Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I’d guess some sort of AI upscaling was used to edit/sharpen that picture, which could have been captured from a video at who knows how many FPS. And that lead to the weird shadowy thing that makes it look like he has one arm growing out of a different bicep lol. Exaggerating whatever bulge came from the bursitis whenever that pic was taken. Yeah, probably just lazy editing of something an AI did.

I agree. It's obviously just a bad fake or adjustment. The jokes about it work, but attempts at actually analyzing it as if it's real are surprising. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Daniels won the Heisman following his 2023 season at LSU, throwing for 3,812 passes and 40 touchdowns, plus another 10 touchdowns and 1,134 yards rushing. His pro workout day was Wednesday, and the prospect was set to meet afterward with six teams: the Vikings, Patriots, Giants, Broncos Raiders and Commanders.

Based on stories that came out of Arizona State, where Daniels first played before he transferred to LSU, Jackson is very much involved in her son’s business dealings.

At ASU, Jackson made news for her role in an NCAA investigation that would eventually end the circus-like tenure of former NFL safety and ESPN football analyst Herm Edwards.

A February 2022 Athletic story reported that, according to sources, “Jackson was given uncommon access to the program, particularly early in. Some staffers in the past jokingly referred to Jackson as a coach. The dynamic became an issue inside and outside the locker room. One former athletic department staff member said Jackson’s presence around the football facility was unlike anything he had seen in his career.”

According to a June 2021 report from Yahoo Sports about Arizona State recruiting violations during the COVID-19 period of prohibited in-person recruiting visits, screenshots of emails showed that Jackson allegedly helped book more than $1,100 in flights for recruits and the adults accompanying them on a recruiting trip to Florida, according to the documents sent to the NCAA enforcement department and Arizona State’s compliance office. 

Jackson denied the allegations to Yahoo Sports. She reportedly said the Google email address associated with the account that was purchasing the plane tickets had been compromised. She also said she canceled the charges after it was discovered she had been charged for the airfare.

Daniels was not implicated in any wrongdoing.

In the wake of the NCAA probe, offensive coordinator Zak Hill and defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce resigned, while wide receivers coach Prentice Gill and defensive backs coach Chris Hawkins were fired. Edwards was fired in September 2022. Daniels entered the transfer portal in February 2022.

After Daniels transferred to LSU, Jackson, according to azcentral.com, took some shots at ASU when she posted on social media, “We wish them well … we just had to let it go. They feel some type of way and I understand. I’m a businesswoman and I understand. However, LSU probably gained a lot of Arizona State fans because they just waited for him to fail and it’s OK.

“A quarterback has to have chemistry with their team,” she posted. “You see the best quarterbacks, Tom Brady is not good without chemistry with his receivers. He’s going to put the ball there, but if they are running the wrong routes and if they are doing stuff, what is he supposed to do? You know? And the line, he don’t want to run. He’s been behind a Pac-12 line that just collapsed, you know, they are good kids. Great kids and we love them all, but he’s not going to sit there and take 60 sacks, guys.”

There were no such stories that came out of LSU — mom did not have the same level of access there — but sources familiar with the program said Jackson was still deeply involved in her son’s business decisions and is considered an influential voice.

Jackson did not respond to requests for comments in texts and through her social media account. She is divorced from Daniels‘ father Jay, who has also been a football adviser.

Washington football fans might be wary of influential parents, after the cautionary tale of Robert Griffin III and the influence his father had behind the scenes with then-owner Dan Snyder. 

That kind of drama is not expected under new owner Josh Harris and company. But who knows? I doubt Mike Shanahan thought he would ever be involved in such drama.

There also have been some concerns raised about the anticipated top pick in the draft, USC quarterback Caleb Williams, and the role of his father, Carl, who, according to various reports, plays a significant role in his son’s career decisions.

We may also be entering a new age of young athletes whose parents are very much part of the equation, even in their professional careers. Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson’s mother Felicia Jones manages his business career.

This may be where we are in the NFL in 2024: Keeping mom and pop happy.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/mar/27/commanders-may-need-weigh-mom-factor-draft-day/

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, dads who are insane in trying to make their sons succeed in pro sports are old an tired and a cliche.

Moms, however, that's new and refreshing.  I dig it.

Honestly, matches up even more to the Lisan Al Gaib gif, Daniels' mom might be Bene Gesserit.  Has Daniels ever been known to say things like "fear is the mind killer?"

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I hope Drake Maye runs a  4.55-4.6 40 and everyone can talk about how “sneaky athletic” he is.

I really hope he runs, jumps, etc. Just be a competitor.

Just show case your arm. Put some velocity on the ball and do not loft it. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

These articles are fueling the strength of that #2 pick. All falls into Peters pre-draft mind games.

Next I wish Harrison, Nabers and Bowers would all register 4.2 40's

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Daniels won the Heisman following his 2023 season at LSU, throwing for 3,812 passes and 40 touchdowns, plus another 10 touchdowns and 1,134 yards rushing. His pro workout day was Wednesday, and the prospect was set to meet afterward with six teams: the Vikings, Patriots, Giants, Broncos Raiders and Commanders.

Based on stories that came out of Arizona State, where Daniels first played before he transferred to LSU, Jackson is very much involved in her son’s business dealings.

At ASU, Jackson made news for her role in an NCAA investigation that would eventually end the circus-like tenure of former NFL safety and ESPN football analyst Herm Edwards.

A February 2022 Athletic story reported that, according to sources, “Jackson was given uncommon access to the program, particularly early in. Some staffers in the past jokingly referred to Jackson as a coach. The dynamic became an issue inside and outside the locker room. One former athletic department staff member said Jackson’s presence around the football facility was unlike anything he had seen in his career.”

According to a June 2021 report from Yahoo Sports about Arizona State recruiting violations during the COVID-19 period of prohibited in-person recruiting visits, screenshots of emails showed that Jackson allegedly helped book more than $1,100 in flights for recruits and the adults accompanying them on a recruiting trip to Florida, according to the documents sent to the NCAA enforcement department and Arizona State’s compliance office. 

Jackson denied the allegations to Yahoo Sports. She reportedly said the Google email address associated with the account that was purchasing the plane tickets had been compromised. She also said she canceled the charges after it was discovered she had been charged for the airfare.

Daniels was not implicated in any wrongdoing.

In the wake of the NCAA probe, offensive coordinator Zak Hill and defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce resigned, while wide receivers coach Prentice Gill and defensive backs coach Chris Hawkins were fired. Edwards was fired in September 2022. Daniels entered the transfer portal in February 2022.

After Daniels transferred to LSU, Jackson, according to azcentral.com, took some shots at ASU when she posted on social media, “We wish them well … we just had to let it go. They feel some type of way and I understand. I’m a businesswoman and I understand. However, LSU probably gained a lot of Arizona State fans because they just waited for him to fail and it’s OK.

“A quarterback has to have chemistry with their team,” she posted. “You see the best quarterbacks, Tom Brady is not good without chemistry with his receivers. He’s going to put the ball there, but if they are running the wrong routes and if they are doing stuff, what is he supposed to do? You know? And the line, he don’t want to run. He’s been behind a Pac-12 line that just collapsed, you know, they are good kids. Great kids and we love them all, but he’s not going to sit there and take 60 sacks, guys.”

There were no such stories that came out of LSU — mom did not have the same level of access there — but sources familiar with the program said Jackson was still deeply involved in her son’s business decisions and is considered an influential voice.

Jackson did not respond to requests for comments in texts and through her social media account. She is divorced from Daniels‘ father Jay, who has also been a football adviser.

Washington football fans might be wary of influential parents, after the cautionary tale of Robert Griffin III and the influence his father had behind the scenes with then-owner Dan Snyder. 

That kind of drama is not expected under new owner Josh Harris and company. But who knows? I doubt Mike Shanahan thought he would ever be involved in such drama.

There also have been some concerns raised about the anticipated top pick in the draft, USC quarterback Caleb Williams, and the role of his father, Carl, who, according to various reports, plays a significant role in his son’s career decisions.

We may also be entering a new age of young athletes whose parents are very much part of the equation, even in their professional careers. Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson’s mother Felicia Jones manages his business career.

This may be where we are in the NFL in 2024: Keeping mom and pop happy.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/mar/27/commanders-may-need-weigh-mom-factor-draft-day/

giphy.gif?cid=5a38a5a2eto17mvgwo3pvpb5nw1i82g2lkq4wxy3nswbvcf1&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Another indicator is where the QB is in his drop.  When Jayden has finished his drop and is standing still waiting to throw, he's probably late.

This is his nature as a passer.  He will hang on that first read too long, hang on that crossing route runner too long, or when he breaks pocket and has to create something downfield because he can't scramble past a flat defender, he just waits too long.  He's not an urgent player.  It's one of the main things that gets him into trouble, and it's going to be worse for him against NFL zones.  These dudes are studs and he's giving them time to get a running start on their break, and he's also running out of space before the sidelines.  If you're going to be consistently late on throws, then you need a bigger arm than Jayden has.  If I'm a defensive coordinator, I know I can throw off his timing by jamming his first option and making sure I have somebody to guard the flat opposite the side I'm bringing pressure from, and then my zone defenders are going to make plays.

He needs a lot of time in the pocket to make decisions.  He's going to struggle here as a rookie if we draft him.

I think this describes Maye more than Daniels

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Just show case your arm. Put some velocity on the ball and do not loft it. 

No rainbow balls today please. I thought Daniels was going to clip the ceiling a couple times…

9 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

“One source told me that while J.J. McCarthy of Michigan had a better pro day workout, Daniels is a much better arm talent by a wide margin. Few on hand believe the Washington Commanders will take McCarthy over Daniels with the second selection.”

I thought J.J. release was quicker and came out with more velocity even on the deep throws.  Watched J.D.'s work out on ESPN last night at 8 after watching the video here. Was expecting more from the comments here. 

• Like 1

I think it was Tice talking with Hoffman who mentioned it shortly post combine, that when they talked to people who watched the All-22 videos on Maye and Daniels was that, re: throwing at the top of the drop, once you got the All-22 video it showed Daniels often holding the ball even with people "open" (using quotes because they were "NFL open" not necessarily "college open") while Maye legit had no one open at all.

This was the same video where they mentioned something like 80/20 split in favor of Maye at 2.

Then within 24 hours of this a bunch of rumors about Jayden being QB2 came out, and then shortly thereafter we started the JJ theater, so who knows man.

But watching some of Maye's tape, I can tell you that in a HUGE percentage of plays, when he gets to the top of his drop, there is NOTHING.  Their offensive coordinator was calling routes that needed like 25 yards to develop, and that's just incompatible with 3 step drops.

8 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

the stench of RG3 is not nearly as putrid as the stench of Wentz and Howell 

RG3 didn’t know how to throw and didn’t know how to protect himself but he was still better than a lot of prospects that have come by since his time.

if we’re able to get an RG3 who can actually read defenses and stay on his feet, then it’s a different ball game.

Also RG3 cost the team multiple first rounders.  That was part of why the deal for him sucked.  

Wentz 28mil yes, RG3 cost 3no.1's yes. Both stink not Howell 5th rd. made it through the season and got good return nothing from the other 2.

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This looks too easy for Maye, show the big arm reported by many on here and seal the deal.  

I haven't been here in days because I got bored and checked back in to the exact same circular conversations. Good God. I haven't watched anyone's pro days, they are meaningless. Nobody is making a decision about who to draft on a pro day. It might help confirm something for them at most "is he really over 200 pounds", "does the ball have velocity in person" but no GM is making decisions about JJ McCarthy, Daniels, Maye or anyone else based on a pro day.

Nobody is saying "well I didn't see him doing any of this on his film but my he threw a good ball in his pro day so we're going to draft him over the others" or "oh his footwork is bad in all the game tape but it was good vs air on his pro day so I am going to take him instead" nor are they saying "well his ball placement and accuracy is great on film but not on his pro day so we're going to drop him in our rankings."

I get there is a month until the draft and people need things to talk about but lets be serious. Nobody is putting that much weight into a 20 minute throwing session compared to 12 or however many actual games besides bored fans. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I thought J.J. release was quicker and came out with more velocity even on the deep throws.  Watched J.D.'s work out on ESPN last night at 8 after watching the video here. Was expecting more from the comments here. 

I don't know about more velocity than Jayden.  I agree that he was quicker, but JJs velocity looked average to me, and he had to load up big time to drive the ball.

I thought JJs throwing session was better as a whole.  He's got good pocket mobility and really rapid feet and he was very rhythmic.  Felt like he was sharper and better prepared than Jayden was.  It seemed like Jayden was looking at his script for the first time.  I agree with that consensus that JJs session was better and cleaner but that he is much less physically impressive.

I can't buy JJ as an early first round pick.  To me he feels like Kirk Cousins without all of the vertical playmaking.  He's good but has no dominant traits or film aside from his ability to run.

19 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't know about more velocity than Jayden.  I agree that he was quicker, but JJs velocity looked average to me, and he had to load up big time to drive the ball.

I thought JJs throwing session was better as a whole.  He's got good pocket mobility and really rapid feet and he was very rhythmic.  Felt like he was sharper and better prepared than Jayden was.  It seemed like Jayden was looking at his script for the first time.  I agree with that consensus that JJs session was better and cleaner but that he is much less physically impressive.

I can't buy JJ as an early first round pick.  To me he feels like Kirk Cousins without all of the vertical playmaking.  He's good but has no dominant traits or film aside from his ability to run.

I am hoping Maye shows more today. I still have age and body style as concerns and J.D. did nothing to change that for me yesterday. J.J. is the youngest with at least equal passing ability he has moved closer to no.2 but I would take him with a small trade down if possible. Maye needs to reclaim his spot today at no.2 today its there for the taking.. 

Happy Drake Maye pro day.....day. Watch the difference in velocity and the way Maye drives the ball compared to Daniels yesterday. Daniels arm actually impressed me yesterday. As I said it is better than I thought it was. But it isnt close to what we will see this afternoon. Tomorrow is my birthday. So I am leaving work at 2 today and starting my consumption of frosty beverages for the next 4 days. I should be in rare form for this pro day. :)

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Yes, yes it's king drake day. The best QB prospect to ever exist. I can't wait to see the unbelievable motion he'll display when he takes a swig of water between reps! 🤯

download.jpg

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I feel like Daniels's accuracy on a couple throws wasn't great yesterday. I saw receivers having to make catches in less than natural positions. Ball placement wasn't what I would wanna see from a scripted pro day.

Ultimately I don't put much stock into it. Game tape matters more. But just an observation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Yes, yes it's king drake day. The best QB prospect to ever exist. I can't wait to see the unbelievable motion he'll display when he takes a swig of water between reps! 🤯

Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 7

He'd be too classy to do it but it'd be hilarious if Drake went to take a big drink of water and was like "look guys I'm Jayden Daniels!"

Then we'd have to discuss the character issue implications of this.

• Haha 1