Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I think we are going to offer the best contract to the elite QBs out there. And quite honestly, I don't think we can pay too much. The last 2 SB teams were won because both teams had a MASSIVE upgrade at QB. I personally hope we end up with Watson. And if not him, happy to have Rodgers or Wilson if there is a way to land either, but I'm still scared by the McNabb signing. He was 1 year from Wilson's age. I'd MUCH rather have the young QB who's not even hit his prime IMO. 

29 minutes ago, Giddy4Gibson said:

I think we are going to offer the best contract to the elite QBs out there. And quite honestly, I don't think we can pay too much. The last 2 SB teams were won because both teams had a MASSIVE upgrade at QB. I personally hope we end up with Watson. And if not him, happy to have Rodgers or Wilson if there is a way to land either, but I'm still scared by the McNabb signing. He was 1 year from Wilson's age. I'd MUCH rather have the young QB who's not even hit his prime IMO. 

He has got to get cleared from all criminal cases. I was looking on the texans message board they think he will get charged in two of the cases criminally. I think he is out for next year. In fact I don't think he gets traded this year. 

If Wentz gets cut or can be had for a 5th rounder maybe we should go in that direction. He does have skills it would be his last chance. Price would be right.

Edited by Redskins 2021

29 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Uncharted territory, this type of deal. No history to lean on. Doesn’t surprise me it will have to wait for the organization to have less power contractually. Just doesn’t make sense for an older QB to deplete the roster they’re going to when that older QB is legacy driven at this stage of their career (most are at this point). 

It sounds cool that a 33 year old veteran elite QB can not only leverage a trade to the team of their choice but also lessen impact of the trade for the team making the deal.  To me its a fun fantasy.   Not likely reality.

Just as its a fun fantasy to think that Tom Brady will establish a trend of more QBs following his lead to take less than their market value to build the rest of the roster.

• Thumb up 1

Rodgers is either staying in GB or going to DEN. Watson is DQ'd. Carr is likely staying in LV.

The only top-tier starter we have a chance at getting is Wilson. If Seattle isn't willing to trade him unless they're "blown away" by the offer, then it's time to pay through the nose to get him.

We're handicapped by the fact that we can't send a good QB the other way. So we'll need to pay even more than say Philly, who would send Hurts.

Three 1's, three 2's, Sweat or Payne, another starter.

Does that sound like too much? Well the alternative is Jimmy G or Trubisky. Think about that

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Because our idiot HC ignored the position for 2 years 

I think its obvious but sub 5% chance of it actually happening without grossly overpaying compared to the other teams in the running and the top QBs could all say **** that im not going to Washington. 

Ron and Co are totally unaware of their situation. 

Forgot if it was Keim or Standig but one said just a few days ago they probably wouldn't have been able to get Stafford unless they outbid the Rams by a decent margin.  So the Rams gave up two #1's a 3rd and Jared Goff.  Some seem to think the Lions took Goff as a favor to the Rams but insiders have said the opposite, Goff was liked by the Lions GM who helped draft him.  So what would if have taken from us -- I'd guess two #1 picks and maybe two #2 round picks and Daron Payne.

I do not know what they thought was too high a price for Justin Fields aside from it was steep and required a player in addition to picks.  Guessing maybe two #1's a #2nd and Montez Sweat? The Bears traded with the Giants but that was further down the draft, the Giants wouldn't be making a deal with us I gather considering the history between Mara and Dan. 

As for Ron being totally unaware.  I don't get the impression at all.  It's clear he gets that the league sees this place as a dumpster fire thus he's trying a heavy handed approach to sell this team including apparently leveraging his connections with the national media who are helping the sell.  Do you prefer he just gave up the pitch and said hey Dan is a dumpster fire owner, I won't try to hide it, so any QB who is thinking about coming here, please beware?  Doesn't he have to give it a try?  😀

As I've said before for the small group of maybe a few here who want Rivera gone.  It might be amusing to see it happen, from the perspective of gawking at a car crash.  Let Danny with either a retread who has been out of the NFL coach or some obscure coordinator go get their Qb without having someone fronting the whole drill that brings credibility.  It might be amusing to watch -- maybe they can talk Brissett in that case signing on as a FA? 

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 3.19.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 3.19.59 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Winston is out there too. 

For this year he may not be that bad. Sign him 2 year and prepare to make your move next year.

One of the nfc west teams will rebuild after this year. Ravens will make a decision on L. Jackson. There are 2 to 3 franchise Qb available. 

Build this team up this year 10 wins and playoffs. Add Wr, MLB, G. Then next year it's do or die on Qb.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

Which of the available, potential “bridge” qbs would be the best option as a mentor type?  I don’t mean in terms of teaching a rook, but more so in terms of setting an example of how to be an NFL qb (work ethic, leadership, etc).

I’m afraid the answer might be Garoppolo.  I’ve been against a trade for him (mainly due to the cost vs production discrepancy), but he’d buy time for a 2nd rounder (if we still have a 2nd rounder… maybe Ridder?), and/or still allow us to try to trade up in 2023.  Yes, if he stays healthy we’re likely to have to give up a ransom to move up (in 2023), but at least we could then trade JG either next year or prior to his 3rd year.

I don’t like the idea, but the other options have so many warts - production/talent and/or personality issues (not that Garoppolo is a clean talent of course). 

Mayfield and Ryan, if available, probably fit the bill as well.  They’d surely cost more (trade wise), and they’d be expensive rentals until the 2023 or 2024 draft…

No good options unfortunately.  Giving up the moon for Wilson may be our best bet, but man, that trade cost is a massive risk.

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Which of the available, potential “bridge” qbs would be the best option as a mentor type?  I don’t mean in terms of teaching a rook, but more so in terms of setting an example of how to be an NFL qb (work ethic, leadership, etc).

I’m afraid the answer might be Garoppolo.  I’ve been against a trade for him (mainly due to the cost vs production discrepancy), but he’d buy time for a 2nd rounder (if we still have a 2nd rounder… maybe Ridder?), and/or still allow us to try to trade up in 2023.  Yes, if he stays healthy we’re likely to have to give up a ransom to move up (in 2023), but at least we could then trade JG either next year or prior to his 3rd year.

I don’t like the idea, but the other options have so many warts - production/talent and/or personality issues (not that Garoppolo is a clean talent of course). 

Mayfield and Ryan, if available, probably fit the bill as well.  They’d surely cost more (trade wise), and they’d be expensive rentals until the 2023 or 2024 draft…

No good options unfortunately.  Giving up the moon for Wilson may be our best bet, but man, that trade cost is a massive risk.

What would you think about Winston?

If the Colts release Wentz we shouldn't hesitate. If he can get over this mental block he is a top 10 qb.  Don't forget that he was the mpv favorite before he got hurt in 2018 (I believe it was that season). The whole Foles winning the super bowl and drafting Hurtz really messed with Wentz.  But he is a giant step above every qb in this draft. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

What would you think about Winston?

Winston is not known for his decision making. He was better known for his turnovers. Given that, I'm not sure he would make a great mentor. I might be totally wrong about that though.

1 minute ago, Daniel.redskins said:

If the Colts release Wentz we shouldn't hesitate. If he can get over this mental block he is a top 10 qb.  Don't forget that he was the mpv favorite before he got hurt in 2018 (I believe it was that season). The whole Foles winning the super bowl and drafting Hurtz really messed with Wentz.  But he is a giant step above every qb in this draft. 

I don't know. He's already gone through two coaching staffs. It'd be a tough sell except on the very cheap to give him his last shot.

Just now, Burgold said:

Winston is not known for his decision making. He was better known for his turnovers. Given that, I'm not sure he would make a great mentor. I might be totally wrong about that though.

I could see that. He is the most talented of the group but is absolutely know for turnovers. 

9 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I could see that. He is the most talented of the group but is absolutely know for turnovers. 

That was largely highlighted by his final year in Tampa, 2019, when he threw 30 INTs....whilst also throwing 30+ TDs and over 5,000 yards it should be noted.

He was going well in 2021, 5-2 record 14/3 TD INT ratio.

Im not convinced he’s a viable option, but I’m warming to the idea over say Trubisky, Jimmy G etc.

Thats is still plan B though after aiming much higher first.

Winston, BPA non-QB at #11, then the best available QB next in either the second round, or by trading back up...yeah I could maybe see that.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The size of his hands is talked about everywhere.  In fact, I’d bet if you took a poll of the average NFL fan the #1 thing they know about Pickett is that he has small hands.

That said, I find it odd that you keep making note of this dudes potential physical limitations given how you’ve chosen to die on Heineke Hill.  I would think you’d have a soft spot for such things.

One can grip the football better and can scramble and make Houdini types of play. The other can't and has small hands to boot. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just as its a fun fantasy to think that Tom Brady will establish a trend of more QBs following his lead to take less than their market value to build the rest of the roster.

*A bit extra dialogue that can get thrown in with other conversations in the past lol

I think Stafford decided to be an asset financially when joining the Rams. He didn’t maximize his earnings last off-season. This was 100% a choice he made.

Mahomes and Allen decided to take a bit less by signing longer term deals than the recent 10 year trend that has seen the QB sign 4 year deals in an attempt to maximize career earnings. As you know, shorter term deals handicap the organization more than a longer term deals. I don’t think it will necessarily become a trend, but when a GOAT does it a certain way it’s bound to influence some.

I believe this was the model/expectation of the QB previously. Im not opposed to paying the elite, my number 1 issue/gripe for last 6 years or so is paying average to above comparable money to the elites. It’s a losing formula. 

Maybe it will become like the NBA and the top 20 get paid similarly no matter the gap and impact in talent. Totally bias as I’m still romantic about the integrity of football and it being the ultimate team sport. The player (QB) will likely take over much like the NBA superstar. Kyler Murray, the narrative is the Cardinals need to do all they can to make him happy, much like an NBA type situation.

Soon the elite QBs will be dealt like the NBA guys, prepare for that. Imagine that, getting an elite QB only to have demand a trade. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

He's an option and better than Jimmy G for my money. 

I think the end result would be the same as Jimmy G. We'd get a very modest upgrade, probably have to part with a 2nd round pick, probably have to give him a big new contract, and probably be no closer to winning a SB than we are right now.

Pass.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the end result would be the same as Jimmy G. We'd get a very modest upgrade, probably have to part with a 2nd round pick, probably have to give him a big new contract, and probably be no closer to winning a SB than we are right now.

Pass.

He an fa sign him for 2 years he is the best of a bad bunch. If it goes bad this year get rid of him.  He makes us competitive for the year probably get us to ten wins. 

Then make a real plan to get a top vet qb or franchise rookie next season. Move some pieces around, get some more draft picks, and solve this problem once and for all. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

I think Rivera made two glaring errors at QB. One I write off as circumstantial. The second I do think he screwed up.

1) Giving Haskins a shot. I was “okay” with giving him a shot based on his play at the end of the season but would have preferred we look elsewhere because… well… Dwayne Haskins. But myself, among others, figured Rivera have Dan a promise he’d at the very least give Dwayne a chance. He did that. It was a mistake but one that probably couldn’t have been avoided. I do wish we had a better option on roster prior to the impending skid and fail.

2) Not trading up for Fields or Jones. Say what you want about either of them but Fields would have generated excitement and he’d be a year in at this point. Jones would have been steady and been one of those QBs you can win with but not because of immediately. This one is the one that burns me.

15 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

He an fa sign him for 2 years he is the best of a bad bunch. If it goes bad this year get rid of him.  He makes us competitive for the year probably get us to ten wins. 

Then make a real plan to get a top vet qb or franchise rookie next season. Move some pieces around, get some more draft picks, and solve this problem once and for all. 

He won't make us competitive in any real sense. He would probably help us get another couple wins, but we'd still be no closer to actually winning a SB or, more importantly, being a perennial contender.

And in 2023 what's the plan to get a "top vet QB" or "franchise rookie"? There's no reason to think the vet FA market will be any better next year and the top QB prospects will almost surely go top 3. If we win 10 games we aren't going to be able to trade up that high without giving up probably 3 1sts, 3 2nds and a couple of top players. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Rivera made two glaring errors at QB. One I write off as circumstantial. The second I do think he screwed up.

1) Giving Haskins a shot. I was “okay” with giving him a shot based on his play at the end of the season but would have preferred we look elsewhere because… well… Dwayne Haskins. But myself, among others, figured Rivera have Dan a promise he’d at the very least give Dwayne a chance. He did that. It was a mistake but one that probably couldn’t have been avoided. I do wish we had a better option on roster prior to the impending skid and fail.

2) Not trading up for Fields or Jones. Say what you want about either of them but Fields would have generated excitement and he’d be a year in at this point. Jones would have been steady and been one of those QBs you can win with but not because of immediately. This one is the one that burns me.

Agreed with the bolded.  Jones was my #1 choice at QB and was hoping we'd draft or trade up for him.  His has to act this year on the QB position priority #1 and he knows, the NFL and the fans know it.   

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think trading up for Fields was possible.  The Giants weren't trading down with us.  I don't see Denver or Carolina trading down (and passing on Horn & Surtain).  Regarding Mac Jones, the Chargers weren't trading down when Slater was there.  Minny was the only trading partner.  Ce could have traded up to Minny (the Jets traded up for AVT).  It would have cost our two 3rd rounders.  In retrospect, we should have done it.  I don't know how the FO felt about Jones to be fair.  Honestly, the worst outcome of last year was not finding a way to get Davis Mills.