, I think they'd be excited."

Williams pushed back on any notion that he would request a trade or wants to play elsewhere.

"I'm not pushing any agenda," Williams said. "At the end of the day, the Bears have the last say. Regardless of how I feel, I'm not pushing an agenda of, 'Yeah, I want to go. Or no, I don't want to go.' I'm excited for whatever comes."

Williams said he is eager for his "first date" with Chicago, with a meeting planned in Indianapolis this week, and stressed the importance of the first impression.

He said he was intrigued to hear about the Bears' plans and learn what the organization is like and the vision moving forward. Chicago hasn't won a playoff game since 2010 and has finished with a winning record just twice since.

"Just the constant growth and change, that's important whether you are a quarterback or wide receiver or a general manager or an owner or an organization," Williams said of what he's looking for. "Just a healthy situation -- in the facility, with the players -- and just a place that really wants to win."

Williams said he has been to Chicago once, has heard good things about the rowdiness of Bears fans, and has gone down video rabbit holes studying both Jordan and Payton, two of the city's most iconic athletes.

"I'm 22. I didn't really get to see those players," Williams said. "As the saying goes, the legends live on. That's my goal of playing football -- it's not money, it's not fame ... it's to be immortal. I want to reach that sense of being a legend. Being at the table ... and having a rightful seat through hard work and energy and time I've put into this game that we all love.

"It's appealing to be in a city like that. With legends that you've looked up to ... reach for the standard they set and try to do anything to get there."

Williams' next most speculated destination is the Washington Commanders, who have the No. 2 pick. That union would mark a return home for Williams, who grew up in the area and attended Gonzaga College High School in Washington, D.C.

"It'd be really cool because it's so familiar," he said. "There's a time and place for everything. My job and my hobby is being at the facility or on the field or watching film. Or relaxing and prepping for the next day or game.

"My main goal and focus ... is to go win games and stay focused on keeping the main goal the main goal."

The highlighted part I did if you expand this post is Pete Thamel's opinion.  This is why the NFL social media, writers, reporters need to be as neutral, I think.  Hey some people want them to give their opinions and that's cool too.  We live in a country of free speech with respect to it and with it.  :)  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

Not a fan of Jayden Daniels. At all. Weak arm. Slender frame. Takes terrible hits and doesn't protect himself. Bails on clean pockets to run and take those terrible hits. I can't see him surviving in the NFL but he's the type of QB a SanFran exec typically gets steamed up for. Caleb Williams is a unicorn and is going to Chicago and they'd have give up too much draft capital to trade up... Drake Maye doesn't impress me either. Reminds me of a  poor-mans CJ Stroud that might scramble more. This almost feels like a situation where you could trade back, pick up more draft picks, grab a QB (Penix, Mcarthy) and patch the nine thousand holes they've got in the roster.

Edited by seamonster
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, seamonster said:

Not a fan of Jayden Daniels. At all. Weak arm. Slender frame. Takes terrible hits and doesn't protect himself. Bails on clean pockets to run and take those terrible hits. I can't see him surviving in the NFL but he's the type of QB a SanFran exec typically gets steamed up for. Caleb Williams is a unicorn and is going to Chicago and they'd have give up too much draft capital to trade up... Drake Maye doesn't impress me either. Reminds me of a  poor-mans CJ Stroud that might scramble more. This almost a situation where you trade back and pick up another QB and pick up more draft capital to plug the endless holes on the roster.

Congrats, you just made everyone in this thread upset lolol

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

And while next year might look weak, I have a hard time believing that Ewers and Beck and Sanders aren't all being talked about as Top 5/10 guys when things shake out this time next year.

They will be, because there are always teams that need a QB and shortfall in supply of QBs. But if you compare Ewers, Beck and Sanders to Williams, Maye and Daniels this is the year to take your shot. Not to forget that we hopefully wont be drafting top 3 next year.

We are in the great position of drafting #2 in a draft with 3 bluechip QBs at a time when we need a QB. That is not the kind of situation you overthink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryan Poles speaking at the combine. The #1 pick is available IMO……

Bears general manager Ryan Poles, to the dismay of many, did not reveal his "masterplan" as it relates to quarterback Justin Fields and the 2024 NFL Draft's No. 1 overall pick.

However, Poles outlined that if Chicago is to move on from the top pick for a second straight season, the cost would have to match that which the Panthers paid last year to the Bears.

"It's hard to say right now," Poles told reporters Tuesday at the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine, "but it's gotta help our organization significantly to move around, because we saw what it did last year. And I'm looking for that type of return ticket to improve our football team."

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Super Bowl weekend that the Bears would need a historic haul to trade the top pick again. Poles provided somewhat of a guideline, as he and Chicago received the ninth-overall pick in 2023, a second-round selection in 2023, a first-round pick in 2024 (which became said No. 1 overall choice), a second-round pick in 2025, and receiver DJ Moore for the 2023 No. 1 overall choice.

13 minutes ago, seamonster said:

Not a fan of Jayden Daniels. At all. Weak arm. Slender frame. Takes terrible hits and doesn't protect himself. Bails on clean pockets to run and take those terrible hits. I can't see him surviving in the NFL but he's the type of QB a SanFran exec typically gets steamed up for. Caleb Williams is a unicorn and is going to Chicago and they'd have give up too much draft capital to trade up... Drake Maye doesn't impress me either. Reminds me of a  poor-mans CJ Stroud that might scramble more. This almost feels like a situation where you could trade back, pick up more draft picks, grab a QB (Penix, Mcarthy) and patch the nine thousand holes they've got in the roster.

Dang

Heck of a way to lead off.

d10532ae9095eec64f5221c5b04d9c51.jpg.7f45777cb3f151e7148e41dd41483ef9.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Super Bowl weekend that the Bears would need a historic haul to trade the top pick again. Poles provided somewhat of a guideline, as he and Chicago received the ninth-overall pick in 2023, a second-round selection in 2023, a first-round pick in 2024 (which became said No. 1 overall choice), a second-round pick in 2025, and receiver DJ Moore for the 2023 No. 1 overall choice.

For the record, this is also the type of haul I would want to move off #2. Use this as a blue-print for the minimum deal I would accept from say, Atlanta.

I would want #8, #43, Kyle Pitts, a 2025 1st and a 2026 2nd, minimum. 

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

For the record, this is also the type of haul I would want to move off #2. Use this as a blue-print for the minimum deal I would accept from say, Atlanta.

I would want #8, #43, Kyle Pitts, a 2025 1st and a 2026 2nd, minimum. 

That isnt nearly enough.

Id want three 1s and thres 2s minimum to move down six spots.

And Id still probably say no.

The Bears can go from #1 to #2 and get a raft of picks from us. Then go again with say the Giants or Falcons.

Granted they have to pass on Williams, however the 2024-2026 draft capital they could acquire would be staggering in the process. All of those stud prospects on rookie deals for 4-5 years. But yes, they have to pass on Williams….

21 minutes ago, seamonster said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, seamonster said:

I agree whole heartedly, except with most of it. Daniels arm is good enough, it’s not weak, Daniels doesn’t bail out of clean pockets, he is a pocket passer that can run, and goes threw his reads probably better than any qb coming out. He does take some brutal hits and is quite slender. You are right on Maye, I’ve watched and watched him, so much to get excited about but a lot that induces vomit as well. Caleb is special, get him if possible, if not get McCarthy, he’s like Caleb Williams lite with a little bit of height.

Edited by mac8887
  • Haha 1

Was this posted yesterday, Greg Gabriel, linked to the Bears…

What I keep hearing now is people will be partially right and partially wrong on QB situation. Who knows what’s true. But what I’ve been told is Bears are looking to trade both #1 and JF and Draft one of the other QB’s after the trade down
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The Bears can go from #1 to #2 and get a raft of picks from us. Then go again with say the Giants or Falcons.

Granted they have to pass on Williams, however the 2024-2026 draft capital they could acquire would be staggering in the process. All of those stud prospects on rookie deals for 4-5 years. But yes, they have to pass on Williams….

Nice having 2 no.1's following the fleecing of Carolina the year before. Great moves on the Bears part and the reason we should not trade up. So many options?  

21 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Ryan Poles speaking at the combine. The #1 pick is available IMO……

Bears general manager Ryan Poles, to the dismay of many, did not reveal his "masterplan" as it relates to quarterback Justin Fields and the 2024 NFL Draft's No. 1 overall pick.

However, Poles outlined that if Chicago is to move on from the top pick for a second straight season, the cost would have to match that which the Panthers paid last year to the Bears.

"It's hard to say right now," Poles told reporters Tuesday at the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine, "but it's gotta help our organization significantly to move around, because we saw what it did last year. And I'm looking for that type of return ticket to improve our football team."

I don't think Poles gets what he wants.  I think he selects at #1.  As far as we (Washington) is concerned, Peters loves to build through the draft and I don't see it happening.  I think its Maye or Daniels for Washington.  

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Was this posted yesterday, Greg Gabriel, linked to the Bears…

What I keep hearing now is people will be partially right and partially wrong on QB situation. Who knows what’s true. But what I’ve been told is Bears are looking to trade both #1 and JF and Draft one of the other QB’s after the trade down

He's really going out on a limb here, isn't he?   :ols:

"Someone may be right. Someone may be wrong. Stuff will happen."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He's really going out on a limb here, isn't he?   :ols:

"Someone may be right. Someone may be wrong. Stuff will happen."

He’s an insider telling you he’s heard they are trading out of #1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That isnt nearly enough.

Id want three 1s and thres 2s minimum to move down six spots.

And Id still probably say no.

I would consider it, look at the Bears with 2 1's this year. Having 2 1's and 2 2's 3 years in a row? 

Just now, Est.1974 said:

He’s an insider telling you he’s heard they are trading out of #1

Yes, just like all of the "insiders" in 2019 who swore they were told that Arizona was looking to trade the #1 pick. Then they didn't and we found out they never intended to at all and were always going to take Murray. And Williams is a far better prospect than Murray was. I know you really want Williams, but I feel like you're setting yourself up for massive disappointment when it doesn't happen (and we find out they never were even shopping the pick).

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't think Poles gets what he wants.  I think he selects at #1.  As far as we (Washington) is concerned, Peters loves to build through the draft and I don't see it happening.  I think its Maye or Daniels for Washington.  

I think the build through the draft comment is being taken too literally. 

You trade away 3 high picks for Williams - that’s doesn’t  prevent us acquiring substantial talent via the next 3 drafts, or even this draft for that matter.

Wouldn’t acquiring our franchise QB in Williams be considered building through the draft ?

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yes, just like all of the "insiders" in 2019 who swore they were told that Arizona was looking to trade the #1 pick. Then they didn't and we found out they never intended to at all and were always going to take Murray. And Williams is a far better prospect than Murray was. I know you really want Williams, but I feel like you're setting yourself up for massive disappointment when it doesn't happen (and we find out they never were even shopping the pick).

At least we’ll get clarity in the next week, the Bears will make a clear move prior to free agency.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think the build through the draft comment is being taken too literally. 

You trade away 3 high picks for Williams - that’s doesn’t  prevent us acquiring substantial talent via the next 3 drafts, or even this draft for that matter.

I disagree.  Let's see how it plays out.  

Edited by RWJ