Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Wentz looked worse in this offense than he did last year in Indy.  

For a guy who already holds the ball too long to both lose his mobility and need to learn an entirely new system, with the middle of his OL destroyed, it was a match made in hell.

Much worse.  At this time last year, he was sporting a gaudy 11/1 td/int ratio.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I'm not as convinced as everybody else around here that the Wentz experience is over.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be just that I wouldn't bet the farm that we won't see wentz playing for this team ever again. 

As long as we're not eliminated from the playoffs I'd expect Wentz to go back in. 

And that decision will come from Snyder. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Peregrine said:

By "Uber-praise" you mean people saying Heinicke is the best QB on our roster because the others are bad, and gives us a shot at winning due to being a good backup?  Or a made up straw man?  That hes 8-8 as as a starter and so therefore one of the best QBs of the Snyder era by sad sheer adequacy?

Also...........if you were a QB who didnt have much experience, and you hadnt gotten any snaps at all with the first team all season long, but were actually talented enough to overcome struggles, which part of your first game would you be expected to have a tough time in?  The beginning?  The middle?  The end?  People blast the start of the game without giving half a second thought to ration or reason and that people arent robots.  You cant criticize other fans for not being "reasonable" or "rational" about expectations and then show you arent willing to do so yourself.

And what I said was unreasonable how? I've stated many times over that Heinicke is a capable backup and that he has shown many times over why he is a back up.  Back up QB's win games in the NFL all the time, it isn't abnormal, but their ceilings are low and are always made abundantly clear the longer they are starting games.  Heinicke looked like the same QB against the Packers that he did in the second half of last year.  What exactly gave off any vibes that he was drastically improved?  I never said he looked worse, I said he looked the same, and the coaches were adamant that he was not the guy to be the starter. Heinicke showed once again against Green Bay what his strengths are and what his weaknesses are, and that for all this talk about improving his arm strength and being smarter about his throws, for the most part he is the same guy we saw last season.  I swear the Hive sounds right now like other people sounded after the win over the Jags when it came to Wentz.  

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

As long as we're not eliminated from the playoffs I'd expect Wentz to go back in. 

And that decision will come from Snyder. 

A back up QB's job is to win games while the starter is out.  This idea that because a back up does exactly that, that somehow the starter is no longer going to be the starter is wrong.  Now if the coaches look at the film and make the assessment that Wentz was incapable of doing certain things in similar situations as Heinicke, then that is different, but a win over the Packers is hardly going to be enough fuel for a QB controversy.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

This offseason I think is going to be a little eye opening for teams. 

Eventually they are going to realize that there are only two ways to get a franchise quarterback.

The first and by far the most likely way is obviously through the draft and the second is to trade for a young quarterback with extenuating circumstances like sexual misconduct or a possible career ending shoulder injury when the team has already drafted a capable replacement etc.

Teams do not let go of franchise quarterbacks until they're completely washed up.

Try right now to make offers for mahomes, burrow, Herbert, or Allen and see what happens.

The smart teams don't even try to trade for a quarterback.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

And what I said was unreasonable how? I've stated many times over that Heinicke is a capable backup and that he has shown many times over why he is a back up.  Back up QB's win games in the NFL all the time, it isn't abnormal, but their ceilings are low and are always made abundantly clear the longer they are starting games.  Heinicke looked like the same QB against the Packers that he did in the second half of last year.  What exactly gave off any vibes that he was drastically improved?  I never said he looked worse, I said he looked the same, and the coaches were adamant that he was not the guy to be the starter. Heinicke showed once again against Green Bay what his strengths are and what his weaknesses are, and that for all this talk about improving his arm strength and being smarter about his throws, for the most part he is the same guy we saw last season.  I swear the Hive sounds right now like other people sounded after the win over the Jags when it came to Wentz.  

A back up QB's job is to win games while the starter is out.  This idea that because a back up does exactly that, that somehow the starter is no longer going to be the starter is wrong.  Now if the coaches look at the film and make the assessment that Wentz was incapable of doing certain things in similar situations as Heinicke, then that is different, but a win over the Packers is hardly going to be enough fuel for a QB controversy.

From what I have seen I don't think anyone was uber-praising Taylor. Everyone said he sucked in the 1st half and did better in the 2nd half. Don't think that was uber-praise at all. The praise was that he did better than Wentz with the same OL for the most part. Moved around the pocket or climbed up the pocket, made anticipatory throws, looked away the safety, had a softer touch on the shorter throws, was not a statue, and so forth compared to Wentz. The players on the other hand were uber-excited during the game and after the game and they should be especially after a win. The whole debate about the arm strength was just that. A debate on does it work or not. Don't think it was a clear cut yeah it works. Maybe it helped him with his throwing motion but the distance is not going to improve to 65 yards bombs. I put Taylors arm at about 50 yards with somewhat accuracy. The ball he threw to Terry traveled 49 yards in the air. This is a throw Taylor didn't make last year. Is this an improvement? Maybe. 

There shouldn't be a QB controversy right now after one game. The starter is not benched when they are ready to go. With that said, let's assume we win the next 2-3 games what does Ron do here? Does he let Taylor play or bring back Wentz? Keep in mind right now we are only 1/2 a game away from being in the playoffs. If we lose the next 3 does he put in Howell or goes back to Wentz to see if there is a future with Wentz? Ron didn't give a committed answer to that and said he will make the decision when the time comes. There really isn't no clear cut answer right now. Wait and see at this point.

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

"A starter cannot lose his job because of an injury"

I can think of one reason when they should.

That cliche has been proven wrong time and time again. A starter absolutely can lose their job due to injury. It's unlikely but let's say TH helps us beat Indy, Minny, and Phi and CW's finger is healing nicely and he's almost ready to come back....aint no way Ron benches TH after he takes us from 2 - 4 to 6 - 4. Ron knows he needs to win and win now.

• Like 1

I think that 3rd down conversion to Terry is why the players love Heine so much.  A lot of QB's wont stay in there and absorb that hit to complete the pass.  I imagine Wentz would have tried to duck under only to get sacked or he just takes the sack outright but that is a gutsy play and to throw it accurately was impressive.

Such a shame Heine lacks almost every measurable because he owns all of the intangibles.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I think that 3rd down conversion to Terry is why the players love Heine so much.  A lot of QB's wont stay in there and absorb that hit to complete the pass.  I imagine Wentz would have tried to duck under only to get sacked or he just takes the sack outright but that is a gutsy play and to throw it accurately was impressive.

Such a shame Heine lacks almost every measurable because he owns all of the intangibles.

Gutsy play for sure, but Wentz laid the wood on Roquan Smith - had he not gotten hurt, I think that bought him a few more weeks.

In fairness to Taylor, I haven’t seen a Washington QB willing to lay his body out to complete a pass like that since Kirk.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Wentz laid the wood on Roquan Smith

I think he pancaked a guy in the Titans game too, he's got some impressive blocking skills.

I agree about Kirk, he used to take those big shots on the regular to make a play. 

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 3