Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

The analytics on Sam are all average or below. 

If you take out the statistics that based solely on volume (Yards, attempts, etc) 

- 18th in passer rating
- 20th in QBR
- 20th in PAA
- 19th in avg. yards gained per attempt
- 14th in completion %
- 25th in ANY/A

The going bananas right now for him is just wild. The defense right now being as woeful is allowing for a ton of long fields to gain volume and inflate somethings. It’s like 2015 Kirk. 

Edited by Stihl89
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

If you take out the statistics that based solely on volume (Yards, attempts, etc) 

- 18th in passer rating
- 20th in QBR
- 20th in PAA
- 14th in completion %
- 25th in ANY/A

The going bananas right now for him is just wild. The defense right now being as woeful is allowing for a ton of long fields to gain volume and inflate somethings. It’s like 2015 Kirk. 

Oh please...we all know you're a Strane Hills fan...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Missing the math, how does it cost less to cut him that the guaranteed money on the contract?

7-8 million cost you a player.  It's peanuts compared to paying stars big money.  But its a player or two players in FA.   Not every contract is Montez Sweat.  You got plenty in other ranges.  We should know because this FO majors in that range.

Part of the guaranteed money was paid out this season, which reduces the amount owed the following season.

It's 7-8 million spread out over two seasons, but he's not a 7-8 million per year player. The cap hit is 3 million this season and 5 million next.

This level of free agent provides organization ability to remain lean while continuing to explore ways to add talent, hopefully through the draft and not overpriced free agents (my opinion). The whole story isn’t written on Gates, he’s the type of dude that will bounce back even if it’s as a back up. 

18 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

- 18th in passer rating
- 20th in QBR
- 20th in PAA
- 14th in completion %
- 25th in ANY/A

As I pointed out to a friend, with young QBs, the full season stats don’t matter. The key is to focus on trailing numbers. More fair to judge vets on full season numbers as they are finished products

5 minutes ago, method man said:

As I pointed out to a friend, with young QBs, the full season stats don’t matter. The key is to focus on trailing numbers. More fair to judge vets on full season numbers as they are finished products

You're wasting your time engaging with him. This is the same guy who complained about Sam being too "cool" and aloof for his liking. He'll find anything about Sam to **** about and then move the goalposts when that fails.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

20 minutes ago, method man said:

Could also just look at median stats vs. averages to eliminate outlier effects.

53 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You're wasting your time engaging with him. This is the same guy who complained about Sam being too "cool" and aloof for his liking. He'll find anything about Sam to **** about and then move the goalposts when that fails.

It’s really odd too.  

It would be one thing if we were looking at drafting 1st or 2nd in the 2024 draft, or we were under the gun on Sam from a contract perspective.   But we are actually at liberty to see what we’ve got in Sam on the cheap, nor are we passing up on the ever elusive elite QB he covets.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s really odd too.  

It would be one thing if we were looking at drafting 1st or 2nd in the 2024 draft, or we were under the gun on Sam from a contract perspective.   But we are actually at liberty to see what we’ve got in Sam on the cheap, nor are we passing up on the ever elusive elite QB he covets.  

its fun to go to other boards and stoke ****....childish, but hey if it makes you laugh its good for you

Edited by dunfer

1 hour ago, Stihl89 said:

- 18th in passer rating
- 20th in QBR
- 20th in PAA
- 14th in completion %
- 25th in ANY/A

What is he if you put back yards, attemps, etc? Above average? And how much does the no.s affect the other no.s after you put them back? 

2 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

- 18th in passer rating
- 20th in QBR
- 20th in PAA
- 14th in completion %
- 25th in ANY/A

So after one season on the bench, a coordinator change, a dreadful OL and gameplans designed to get him killed…

You’re saying he’s playing like 2015 Kirk.

And in your mind, this is a bad thing and everyone else is nuts for having any hope he can get better.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

- 18th in passer rating
- 20th in QBR
- 20th in PAA
- 14th in completion %
- 25th in ANY/A

I get you are out on Howell.

But lets stick to pure anayltics.  Sam has had two of his better games as to PFF anayltics in his last two.   His last game was his best on that front.  He registered as having one of their best grades on big time throws and also in adjusted completion percentage and that's for the whole season.  

Any heed to a young QB in his first season getting better as he goes along or it doesn't matter?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The thing to remember about Howell though is he is going to be here no matter what.  Or rather, the only reason he isn't here is because he's traded for some ludicrous hall so we can trade up to get Williams, or something like that.  Otherwise, he's going to be here.  

If Howell continues to play the way he is playing over the remaining 8 games, and continues to hit his current averages, he's going to pass for 4,658 yards, 26 TDs, 17 INTs.  

I think he is tracking at even more yards than you posted because everything is trending up for the kid.  In other words, look at the past 4 games compared to the 4 before that and things look really interesting. He could go for 30TDs and 5k yards with a few more 350 yd 3TD games.  

I think he has already proven it to the fans.  Id imagine most fans will be happy to see him under center for the rest of this season and the next two full seasons after, although I think the team will be forced to make some sort of decision before the final year of his deal which is 2025. 

My only question is has he or will he prove it to the incoming staff.  I mean does anyone think Rivera will be back barring some weird NFC Champ game appearance?  One look at the way the devils and 76ers are structured will tell you everything you need to know about how this new owner will most likely set things up.  I mean maybe if Rivera accepts a demotion to HC only, and removes the GM handle from his title... That just seems like a long shot at this point. I also think it will hurt ticket sales lol. 

Dont get me wrong, I am on the Sam wagon.  huge fan of him not just as a football player. Just that lingering possibility of this team finding a way to mess it up is all...

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do think this pace is going to slow somewhat as the weather turns.  

I just hope it doesn’t slow too much.  

Let’s see see how they attack the Seahawks next weekend.  If they can put 3 good offensive says back to back to back that’s going to be very encouraging.

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I get Larsen has injury issues. But they’ve had him here the last 2 years.  

And they completely blew the evaluation in Gates.

what took so long making the change?

Look at their other decisions at personel especially at the O line and you'll find the answer.  Same crew that traded Trent for a ham sandwich, passed over Darrisaw in the draft, released Moses on and on.

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1