Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

55 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep Maye is a consensus QB2 highly regarded prospect and has been for multiple years. If you pass on him and he succeeds, your guy has to be at least as good or youre IMMEDIATELY on the hot seat.

On the flip side if he takes Maye and he doesn't pan out, I wouldn't kill him. Sometimes everyone misses on a guy and it just is what it is.

I'll never crush a guy for taking a swing at a home run and missing, but if you don't swing at a meatball down the middle and settle for a single and the guy you pass on ends up being a grand slam, bye felicia.

I don't think Reid ever picked the wrong QB. In Philly he had McNabb and his backups all played at a high level(remember he flipped Kevin Colb for a 2nd rounder). Then he revived Vick's career. He was even the one that drafted Foles. He goes to KC and trades for Alex Smith to stabilize the team before eventually grabbing Mahomes. His track record when it comes to QBs is essentially 100%.

Is Maye really the consensus #2 qb in this draft? From what I’ve gathered it’s Caleb as #1 and then #2 is pretty much up in the air with 3 potentially selections, Maye, Daniels and McCarthy. I think it would be a little short sighted to question Peters talent evaluation if whoever we select at qb doesn’t pan out, especially if he is able to build a strong roster around the qb. There is no Andrew Luck this year, all these guys have issues that can cause them to fail.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Former players are a pretty big deal and why they get these sports media roles. Kurt Warner, Orlovsky, Merrill Hoge..all rank Jayden above Maye and that’s just off the top of my head. 

They aren't really a big deal, because they get just as much wrong as pretty much any fan on a message board. Are they more knowledgeable in general than most fans? Sure. Do they have more experience? Of course. Are they better at breaking down film? Usually.

But it doesn't matter, because at the end of the day they whiff on their picks just as much as anyone else.

Add: You forgot J.T. O'Sullivan. He has Maye as his 5th or 6th QB. He also ranked Fields above Lawrence and Had Herbert 5 spots below Jake Fromm.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

Maye WAS the consensus for most of last year but I think with all the time between the Superbowl and the draft people had time to reconsider.

And there are some decent reasons to argue he shouldn't be consensus #2.  But I also think we overthink things a little.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Maye WAS the consensus for most of last year but I think with all the time between the Superbowl and the draft people had time to reconsider.

And there are some decent reasons to argue he shouldn't be consensus #2.  But I also think we overthink things a little.

A little?  We have buried this no-brainer under a mountain of BS.  It's still a no-brainer for the exact same reasons that it has been for two years, it just turns out that a bunch of the people crapping out draft takes have no ****ing brain.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

There's also the shiny object effect. Running QBs are shiny objects that generate lots of oohs and ahhs, so they tend to get hype. Also, when they're new to the scene (in this case where Maye has mostly been considered a top 5 lock for 2 years now and Daniels basically came out of nowhere) it just adds that much more novelty and hype.

Not saying Daniels isn't worth a high pick, just that there are other effects at play than just his skill set.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Sure doesn’t seem like Maye is the consensus QB2. Most experts and analysts have JD as number 2 lately. 

Jayden did not suck for 4 years :lol: And you want Maye to be another Andrew Luck? A guy that quits early in his career due to injuries?

Are you still replying to me after your dramatic embarrassment on your last post where I gave you links? A thank you would be nice as well. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

A little?  We have buried this no-brainer under a mountain of BS.  It's still a no-brainer for the exact same reasons that it has been for two years, it just turns out that a bunch of the people crapping out draft takes have no ****ing brain.

No need for insults. There is a lot of tape out there on Maye that is cause for concern. Folks paid to live in a film room are dissecting every little thing about these top QBs and Maye’s stock is trending down. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Lying season, man.

Teams and their media counterparts are flooding misinformation to every outlet to affect the rankings and get clicks.

Maye was the consensus number two in the media until the patriots started paying people to talk up Daniels in hopes that peters would fall for it and let Maye drop to them. That **** ain’t happening though. Nice try New England. He is still the consensus… nay, the unanimous choice among People that know football… even if they aren’t saying it out loud… because New England is paying them.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s not my job to repost articles already cited in the thread for those with poor memories or emotional syndromes where they forget facts and evidence presented because it disagrees with their views.

In this case, I will do you a kindness and give you a few links you could have searched this thread for or googled:

https://arizonasports.com/story/2702818/report-jayden-daniels-mom-aided-asu-in-alleged-recruiting-violations/

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-exclusive-dossier-reveals-extent-of-ncaa-allegations-against-arizona-state-football-055252113.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAf2f9GVmn5lQrBrajRJ6hdNuOANnHovypI6JE26ntIbBJWzVHWnwEhE6n2QIl2-cbik23TnW-vmttwJWz6YiOLiTQ78us16me6cFmbY6FpjHL2mr9qb9A14ftGAET4OezCFHFExkQJhf1CdPsffIvaSPJoI2uYRP-mLYe8UfePk

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/mar/27/commanders-may-need-weigh-mom-factor-draft-day/

Perhaps in the future you will simply accept everything I write or opine regarding a player or coach as fact. Almost as if a great football deity shared knowledge with you. You’re welcome.

Where is the PROOF she was actually involved with anything? Those are all "allegations." Nothing less and nothing more. And you said Jayden was a coach killer? Yeah, ok. Herm Edwards running a loose ship is what got that program in deep trouble. Jayden caused 15-16 other players to transfer that same offseason? 

An allegation is defined as a claim of fact not yet proven to be true. 

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Maye was the consensus number two in the media until the patriots started paying people to talk up Daniels in hopes that peters would fall for it and let Maye drop to them. That **** ain’t happening though. Nice try New England. He is still the consensus… nay, the unanimous choice among People that know football… even if they aren’t saying it out loud… because New England is paying them.

Jayden Daniels' mom is paying New England, Hoge, Warner, Orlovsky, Simms as well to hype her son....allegedly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Jayden Daniels' mom is paying New England, Hoge, Warner, Orlovsky, Simms as well to hype her son....allegedly. 

Interesting. I had not heard that before but that is good to know and not at all surprising. Dude should be off our board entirely.

• Haha 5

With Drake Maye, the dude I want at #2 but I think am on an island compared to some as to not understanding some of the criticism.  I do not understand the over the top criticism from guys like Hodge and Sims.  But as for the draftniks-ex-Qbs who prefer Daniels, i get it.  I don't agree with them but not from the standpoint that they are morons.  :ols:  I just think they are valuing different things.  If its about traits, IMO Maye is the guy.  If they value more about accuracy-consistency- high floor play, etc -- I'd get why some would prefer Daniels or even McCarthy.

It's why I am not sweating this decision.  I personally am a traits over consistency-accuracy guy.  But not everyone else is.  I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to what to value.  Kingsbury-Peters knows what they are about to run and what they value and why.  And none of this is me being pessimistic that they don't take Maye.  I think there is a decent shot it will be him they take.  But if they don't take him, I am not jumping off a cliff. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Where is the PROOF she was actually involved with anything? Those are all "allegations." Nothing less and nothing more. And you said Jayden was a coach killer? Yeah, ok. Herm Edwards running a loose ship is what got that program in deep trouble. Jayden caused 15-16 other players to transfer that same offseason? 

An allegation is defined as a claim of fact not yet proven to be true. 

There are credit card receipts in her name and emails from her account. Dude you are embarrassing yourself now. Take your L and move on. 

• Like 1

Speaking of board takes on players.  Remember Atlanta fan insisting on Greg McEroy will be the next stud NFL QB?  😎  Obviously, that didn't happen.  He is not a bad college analyist though albiet I disagree with some of his QB takes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

There are credit card receipts in her name and emails from her account. Dude you are embarrassing yourself now. Take your L and move on. 

His mother, in conversations with Yahoo Sports, denied paying for the recruits’ travel. She said she received a notice in March that her Google email account had been “compromised” and she canceled her credit card after learning flights had been charged to it.

“It’s unfortunate,” Jackson said. “My credit card company notified me of the charges and they sent me a new card. They charged everything back because they realized it wasn’t me.”

She added she does no recruiting on behalf of the university.

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college-football/report-evidence-backs-up-allegations-of-recruiting-violations-at-arizona-state/

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Drake Maye, the dude I want at #2 but I think am on an island compared to some as to not understanding some of the criticism.  I do not understand the over the top criticism from guys like Hodge and Sims.  But as for the draftniks-ex-Qbs who prefer Daniels, i get it.  I don't agree with them but not from the standpoint that they are morons.  :ols:  I just think they are valuing different things.  If its about traits, IMO Maye is the guy.  If they value more about accuracy-consistency- high floor play, etc -- I'd get why some would prefer Daniels or even McCarthy.

It's why I am not sweating this decision.  I personally am a traits over consistency-accuracy guy.  But not everyone else is.  I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to what to value.  Kingsbury-Peters knows what they are about to run and what they value and why.  And none of this is me being pessimistic that they don't take Maye.  I think there is a decent shot it will be him they take.  But if they don't take him, I am not jumping off a cliff. 

I know you weren't necessarily talking about me specifically, but I just wanted to say that I don't think the ex-QBs or ex-players who prefer Daniels are morons. I just don't think they should get any super extra special weight added to their opinions, because they've all completely whiffed on QBs in the past plenty of times. So I listen to them, I like hearing their breakdowns, but I don't necessarily give their specific predictions for success any more credence than anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

His mother, in conversations with Yahoo Sports, denied paying for the recruits’ travel. She said she received a notice in March that her Google email account had been “compromised” and she canceled her credit card after learning flights had been charged to it.

“It’s unfortunate,” Jackson said. “My credit card company notified me of the charges and they sent me a new card. They charged everything back because they realized it wasn’t me.”

She added she does no recruiting on behalf of the university.

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college-football/report-evidence-backs-up-allegations-of-recruiting-violations-at-arizona-state/

The only thing supposedly that was purchased with her "compromised card" was travel for those specific recruits with the receipts and confirmation sent to her email account which magically was also "compromised". For you to even consider her implausible excuse as even remotely possible is beyond laughable. Wow. 

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I know you weren't necessarily talking about me specifically, but I just wanted to say that I don't think the ex-QBs or ex-players who prefer Daniels are morons. I just don't think they should get any super extra special weight added to their opinions, because they've all completely whiffed on QBs in the past plenty of times. So I listen to them, I like hearing their breakdowns, but I don't necessarily give their specific predictions for success any more credence than anyone else.

I don't either.   I was just saying I don't get the vibe from the leaks I've read from what coaches-personnel guys or PFF or draft media guys saying they've been hearing scuttlebutt that there is some slam dunk consensus at #2 in the NFL.

Whether that's true or not, will see.  

3 hours ago, Destino said:

I’m not expecting CJ Stroud. Hell, I’m not expecting year two of CJ Stroud to match year one. He had an absurd year in terms of limiting turnovers and mistakes. 

I am expecting a QB that looks the part. Sam Howell did for about half a season and then fell apart. How good i expect them to play largely depends on if they’re playing behind a good offensive line, or the wet toilet paper we have currently. 

Houston will have a first place schedule. I doubt they repeat the success they had last year. Wouldn’t surprise me, if this miss the playoffs this year.

RGIII defends Drake Maye's honor on "Get Up" after Merril Hoge's disparaging comments.

RGIII, "Drake Maye reminds me of me and he has everything he needs to be a franchise qb. If he gets a coach fired then that coach can't coach, just like what happened to Mike Shanahan."

• Haha 5