Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

45 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

The Clemson team with Lawrence beat Bama for a national title and all evaluators look at how a player performs against elite talent. I wouldn't call the Pac 10 sub-par; it's still a Power 5 school. Herbert was a top 5 pick that turned out better than expected. I didn't say Maye wasn't a top prospect. Allen is a unicorn physically, and Love sat for 4 years.

It's a crap shoot, and I don't claim anyone can't miss it.  The ultimate question is what type of system you run and who you think fits best.  

Yeah that Clemson team was also littered with 5 ️ recruits and first round/second draft picks.  Seeing as how bad Tez Walker looked at the Senior Bowl, there might not be another Tarheel drafted until round 3.  

You scoffed at Maye’s stats this year, but he also had an insane redshirt freshman year with 4,321 yards, 38 TDs and 7 ints.  And it’s not like he was surrounded with 2 1st round WRs then either.  Those stats as a RS Freshman are waaaayyy more impressive to me than Daniels’ RS Seniors stats regardless of the conference!

8 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

You act like those are the only bad hits he took in college. He was pummeled repeatedly And has no idea how to protect himself. Not saying he cant learn how to do that. But he hasnt shown any interest in doing it all. And with his frail frame thats not gonna work in the NFL. I have gone back and watched a lot more film on Daniels since some of the recent mocks have us taking him at two. I still dont see it. He is a good player. But his arm is suspect and he was saved repeatedly by outstanding WR play. And his body is not just concerning. It is a serious problem at the next level imo. He has no ability to throw to the opposite hash at all. He just doesnt have the arm to risk it reliably. Again, I wouldnt necessarily hate Daniels at 3 if both Caleb and Maye are gone. But I cant stand him at 2.

Yeah. The second one isn't much. But that first one is the kind of thing that is so troubling with him. There is nothing really remarkable about the hit itself. It's late, of course, but look how his head whiplashes and he goes down awkwardly. 

The guy just can't take hits. With his body type and the amount he needs to run to be remotely effective, it is just becoming mind-numbing to see how people want to ignore this stuff. 

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I've watched and talked about sports for a number of years and I should be used to the blind spots people willingly take when they decide to like a player/prospect. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Falcons, Vikings and Raiders seem set to try. Not sure who the other two teama might be. 

Also Cousins, Wilson and Fields will end up somewhere. I kind of think one of them might end up in Pittsburgh and another in Carolina (likely Wilson)

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah. The second one isn't much. But that first one is the kind of thing that is so troubling with him. There is nothing really remarkable about the hit itself. It's late, of course, but look how his head whiplashes and he goes down awkwardly. 

The guy just can't take hits. With his body type and the amount he needs to run to be remotely effective, it is just becoming mind-numbing to see how people want to ignore this stuff. 

But I guess I shouldn't eb surprised, I've watched and talked about sports for a number of years and I should be used to the blind spots people willingly take when they decide to like a player/prospect. 

"The guy just can't take hits" literally makes zero sense when you're talking about someone who has never been seriously injured, never even missed 2 games, and played 4 and a half years of college ball against actual NFL caliber players. Do you see why that makes no sense to say? He clearly can take the hits and has been durable and just fine. Do people think repeating this will somehow reverse time and give him serious injuries like RG3 had in college or something?

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

"The guy just can't take hits" literally makes zero sense when you're talking about someone who has never been injured and played 4 and a half years of college ball. Do you see why that makes no sense to say? 

Hes gonna face grown men in the NFL, not 18-20 year olds. 

• Like 5

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Hes gonna face grown men in the NFL, not 18-20 year olds. 

You mean like Will Anderson Jr who he faced last year when they played Alabama (and won against) and who just won Defensive Rookie of the Year for the Texans?

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Falcons, Vikings and Raiders seem set to try. Not sure who the other two teama might be. 

Also Cousins, Wilson and Fields will end up somewhere. I kind of think one of them might end up in Pittsburgh and another in Carolina (likely Wilson)

I think people are going to be surprised with how aggressive the Broncos will be to land their QB. People forget how aggressive the Saints were year after year with Payton at the helm (people mostly forget because they already had their QB). And Payton is going to do everything in his power to get his next franchise QB. Dude is in perpetual win-now mode. 

Also wouldn’t be surprised to see the Giants or Titans take a shot.  I doubt they truly believe Jones/Levis is the answer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think people are going to be surprised with how aggressive the Broncos will be to land their QB. People forget how aggressive the Saints were year after year with Payton at the helm (people mostly forget because they already had their QB). And Payton is going to do everything in his power to get his next franchise QB. Dude is in perpetual win-now mode. 

Also wouldn’t be surprised to see the Giants or Titans take a shot.  I doubt they truly believe Jones/Levis is the answer. 

Allbright is pretty plugged in to the Broncos and he has repeatedly shot down any talk of them trading up though.  He seems pretty positive they won't do it. He keeps hinting that they like Pratt and would take him

I kind of think the Titans run it back with Levis but we'll see.

Edited by ThatNFLChick

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Allbright is pretty plugged in to the Broncos and he has repeatedly shot down any talk of them trading up though.  He seems pretty positive they won't do it. 

I’ve read Allbright’s tweets as well. Seems like more of a “lack of assets” issue more so than a lack of willingness. I think they will try their hardest to trade up to the top 3 with the assets they have, and if that doesn’t work, I expect them to draft Nix or McCarthy (with a potential mini trade up). 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I'm not commenting on the "he had good WRs" stuff anymore lol. Its pointless.

Yall will say "he had good WRs" while also not acknowledging the strength of schedule and level of competition he played against. 

When you watch the film and see how ridiculously wide open his WRs are against that tough competition, it matters.

Not to mention all the times those stud WRs padded his stats by taking a simple pass to the house.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I mean, Levis is a born gambler. Maybe his team is as well.  The odds of him turning into a top 10 QB are probably similar to the odds here:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

When you watch the film and see how ridiculously wide open his WRs are against that tough competition, it matters.

Not to mention all the times those stud WRs padded his stats by taking a simple pass to the house.  

Since there is not a single metric to support this I assume you are making this up?

20240210_161404.jpg

Also lets just go ahead and kill the myth about this WR class being YAC monsters. It is NOWHERE NEAR the level of previous 1st round receiving classes

20240210_161500.jpg

Edited by ThatNFLChick

21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, Levis is a born gambler. Maybe his team is as well.  The odds of him turning into a top 10 QB are probably similar to the odds here:

He had a weird year. 

He had that insanely good game where he threw for 4 TDs. Then his next two games he had 0 and <60% completion percentage. Super inconsistent but he didn't begin the season as a starter so I bet they give him a full offseason and then season to see what he has (similar to what we just did for Howell)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Drake is interesting off platform.  He's really high variance.  It's some of his best work and some of his worst at the same time.  He doesn't aways align his feet-shoulder to the target on the move and his mechanics can be off.  But then he also has some killer throws off platform. 

He is so comfortable abandoning his mechanics, which as you outlined comes w/ a lot of good and a lot of bad... unless your Mahomie or WIlliams.

I swear, given his comfort level and style of play I can practically guarantee this dude has thrown a left handed pass at some point in a game.

46 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

"The guy just can't take hits" literally makes zero sense when you're talking about someone who has never been seriously injured, never even missed 2 games, and played 4 and a half years of college ball against actual NFL caliber players. Do you see why that makes no sense to say? He clearly can take the hits and has been durable and just fine. Do people think repeating this will somehow reverse time and give him serious injuries like RG3 had in college or something?

Everything you are saying makes sense but you CAN see how similar the two of them look to people, right? 

I wanna take Daniels personally. So not against the idea. But come on, we saw this once before. I remember watching Griffin get crunched and holding my breath. And he always got back up too. Until he didn’t. And, again, not blaming his play style or anything. Just reminding you we literally watched this once 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

LOL. If I had a nickel for every time that gif or clip of Daniels getting hit from the Ole Miss game has been posted in this thread I would be rich. It honestly makes me think people are only watching Twitter clips because its the same two things posted over and over and over again out of a multiple game sample. 

One thing left out of the conversation is that LSU had an absolutely horrible defense this year. One of the worst in the SEC. Without Jayden Daniels there is absolutely no way that team wins as many games as they did. The constant pressure on the offense to score was absurd. When the conversation is about "having to put a team on their back" IMO only one QB did that consistently. Even the Ole Miss game (they lost but he put them in position to win, all Hilton had to do was catch the ball)

Speaking for myself.  I spent a lot of time on Daniels.  lol, i was the dude who really pushed him hard on this thread before you did it.  i did it at a period where I thought we'd be picking 3rd or 4th.  Assumed then Maye was out of reach.  So i thought that was the dude we'd be shopping for.  And if we were picking then, he'd still be my guy.   But even then I couldn't argue there wasnt some boom-bust to his game and much of that involved his durability.  We aren't actually going on some weird limb on it, most of Daniels advocates in the draft community accede its a real concern.

I still like Daniels.  I wouldn't take him at #2 though.   But I am fine if they did. 

My positon on him as a player hasn't changed much.   Even when i was trying to sell him hard here I couldn't argue about his slim build, he doesn't protect himself well and some of his hits look pretty bad.  I get there aren't a ton of those hits where Jayden comes off like he's hit by a freight train.  But at the same time having watched a lot of college QBs over the years, I can't recall QBs who bounce off defenders that violently.   And that's college.  Imagine in the NFL where you got bigger and faster dudes?

Dudes that run tend to get hurt.  Richardson is a big dude and he got knocked out.  I was at the game when RG3 got battered by Cincy, it was painful to watch.  It's not really debatable that a QB that runs to that extent that Daniels did in college if he does the same in the NFL is more likely to get hurt versus QBs who do not run nearly as much.   Yeah anything is possible.  You can get hurt anytime.  But QBs who run a ton put themselves in harms way more.

Look when I pushed Jayden, I was good at assuming that risk.  But that risk I felt the whole time is real.  if you told me right now, Daniels can run for 1000 plus yards a season and has little chance to get hurt -- sign me up.  But i don't think that's the case.  Not because of a contest between Maye-Daniels as to who I like better.  It's purely about Daniels in a vacuum.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

My main issue with Fields is that I am against trading away assets for a QB when we can draft one and I don't think he has improved enough (especially when it comes to processing, he might be slower than Howell) to justify giving up anything for him. 

Well the trade off is that you can then get more picks moving out of #2.

However, I don’t want this to sound like I strongly want a move for Fields😂. We’ve got options. My least favourite is Maye at #2 which is why I keep looking at alternatives.

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Everything you are saying makes sense but you CAN see how similar the two of them look to people, right? 

I wanna take Daniels personally. So not against the idea. But come on, we saw this once before. I remember watching Griffin get crunched and holding my breath. And he always got back up too. Until he didn’t. And, again, not blaming his play style or anything. Just reminding you we literally watched this once 

I actually understand how people can be hesitant because of RG3, I do get that, but RG3 tore his achilles in college. He had an actual significant injury history to consider. We weren't guessing he would get hurt, he actually got hurt before he even made it to the NFL. 

Daniels has to protect himself better. He has to and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Since he has shown considerable ability to learn and improve across the board, I don't have much hesitancy with this either. He already improved from 22 to 23. I guess what I don't get is wringing our hands about what *might could possibly maybe happen* even though it hasn't happened yet at all despite him playing a ton of college ball. I understand its about projection but IMO of all the issues that QBs come in with, this one is fixable and he's already shown improvement. 

Drake Maye isn't my top choice but I don't really criticize him on sacks because its something he has obviously been able to clean up from 22 to 23 and shown improvement.

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Since there is not a single metric to support this I assume you are making this up?

20240210_161404.jpg

Also lets just go ahead and kill the myth about this WR class being YAC monsters. It is NOWHERE NEAR the level of previous 1st round receiving classes

20240210_161500.jpg

Yep, just making it up…

YAC numbers according to PFF.   #2 ans #5 ranked WRs to PFF.   Lacy doesn't qualify because he's not in this draft.

Those are three killer good Wrs, Daniels has.  He also had good protection for the most part. 

I think Daniels can be a good QB.    Context though matters especially comparing him with Maye is that's the decision.  Daniels had much working in his favor.  Maye had crap to work with this year.

I've probably watched 7 games give or take of both QBs, 3 times more or less.  Both QBs are enticing IMO for different reasons.  Daniels though to me is the bigger risk.  If they take him though, cool.  Will see.

Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 5.00.12 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

Yep, just making it up…

Lol, ahh yes, highlights compared to actual analytics and metrics.

And if we want to get real technical about this?

The 2022 season that this board raves about from Maye is one where he played in the easiest offense in college that doesn't require you to be able to read a defense, he had Downs (who just broke the Colts rookie receiving record) and he only played against ONE ranked team (and in that game had 2 INTs). The easiest, most cupcake schedule of almost every QB in this class....just happened to be his best season. 

Screenshot_20240210_165742_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by ThatNFLChick

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Denver and maybe Pittsburgh 

Lol yeah highlights bc in those highlights you can clearly see Nabers and especially Thomas Jr.  running with 5+ yards of separation past the nearest defender or coming down with a 50-50

balls, or taking a underthown ball to the house.  Sure there a couple nice passes, but im personally way more impressed with the WRs.  

I guarantee you Tez or any other UNC wr don’t have highlight reels like those two or Lacey!

Edited by ST_DaGoat21
  • Like 2