Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Those things don’t go together though.

The moment we got embarrassed by Tommy Devito in FedEx, vacation plans started getting made.  After the embarrassment to Dallas, those plans got confirmed.  Once that happens, it’s over for everybody.

perhaps you are right.  maybe i am wishing for the impossible.... if i had to pick one way this should go.. i guess i am hoping for us to lose out.  Tired of meaningless wins of previous seasons...

I am just ready to focus more on our GM and HC search... LFG!

14 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, for those of us who don't have the game, was Howell pulled or did he get hurt?

Pulled, from what I can tell. 

I’ve been all-in on Howell. But he’s on a rough rough stretch. Losing out and having Howell play well might have been wishful thinking. Brissett coming in and looking good is tough too. 

QB very well could be in play now. Hopefully we play ourselves into a position to draft one and not hve to trade up if that’s what we choose to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’ve been all-in on Howell. But he’s on a rough rough stretch. Losing out and having Howell play well might have been wishful thinking. Brissett coming in and looking good is tough too. 

QB very well could be in play now. Hopefully we play ourselves into a position to draft one and not hve to trade up if that’s what we choose to do. 

Sam gets too many balls tipped. It’s kind of ridiculous. I guess it’s because he’s only 6’?

Edited by dunfer

Today didn't change my perception of Howell much.  I still like him, but am interested in 3 QB's (Williams, Maye, and Daniels) if available.   All in all, I am still happy with Howell this season.   Likewise I still think he has to get rid of the ball quicker.  I think sacks are more of a QB stat than O-Line stat (though its close between the two) and I think Howell is just a little slow with his reads.   But a bad day doesn't change the picture.  I am still starting Howell next week if I am the coach without any second thought.

10 minutes ago, dunfer said:

Sam gets too many balls tipped. It’s kind of ridiculous. I guess it’s because he’s only 6’?

Thats part of it.  The other part of it was our interior gets pushed back.   We need more size back there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I am still starting Howell next week if I am the coach without any second thought.

I agree with this, but only because I want to lose out. Unfortunately, Howell has looked worse against better defenses the last few weeks and in an apples to apples comparison looked significantly worse than Brisett. Can’t blame the o line, can’t blame the offense. In fact, LT and C were out so it was even worse. Didn’t bail, stayed in and made throws. He’s a high end backup. Howell can still grow and improve but I find it higher improbable he will grow into a top 10 QB in the next 2 years and isn’t worth paying marking starting QB money for. 

We have to draft our answer and thank god we should keep pick 3 or 4 and hopefully can do it. Maybe we luck out and Arizona or Patriots help us out and win.

The only positive from today was we lost.

If Rivera tries to install Brisett to win a few meaningless games I will scream. I would fully support Harris not allowing him to do that and sabotage this teams future. A real GM wouldn’t let him do that either, but we don’t have a GM.

Edited by seantaylor=god
Additional thought.

27 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

In all honesty, if he was playing well, they wouldn’t lose out. 

It would be dumb not to put him back in. 

He needs to develop. There is still a chance he is the QB of the future. Brissett is a nothing going forward as far as this organization is concerned. 

The only reason to bench Sam is to hope to win a meaningless game and screw up the draft pick. 

Now, if they said they wanted to get a look at what Jake Fromm could do next week, I'm all for it. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, for those of us who don't have the game, was Howell pulled or did he get hurt?

Benched

13 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It would be dumb not to put him back in. 

He needs to develop. There is still a chance he is the QB of the future. Brissett is a nothing going forward as far as this organization is concerned. 

The only reason to bench Sam is to hope to win a meaningless game and screw up the draft pick. 

Now, if they said they wanted to get a look at what Jake Fromm could do next week, I'm all for it. 

I'm not at all saying brisset is the future, but I bet a lot of people said geno was a nothing to. I wouldn't write off brisset or Sam to maybe starting somewhere next year.

11 minutes ago, Drock_VB said:

Wonder what Brissett would look like at this point if he had been the starter all year.   Almost 60 sacks and running for his life.  Not sure he would be any better .   The mental stress knowing it’s a jailbreak almost every snap takes it toll. 

Yeah not sure. He didn’t really look under pressure this game when he went in. He looked demonstrably better than Sam. Sam can grow and improve but it was pretty clear he’s not as good as a career journeyman/high end back up/dirty starter right now. It was a bad day for folks hoping Sam is the long term answer. We only have him for 2 more seasons so we kind of need to figure it out.

6 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I'm not at all saying brisset is the future, but I bet a lot of people said geno was a nothing to. I wouldn't write off brisset or Sam to maybe starting somewhere next year.

I have less than zero interest in starting a 32 year old Jacoby Brissett and hoping he becomes Geno Smith 2.0.

I can't imagine almost anyone wants that. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I have less than zero interest in starting a 32 year old Jacoby Brissett and hoping he becomes Geno Smith 2.0.

I can't imagine almost anyone wants that. 

Me to I don't want Sam or jacoby to start next year, I'm just saying don't write anyone off, you never know in this league

That one hurt. I've been team Howell all season. Brissett made it obvious how slow Howell is with his reads. 

I haven't fully given up on Howell. I've seen how high his ceiling can be, but also how low the floor can be. Right now he's giving off Wentz vibes.  

Hopefully today he will learn a little from the veteran. If you're best receiver is one on one, you got to throw it. I'm still giving him the season, but man it's not looking good. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Drock_VB said:

Wonder what Brissett would look like at this point if he had been the starter all year.   Almost 60 sacks and running for his life.  Not sure he would be any better .   The mental stress knowing it’s a jailbreak almost every snap takes it toll. 

I have been all in for Howell the whole season but the offense looked like a real NFL offense once Howell was out. And Terry almost doubled his yearly touchdown total so that can't be ignored. Brissett looked like he used the pocket better and it looked like he was more respected by the defense. Maybe the jailbreak offensive line all season was because of the lack of respect for Howell to make quick decisions.

Again, it was basically garbage time but it still looked good. As of now, I would draft a top QB and keep both Howell and Brissett. You're looking at an awesome QB room and you can trade Howell or Brissett if need be down the line.

• Like 1