Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not anointing the guy or anything.  I just meant that it’s obvious he can clearly operate a run heavy offense behind a stout D, ie: the Heinicke offense.

This game should absolutely be the end of TH in DC.  Howell showed enough that he’s at least backup material. I have no idea if he starter material yet or not.

But he can operate the TH offense.  So TH can go.  

As another aside, the Bears have the #1 pick.  Do they pick a QB and trade Fields or trade the pick and keep Fields?

Maybe @Zim489 can get his dream of getting fields, just 2 years later and not on the Griffin deal he refuses to admit it would have taken to get him in 2021.  Btw Keim said in his podcast he was so sure they were trading up for fields he had his story written before the draft.  He heard they liked fields and we’re going to try and get him.  The fact they didn’t is further proof moving from 19 to 8 was going to take multiple first round picks and more.

• Like 5

That's about as good as you can feel about a guy after a game where a dude throws 19 passes.

Now that he has logged actual in-season play time, I no longer think its crazy that he can be in a QB competition to be the starter next year.

I'm still trying to upgrade the position in the offseason but if we strike out on that clear cut QB1 and have to go the QB competition route, we only need to bring in one guy and let Howell and newbie go at it, rather than bring in 2 new guys, which is where I was before this game.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

That's not the point lol...and I'm still gonna wait.

I was never high on Wentz to begin with. The Jags game was an anomaly. 

My exact words in the offseason (which I got dumped on): Wentz is slightly better than Taylor. 

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not anointing the guy or anything.  I just meant that it’s obvious he can clearly operate a run heavy offense behind a stout D, ie: the Heinicke offense.

I think almost every QB can operate a run-heavy offense behind a stout D. But we were hoping for more from him than that...I'm comfortable still waiting, but feel far more optimistic about him than either Wentz or Heinicke.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So I think it’s now clearly safe to say that Howell was more than capable of running the Heinicke offense all along. 

I wouldn’t go that far. None of us know how good he could’ve been earlier in the season. Maybe he needed all this time to improve his game. Still if I’m the Commanders, Howell would’ve been next quarterback up when they wanted to move on from last game.

Just now, zCommander said:

I was never high on Wentz to begin with. The Jags game was an anomaly. 

My exact words in the offseason (which I got dumped on): Wentz is slightly better than Taylor. 

Was it you who said maybe the better move would have been skipping Wentz, rolling with Heinicke, Howell, and someone like Mariota? Or did a bunch of people on this thread say that? lol...

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

That's about as good as you can feel about a guy after a game where a dude throws 19 passes.

Now that he has logged actual in-season play time, I no longer think its crazy that he can be in a QB competition to be the starter next year.

I'm still trying to upgrade the position in the offseason but if we strike out on that clear cut QB1 and have to go the QB competition route, we only need to bring in one guy and let Howell and newbie go at it, rather than bring in 2 new guys, which is where I was before this game.

Unless they swing a trade for Mahomes or an elite QB I’m surely hoping they don’t bring in another FA QB like Mayfield, Geno Smith or that type of guy… Howell showed he at least gets a shot at the helm next season if they dont bring in that elite QB… which they’re not

• Like 2

You guys talking about bringing in another vet. why bother with the same thing weve been doing at QB for years by bringing in vets, Draft a guy, roll with sam and Heini and sign the rest of your team to contracts. When you arent paying half your cap to a QB your "window" is infinite until you find that rookie QB

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- The Time is Howell! Do we have a QB1?
12 minutes ago, Redd said:

I wouldn’t go that far. None of us know how good he could’ve been earlier in the season. Maybe he needed all this time to improve his game.

True...there are a lot of different directions the story could have branched out in if Howell's first start had been against, say, the Eagles early in the season. Halfway through the game I was thinking maybe we should have just said "Eff it" to this season and used it to develop Howell even if we went 4-13. I would have hated it, of course lol...and we may have ended up causing Howell more damage doing it that way. Just never know.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

I'm trying to stay calm and not overreact to what I just saw today.

I have to...because if that money we get back from cutting Wentz isn't put to QB, we won't have enough space for Howells replacement if we are wrong.  We'd have no choice but to get another rookie QB contract.

Which is fine...because what I saw is some who could at least be a bridge until we confirm they can't be QB1 and then draft one in the first round...something we should've done years ago.

And please don't resign Taylor, we have to fire Scott, which would make him even more useless and we need the cap space.  All the sudden Jacoby looks interesting again.

Priority Payne and Oline, doesn't work, high enough pick to draft a QB in 2024 anyway.  I can live with that.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

I'd rather roll with Howell over Zach Wilson or Justin Fields. He played a better game today then Wilson or Fields ever have in the NFL.  I'd also rather roll with Howell than another reject veteran like Carr or Mariota.  Like others said, unless we bring in a top 10 QB (which won't happen), we should build the o-line and give Howell the keys. 

• Like 1

Howell is pretty much indestructible and undefeated overall, undefeated against the NFC and undefeated in the division with a massive average margin of victory. So you go into 2023 with only Howell on the 53. You keep other guys on the practice squad for practice purposes only.  😂 

• Haha 2

Just now, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Was it you who said maybe the better move would have been skipping Wentz, rolling with Heinicke, Howell, and someone like Mariota? Or did a bunch of people on this thread say that? lol...

That was me. I only said Marotta as a last resort since almost everyone here was so against Taylor and I was thinking more futuristic. But the funny thing is that I said Taylor and build the OL and DL and that was back in 2021 when the thread was started. I was way ahead of Ron lol

I also said to draft a QB in 23 as 22 was not a good QB draft and better for other positions. But I still looked at the QBs for 22. Out of all of the QBs in 22 - I was watching the Pro-Day and they kept on saying how accurate Howell was. I was like too bad we won't be able to get him. I was really glad that we got him and I really didn't care it was in the 5th round. I knew he was a lot better than that. :)

Am I saying he will be the next Brady. Nope. But he has lots of protentional. I like to see what he can be though. Hopefully for us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No more Heinicke.  I do not want him here soaking up valuable playing time from Sam in any capacity.  Not that I think he needed to prove it, but he proved today he can run the Heinicke offense.  His floor is a backup, his ceiling is TBD.

Who are you bringing in at QB (if you were the one doing it, that is lol)?...

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No more Heinicke.  I do not want him here soaking up valuable playing time from Sam in any capacity.  Not that I think he needed to prove it, but he proved today he can run the Heinicke offense.  His floor is a backup, his ceiling is TBD.

I would really like Howell starting in 23 and Taylor as the backup. I think he has earned that. 

• Like 1

There are so many FA/soon to be FA available this offseason that I think the price for some of these guys are going to be very low.  

Dalton played on a 1/$3M contract.  I’d look at someone like him (cheap, high floor, low ceiling) to bring to “compete” with Howell. Use the draft and Wentz’s money to build the line, extend Payne, and find a second linebacker.