Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

28 minutes ago, tshile said:

Um. The fact that Ryan wasn’t an option is sort of irrelevant. 

the colts dumped wentz without an option. 

that’s what’s relevant. They decided they were better off with whatever else they could find, down the road. 

Because the owner mandated it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like getting Wentz so no sour grapes from me.  Do I think we overpaid though?  Yes.  But when don't we in trades?   :ols:   Also if Wentz rediscovers his magic we got a great deal in that context so if he succeeds it won't be an overpay at all. 

Colts do IMO look masterful in getting more than what most expected for Wentz and then getting Ryan for less than some expected.  From what I am reading it looks like Baker can be had cheap, too.  Now obviously, we couldn't anticipate that the Watson pursuit would sour two different QBs at that current clubs. 

Yep when you panic you get screwed

11 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Yep when you panic you get screwed

I don't think they got screwed from the standpoint that I like having Wentz but I do think they could have gotten him cheaper.  The Ryan deal hasn't really shaken me from the stand point of darn I really wanted Ryan, instead.  I can argue Ryan and Wentz and get the argument for either.   But i think we paid more than we needed to.

The Ryan deal alone doesn't rub salt into that wounds but for me its that in combination with the narrative that Baker will be probably be had cheap.  I might prefer Wentz over Ryan and Baker but I think the point is arguable.  But it does feel like the prices of the homes in the neighborhood might have just gotten cheaper where we paid top of the market right before that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But it does feel like the prices of the homes in the neighborhood might have just gotten cheaper where we paid top of the market right before that.

The price only escalates due to demand and at the time we made the deal for Wentz demand was higher than it is now.  Demand obviously lessens as each team acquires their QB.  The market for Baker diminishes off of the fact that everybody now knows the Browns have to move him and there are less teams in need of a QB now.

Ron would be taking more bullets had he not been aggressive to acquire Wentz, and we'd still be left out here in Siberia.

While I like the Wentz deal, I'll definitely say the Wentz deal by a mile is the most unpopular of the QB deals from the perspective of both the local-national media. 

I thinks its amusing that the NFL Network has been running old games to showcase just about every major player that was moved in trades, especially QBs.  Ryan deal happens and bam we got a Ryan game being rerrun right now.  Unless i missed it, the NFL Network is just ignoring Wentz and not rebroadcasting any of his games as if he's unworthy of any positive attention.  :ols:

Like I've been saying maybe the media being so "meh" about the Wentz trade is a good sign.  They've mostly liked to love all the previous Qb deals over the years.  PFT Commentator who comes on the Finlay-Mitchell radio show who hated the deal initially said in his last appearance, this deal is hated so much by so many that he's starting to think it might be a good deal -- because a consensus take often doesn't translate to good things 😀

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Because the owner mandated it. 

Why would the owner throw Wentz out like yesterday's Taco Bell a year after giving up two premium picks for him? That's what concerns me. Irsay is definitely erratic at times, yes. However, I just feel like the Colts gave up on him awfully quick, and I don't think the fact he had a bad game against the Jaguars with the season on the line is the only reason.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

While I like the Wentz deal, I'll definitely say the Wentz deal by a mile is the most unpopular of the QB deals from the perspective of both the local-national media.

I definitely agree with this. I would absolutely have taken Wentz over the likes of Winston, Mariota, Bridgewater, Trubisky, etc.

I suppose there was no way to know Mayfield and Ryan would have been available for half a ham sandwhich.

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The price only escalates due to demand and at the time we made the deal for Wentz demand was higher than it is now.  Demand obviously lessens as each team acquires their QB.  The market for Baker diminishes off of the fact that everybody now knows the Browns have to move him and there are less teams in need of a QB now.

Ron would be taking more bullets had he not been aggressive to acquire Wentz, and we'd still be left out here in Siberia.

I've supported the deal and still do.  But I do think the odds are good Ballard played our FO some as to the price.  I am ok with it.  I like Wentz.  I like this roll of the dice.  I am not crying over what they gave up in the trade but I do think they likely overpaid.  Heck even guys like Albert Breer who love Rivera and sucks up to this team a lot -- thinks they overpaid.  That is, could have gotten Wentz cheaper.  But sticking with Breer's other point which I also agree with -- if Wentz works out big or another QB they rolled the dice on than no one will care what they gave up. 

A better way for me to put it is on the off chance Wentz doesn't work out and they discard him like the Colts did -- a 2nd and third is a steep price for a rental.  If they gave up only a third like the Colts did for Ryan I think that's cheap enough if the roll of the dice fails. 

7 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I definitely agree with this. I would absolutely have taken Wentz over the likes of Winston, Mariota, Bridgewater, Trubisky, etc.

I suppose there was no way to know Mayfield and Ryan would have been available for half a ham sandwhich.

Agree with this.  So I don't really fault them for not seeing the market potentially crash.  My only mild criticism of the Wentz deal is that I suspect (though I clearly don't know for sure) that if they played hard to get more they'd have gotten him cheaper.  I believe the Steelers was likely the main competition and I wonder how big they would have paid?  granted that's just a hunch, no way to know. 

8 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Why would the owner throw Wentz out like yesterday's Taco Bell a year after giving up two premium picks for him? That's what concerns me. Irsay is definitely erratic at times, yes. However, I just feel like the Colts gave up on him awfully quick, and I don't think the fact he had a bad game against the Jaguars with the season on the line is the only reason.

Irsay was frustrated Wentz was injured before the season started. He then essentially called him out for not getting vaccinated. Wentz then missed practice at a critical stage of the season due to covid. Irsay then said after the season that to win in this league you need elite QB play.

In short, he was generally pissed off with him and he is fairly ruthless/trigger happy in his decision making. Therefore it was game over very quickly.

• Like 2

Wentz was a good move. If he got released he probably would have gone to the steelers. Would it have been better to get Mayfield or Ryan cheaper maybe. 

Wentz is bigger then Mayfield and younger then Ryan. We gave up more capital but his upside is alot more then the other two qb. Wentz is under contract for 2 more years at a good price. If we had taken either of the other two they would be free agents at end of year.

Rivera bet his coaching job with Washington on Wentz so I think it will work out. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'll take Wentz over Ryan all day, not because I'm under the illusion he's our savior and we got our guy for the future but to me taking on a reclamation project is about upside, Wentz to me has true upside and has been playing below his skill set and maybe he never gets that confidence back but that's why I like the fact we can get out with no cap penalties after 1 year.

To me Ryan has no upside, at 36 he is what he is and what he is isn't worth guaranteeing $54MM over the next two years.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'll take Wentz over Ryan all day, not because I'm under the illusion he's our savior and we got our guy for the future but to me taking on a reclamation project is about upside, Wentz to me has true upside and has been playing below his skill set and maybe he never gets that confidence back but that's why I like the fact we can get out with no cap penalties after 1 year.

To me Ryan has no upside, at 36 he is what he is and what he is isn't worth guaranteeing $54MM over the next two years.

That is ****ing insane that they are paying Matt Ryan that kind of money. Absolutely incredible. I have no other words.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Honestly if I was the 49ers I'd run it back with Jimmy G.  They were a dropped INT from the SB.  And with the NFC so weak they're right there.  I know they gave up a lot for Lance and would like to recoup some picks but why rush Lance?  You're this close with the team you have just go for it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, drowland said:

Honestly if I was the 49ers I'd run it back with Jimmy G.  They were a dropped INT from the SB.  And with the NFC so weak they're right there.  I know they gave up a lot for Lance and would like to recoup some picks but why rush Lance?  You're this close with the team you have just go for it.

Why not...better than a ham sandwich give away.

Unless of course they get a good offer

I think people are forgetting what we will pay Wentz year two and three if we keep him. It is just year 1 that might look a little high. Sure the picks are there but it is not like we were going to strike gold and end up with some hall-a-famer with those picks either. 

I am okay with the Wentz trade. Never really liked Matty ice. He blew it in the SB. He has never been the same after - and no I am not going to look up his stats to prove myself wrong...lol

59 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

From what I am seeing, ATL eats the dead cap and G money. The Colts could cut Ryan right now for no penalty, let alone next season. He has no G money at all in his contract w/ the Colts.

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-ryan/823/

Wentz has a lot of G money this year, but after that its all un-g I believe.

Could we please stop pretending like we overpaid for wentz, quarterbacks are expensive. 

If a guy accused of sexualy assaulting 23 women while the consequences of that are still very much up in the air, and also missed an entire year of football is still worth 3 firsts a 3rd and two 4th's plus 46 million a year guaranteed for 5 years then a 29 year old with a 4 to 1 td to interception ratio last year is without question worth a 3rd and most likely a second. 

Look at it this way.

Which scenario do you think gives us the best chance of having a good quarterback. 

Getting wentz or drafting a quarterback in the 3rd round this year and the second or possibly 3rd next year?

Since so few post 1st round quarterbacks succeed in the nfl I think the answer is obvious.