Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

No team is going to willingly roll out a QB that provides nothing when they have access to an entire offseason and the options that brings, even if you run an observably rushing predicated O. That is simply giving up an avenue to hurt an opponent, and a major one at that.

Even if your gonna be like the Titans, where everything goes thru the RBs, you still gotta invest in someone who can do something passing the ball like Tanny.

If you fully lean into the run, you gotta have that dynamic running threat at QB like Jackson or Fields. The 9ers saw this and went after Lance, and still had competent passing to fall back on in Jimmy G.

Other high run rate teams follow a similar formula. ATL started the year w/ Mariotta, Phi has Hurts. Even if you were not confident in their ability to pass, there was no reason to doubt their abilities to produce on the ground.

No team in the NFL outside of injury will sit around all offseason and punt on the idea of getting something out of the QB position. If you cant get that competent passer, you'll get a guy who can run and over his span of play TH has proven he can be neither of those guys so he won't be an option to start for anybody.

We have seen it play out here the last 2 offseasons with Fitz and Wentz. You gotta have a guy in the fold where you can project some form of production.

So rolling the dice on developing Howell for 2023 and/or Wentz reduced to 2.0 with TH as a *insurance* hedge would be a non-starter?  I know it's a gamble..I agree with what you are saying (assuming Howell and Wentz have no chance of contributing in 2023).

Just now, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So rolling the dice on developing Howell for 2023 and/or Wentz reduced to 2.0 with TH as a *insurance* hedge would be a non-starter?  I know it's a gamble..I agree with what you are saying (assuming Howell and Wentz have no chance of contributing in 2023).

Unless Howell gets some quality play time this year I don't see him being a lone candidate to start next year w/o viable competition, which would be a starter level QB.

Wentz could be that, with a monster pay cut.

TH can't be that competition at all. You'd just pencil him in a backup capacity.

If we go the QB competition route I'd think you'd bring a third "Mayfield" level QB to compete as well.

The problem with this scenario is like when we brought in Fitz or Wentz, if you bring in that 10 Mil QB, he is almost the defacto starter over a guy like Howell. You don't pay a guy to sit him. Howell is not in the same position as other high cost acquisitions that were high draft picks. Kinda like Purdy he is gonna need everyone in front of him to remove themselves before he gets his attempt, fair or not. He would absolutely have to DOMINATE the offseason to start over a starter level QB in a competition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CommanderCarson said:

I’m watching Kirk Cousins throw up an absolute stinker. The guy is a total fraud and he’s being exposed for what he is again.

Have to do it for the largest comeback in NFL history.

You-like-that GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I like seeing the guy fail but peeps need to take off the blinders and realize he is at minimum a good QB. He is one of the better QBs in the NFL. Dude is no fraud.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

The O-line being addressed also affects the QB position though.  There is a big what if regarding had Wentz never got hurt, and he was playing when the O-line finally had that month and a half or so of consistency, plus BRob emerging and become a threat.   I am in no way suggesting Wentz would have balled out necessarily, just that we really have to let go of the idea that Heinicke is in there for much else other than circumstance.   If you address the O-line, then for all we know it isn't going to be Wentz or Heinicke....or even Howell starting Week 1 2023, and they go grab another vet.   

This O-line currently is so detrimental to the passing game that if you fix it, it opens up a ton of options that the coaches likely feel safe going with, but I highly doubt they decide after 2 offseason's of trying to replace him, that QB2 Heinicke suddenly becomes the choice.  

3 hours ago, CommanderCarson said:

I have no idea what this means?

Ive always thought Kirk Cousins was someone that if you could move off his spot, he’s a goner. Today that proved true again. Just to be clear id take him over heineke in a nano second. But that’s setting a low bar.

First of all, 😭😭😭
Kirk Cousins Dance GIF by Minnesota Vikings

Thrice upon a time there was a poster here who couldn’t take the hint from banishment and kept creating new screen names and hiding behind a VPN:

HardcoreZorn, SweatSuit, something else.

You have a # of things coincidentally in common with these aliases.

-Seeks out my posts.  Even if a dozen others are sharing similar thoughts, tends to tee off on mine.

-Whines about the fanbase, they should support the team more.

-Primary claim to fame: Defending Bruce Allen, minimizing Dan’s influence on the team.

-Cares A LOT about who is right and wrong and regularly tries to inject that posters think X, because Y, as if he’s a psychologist.

-Obsessed with Kirk Cousins.  Can find any reason to inject Kirk hate into any conversation.

You are awful well versed in the history of posting on this forum for a guy who showed up in March.  If you aren’t him under a third or fourth screen name, it’s a creepy coincidence just how much you post just like him.

—————————

3 hours ago, CommanderCarson said:
4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Heineke has secured a spot in the NFL as a backup for as long as he’d like. There’s no way no how he’s not at least the number 3 emergency QB going forward for some team, unless the injury is so severe that it’s career threatening. 

The market will reveal what the rest of the league thinks of him.  I gather both Taylor and his agent don’t share your confidence that he’s here to stay, no matter what happens to him injury wise.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched Heinicke on Cowherd, among his points he said (paraphrasing) he told Wentz look I am 6 foot and 200 pounds, all it takes it one hard hit and I am out of the game and you are back in.  Definitley sounds like a dude paranoid about getting hurt.  

I don’t know why, dude has solidified himself as a guaranteed roster spot until he chooses to ride off into the sunset. 😂

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t know why, dude has solidified himself as a guaranteed roster spot until he chooses to ride off into the sunset. 😂

I go back to this Old Dominion coach who told Taylor (forgot if it was the coach sharing it or Taylor) that he told him the previous year off season that his career is-will be only thwarted by lack of durability.   

With his contract year coming up, I think its obviously critical for him to show he can stay healthy for this team or whatever team.  But IMO, its a double edge sword because if the book on Taylor becomes this dude is about as much of a threat to run as Tom Brady it lowers his value.  But maybe he's assuming its the Commanders or bust in FA.

I think the dude comes off super aware.  So I gather he knows his most likely scenario is ending up a backup here.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched Heinicke on Cowherd, among his points he said (paraphrasing) he told Wentz look I am 6 foot and 200 pounds, all it takes it one hard hit and I am out of the game and you are back in.  Definitley sounds like a dude paranoid about getting hurt.  

I have no idea why that would make him more injury prone though.

Many of the most durable players in NFL history, from times when players actually got hit, were around 6ft 200lbs.

It's not like guys like Carson Wentz and Chase Young don't get injured. Brees was about his size and almost never got injured.

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I have no idea why that would make him more injury prone though.

Many of the most durable players in NFL history, from times when players actually got hit, were around 6ft 200lbs.

It's not like guys like Carson Wentz and Chase Young don't get injured. Brees was about his size and almost never got injured.

Because he use to always be injured.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CommanderCarson said:

I have no idea what this means?

Ive always thought Kirk Cousins was someone that if you could move off his spot, he’s a goner. Today that proved true again. Just to be clear id take him over heineke in a nano second. But that’s setting a low bar.

Lol. So would 32 out of 32 football teams so definitely not a “low bar”. Cousins is a good qb and I’m still very bitter somehow this franchise let him walk for free without any type of compensation.. trading for smith  with him on the roster still was stupid and since we have spent several draft picks to fix the hole with nothing to show, meanwhile a Vikings team that’s ranked 30rh in defense is 11-4 and the media and some here think cousins is a worse qb than geno smith, Daniel Jones, Derek carr etc etc these are the actual frauds in reality imo face reality Cousins is a top ten qb in the league plain and simple Hes not a great qb but hes good.

• Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

First of all, 😭😭😭
Kirk Cousins Dance GIF by Minnesota Vikings

Thrice upon a time there was a poster here who couldn’t take the hint from banishment and kept creating new screen names and hiding behind a VPN:

HardcoreZorn, SweatSuit, something else.

You have a # of things coincidentally in common with these aliases.

-Seeks out my posts.  Even if a dozen others are sharing similar thoughts, tends to tee off on mine.

-Whines about the fanbase, they should support the team more.

-Primary claim to fame: Defending Bruce Allen, minimizing Dan’s influence on the team.

-Cares A LOT about who is right and wrong and regularly tries to inject that posters think X, because Y, as if he’s a psychologist.

-Obsessed with Kirk Cousins.  Can find any reason to inject Kirk hate into any conversation.

You are awful well versed in the history of posting on this forum for a guy who showed up in March.  If you aren’t him under a third or fourth screen name, it’s a creepy coincidence just how much you post just like him.

—————————

The market will reveal what the rest of the league thinks of him.  I gather both Taylor and his agent don’t share your confidence that he’s here to stay, no matter what happens to him injury wise.

I’m so lost.

21 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Lol. So would 32 out of 32 football teams so definitely not a “low bar”. Cousins is a good qb and I’m still very bitter somehow this franchise let him walk for free without any type of compensation.. trading for smith  with him on the roster still was stupid and since we have spent several draft picks to fix the hole with nothing to show, meanwhile a Vikings team that’s ranked 30rh in defense is 11-4 and the media and some here think cousins is a worse qb than geno smith, Daniel Jones, Derek carr etc etc these are the actual frauds in reality imo face reality Cousins is a top ten qb in the league plain and simple Hes not a great qb but hes good.

Letting Cousins walk for nothing but a third is criminal. As was only getting a 3rd and 5th for Trent. AWFUL management of big time assets, I mean it can’t get any worse than that.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There’s a loser joke in here somewhere.

It seems like you are teeing off on my posts and have been for quite some time.

Ill repeat, no idea what you’re talking about.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really just read "I'd take Cousins over Heinicke"?

Gonna be a long Sunday.

Who wouldn’t?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not sure if directed at me but just saw this and wow, it’s kind of weird you are laughing at this like it’s absurd someone would think Taylor punched his NFL ticket for life even if he’s a 3rd string emergency QB at best. 

He’s the perfect backup. 3rd string even better, it means you have a really strong QB room.

You seem to harbor some resentment for Taylor, no idea why cause you swear you love the dude and his story 😂

Edited by CommanderCarson

1 minute ago, CommanderCarson said:

Not sure if directed at me but just saw this and wow, it’s kind of weird you are laughing at this like it’s absurd someone would think Taylor punched his NFL ticket for life even if he’s a 3rd string emergency QB at best. 

He’s the perfect backup. 3rd string even better, it means you have a really strong WB room.

You seem to harbor some resentment for Taylor, no idea why cause you swear you love the dude and his story 😂

His story is great and I think he’s much more realistic about who he is than his biggest fans.  Hence the self preservation strategy he’s deployed. 

I’m not sure there is any such thing as a career 3rd string QB.  Some teams don’t even carry 3.  Taylor’s value is his experience with Scott Turners system.  I have a hard time believing other coordinators are clamoring to coach Taylor up to learn their system and hand the ball off 40 times a game.  I have an even harder time believing that he won’t be forgotten in the event he tears an ACL or something of that nature.

57 minutes ago, CommanderCarson said:

Who wouldn’t?

Me. I'd take Heinicke over Cousins. Cousins has way more talent but zero personality, zero grittiness, and comes off as a total dick. He's just beige in every sense.

I mean if you're saying who do you pick to win a game, then Cousins, but if you're saying who would you pick knowing you have to root for them all season, I'd take the Heini rollercoaster every time.

I just found Cousins really unlikeable and hard to root for and wouldn't want to try doing it for another season.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Me. I'd take Heinicke over Cousins. Cousins has way more talent but zero personality, zero grittiness, and comes off as a total dick. He's just beige in every sense.

I mean if you're saying who do you pick to win a game, then Cousins, but if you're saying who would you pick knowing you have to root for them all season, I'd take the Heini rollercoaster every time.

I just found Cousins really unlikeable and hard to root for and wouldn't want to try doing it for another season.

That Stockholm syndrome is REAL. Heinikie wouldn't even pick Heinke.

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Me. I'd take Heinicke over Cousins. Cousins has way more talent but zero personality, zero grittiness, and comes off as a total dick. He's just beige in every sense.I

Cousins stands in the pocket and takes hits but has zero grittiness? How is he a total dick? Because he turned down a 14 million a year contract from us ? While Brock osweiler and Mike Glennon were being signed for well over 20 million a year? Cousins bet on himself and won, we completely botched that entire situation period.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, UKskins said:

This is better served in the ATN forum so I’ll leave it at this.

Did you watch Cousins play us?  Dude stood in there and took shot after shot after shot from our DL and kept firing.  He did the same when he was here.  Gritty and durable AF.

He’s definitely a dork, but he owns it.  I think it’s odd that fans still hate on Cousins who basically did what any sane decent QB would do and that’s get away from Dan and Bruce, and make $84M while doing it.

All that said, he’s a dying breed.  What will prevent him from ever being an elite QB is his inability to make off schedule plays.  Ideally you want a guy who can create when all goes bad.  He does offset that though somewhat by being tough as nails, willing to absorb blows for the sake of a completion.  Dude never misses a game and gets rocked like a rag doll on the reg.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 6