Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Who really cares who starts next week anymore?  The season is over, it'll be a meaningless game where we get pounded by a bitter rival no matter who starts.  The jig is up and we have nothing left to play for.

I'd like to see Howell get some reps. It is the only positive that could come from the game. I am done with Wentz. The team has already turned their back on TH numerous times

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ironically Brian Mitchell talking right now how they need someone else aside from Curl who can direct traffic well 

I don’t know if it is just the traffic control but it may mainly be the versatility Kam brings to the table. As Logan noted, they play a lot of Cover 3 with Kam in but shifted to quarters with him out. Guessing part of the issue is they don’t practice quarters as much as Cover 3 and guys are playing positions in the back end they may not be used to

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe. Last off season looked to be more of a trade for a QB than sign one type of year. This off season to me feels like the open market and trade market might be about the same.

I don't see it as that simple given the need for results so badly from this coaching staff.  If they are serious about not trading, I don't believe they can afford to go into next season depending on some retread from the open market. 

They still have to sell tickets and for their own sake make the playoffs to even have the conversation with new owners on not getting canned, seeing what falls to them is way to conservative for that reality, it doesn't add up.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You think the Raiders are keeping Carr?  Am thinking almost zero chance they do especially after last night 

Whoever the hell that was last night he needs to do it again.  See Jets and White right now, reality comes at you fast when QBs come out of nowhere, NFL adjusts that fast.

I'm jus nit buying Carr has really fallen off a cliff versus the Raiders being so dysfunctional this year compared to years past.  And say he is that bad, who's trading for that contract? No one, that's who.  The safer bet for them is hoping Carr jus had a bad season, the whole team did, and new coach next year can get him back on track. 

QBs like the Carr I saw for back and forth with Herbert last season are hard to come by, make sure if you gonna move on.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ironically Brian Mitchell talking right now how they need someone else aside from Curl who can direct traffic well 

Brian Mitchell is absolutely right. Our D shouldn’t be THAT dependent on one player. Other teams lose key players and hardly miss a beat. 

17 minutes ago, method man said:

I don’t know if it is just the traffic control but it may mainly be the versatility Kam brings to the table. As Logan noted, they play a lot of Cover 3 with Kam in but shifted to quarters with him out. Guessing part of the issue is they don’t practice quarters as much as Cover 3 and guys are playing positions in the back end they may not be used to

Imagine if we could now draft Battle, since we're out. That would put our 3 safety defense over the top. Minkah Fitz part II

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Paulsen cited both aspects of his game as I mentioned.

He blames the loss yesterday first and foremost on gaffes by the secondary which he imputes to likely communication gaffes 

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't see it as that simple given the need for results so badly from this coaching staff.  If they are serious about not trading, I don't believe they can afford to go into next season depending on some retread from the open market. 

They still have to sell tickets and for their own sake make the playoffs to even have the conversation with new owners on not getting canned, seeing what falls to them is way to conservative for that reality, it doesn't add up.

Whoever the hell that was last night he needs to do it again.  See Jets and White right now, reality comes at you fast when QBs come out of nowhere, NFL adjusts that fast.

I'm jus nit buying Carr has really fallen off a cliff versus the Raiders being so dysfunctional this year compared to years past.  And say he is that bad, who's trading for that contract? No one, that's who.  The safer bet for them is hoping Carr jus had a bad season, the whole team did, and new coach next year can get him back on track. 

QBs like the Carr I saw for back and forth with Herbert last season are hard to come by, make sure if you gonna move on.

I think you are suggesting that trades >>> signing a FA or a QB who is released. Normally I ageee the better ones are traded. But this looming off season it’s not so clear. Maybe it ends that way but I don’t think it’s slam dunk by a long shot just yet.

More specifically, I think it’s a waste of time to argue theoretically right now what to do. FA. Trade. Or draft. To me it’s all about the specifics much of which we don’t know yet.

As for Carr will see. Your take on this is a major outlier. National and raiders local reporters think Carr is a goner, borderline slam dunk. Mainly because of the triggers in his contract. They can end up wrong and you might end up right. But for now I am betting on what just about everyone is saying on this. 

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The blame is 90% at least on the offense yesterday. Defense stunk in the second half but they're the only reason we had a chance with all the early turnovers.

Paulsen ripperd the offense. His point was in spite of that he thinks they likely would have won if not for the secondary breakdowns 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

I think you are suggesting that trades >>> signing a FA or a QB who is released. Normally I ageee the better ones are traded. But this looming off season it’s not so clear. Maybe it ends that way but I don’t think it’s slam dunk by a long shot just yet.

More specifically, I think it’s a waste of time to argue theoretically right now what to do. FA. Trade. Or draft. To me it’s all about the specifics much of which we don’t know yet.

This is fair, kinda early, right now the better options are trade options, can see who gets cut.

As for Carr will see. Your take on this is a major outlier. National and raiders locals think Carr is a goner, borderline slam dunk. Mainly because of the triggers in his contract. They can end up wrong and you might end up right. But for now I am betting on what just about everyone is saying on this,. 

I keep hearing trade, but again, who's gonna trade for that contract if he's really done?  If you said he's sure fire getting released, that I might believe. 

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

Taylor cant be on this roster moving forward IMO. Theres too much of the fan base calling for him every week. Dont know why but they are.

I kind of agree. He's like a drug. We need to go cold turkey. 

The fans clamoring for him is an indictment of our fan base IQ plummeting. That's what a generation of losing does.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Taylor cant be on this roster moving forward IMO. Theres too much of the fan base calling for him every week. Dont know why but they are.

because most weeks he's in we have a chance to win

But seriously, this is Washington.  We haven't been satisfied with our QB for the majority of the franchise's existence.  It's been I like Sonny and I like Billy since the early 70s and only switching from that very rarely

Edited by MrJL
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

I think Jacoby Brissett at 10m per is the only option for me. Save money and add stability at the position. Cut Wentz, Heini can walk, keep Howell and draft someone else to redshirt behind him. 

Outside of Oline and a few other little things, I think we have a pretty complete team. Get someone who won't win or lose it at QB and build the rest like the 49ers have done.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You can say what you want about Kyle, plenty of people have.  But his team just vaulted the Vikings for the No 2. spot in the playoffs.  He's reeling off wins with the last pick in the draft, a guy who's skill set might mirror Heinicke's.  And we're twiddling our thumbs with Ron, Turner and wondering if we'll get to see Howell next weekend.  

It would be ****ing unbelievable if it weren't so believable.  It's so Commander-esque.  

If only we had an innovative coaching staff like this, we'd definitely win something right?

This is why I don't have the same vitriol as others here for Rivera. We've had the head coaches that are currently leading two of the top three seeds in the NFC, another who has turned a terrible season around and has a win-and-in opportunity, and the defending Super Bowl champions...and still lost double digit games and lost games like this every year but 2012.

There is nothing here that will ever result in winning because this organization does not support winning. We have the worst facilities in the league, and worse facilities than probably most of the SEC. I'm sure our advanced scouting, data, analytics department are top notch, for 1993. The culture is gold standard alright...which of course are the gold foil wrapped chocolate coins.

It's no wonder Rivera failed here. Everyone else has.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think Jacoby Brissett at 10m per is the only option for me. Save money and add stability at the position. Cut Wentz, Heini can walk, keep Howell and draft someone else to redshirt behind him. 

Outside of Oline and a few other little things, I think we have a pretty complete team. Get someone who won't win or lose it at QB and build the rest like the 49ers have done.

This post kinds scares me.

Obligatory reminder all three of our division rivals made the playoffs this year, that's what we're up against.

Jacoby in AFC North, that is pretty competitive though not as good as our division, couldn't hold the fort to keep them in the playoff hunt until Watson came back.  Expect similar results here. 

49ers we also need to keep in context how bad their division is before saying we want to emulate what they are doing.  They are on their third string QB, this wasn't their plan even if it's working.

I'm open to not needing an elite QB or pathway to one because of what 49ers and Eagles are doing, but we are playing a game they are superior at walking in with someone like Brissett, imo, we won't beat them.

• Thumb down 1

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I’m down with this plan.  My only concern with starting Howell this week (I still definitely would though) is that if he performs poorly, it might reduce the appeal of that plan.  Sort of the inverse of Haskins doing well the last two games of the season.  But to your point, we’d retain draft picks and save some cap space (even if we pay Payne) to really tackle (pun semi-intended) the oline.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This post kinds scares me.

Obligatory reminder all three of our division rivals made the playoffs this year, that's what we're up against.

Jacoby in AFC North, that is pretty competitive though not as good as our division, couldn't hold the fort to keep them in the playoff hunt until Watson came back.  Expect similar results here. 

49ers we also need to keep in context how bad their division is before saying we want to emulate what they are doing.  They are on their third string QB, this wasn't their plan even if it's working.

I'm open to not needing an elite QB or pathway to one because of what 49ers and Eagles are doing, but we are playing a game they are superior at walking in with someone like Brissett, imo, we won't beat them.

Okay, let's draft 21 yo Tom Brady in the 5th this year.

And while we're here. You can say thas isn't elite, while he's smashing record all year. Starting he lost 1 game, because our entire game plan was "don't let Hurt be on the field" and when he's injured they drop two in a row because of the back up, whos one of the best back ups. Hurts is elite.

Make some sense. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m down with this plan.  My only concern with starting Howell this week (I still definitely would though) is that if he performs poorly, it might reduce the appeal of that plan.  Sort of the inverse of Haskins doing well the last two games of the season.  But to your point, we’d retain draft picks and save some cap space (even if we pay Payne) to really tackle (pun semi-intended) the oline.

Save cap and picks and provide stability at QB at least. I think that's a great starting point that we haven't had under Ron, despite his efforts.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Okay, let's draft 21 yo Tom Brady in the 5th this year.

And while we're here. You can say thas isn't elite, while he's smashing record all year. Starting he lost 1 game, because our entire game plan was "don't let Hurt be on the field" and when he's injured they drop two in a row because of the back up, whos one of the best back ups. Hurts is elite.

Make some sense. 

So you're on board that Hurts is elite now and ready to pay him like that?  I see, rest of the Eagles fan base on same page as that?

I don't believe our roster can afford an elite QB that's near impossible to get anyway.  A good mobile one with a decent ceiling is fine with me, hover around or just outside top 10.

It truly is terrifying what's happening with QB contracts, why I respect what Eagles did focusing on building a team as strong as it was around Hurts.

Good luck keeping that together if the plan is to pay him like a top 5 QB.

My overall point in my post you said doesn't make sense is we should be shooting for an above average QB with decent ceiling versus some journey man if we want to compete with Philly or San Fran.

I want us to ar least try to win a playoff game in 2023, anything that smells like punting to the 2024 draft I'm going to raise my hand on.

Our quarterbacks don’t just stink but they also help the opposing team score on our defense 

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is fair, kinda early, right now the better options are trade options, can see who gets cut.

I keep hearing trade, but again, who's gonna trade for that contract if he's really done?  If you said he's sure fire getting released, that I might believe. 

he could be traded or released based on reports. No consensus on that for Carr. The consensus is he will be gone one way or another. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1