Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

No way would I rank any of this year's QBs above Luck or Lawrence. 

He phrased it awkwardly, but he was saying “since 2012”, i.e. starting in 2013… so no Luck. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty

33 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Lol! Sorry I think I missed some of the talk this weekend. I mean who the best vet QB would be would definitely depend on what kind of offense we run. 

My assumption is the offense we run is going to be some RPO with some air raid concepts mixed in and maybe some WCO? I don't know. Thomas is the RPO guy, Kliff is Air Raid and Lynn? Not sure tbh. 

I really hope they shift to being under center because it really helped young QBs last season (Love got wayyyyyy better when they put him under center as opposed to spread/shotgun)

Jacoby is a FA so there's no guarantee he will come back here but yeah thats also an option. 

NFL teams league wide were in shotgun almost 70% of snaps. It was 66% in 2022. Take out goal line and short yardage snaps and it’s well over 70%.

I’d like to see more under center snaps as well - but it’s just not happening at the moment almost whatever offense you run. 49ers might be an outlier in that respect I’d bet they are on the high end of under center snaps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

NFL teams league wide were in shotgun almost 70% of snaps. It was 66% in 2022. Take out goal line and short yardage snaps and it’s well over 70%.

I’d like to see more under center snaps as well - but it’s just not happening at the moment almost whatever offense you run. 49ers might be an outlier in that respect I’d bet they are on the high end of under center snaps.

The league average was 70%? Wow, that seems extemely high.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

We have to see what we can get for him. Sitting behind Aaron might do him some good. Maybe we can get a 4th? Is that too optimistic?

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Allen needed more work than anyone Ive ever seen. He played. Lance sat and still sucked.

You get better by playing. And neither are big time projects that need years to fix their issues.

You can’t blow years off a rookie contract window by sitting the kid

LOL. Allen took a legendary amount of work and didn't start to become a very good QB until year 3.  It's very possible  he'd have gotten there quicker if they had just concentrated on working out his flaws rather than throwing him into playing right away.

How did sitting work out for Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes or Jackson? Your argument is basically that you wouldn't be happy getting that kind of career from a QB we drafted because we "wasted" a year of their rookie contract. 

Sadly many (including many shortsighted teams) would rather prioritize trying to win 7 or 8 game in year one, even if it's better for their QB's development to sit and work on mechanics for a while. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Ok, so here's my thought exercise of the day:

Teams who need to do something with their QB position for some reason:

Washington - Have none

New England - Have none

Giants - Have Daniel Jones, so could grab one

Atlanta Falcons - Have none ** they get negative points because of their lack of talent at backup QB.

Chicago Bears - Have the #1 pick

Minnesota Vikings - Kirk is a FA

Denver Broncos - Going to release Russell Wilson

Tampa Bay Bucs - Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker is a FA

Seattle Seahawks - Geno is just ok and expensive.  

Las Vegas Raiders - Suspended for 2 games Jimmy G. who's always hurt and not that good.

Pittsburgh - Picket is so "meh" and got hurt.  

QBs who should be available:

Justin Fields - Moved somewhere to make way for most likely Caleb Williams

Kirk Cousins - Will sign somewhere

Russell Wilson - Will sign somewhere unless he wants to retire and just travel with Ciara

Ryan Tannehill (and his still super hot wife) - Will sign somewhere as either a "gap" starter or the best backup in the league.  

Jacoby Brissett - Will sign somewhere as a "gap" starter or the second best QB in the league.

Joshua Dobbs - SOMEBODY needs to give this guy a shot at something, because he played ok for 3 teams with like a week of practice last year.  

Then there are a the bunch of FA QBs who will be backups and nobody wants to ever see them play: Mitch Trubisky, Tyrod Taylro, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold

Tyler Huntly, etc. etc. etc.  

There are so far, consensus 3 QBs you would think would be either immediate, or almost immediate, starters: Williams, Maye and Daniels.

So, who goes where:

I'll start with what I think are the 2 easy ones:

Chicago - Caleb Williams.  There will be a lot of chatter.  At the end of the day, they're just going to sit tight and pick Williams

Tampa Bay - Baker Mayfield.  He played well, he wants to stay, they'll pay him and he'll stay.

Washington/Patriots: Maye/Daniels at #2 and #3 in the draft.  In some order.  I still think it's going to be Maye/Daniels.  But it could be reversed.  

That leaves 2 definite starters available: Kirk and Fields.

Atlanta Falcons - Kirk Cousins.  The Falcons hired Zac Robinson as OC.  Robinson was the passing game coordinator/QB coach for the St. Louis Rams.  The Rams head coach is Sean McVay.  McVay coached Cousins here.  It's going to presumably be the same McVay system.  This makes all the sense in the world.  They have weapons, a running game, and an offense Kirk already knows, at least knows some of.  

So then, where oh where does Justin Fields land?

Pittsburg Steelers - Justin Fields.  I'm going to guess the "where there's smoke there's fire" thing is true and he lands in Pittsburgh.  The Bears would like to trade him out of conference. They're not trading with the Vikings.  The Raiders would be another possible landing spot. 

That leaves: Giants, Vikings, Broncos, Seahawks and Raiders.  

Giants - Just stick with Jones. They're stuck. Picking 6 is too high to pick the 4th QB in this class. I think they'll stay put and draft a tackle or something.  They'll also sign a vet backup.

Vikings - Picking 11.  This is a prime spot for a second tier QB, like McCarthy, Nix, etc.  Whoever grades out 4th.  

Seahawks - Stick with Geno, re-sign Locke, run it back and hope the defense is better. 

Broncos - the Broncos are truly screwed between having to take huge cap hits and picking 12th, behind the Vikings.  They'd have to trade up in front of them to get the 4th QB taken. Ick.  Their situation really stinks. They could be a landing spot for a vet if they could afford a second tier vet.  

Raiders - Even more screwed than the Broncos because they pick behind them. They might have no choice but to try and run it back with Jimmy.  Though I'm pretty sure they don't want to.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. Allen took a legendary amount of work and didn't start to become a very good QB until year 3.  It's very possible  he'd have gotten there quicker if they had just concentrated on working out his flaws rather than throwing him into playing right away.

How did sitting work out for Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes or Jackson? Your argument is basically that you wouldn't be happy getting that kind of career from a QB we drafted because we "wasted" a year of their rookie contract. 

Sadly many (including many shortsighted teams) would rather prioritize trying to win 7 or 8 game in year one, even if it's better for their QB's development to sit and work on mechanics for a while. 

Brady and Rodgers was before the rookie contract and Brady was a 6th rounder who nobody expected to start anyway.

Mahomes and Jackson were on teams with established quality veteran starting QBs already. Both probably would have been just fine starting from day one to be honest.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Brady and Rodgers was before the rookie contract and Brady was a 6th rounder who nobody expected to start anyway.

Mahomes and Jackson were on teams with established quality veteran starting QBs already. Both probably would have been just fine starting from day one to be honest.

Mahomes himself wouldn't even agree with that lol. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

You have literally nothing to base that on, and are in fact denying what those QBs and the people who worked with them thought. 

And I don't give a damn about rookie contract or who started over them. The point is that some (most?) of the best QBs of this era sat and believe doing so benefited their long-term careers. the idea of throwing that aside because "you gotta get something from them" from day one is just dumb. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ugh, no thanks.

The Washington Commanders sit with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft and the most salary cap space of any team in the league. It has been presumed that they will draft the second quarterback available — likely North Carolina's Drake Maye or LSU's Jayden Daniels — or maybe even get aggressive and trade with the Chicago Bears to select USC's Caleb Williams at No. 1 overall.

But what if they went a different route and reunited with an old friend?

Kirk Cousins, at 35 years old and coming off an Achilles tear, carries some significant red flags. He can’t be seen as the team’s starter for the next 10 years, even in an era where Tom Brady just showed that was attainable for players with a manic obsession for taking care of their bodies.

Cousins is, however, the clear top veteran option available, and when we last saw him at the NFL Honors, he was doing a dance number less than 100 days after tearing his Achilles.

Washington's roster features a lot of talent, particularly in the form of offensive weapons, that could turn things around quickly with a good quarterback. New coaches Dan Quinn and Kliff Kingsbury are potentially also better suited to a veteran at the position rather than the unknown of a rookie face of the franchise.

If the Commanders were to simply replicate the kind of deal Cousins coveted during his time in Minnesota — a three-year, fully guaranteed contract — it would make sense for both sides.

It would also free up the No. 2 overall draft pick and make Washington open for trade business.

Commanders_MDS.png

This is the Chris Collinsworth "look at me" type of crap PFF pulls which makes me despise them.  If they just stuck with analytics, it would be ok.  Their grades would still suck.  

But since Collinsworth took over, it's become a rats nest of stupidity.  And this is a prime example of that.  

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

So if the Jets offered a 4th round pick from Sam Howell would you say no? 

I would say no. He could help bring up the new #1 and whatever experience he can share with the starter would be worth more than a 4th rounder. Plus we need a quality backup. Also, if he spells the QB in a few games this season and plays well, his value would increase next year for QB-starved teams.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Like 5

Yeah since when are we now sitting the #2 overall pick QB.  And why do I feel like the only one terrified of Daniels because of major RG3 ptsd.  The things I read about him are verbatim RG3 scouting reports.  The only different word is the name... I know,  they're different people but hey...ptsd and all...but what do I know.  Seriously, I know I don't know much of anything when it comes to scouting QBs.  The media guys aren't perfect either.  Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady...I guess Purdy, Lamar...not only were they not top 2 picks, media guys weren't saying they were either.

It also sure feels like the media swerves have gotten way out of control vs past years.  A couple of these graphics showing mock scenarios are straight up click bait, borderline trolling.  It's easy right, have a weird opinion and people can't wait to click on it and argue.  Tale as old as the internet but man, this year seems worse.

I just dont wanna get cute.  I just want Maye.  Prototype big fella who can move.  It's a no brainer to me.  I heard about Maye 2 years ago. I've seen these changes in opinion and draft position without seeing any knocks on Maye, just potential positives for some other guys.  Media is bored. And everyone is media nowadays.  

I think the coming weeks will solidify what everyone knew already.  Maye is easily the #2.  Would be the #1 if not for Williams and honestly I'd be less suprised if Maye went to the Bears than if he dropped to some other team on some bull**** trade scenario. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Crazy stat…

Apparently this guy watched very little film, Because Daniels threw basically nothing to the far hash this season. I literally saw less than 5 opposite hashes in the film I watched. 

Just now, BurgundyBooger said:

I would say no. He could help bring up the new #1 and whatever experience he can share with the starter would be worth more than a 4th rounder. Plus we need a quality backup. Also, if he spells the QB in a few games and plays well, his value would increase for next year.

I mean, he was a 5th round pick and he is going into year 3 of his rookie contract. I don't think I understand deciding not to take a 4th for him 

If we start whichever QB we draft we would forego getting a 4th round pick just because Sam might be an ok backup? Can't we just find a cheap vet to be the backup with more experience than Sam?

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Just keep Jacoby and let Maye or Daniels be the back up. There is zero reason to get a Russ or Tannehill. 

Jacoby is a FA.  They would have to re-sign him, and he might/might not want to come back knowing he'd have almost no chance to start unless #2 got hurt or crapped the bed.  

I think Ron lied to him last year.  Said he would get a chance and then didn't.  He's smart enough to know with a #2 pick, he isn't getting a real shot.

He should go to Denver, NYG, Raiders or Vikings, where he would have a very real chance to play. 

48 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

Oh.... but there could be 😏

joe-flacco-flacco-fever.gif

I would normally find a witty animated gif to say "yeah - no."  But I'm going to be lazy and just say, "yeah - no."  Pretend there is a witty animated gif here.  

13 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Absolutely not. 

But that said, it opens a need for a backup QB you don't have if you keep him.

However, if they're going to sign a vet backup anyway, then he's expendable.  

Yeah I don't think I move Howell for a 4th.  If you can somehow get a person you think can start for the first 8 games while the rookie sits and learns, then grab em and you can deal Howell, but without that, you keep Howell and don't move him for less than a 2nd probably (which no one will pay).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is the Chris Collinsworth "look at me" type of crap PFF pulls which makes me despise them.  If they just stuck with analytics, it would be ok.  Their grades would still suck.  

But since Collinsworth took over, it's become a rats nest of stupidity.  And this is a prime example of that.  

Could not agree more with everything you say.

20 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

id try to get something extra in 2025, but if we go qb at 2 and dont trade down id be welcome to negotiate any trades. wed need to keep jacoby though

Edited by dunfer