Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

My sense is he didn't want to get put in the box as strictly an "Air Raid" guy, especially given the negative connotation it seems to have with the media and fans.  But I would bet a lot of money we'll still see plenty of Air Raid concepts in his offense this year and beyond.  Much more so than we'll see WCO or Air Coryell concepts at least.  I'm sure it'll be a mix of a little of everything (including Spread), but I think it'll all be underpinned by Air Raid concepts.

I generally agree w/ that.

Just not enough to put a metric ton of confidence behind it if that makes sense.

• Like 1

I need the SEC to stop being stingy and go ahead and release their All 22's because 99% of people are just reviewing the same Daniels games over and over 😂😂 If I see one more film breakdown of the Alabama or FSU game I am going to lose my mind.

Texas A&M? Mizzou? Ole Miss? Auburn? Literally anything else but the same ones over and over and over please. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I know people are focused on the "Air Raid" comment Kingsbury made during his Q&A, but my take is that his comment was more of a defensive response than it was an indication of a complete change of offensive philosophy from him. 

My sense is he didn't want to get put in the box as strictly an "Air Raid" guy, especially given the negative connotation it seems to have with the media and fans.  But I would bet a lot of money we'll still see plenty of Air Raid concepts in his offense this year and beyond.  Much more so than we'll see WCO or Air Coryell concepts at least.  I'm sure it'll be a mix of a little of everything (including Spread), but I think it'll all be underpinned by Air Raid concepts.

Shallow cross is shallow cross whether you call it using WCO terminology or a picture of a donkey from the sideline 🙂

Its going to be interesting to see what the overall identity and philosophy is. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I know people are focused on the "Air Raid" comment Kingsbury made during his Q&A, but my take is that his comment was more of a defensive response than it was an indication of a complete change of offensive philosophy from him. 

I don't disagree with this. I think he knows how the NFL feels about it (simple gimmicky college system that doesn't work in the pros) and wanted to separate himself from it. Some teams use Air Raid concepts in the passing game but it is nothing like college and I think we'll do that with possibly some RPO mixed in. If we run spread though, we better fix up that offensive line ASAP.

But I am very curious about the offensive philosophy because Kingsbury, Brian Johnson, Bobby Johnson and Lynn all come from very different systems. I will say the offense worries me a lot more than the defense. 

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

The problem with building a team first and getting your QB later is you will probably end up with a middish round pick and not have the chance to select the very best QBs available. Sure  you may find a QB in the draft in later rounds that will work out or you may sign a good vet. But that rookie contract for QB's is huge. if you sign a good vet QB your really going to pay out the nose which trickles down to signing other players that may have helped. Having a chance to draft a really top level QB does not happen often.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

We’ve largely been the Jets for the last 30 years or so. 

Huge opportunity in front of us to take a swing at changing that.

Jet's took there swing and struck out with Wilson, just saying. Hope we have better luck.

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think any decisions have on any of the draft prospects one way or another will be made until after the combine.

ahhh, the Underwear Olympics. I like watching the combine but always wonder how much weight should be given to that weekend vs a season full of tape. If a player is faster than his tape shows, I think it should almost be a flag rather than a plus. Interviews that portray a player as likeable as opposed to how his locker room felt about him. It is a piece of the puzzle, and a great opportunity to watch a player in comparison to others at the same position, check their health and get a glimpse into their persona. But I do wonder how much credit the truly good evaluators place on that weekends numbers. Especially when we hear that player X is flying up the draft boards due to their combine performance. 

13 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I don't disagree with this. I think he knows how the NFL feels about it (simple gimmicky college system that doesn't work in the pros) and wanted to separate himself from it. Some teams use Air Raid concepts in the passing game but it is nothing like college and I think we'll do that with possibly some RPO mixed in. If we run spread though, we better fix up that offensive line ASAP.

But I am very curious about the offensive philosophy because Kingsbury, Brian Johnson, Bobby Johnson and Lynn all come from very different systems. I will say the offense worries me a lot more than the defense. 

Agree.  My gut says the offense next season will be high variance - either it'll mesh together really well and we'll be praising it this time next year, or it'll be an utter disaster with a mish mash of concepts that confuses the players and never looks like a professional operation - leading to a number of staff changes on offense a year from now.

2 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

ahhh, the Underwear Olympics. I like watching the combine but always wonder how much weight should be given to that weekend vs a season full of tape. If a player is faster than his tape shows, I think it should almost be a flag rather than a plus. Interviews that portray a player as likeable as opposed to how his locker room felt about him. It is a piece of the puzzle, and a great opportunity to watch a player in comparison to others at the same position, check their health and get a glimpse into their persona. But I do wonder how much credit the truly good evaluators place on that weekends numbers. Especially when we hear that player X is flying up the draft boards due to their combine performance. 

I should rephrase that to combine and private workouts but yeah, that's where all the interviews and everything will take place as well which are obviously instrumental to determining QB success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Bit of a letdown. The very first pass though accurate was a wobbly duck. Another was an up for grabs floater while he was being hit that Josh Downs made a great play on. Hard to believe either would rank as one of his top five throws.

I thought this was better

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I should rephrase that to combine and private workouts but yeah, that's where all the interviews and everything will take place as well which are obviously instrumental to determining QB success.

Wasn't intended as a challenge to your post, I got you were referencing the timing and not necessarily the outcome, I just used your post as a jumping off point since we've already hashed and rehashed the top 4 to death. It's a looooong wait on here until April lol.

2 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Jet's took there swing and struck out with Wilson, just saying. Hope we have better luck.

They got dazzled by a strong arm, off platform stuff and highlight reels and chose to ignore all the very obvious flaws with Wilson hoping they could "coach it out of him." And also a throw at his pro day (to be fair teams seemed to have learn their lesson because Malik Willis made that same throw during his pro day and still went in the 3rd round after Ridder)

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Wasn't intended as a challenge to your post, I got you were referencing the timing and not necessarily the outcome, I just used your post as a jumping off point since we've already hashed and rehashed the top 4 to death. It's a looooong wait on here until April lol.

I mean the interviews are important. 

How does Maye explain why his 2023 was worse than his 2022? What has he been doing to fix his footwork and tighten his throwing motion?

How does Daniels explain why he made a late leap and transferring from ASU? What has he been doing to add weight and protect himself?

They also go through individual plays with them at the combine and ask them to explain their decision or their reads and progressions. What they saw from the defense, why they missed a throw, why they decided to go deep, etc. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Using highlight videos to compare/analyze prospects is just terrible

Watching highlights of a QB we might draft is fun though and I'm pretty sure that's what's happening.

It's not like someone said I bet Daniels can't throw a wobbly off balance pass into double coverage and get lucky or I bet if Williams threw the ball in the air while getting sacked one of his receivers wouldn't be able to catch it.  :ols

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I need the SEC to stop being stingy and go ahead and release their All 22's because 99% of people are just reviewing the same Daniels games over and over 😂😂 If I see one more film breakdown of the Alabama or FSU game I am going to lose my mind.

Texas A&M? Mizzou? Ole Miss? Auburn? Literally anything else but the same ones over and over and over please. 

He still lit up Alabama before Dallas Turner got him with a cheap shot. Classic Saban tactic. 

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

How does Maye explain why his 2023 was worse than his 2022? What has he been doing to fix his footwork and tighten his throwing motion?

How does Daniels explain why he made a late leap and transferring from ASU? What has he been doing to add weight and protect himself?

They also go through individual plays with them at the combine and ask them to explain their decision or their reads and progressions. What they saw from the defense, why they missed a throw, why they decided to go deep, etc. 

Maye can apparently do no wrong. It’s all just shots taken at Daniels because we continue to post facts about his skill and success. 

• Haha 1

This take is def becoming the norm. Daniel Jeremiah put out a mock draft and basically said the only reason he has the Pats staying put is because he's not doing mocks with trades right now 

Just now, BayouBrave86 said:

He still lit up Alabama before Dallas Turner got him with a cheap shot. Classic Saban tactic. 

Oh I know. He had a good game before he had to leave, I would just love breakdowns of other games too

22 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

This take is def becoming the norm. Daniel Jeremiah put out a mock draft and basically said the only reason he has the Pats staying put is because he's not doing mocks with trades right now 

Seems like if that's true for NE then it's true for Washington too. No OL, 1 might-be-good RB (Robinson), 1 very good WR (Terry) and 1 might-be-good WR (Dotson) - that's it on offense.

But I still think we should and will draft Maye. I just don't think NE will agree with Miller's take, especially given the fractious QB room they've got now, guessing new staff would rather start fresh there too. Not saying NE will stay at #3, just think if they do trade down it won't be far (maybe as low as Vegas?) and they'll take a QB there (McCarthy/Nix). Don't see them waiting 2 more years (after weak 2025 QB class) to take another shot at franchise QB.

I think Mac Jones is as good as gone and if they keep Zappe it'll just be as 3rd stringer behind [rookie] and [vet backup]. Also worth noting NE has third (?) most cap space in league, can do same thing we're hoping for - restock OL in FA.

Edited by Dah-Dee

19 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

All so very true, especially the interview and physically to judge the progress of an athlete recovering from an injury. But it is just one piece of the overall puzzle that I feel is often overrated as a whole.

11 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Seems like if that's true for NE then it's true for Washington too. No OL, 1 might-be-good RB (Robinson), 1 very good WR (Terry) and 1 might-be-good WR (Dotson) - that's it on offense.

We have some talent on offense. The Pats have basically nothing. Its legit one of the worst offensive rosters I've ever seen.

9 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

But I still think we should and will draft Maye. I just don't think NE will agree with Miller's take, especially given the fractious QB room they've got now, guessing new staff would rather start fresh there too. Not saying NE will stay at #3, just think if they do trade down it won't be far (maybe as low as Vegas?) and they'll take a QB there (McCarthy/Nix). Don't see them waiting 2 more years (after weak 2025 QB class) to take another shot at franchise QB.

I think Mac Jones is as good as gone and if they keep Zappe it'll just be as 3rd stringer behind [rookie] and [vet backup].

Yeah I don't think they bypass QB at all. I think they go with a vet, trade down and draft someone later. Maybe they have identified a Purdy in this draft. Plus AVP is quite particular about what he wants out of his QB. 

Carolina last year is a big warning sign. They had nothing on offense and Young suffered greatly for it and the coach got fired. But then you could also have a situation like Stroud in Houston which nobody was expecting (their roster was ranked 30th before they drafted CJ). 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We have some talent on offense. The Pats have basically nothing. Its legit one of the worst offensive rosters I've ever seen.

Yeah we have a bad roster but we have Robinson, McLaurin and Dotson which is more than NE has.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I very, very, very much doubt these are the types of questions they would ask in an interview.  

From what I've heard about interviews, there are a couple different approaches, but they do try and get to know the player, and they also do some film work with them a lot of times. Have them walk through a play they ran, what they were seeing, when they saw it.  

There was one QB, I can't remember who, but it came out some team just asked him to recite a play call he had made in college.  And found out he never made a single play call in college.  Because it was that stupid "everybody look to the sideline and the coach signals in the play" thing they do in college.  So my guy (I don't remember who) could even call out "Spider 2 Y Banana" or something.  

The interviews are massively important because they allow the coaches to get to know the player, how the player processes information, what their demeanor is, and that type of thing.

I know the interviews at the combine are pretty short, but there are other opportunities to get to know the top prospects when they come visit the facility and at pro days.  

48 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I'd be shocked if that's what ends up happening.  And all the moron talking heads will get themselves in a lather.

If you're picking 3 and a blue chip QB is sitting there, you take them.  It's that simple.  You don't know where you're going to be picking or who you will be able to get down the road.  You need a QB, there is a blue chip prospect sitting there when you pick, you pick a QB.  

Way too much over-thinking by the talking head gang.  

7 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Absolutely this. We really aren’t desperate for a 4th rounder this year. And there is some ‘risk’ to trading Howell in terms of him looking good down the line.

I absolutely don't want to trade Howell for a 4th this year when he can be worth so much more next year after being coached. Quinn has 3 different coaches to work with the QB's this year. And if there is one thing that I fault Rivera for, it's not getting quality coaches here on offense and defense. And we're going to see my point this year when said NEW coaches start turning the underperformers and hand-full of scrub players we had to keep to fill roster spots, into hungry meat-eaters. 

I like Howell. I think he's got quite a bit of talent. But no friggin surprise he regressed last year after getting the ever-lovin **** kicked out of him almost every week as he stood tall in the pocket and tried to execute, with no run game to change the pace, or even to make the play-action believable. And EB just kept shoving him back in there with the same playbook every damn week to meet his fate in the lion's den. idiots!

If we draft Maye, which I think we will, I don't see it as a bad thing that Drake and Sam are friends. Quite the contrary in fact. they are both smart guys who played and will play in a similar offense to what they had in college. Any animosity will have been worked through long ago. I think they will push each other and feed off each other like any other intelligent athletes. And in the end, we are gonna see coaching the likes of which we haven't seen since Gibbs, Pettibone, Henning and Buges. And when it's all done, I believe we get much better than a 4th for Sam. 

I will preface my statement by saying I am not willing to bet anything on this because, like Sam Howell, I have been let down by this organization for so long and so thoroughly, that I only have blind homerism left. I HOPE that all changes this year.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1