Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Interesting, because didn't he say the opposite like two days ago on the other program, that he matter-of-factly stated it would be Maye? Spielman is just like the rest of us at this point. His reasoning echoes speculation that we've heard elsewhere already so I still don't think it's coming from inside the building. Could certainly be legit, however. 

Just now, Going Commando said:

Yeah.  Kingsbury is the quintessential mercenary too, with a talent for latching on to bigger talents and failing upward.  I would make zero long term plans for anything concerning him.  I also wouldn't spend the second overall pick in the draft with a one year vision.  Recapturing 2012 is not the best this franchise can do, I'm not listening to assholes like RGIII telling me I should be happy with that.  I want us to tell the league to **** off with this "take Jayden Daniels and be happy and let the good teams get the franchise QB" crap.   

I keep going back to Josh Harris's press conference. There are no shortcuts to success. Daniels is the equivalent of a shortcut. Take Maye and build a team that can dominate from 2025-2035. 

I can't stand anyone who suggests we should take someone based on what Kingsbury would want. If he were the HEAD COACH then MAYBE. But he's an OC. One who doesn't really have the best track record(don't get me wrong I liked the hire, but he's not without his warts). Make him design an offense around the most talented QB or tell him he can kick rocks and find someone else who can.

Once again. "Your job is to coach the team I give you." 

• Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Put your money where your keyboard is challenge:  Predict the top 5 picks for bragging rights.

1. Bears - Caleb
2. Commanders - Daniels
3. Patriots - Maye
4. Giants Panic Trade up  - JJ
5. Chargers - Marvin Harrison the Truth Jr.

Tiebreaker Bonus: Vikings Pick: Nix

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

If they pick Jayden and he busts, and Maye goes on to succeed, that's going to be it for me.  So they better be right if they do.

It won't be it for me, it will just be a further diminishment of my attention. This team had about 80-90% of my sporting attention 1979-1993, and probably 70-75% of it 1994-2012, but the past decade its dropped to 10-20%, and botching this will drop it further. I just have other teams either performing far better and giving me much more joy on a consistent level, or at least building properly. Nothing about this pick makes sense to me at all, the good news is I'm wrong a large percentage of the time on who will be great, the bad news is guys Im convinced will be bad almost always are. Otoh, I don't really feel the same way I did about Zach Wilson or Pickett, where I was nearly 100% sure, the bad news is its kind of close to that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sinews said:

Interesting, because didn't he say the opposite like two days ago on the other program, that he matter-of-factly stated it would be Maye? Spielman is just like the rest of us at this point. His reasoning echoes speculation that we've heard elsewhere already so I still don't think it's coming from inside the building. Could certainly be legit, however. 

Yeah the only reason I give him a bit more cred is because he was on the committee that hired Peters, so if anyone has any insight on Peters's thought process it'd be him. But ultimately he's just guessing too.

49 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

What happens when Chicago doesn't pick Williams? What if they take Maye? I realize this is not going to happen, but I was curious as to the selection we would make. Daniels or Williams?

It could be ripe for injury as Adam Peters pulls a hamstring running to the phone to select Williams.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

Put your money where your keyboard is challenge:  Predict the top 5 picks for bragging rights.

1. Bears - Caleb
2. Commanders - Daniels
3. Patriots - Maye

Tiebreaker Bonus: Viking Pick: Nix

1. Bears-Williams

2. Commanders-Daniels

3. Patriots-Maye

4. Cardinals-Harrison jr

5. Vikings-McCarthy

I feel like this top 5 is pretty much a lock at this point, with the only issue being the order of Daniels/Maye/McCarthy.

• Like 2

Anyone else notice how many times Maye throws the outside go route and outside fade out of bounds? It happens quite often. This worries me about him, while he does have a great arm, he really struggles with ball placement on outside routes

Just now, mac8887 said:

Anyone else notice how many times Maye throws the outside go route and outside fade out of bounds? It happens quite often. This worries me about him, while he does have a great arm, he really struggles with ball placement on outside routes

Its hard when you have to make the perfect throw everytime because your WRs suck. Oh and you're always under pressure because your OL sucks.

He's also only 21 and not a finished product by any means.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If Peters prefers Maye he better effing take Maye.

"Your job is to coach the team I give you." - Sonny Weaver jr. from Draft Day

Peters is a weak willed idiot.    It's sad that he made a lateral move to a team where he again enjoys no power.

Even sadder Keim saying that he believes Maye is likely ranked 3rd to the brass.  I am guessing that's all about the coaches while Peters is screaming to Harris dude i love Maye -- that Daniels guy is a joke and Harris tells him to let go of this and let Quinn do his magic.

Even sadder that this team would rather win a couple more games with a more proready QB even though they understand they will take the hit the year after for taking the next Josh Johnson instead of the next Josh Allen.

Crazy that Josh Harris has already put the regime in year 1 in a win or else season.  

People we once loved like Keim and Cooley among others letting us down

So many sad and crazy things are going on.  I never thought I'd say I really wish this was Dan Snyder-Bruce Allen running this team again. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Someone who follows the rest of the league more than  I: do the Raiders even have the ammo to trade up to 3 if Daniels were sitting there? I don't know what their draft picks look like off hand. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Its hard when you have to make the perfect throw everytime because your WRs suck. Oh and you're always under pressure because your OL sucks.

He's also only 21 and not a finished product by any means.

No rookie is a finished product

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Peters is a weak willed idiot.    It's sad that he made a lateral move to a team where he again enjoys no power.

Even sadder Keim saying that he believes Maye is likely ranked 3rd to the brass.  I am guessing that's al about the coaches while Peters is screaming to Harris dude i love Maye -- that Daniels guy is a joke and Harris tells him to let go of this and let Quinn do his magic.

Even sadder that this team would rather win a couple more games with a more proready QB even though they understand they will take the hit the year after for taking the next Josh Johnson instead of the next Josh Allen.

Crazy that Josh Harris has already put the regime in year 1 in a win or else season.  

So many said and crazy things are going on.  I never thought I'd say I really wish this was Dan Snyder-Bruce Allen running this team again. 

I know you're being facetious, but you don't think a first time GM is capable of succumbing to a veteran HC(who is known for being charismatic and persuasive)and OC? 

I just feel like Peters, with his advanced scouting background, would want nothing to do with Daniels. If he legit believes he's the best prospect then fine, I'll live with that in disagreement until/unless I'm proven wrong. But I don't know, it just smells fishy to me.

• Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

1. Bears - Caleb
2. Commanders - Daniels
3. Patriots - Maye

Tiebreaker Bonus: Vikings Pick: Nix

1. Bears - Williams

2. Commanders - JJ McCarthy 

3. Pats - Daniels

4. Cardinals - MHJ

5. Vikings (trade) - Maye 

I have a feeling they surprise everyone and go JJ

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, sinews said:

Someone who follows the rest of the league more than  I: do the Raiders even have the ammo to trade up to 3 if Daniels were sitting there? I don't know what their draft picks look like off hand. 

Yeah, probably. Depends on the Patriots willingness to move off the pick, though. Probably involved #13, #44 and the 2025 and 2026 1sts.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sinews said:

Not really. They just have the standard allotment of picks. They'd have to make an 2012 RG3 type offer and even that might not be enough. Vikings have more ammo and Giants are picking higher up so if they match, the Pats would take their deal.

• Thanks 1

I know you're being facetious, but you don't think a first time GM is capable of succumbing to a veteran HC(who is known for being charismatic and persuasive)and OC? 

I just feel like Peters, with his advanced scouting background, would want nothing to do with Daniels. If he legit believes he's the best prospect then fine, I'll live with that in disagreement until/unless I'm proven wrong. But I don't know, it just smells fishy to me.

I remember Quinn saying that it’s Peters choice who we will be drafting. Yes I imagine that Quinn will give his input but at the end of the day Peters will have final say.

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Yesterday was either a hell of a smoke screen or it’s really down to Daniel’s and McCarthy. I do not think anything is coming from the front office but other teams scouts/agents. Remember Ben Johnson was heavy favorite to come here a week before Quinn.

I was thinking the same thing and all the 100% posts about Ben J.  Media, and most everybody here were sold till it did not happen. No need to jump ship, just hope they like your selection.  That's how the Commanders roll now. Several things that have been put out there by the new front office is, everybody has to agree on the pick no one person is going to override, the picks have to make the team better, no matter were they are ranked. And there is no time frame to redo the team by the owner. Right now they have lived up to that. They did not take the 100% coach, F.Agents were brought in from knowledge of all the coaches past and input. I believe this and the outside media, fans whoever have no dog in this fight. It will be their choice as a team. 

The Ben Johnson situation isn't really comparable. We probably would have hired him if he didn't blow off the live interview. 

If Daniels blows us of and says "yeah I'm not playing in Washington" then yeah it'd be comparable.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Ben Johnson situation isn't really comparable. We probably would have hired him if he didn't blow off the live interview. 

You really think so?  I think they had Quinn over Johnson.  Maybe they were just suggesting that after the fact but it really seemed to me that Quinn was the guy they wanted all a long.  His experience, leadership, relationships with players and other coaches etc. etc. 

Again, I realize it could be a situation where after the pick, the guy they got is touted as the person they coveted all along.

Edited by Idaho fan

38 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

You should listen to Cooley, just to challenge your own take. He has no agenda, he didn’t watch college football, and when he wants to he dives deep into the film.His player breakdowns were fantastic.

He really likes Maye, for all of the reasons you describe. He concedes he could be the best of the group a few years from now (he was very high on Josh Allen, he’s a tools guy) But I think he is also more realistic about the serious risks/negatives in his film (both feet and above the neck) And he also references watching 2022 film.

Maye has superior arm strength and arm talent, according to Cooley. But he would take Daniels over Caleb and Maye. He wants Maye to improve but he’s too much of a risk/project for him.

You don’t have to agree with any of this. But when Daniels is the pick it might be helpful for you to hear it.

I hear you.  But I don't need my leg pissed on about Daniels.  He can work out, I understand his strengths, and I wouldn't second guess picking him if we were at #3 and Maye was gone.   But nothing anyone says is going to make it any better if we pick him and he busts and Maye hits.  Peters just needs to be right if he picks Daniels.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I don't and I explained why a million times.  As I've said no doubt the coaches are PART of the decision.  And if you want to hate on the decision, you will get your material to do it if its in the context of coaches.    What draft story can you think of (aside from Haskins ironically) where the coaches don't celebrate a first round draft pick.    The GM wanted this dude but the coaches hated, etc.  It's almost always about everyone bring on the same page. 

And like anything if Peters is torn between two QBs, no doubt coaches could tip the balance and they should in that context.  But yeah no way i believe that Peters thinks another QB was the distinctly better QB but yet took the other.  And like anything if some story comes out later from a credible sources like Keim that it indeed happened that way, I'll believe it.  But I'd need to hear that.  I am just assuming it because its weird and out of place from the structure of this FO and what Harris said he wants which is a FO centric structure

But no I think ZERO shot if they in that building have Maye as the third ranked QB that Peters has him as #1. If they are torn if Keim's right, its not between Maye and Daniels.  But again maybe a new narrative creeps up today, will see. 

I thought I liked Maye more than the next person. But you are taking it to epic levels :ols: -- this isn't John Elway round 2.  I like him a lot but he's not flawless. 

You seem to believe so strongly in Maye that its inconceivable to you than any smart scout wouldn't share that same love and likewise distaste for Daniels. 

Look I've watched and listened to enough to know that you aren't part of the majority with your take as to that strong of a postion.  You want Peters to be part of this vocal minority group who lionize Maye as the be all and end all and Daniels yawn.  Look your take on it of course is cool.  But I don't get the outrage and disdain if he doesn't share your take or just don't believe its even possible to not share your view.  I've had some hard takes over the years but its rare for me to be that level certain about a player let alone QB.

And having said all that, for all we know he does share the Maye should be the guy take.  Why not wait and see.  It's not over.  The pick isn't in. 😎

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

It won't be it for me, it will just be a further diminishment of my attention. This team had about 80-90% of my sporting attention 1979-1993, and probably 70-75% of it 1994-2012, but the past decade its dropped to 10-20%, and botching this will drop it further. I just have other teams either performing far better and giving me much more joy on a consistent level, or at least building properly. Nothing about this pick makes sense to me at all, the good news is I'm wrong a large percentage of the time on who will be great, the bad news is guys Im convinced will be bad almost always are. Otoh, I don't really feel the same way I did about Zach Wilson or Pickett, where I was nearly 100% sure, the bad news is its kind of close to that. 

My fandom has been hanging by a thread for years.  This is the best shot we've had at genuinely escaping NFL poverty in a generation.  If we blow it, I'm not going to tolerate getting kicked in the nuts by this team any more.  Especially if we blow it in a way that I felt was totally predictable and avoidable.  I'm not going to give up on the NFL, but I'll stop watching the Commanders.

• Like 1