Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, illone said:

I bet the other school was A&M, that oil money though...

I did see Georgia and A&M mentioned as two other schools allegedly involved, don't remember where that was.

I don't buy the Drake Maye has to sit rap that some in the draft media keep pushing -- feels like a roundabout way for them to take a shot at him. '

If this team takes Daniels over Maye, i doubt its driven by win now.  I like both players.  Prefer Maye.  While I agree that Maye's upside might take longer to fully emerge -- its emerged enough that I don't see him even remotely as a project.

The only sidebar issues with Maye versus Daniels is perhaps buzz-fan excitement.  Daniels IMO is clearly the more exciting player.   RG3 of all people talked about that benefit to this team which is trying to reignite fan interest.   But I doubt that would drive this call.

My thing with Maye versus Daniels its about what type of offense you are trying to build?  Daniels legs provides a different dimension.  Maye's arm provides a different dimension.  Yeah Maye can run and Daniels can throw -- but neither IMO match each other's superpower on that front.

If they take Daniels my thought isn't win now.  it's the idea that they are more intrigued with Daniel's superpower over Maye's.

But even though I've posted a lot from Keim and others who think this team might be leaning Daniels.  I really feel its 50-50.  Seems like with some of the Maye people are going through the stages of grief -- first denial, then anger, then resignation. :ols:    While I don't feel any of those emotions myself I still feel that Maye has a legit shot to be the pick -- am not even close to throwing in the towell. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I did see Georgia and A&M mentioned as two other schools allegedly involved, don't remember where that was.

Just a guess on my part. If they are willing to pay $80+ million to make someone leave, certainly they would do similar to bring in what they want player wise.

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We know that Maye didn't.  Alabama was one school as we know.  NIL can be a demon seed unfortunately.  Sad.  

Agreed. The NIL thing is going to end up being a huge issue. Not necessarily because there's a problem with a college player getting paid for advertising, etc. but because teams will do this exact thing and figure out ways to use loopholes to exploit the NIL rules and essentially bribe players to transfer to their schools. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't buy the Drake Maye has to sit rap that some in the draft media keep pushing -- feels like a roundabout way for them to take a shot at him. '

If this team takes Daniels over Maye, i doubt its driven by win now.  I like both players.  Prefer Maye.  While I agree that Maye's upside might take longer to fully emerged -- its emerged enough that I don't see him as a project.

The only sidebar issues with Maye versus Daniels is perhaps buzz-fan excitement.  Daniels IMO is clearly the more exciting player.   RG3 of all people talked about that benefit to this team which is trying to reignite fan interest.   But I doubt that would drive this call.

My thing with Maye versus Daniels its about what type of offense you are trying to build?  Daniels legs provides a different dimension.  Maye's arm provides a different dimension.  Yeah Maye can run and Daniels can throw -- but neither IMO match each other's superpower on that front.

If they take Daniels my thought isn't win now.  it's the idea that they are more intrigued with Daniel's superpower over Maye's.

But even though I've posted a lot from Keim and others who think this team might be leaning Daniels.  I really feel its 50-50.  Seems like with some of the Maye people we are going through the stages of grief -- first denial, then anger, then resignation. :ols:    While I don't feel any of those emotions myself I still feel that Maye has a legit shot to be the pick -- am not even close to throwing in the towell. 

daniels supe power is a college supe-power. Every player gets hurt...every player loses a step and one of our choices is a stick-figure that runs fast. I want a dynasty

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Agreed. The NIL thing is going to end up being a huge issue. Not necessarily because there's a problem with a college player getting paid for advertising, etc. but because teams will do this exact thing and figure out ways to use loopholes to exploit the NIL rules and essentially bribe players to transfer to their schools. 

Yea, it's still the wild west with the NIL. Once enough schools get burned by it, people will complain and they will try to install some guard rails and regulations, probably similar to what the NFL went through with free agency, injured reserve, practice squads, etc.

Until then you will see a wildly unchecked process with lots of money flying around.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think he HAS to sit, nor will he.

I also think given the opportunity, the BEST outcome for any rookie QB is to sit for at least half the year, if not more.

Most of the top QBs sat for a little bit. There are exceptions, of course, but just off the top of my head: Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Tua, Hurts, Favre, Young. Im sure there are others...

It all depends on the situation, though. Those teams already had well paid starters in place when they were drafted.

This team does NOT have that, so I'd expect whoever is drafted at #2 will start right away.

Had they brought in Minschew or kept Brissett, I could buy it, but Mariota? 

Nahhhh man. Draft pick will start day one.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, illone said:

I don't think he HAS to sit, nor will he.

I also think given the opportunity, the BEST outcome for any rookie QB is to sit for at least half the year, if not more.

Most of the top QBs sat for a little bit. There are exceptions, of course, but just off the top of my head: Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Tua, Hurts, Favre, Young. Im sure there are others...

It all depends on the situation, though. Those teams already had well paid starters in place when they were drafted.

This team does NOT have that, so I'd expect whoever is drafted at #2 will start right away.

Had they brought in Minschew or kept Brissett, I could buy it, but Mariota? 

Nahhhh man. Draft pick will start day one.

Kliff has to like mariota so i wouldnt be suprised or hate it if he starts. No need to rush the rookie qb.....Lets take a page from the

Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Tua, Hurts, Favre, Youngs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dunfer said:

Kliff has to like mariota so i wouldnt be suprised or hate it if he starts. No need to rush the rookie qb...

I wouldnt hate it either, just seems unlikely.

If the #2 pick cant beat out Mariota... eeeek. 😬

10 minutes ago, illone said:

I wouldnt hate it either, just seems unlikely.

If the #2 pick cant beat out Mariota... eeeek. 😬

a rookie beating out a vet in camp vs throwing him out to the grinder in a game isnt the same. Especially behind a suspect oline. The more time our golden child gets to be coached before throwing him out there, the better. Alot of those HoF guys listed above that sat, wouldnt be listed if they started day one

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1

Five mil for Maye to transfer doesn't seem crazy at all.

I know for a fact Riley Leonard was offered seven figures to transfer from Duke after his sophomore year. Not sure what Notre Dame is paying him one year later, but I bet it's more.

Crazy how all over the map the scouts and blogger boys are when it comes to the top QBS.

It does sound like a lot of folks are scared by some of what they see on film with Drake Maye. My favorite was "if he's such a good thrower, why doesn't he throw good" line from JT O'Sullivan. But his upside really is enticing and I think he fits KK's offense better than most analysts are saying -- because he played in a version of it and thrived, correct? 

But I can just easily make a case for Daniels as well.

And then you hear people talk about JJ and it's hard not to get excited about him. 

It's such a crapshoot. And half the people who are standing on a table for their guy were in love with busts in the past. 

And none of us know how they guys come off in person and in the QB room. 

All I really know for sure is thank God we are in this position with a new owner and some real smart people making the decision for a change. 

• Like 5

I fully admit I'll be disappointed if we draft Daniels over Maye.  I'd learn to accept it, but it would be such a Washington move to pass on Maye and watch him become a top 5 QB with the Patriots, whose fans only had to suffer through *checks Google*... 4 years of bad QB play after having the GOAT on their team for two decades. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I fully admit I'll be disappointed if we draft Daniels over Maye.  I'd learn to accept it, but it would be such a Washington move to pass on Maye and watch him become a top 5 QB with the Patriots, whose fans only had to suffer through *checks Google*... 4 years of bad QB play after having the GOAT on their team for two decades. 

Yeah I'm bracing myself for the possibility that we'll go with Daniels, and I'm working on being convinced that it could work out. And obviously if he's our QB I'll support him. But I just feel like it would be a baffling pick and, I agree, very much a classic "Washington" move. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

There were 2 big problems with how players in college got treated, which was 1) they couldn't transfer without being forced off the field for excessive lengths of time, and 2) they couldn't be paid for use of the likeness.

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, schools have figured out how, in solving these two problems, to create a brand new one of basically just buying players.

Gonna need salary caps in college soon :P

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Standig and Schefter, apologies if previously posted:

I haven’t listened to this, and I’m not going to.  It’s lying seasons and every reporter is pushing somebody’s agenda.  

Im convinced there are no signs.  Because the only sign that would be worthy of paying attention to is if Peters started flying an LSU or UNC flag outside his house.

Peters, Harris, Quinn and Newmark are probably the only ones who know and they aren’t saying anything.

So all the signs are just reporters pushing other team or agent agendas.

EDIT TO SAY: We might pick Daniels and the “signs” from this week would all still be nonesense. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

On 4/8/2024 at 5:53 PM, Llevron said:

Right. At some point it’s easier to just assume they all will fail lol

Haha sort of?  I think for me it is just that with everything I have seen from this franchise (and others) as far as trying to find a franchise QB it makes me not even want to consider the idea that we have one here until they hit their third season because I have seen plenty of short-term success in the past that hasn't ended up being anything over the long term.  I think the modern NFL more than any other era is better suited for young QB's to come in and have success early, not necessarily by shouldering the offense themselves, but the rules, the way the game is played, the types of offense, and GM's building rosters around them early in their careers.  I think we are going to see a lot of young QBs have a certain level of success early for  a lot of reasons and they will be crowned by the media and their fanbases, but then their development will stagnate and most will fall back to the pack or worse over course of the following few seasons.  I just hope we pick the right QB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunfer said:

a rookie beating out a vet in camp vs throwing him out to the grinder in a game isnt the same. Especially behind a suspect oline. The more time our golden child gets to be coached before throwing him out there, the better. Alot of those HoF guys listed above that sat, wouldnt be listed if they started day one

Let's put a pin in this argument until August. Want to see how the kid does in pre-season first before I take a firm position on this. 

In theory I actually agree with you, but remember there are exception and situations to consider.

Also, I think some prospects are further along in their development than others.  For example, Maye or Daniels might need more development than say Penix or McCarthy.

Also, the Oline isn't as suspect as it was last year. Seems like Wylie is the weak link at this point, and I'm going to put some faith that the scheme and coaching will be markedly improved from last year. Assuming the starting five are: Lucas, Allegretti, Biadasz, Cosmi, Wylie. Seems like a decent upgrade over last year, no?

*The oline discussion is incomplete also because the LT could end up being selected in two weeks* 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2022/12/21/23520298/unc-football-north-carolina-tar-heels-drake-maye-transfer-offers-nil-mack-brown

When Drake Maye announced that he was returning to Carolina, fans rejoiced knowing that Mack Brown wouldn’t have to go into next season with a new quarterback. There was always a suspicion that schools would try to talk him into transferring, but nobody really knew the extent to which teams would go in order to try and pull him away from Brown. Thanks to Brown himself, however, we now know that schools went to wild extremes to try and win over Maye, though the schools in question are still a mystery.

Mack Brown told the media during a press conference that a couple of schools recruited Maye heavily, and while he wouldn’t say who, he made it a point to say that “You know who they are.” He was suggesting that the two teams in question were teams that were going after all of the elite prospects, which likely points to Alabama and Clemson if I had to personally guess. It makes even more sense that it would be one of those two schools after Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi went into specifics about just how much NIL money Maye was offered.

Says volumes about his character and integrity that he stayed true to his word to Mack Brown, his teammates, and the University of North Carolina.

Does anyone know if Maye's family is independently wealthy?

Because  at 20 years old I honestly don't know that I would have possessed the moral fiber to turn down that much money, when I was only a single unlucky tackle away from being, "that guy that used to play football".

EDIT:

Who do I think I’m fooling?

If somebody offered me $500 grand tonight (let alone $5 million) I’d have my belongings packed and loaded and be on the first mule out of town before sunrise tomorrow.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Will they cross paths on Tuesday. Will it be a fight to the death and we pick the one who lives?

Welllll.... sort of:

Dance Fight GIF - DespicableMe3 DespicableMe3GIFs Gru - Discover & Share  GIFs | Hunger games, Girls be like, Jokes

Drake's got the strength and skill, but Jayden is just so ... wiggly.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Haha 2