Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

18 minutes ago, sinews said:

Other coaches who need to prove themselves? Bobby Johnson, o-line coach. Looks like he'll have his work cut out for him, given how the draft is falling. 

Yes, this feels like the weak link, both coaching and personnel wise, that could bring down the whole house of cards if not adressed/handled perfectly. Haven't done enough yet FA-wise, and kind of thought we'd move back into late first before all the 'top' OT were gone, but we'll see what happens with the rest of the draft and (hopefully) with additional FA signings.  Who knows whether Bobby Johnson can get the job done, skeptical but fingers crossed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yes as to Keim referenced before the draft he was under the impression that JJ was #2

In his podcast from last night after the pick Keim specifically said he thought "JJ was a guy Adam Peters really liked." Not saying it was his first choice, because it wasn't, but I certainly believe JJ was the second choice now. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Just to clarify your statement, are you saying Jayden Daniels is worse than Howell? Even after including 5 years of control vs 2?

That's a big statement.

Absolutely not.  My question was why get rid of him in the first place. He would be a great back up for this team. It's about winning if JD does go down. This whole idea of trading him so he could start somewhere else flys in the face of good business. 

I spent approximately zero time before the draft looking into these guys, and I have to say that Jayden doesn't look skinny or fragile. He's tall and rangy but there's clearly some muscle and power there. The way some of you were talking, I was expecting him to be some wraith-like Emmanuel Forbes type!

My durability concern is more about him learning how to avoid hits and when "enough is enough." Even the stoutest QBs like Lamar get hurt when they try to be full-on RBs.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Conn said:

People still talking about Howell right now are sick. Get some perspective. Should be the furthest thing from your mind, appreciate the 3rd round pick we have instead and move on

Why is it sick to want the best backup we can get? I apologize for not having your perspective on the subject. I will look into that and make corrections.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sinews said:

In his podcast from last night after the pick Keim specifically said he thought "JJ was a guy Adam Peters really liked." Not saying it was his first choice, because it wasn't, but I certainly believe JJ was the second choice now. 

Yeah he eleborated quite a bit this morning.  Came off like the opposite what some in the thread thought which is that Peters came here in part because he loved Maye.  Keim pretty much said a dude who works there knew from the jump that Peters loved Daniels. Right from the start.

Yeah as far as the JJ part of it.  The thing that hits me about it is that they clearly didn't love Maye.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Winning games in college is not a translatable skill to the NFL. 

If you had a super talented guy who went 5-7 every season but you thought he'd be a great QB. Furthermore, lots of great players have won state titles at the high school level.  He apparently did win a league HS title in his area. 

You'd describe him as a "winner"? Why not pick competitor, great QB, etc. Winner is dumb when you haven't won at any level. 

Enjoying hearing all the sound bites of Peters talking about Jayden.  He is in love.  Obviously all GMs talk glowingly about their first round pick but AP doesn't strike me as a guy who is just touting the pick.  He loves him.  "He takes the soul from the defense"... lol.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Why is it sick to want the best backup we can get? I apologize for not having your perspective on the subject. I will look into that and make corrections.

The entire focus has to be on developing JD. Having last year's starter on the bench behind him only serves as a distraction.

Mariota's actually a very good choice for a backup. He'll be able to step in well enough if needed, but he is firmly in the backup category. Everyone's roles are clear.

Getting a third-round pick for a fifth-round guy seems like pretty good business, I'd say.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, profusion said:

The entire focus has to be on developing JD. Having last year's starter on the bench behind him only serves as a distraction.

Mariota's actually a very good choice for a backup. He'll be able to step in well enough if needed, but he is firmly in the backup category. Everyone's roles are clear.

Getting a third-round pick for a fifth-round guy seems like pretty good business, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be one thing if Howell were a couple years out from starting but it was last year. And you want someone with a bit more experience to at least potentially contribute in the QB room, even if they don't think their role is outright mentorship. I do understand not wanting to give up on Howell entirely but his P2S ratio is up there and it showed last year. He may not be the one you want Daniels modeling or mimicking. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Yes, this feels like the weak link, both coaching and personnel wise, that could bring down the whole house of cards if not adressed/handled perfectly. Haven't done enough yet FA-wise, and kind of thought we'd move back into late first before all the 'top' OT were gone, but we'll see what happens with the rest of the draft and (hopefully) with additional FA signings.  Who knows whether Bobby Johnson can get the job done, skeptical but fingers crossed.

I agree. I was very aware during the 1st round how they kept coming off the board. I like Suamataia. He is the only one I have really looked into.  I think we have a decent shot at him, and he can play either right or left tackle. I don't know what we would have to give up, maybe our other 2nd round pick, hopefully not, but the O line desperately needs to be shored up heading into the season, with any QB, but especially JD. I don't think he could take the pounding Howell took.  

6 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Agreed. It would be one thing if Howell were a couple years out from starting but it was last year. And you want someone with a bit more experience to at least potentially contribute in the QB room, even if they don't think their role is outright mentorship. I do understand not wanting to give up on Howell entirely but his P2S ratio is up there and it showed last year. He may not be the one you want Daniels modeling or mimicking. 

Not just more experience, but more experience with different teams and different systems. Mariota's probably seen it all at this point. He also seems more comparable to JD in terms of his abilities and style, which could matter in terms of mentoring.

Howell's a great guy, and I wish him luck in Seattle. I just don't see him as the right backup or mentor in Washington.

Edited by profusion

19 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

We’ll have potentially many backups over the years, I hope they’re all great. That’s not why you’re attached to Howell. He didn’t work out, we have a new QB. I think it makes sense to not dwell on the guy who was bad 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Still don't get why we traded Howell if JD was the pick. Pretty stupid IMHO.

Because as real as Madden is, The NFL is not a video game and these guys are human.

The consensus theory is that this pick is coming in to start. Maybe not in Week 1, 2024, but the franchise's fortunes will sink or swim for the next three seasons, minimum, based on this pick.

Howell is a heck of a competitor, but anyone paying attention knows his shortcomings and can see a ceiling. That doesn't mean that HE agrees. He wants to compete, play, and earn his 2nd contract. OTOH, as a 3rd year player and single season incumbent starter, he is not so seasoned a veteran to take on the mentoring role for someone only a couple years younger in the QB room. I'm not crazy about Mariota on the field, but Peters evidently believes Mariota can be a bridge, knows his role, and can provide that supportive veteran presence in the locker room.

All of that holds true with regard to Drake Maye, plus the fact that Howell is only expected to only be a placeholder for the same kid who succeeded him in college, yet couldn't beat him out when both were there.

At the end of the day, Howell's value would never have been higher and WSH gave up a spare part to improve two draft slots (#102 becomes #78 and #179 becomes #152). It was the correct decision.

Edited by CTskins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 1:48 PM, Idaho fan said:

1. Bears take Williams 

2.  Washington takes Daniels

3.  Patriots take Maye

4. Cardinals take Harrison Jr.

5. Vikings trade up for McCarthy

Anyone in this thread get the first 5 exactly correct?  I had the right players to all 5 teams - just didn't get the trade at 5 correct.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Anyone in this thread get the first 5 exactly correct?  I had the right players to all 5 teams - just didn't get the trade at 5 correct.

I had the same prediction as you.

Thiiiis close to nailing it.

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Still don't get why we traded Howell if JD was the pick. Pretty stupid IMHO.

They just simply didn't like these two QBs from UNC lol

But seriously, I really liked Howell even before we drafted him. He was even #1 QB in passing for the 1st half of the season (we threw a lot of course). The defenders bounced off of him when he ran with the football (you are not going to see that with JD though). This year before the draft I started to warm up to JD even though thought Maye is the more prototypical QB in this year's draft and younger. I have no problem with JD. He is an electric player and will/should be exciting to watch on game day.  

With all that said, unfortunately Howell didn't have enough experience to be the backup. Also, he didn't have enough on his resume to be the starter where the rook could just sit behind him for a year or two. So not stupid at all as this gives Howell the chance to prove that he belongs in the NFL and probably choose the team that can help him obtain that goal. 

I will be rooting for Howell, not the Seahawks, if one day he takes them to the SB. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah he eleborated quite a bit this morning.  Came off like the opposite what some in the thread thought which is that Peters came here in part because he loved Maye.  Keim pretty much said a dude who works there knew from the jump that Peters loved Daniels. Right from the start.

Yeah as far as the JJ part of it.  The thing that hits me about it is that they clearly didn't love Maye.    

This is now abundantly clear, and it provides now two data points in terms of analyzing Peters' quarterback assessment skills as we watch what happens going forward. In other words if Daniels and McCarthy turn out pretty good while Maye fails, he looks really good. If Maye emerges really good and the other two not so much, it's a pretty scathing indictment of his analysis. Most likely it'll be somewhere in between.

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I've seen every decent QB make that kind of throw. Especially taking big hits to make sure the ball goes out (he actually threw before the hit.) It's not exactly heartening to think that "oh if he just puts more of this on tape" when you see the other top guys do it a bunch.  I expect a franchise QB (and good college QBs) to throw to a spot and take a hit.  

What I want to see more is extending a play and keeping eyes downfield, pointing guys to areas or communicating so they come back to the ball. That's what even immobile Qbs do on occasion when they get out of the pocket.

Just because he didn't pick Maye does not mean Peters did not like him. They brought him along all the way to the end of the process. He was considered.

What prevented Maye from being the selection was the amount of work that had to be put in him to get him where he needs to be to have a chance at success. Peters flat out said he was not looking to take a project, and Drake Maye is a project. Mechanics, footwork, decision making... practically all the fundamentals of the QB position.

You don't take projects when you are sitting at the top of the draft and there are polished prospects with really high upside. You don't take God-Bod Anthony Richardson when CJ Stroud and Bryce Young are right there. It played out again this year.

We got a player w/ uber high upside who already has polish in the most important areas you can ask for as a passer. You can't ask for much more as an NFL exec.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

15 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Just because he didn't pick Maye does not mean Peters did not like him. They brought him along all the way to the end of the process. He was considered.

What prevented Maye from being the selection was the amount of work that had to be put in him to get him where he needs to be to have a chance at success. Peters flat out said he was not looking to take a project, and Drake Maye is a project. Mechanics, footwork, decision making... practically all the fundamentals of the QB position.

You don't take projects when you are sitting at the top of the draft and there are polished prospects with really high upside. You don't take God-Bod Anthony Richardson when CJ Stroud and Bryce Young are right there. It played out again this year.

We got a player w/ uber high upside who already has polish in the most important areas you can ask for as a passer. You can't ask for much more as an NFL exec.

I also think since they got a few players on a 1 year contract so they want to hit the ground running and don't want to take more time than needed to develop at the QB position. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I would prefer Maye to be a complete bust at this point. Worse than Zach Wilson. Patriots deserve some decades of turmoil. It’s the only proper outcome. Most obnoxious fans on the planet. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

This is now abundantly clear, and it provides now two data points in terms of analyzing Peters' quarterback assessment skills as we watch what happens going forward. In other words if Daniels and McCarthy turn out pretty good while Maye fails, he looks really good. If Maye emerges really good and the other two not so much, it's a pretty scathing indictment of his analysis. Most likely it'll be somewhere in between.

Will see.

Also the more I've digested leading up to the draft and today too.  

Peters falls with most scouts and coaches on one issue but not another.

Consistent with the masses of scouts-coaches

A.  Daniels >> Maye.  I've seen and heard this nonstop anywhere and everywhere including McGinn's scouts.  But reporter after reporter has said the same, not just Keim, Breer, Schefter.  Mike Jones doubled down on it.  Standig on and on.  The large majority of them thought it was Daniels over Maye by a clear peg versus neck and neck

Inconsistent with the masses of scouts-coaches

B.  McCarthy >> Maye.  that's an outlier take.  There were some other ourlier takes like that too from some of what other reporters heard -- but the majority of them thought Maye > McCarthy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2