Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Actually pretty much all of the playoff contender type teams have one...

Chiefs: Kelce

Dolphins: Hill

Bengals: Chase

Bills: Diggs

49ers: McCaffery and Samuel

Eagles: Brown

Lions: St. Brown(Gibbs could be too)

Cowboys: Lamb

Vikings: Jefferson(though he's hurt at the moment)

Seahawks: Metcalf(Walker could be too)

Saints: Kamara(possibly Olave)

The only ones that don't are the Ravens and Jaguars. For the Ravens Lamar is such a game changer that he kinda is the team's de facto A1. Jags I think Etienne is kinda on his way there but not quite yet.

In today's NFL it’s imperative not only to have a good QB but to have that omega weapon that can just take over a game. Someone who can win you a game without having to rely 100% on scheme/execution all the time.

I’d argue that several if not all of the players you’ve listed can and have been completely shutdown and factored out of games, on numerous occasions.

But good teams that are well coached generally find other ways to be successful when that occurs.

As sad as it is to say, Terry has exhibited the alpha traits you speak of in the past - only he did it with a QB like TH.  Not because TH was good, in fact - the opposite.  He’d just heave the ball in his general direction and he’d go up and get it.  We just don’t see that emphasis to force feed him the ball.

Of course I’d rather have Jefferson, Hill or Kelce who are just absolute nightmares to defend.  I just think we could get a lot more out of Terry if emphasized to do so.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

That honest nfl gotta be a record for post length. 🤣

You'll be quizzed on all the positions responsibilities for those 2 play variations very soon. Quizzed just like Sam probably is on the entire playbook.

Look for a DM to your Vunderleck quiz soon /s

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’d argue that several if not all of the players you’ve listed can and have been completely shutdown and factored out of games, on numerous occasions.

But good teams that are well coached generally find other ways to be successful when that occurs.

As sad as it is to say, Terry has exhibited the alpha traits you speak of in the past - only he did it with a QB like TH.  Not because TH was good, in fact - the opposite.  He’d just heave the ball in his general direction and he’d go up and get it.  We just don’t see that emphasis to force feed him the ball.

Of course I’d rather have Jefferson, Hill or Kelce who are just absolute nightmares to defend.  I just think we could get a lot more out of Terry if emphasized to do so.

Yeah definitely felt like we got Terry the ball more last year. He doesn't have a single 100 yard game this year when he had four last year.

But in his career he's never had more than 130 yards in a game and has only had one two TD game. He just doesn't TAKE OVER games very often if ever.

I still love the guy, and he's playing through turf toe this year, but I'd look to add another real weapon next to him.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah definitely felt like we got Terry the ball more last year. He doesn't have a single 100 yard game this year when he had four last year.

But in his career he's never had more than 130 yards in a game and has only had one two TD game. He just doesn't TAKE OVER games very often if ever.

I still love the guy, and he's playing through turf toe this year, but I'd look to add another real weapon next to him.

Terry usually makes the contested catches which you don't get with just an average WR. Another thing I love about Terry is that he not afraid to make blocks. I would love to see another big receiver compliment his game.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It’s hard to take over a game as a WR, when your QBs are Haskins, Keenum, Gilbert Grape, Alex Smith, Wentz, TH, Colt McCoy, Kyle Allen, etc.

What I haven’t seen this year is an emphasis to force feed him the ball, outside of one brief stretch where he caught everything meant for him.  He does have a few drops that are uncharacteristic and costly.  I just think he’s a guy that you are paying to be an alpha, who is capable of playing like one, we just don’t make it a point of the offense.  Additionally, I don’t think our OL is doing him any favors as opposing defenses don’t have to worry about getting beat deep, so they can sit on the short and intermediate routes that we have to run.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Actually pretty much all of the playoff contender type teams have one...

Chiefs: Kelce

Dolphins: Hill

Bengals: Chase

Bills: Diggs

49ers: McCaffery and Samuel

Eagles: Brown

Lions: St. Brown(Gibbs could be too)

Cowboys: Lamb

Vikings: Jefferson(though he's hurt at the moment)

Seahawks: Metcalf(Walker could be too)

Saints: Kamara(possibly Olave)

The only ones that don't are the Ravens and Jaguars. For the Ravens Lamar is such a game changer that he kinda is the team's de facto A1. Jags I think Etienne is kinda on his way there but not quite yet.

In today's NFL its imperative not only to have a good QB but to have that omega weapon that can just take over a game. Someone who can win you a game without having to rely 100% on scheme/execution all the time.

Tampa had another model during the stint with Brady where they really didn't have an omega weapon. They were just stacked everywhere with guys that fell just underneath the elite category.

Evans, Godwin and an older AB at receiver

Gronk and Brate at TE (people forget Brate was killing it before Gronk got there)

Fournette at RB

We could try to do the same thing this offseason assuming we can fix the line also.

1 hour ago, method man said:

Tampa had another model during the stint with Brady where they really didn't have an omega weapon. They were just stacked everywhere with guys that fell just underneath the elite category.

Evans, Godwin and an older AB at receiver

Gronk and Brate at TE (people forget Brate was killing it before Gronk got there)

Fournette at RB

We could try to do the same thing this offseason assuming we can fix the line also.

Uhh they literally had two A1 guys in Evans and Gronk lolol. And that isn't even counting AB.

22 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Watching the QB School breakdown, it’s pretty obvious the turf toe is impacting Terry the way he’s running certain routes.  They simply aren’t as clean as we’ve come to expect from him.  He’s definitely compensating some.

That's my theory as well. He usually doesn't have this kinda trouble getting open. And when you're in pain, you're more likely to make mental mistakes like dropping passes or running the wrong route.

I'm not saying to get rid of Terry. I'm saying lets get another weapon to compliment him. 

7 hours ago, zCommander said:

What is it that Allen can do that no other QBs can do? Not even Mahomes as well?

Allen has the strongest arm I have ever seen. Go look up the 30 yard sideline rope he threw in the 3rd quarter yesterday. No one else on earth can make that throw. Plus his size and rushing ability are top notch as well. He is having turnover issues right now though. 

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not even sure I'd classify McLaurin as great. I think he's good, at times very good,  but he never completely dominates a game the way a real great WR does. He got completely shutdown by a rookie in WItherspoon(granted a talented rookie, but still). I'm not a McLaurin hater, he's a good WR, but he's not an A1 alpha dawg.

Agree. But imagine him as a number 2 across from a true alpha dog. Mike Evans will be available this off season most likely. And he is still dominating the league. Would love to have him for 2-3 years until we can draft his replacement. 

Went back and watched Howell cut ups from Seattle game. What is really starting to stand out about him is he is getting more confident in directing the recievers. On busted plays, which there are many, you can see him directing his recievers to where he wants them to go. This wasn't there early in the year but watching how more confident he is now is great to see. Really excited to watch him grow, once he gets to the point that he can recognize coverages etc I think he's going to be really good.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

For a team who announced prior to the draft that they would be drafting a developmental QB I have no idea why they waited until the 5th round. Glad it worked out but what a stupid risk to take.  

They had spent $28 mil and picks on Wentz so to get a QB in the earlier rounds was not a high priority. Ron even had to call Wentz on draft (right before the pick) to assure him that they are taking Howell and is for developmental reasons only. 

If Ron had the balls he would have not traded for Wentz and told Dan go to hell and drafted Sam in the 1st round instead. But then again Ron only learned after he saw Howell play in the Cowboys game last year that he might be a legit QB. So maybe the scouting dept should have done a better job. But at least he was on his draft board so I guess he at least gets a little credit for that and actually selecting him. 

We got lucked out big time with Howell too. Belichick selected Zappe just a couple of picks before us. Could you image if Howell had landed in New England and playing the way he is for us, he would have been even in a better situation up there. I am sure the Pats fan would have thought they found their next big QB after Brady. Count your blessing that he is not a Patriot. We would have been like why Ron is so stupid to pass up on Howell like that. 

• Thumb up 1

Great QB School video, everybody here needs to take the 25 minutes and watch that video. Helped me appreciate a little more what EB's doing, when things are obviously going wrong, when Howell is creating out of structure and when he's ignoring the structure when he shouldn't. Great video, very educational and JT O'Sullivan does a great job of dumbing things down enough without being patronizing. He is gonna be a football content star. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Allen has the strongest arm I have ever seen. Go look up the 30 yard sideline rope he threw in the 3rd quarter yesterday. No one else on earth can make that throw. Plus his size and rushing ability are top notch as well. He is having turnover issues right now though. 

Okay so if Allen is so good then how come he got his OC fired lol

Howell jumps in the air and twists his body the other way to make a great throw and very few QB are able to do that as well. You have to have really strong arm to do that. Allen is not the only one with a strongest arm either. 

Every QB has a thing or two they can do but that doesn't make them a great QB or better than someone else who can't do that one throw. Consistently putting up numbers is what matters the most. More completions and TDs and less INTs is the key. 

Howell can also rush and will take down defenders down while doing such and is harder to take down. Even though the ball got ripped out of his hand on that run on Sunday but look at how many defenders tried to bring him down before that happened 

Here is a great throw that probably no other QB can do as well. (in the second video)

I could go on. But you get the point, hopefully. 

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Josh Dobbs literally came in not knowing the playbook at all and engineered a game winning TD drive and a week later lit up a good Saints defense. WITHOUT Justin Jefferson to boot.

One more thing: Josh Dobbs moonlights as a rocket scientist. He's one of the smartest players in the league.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1