Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

51 minutes ago, Brown43 said:

I'm with you.  If he was a higher draft pick people would be singing his praises but you have those lazy so called evaluators that look at the draft status instead of what gets put on film.

Which is why Sam Howell was the 32nd ranked starting qb at the beginning of the season

• Thanks 1

I think the receivers are severely hampered by the fact we can’t do anything more than quick game and 3-step drops because the OL can’t sustain or run block effectively. 

I think we need a big bodied possession guys regardless. But I think Dotson and McLaurin are fine, too. 

OL is a must upgrade spot. Code red. So is LB. 

Wide receiver isn’t far off if you’re talking about a big target (which could be a tight end, too)

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Sam Howell is playing better than Josh Allen right now. And no I am not saying I would take him over Allen. Just pointing out that all QB's struggle at times. 

Except Allen didn't start showing he is the man until his junior year. This year Allen has one more TD than Howell. They both have 9 INTs before MNF. Howell is doing things his 1st year as a starter that Allen started doing his 3rd year. I would take Howell over Allen based on the fact that Howell has also been sacked 44+ times and had to do more behind our wonderful OL and is still standing upright. You have to be real special if you can do that. 

Edit: Allen threw 2 INTs on MNF. So now has 11 INTs. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If you were starting a team right now would you take Sam Howell or Brock Purdy?

I think they are both winners but I would take Howell because of his improvisation and because he's built like a tank and will hopefully not get injured that much.

Purdy already got injured and really crapped the bed in the playoff game against Philly, which he also got injured in.

• Like 3

Not only do we not have #1-4, we're probably bottom 5 in all of those categories.

Even our WR corps is overrated. They're okay, maybe slightly above average, but none of them ever dominate.

Hurts took off when he got Brown. Allen took off when he got Diggs. Tua took off when he got Hill. We need THAT kind of WR.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If you were starting a team right now would you take Sam Howell or Brock Purdy?

Howell. Don’t even need to get into physical skill-set (where I also prefer Howell!). Because I already know how Howell plays without having the advantages of Kyle Shanahan, top of the league TE, RB, and WR talent, and an elite defense in a stable, elite organization. I don’t know that about Purdy. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

There actually were some plays when the receivers were open only for the pass pro to not hold up quite long enough. There were also some other plays when the pass pro did hold up, and when a receiver actually did get open, only for Howell to not see him (particularly in the middle of the field). I am VERY optimistic about Howell, but he does still have some work to do; he was actually a bit too quick to bail and/or come off a read at times. We do need to upgrade the OL so as to give both Howell and his pass catchers a better shot. Hopefully Howell can continue to improve throughout the remainer of the season.

Edited by TheItalianStallion

1 hour ago, davo said:

Does Sam have a shot at the Pro Bowl if he keeps this form up?

Based on stats, hell yeah. However the team is a mess, if we were 7-3 I think he would definitely be in the running, with our win/loss record I dont think so. Punters can get nominated on a crap team (see Tress Way), Im not sure a QB would.

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He IMO is the team.  He's their best chance every game.  

I believe you’re correct. 
now if this is true, at the moment, shouldn’t he be considered for mvp. I know it usually goes to a player on a winning team, but he is pretty much the whole offense which by definition would make him the mvp (at least on our roster)

Edited by Acworth skins fan
Clarification
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

Based on stats, hell yeah. However the team is a mess, if we were 7-3 I think he would definitely be in the running, with our win/loss record I dont think so. Punters can get nominated on a crap team (see Tress Way), Im not sure a QB would.

NFC Pro Bowl QBs will probably be Hurts, Goff, and Dak. I think Howell will be an alternate though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zCommander said:

Except Allen didn't start showing he is the man until his junior year. This year Allen has one more TD than Howell. They both have 9 INTs before MNF. Howell is doing things his 1st year as a starter that Allen started doing his 3rd year. I would take Howell over Allen based on the fact that Howell has also been sacked 44+ times and had to do more behind our wonderful OL and is still standing upright. You have to be real special if you can do that. 

Edit: Allen threw 2 INTs on MNF. So now has 11 INTs. 

I wouldnt take Howell over Allen right now. Simply because Allen can do things no other QB on earth can do. Now lets see where Sam is 3 years from now.....

• Like 1

That Howell to Dyami Brown pass was dropped right into the seam, and it was a great find and pass made outside of the structure of the play.  But it looked like Jordyn Brooks ran into the DB who was trying to play the ball, and I am questioning what was going on with our concept spacing.  Terry and Jahan are standing still beside each other as the ball is in the air, and Terry is really close to Dyami, to the point he can lead block the back end safety for Dyami on the run after catch.  Because of this, there are five defenders in the area of the throw, two of them in direct coverage on Dyami.  Where is the space for this concept?  I recognize that the timing got disrupted because Howell held it for six seconds before the throw, but the receivers should be further apart down the field.  This is the second week where we hit a big touchdown late after a breakdown in spacing, and that kind of stuff is lucky and the situation will lead to interceptions more than big plays.

• Like 2

IMO Howell's best plays were the TD throws to the backs.  They were great reads that took managing the pressure in his face.  The one to BRob was a nice baseball style pass too, and it's so hard to put a throw like that on the money from that arm slot while you're running left.  The Gibson TD was a bit of a duck, but I think he was getting hit at the release and he had plenty of time to sail that one because there was no field side DB in the area and Gibson was way in front of Bobby Wagner.  Soft touch and great placement gave Gibson such an easy catch and run.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

That Howell to Dyami Brown pass was dropped right into the seam, and it was a great find and pass made outside of the structure of the play.  But it looked like Jordyn Brooks ran into the DB who was trying to play the ball, and I am questioning what was going on with our concept spacing.  Terry and Jahan are standing still beside each other as the ball is in the air, and Terry is really close to Dyami, to the point he can lead block the back end safety for Dyami on the run after catch.  Because of this, there are five defenders in the area of the throw, two of them in direct coverage on Dyami.  Where is the space for this concept?  I recognize that the timing got disrupted because Howell held it for six seconds before the throw, but the receivers should be further apart down the field.  This is the second week where we hit a big touchdown late after a breakdown in spacing, and that kind of stuff is lucky and the situation will lead to interceptions more than big plays.

Yeah, that’s why I think a lot of the funk of the offense is these guys still learning real time where they’re  supposed to be. We want to blame EB for everything but it takes time for a young QB and receivers and lineman to gel in an offense and this is what we don’t see or understand a lot of weeks that’s happening behind the scenes. It’s why I’ve been a proponent of bringing EB back next year because if not it’ll be the same learning curve again with a new everything. Continuity is really important, but it may be too late now. Just hope we don’t ruin our new QB in the process…

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

In yesterday PC, Rivera pretty much confirmed what local media have been reporting.  He said in interviewing OC's last year (I'm paraphasing) the quickest way to evaluating a QB was throwing the ball. 

We've wondered about why they aren't running the ball more.  1) EB likes to throw more - he's stated that  2)  This year has, at least offensively, been a referendum to see how Howell will develop like literally "throwing" him in to the fire

Side note - I'm sure Howell like all QB's loves throwing the ball

• Like 2