Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Not a fan of the Mariota signing, and I also disagree with any represenation that "Quarterback" satisfactorily explained Mariota leaving the Falcons. He *attempted* to explain his tantrum, and the coach immediately refuted that explanation. Timeline:

1. Coach Art Smith meets with Mariota to inform him of "performance-based benching" (per Smith).

2. THE NEXT DAY: Mariota's agent informs Falcons he's having surgery on meniscus and will be out indefinitely. 

*Note* - Mariota claimed on "Quarterback" that he and Smith discussed the 'injury' in the benching meeting. Also on "Quarterback" - 

In a separate segment, head coach Arthur Smith revealed that he and Mariota never talked about the quarterback getting any type of knee procedure done when they discussed Mariota's benching.

"When he and I had that conversation, that's not what we talked about," Smith said. "Those are private conversations, but it was more about where we were as a team, and as a player, and what the future might hold."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marcus-mariota-sets-the-record-straight-on-leaving-the-falcons-late-in-the-2022-season-after-benching/

*Note 2* - Mariota started all 13 games prior to the benching meeting and never appeared on the injury report (i.e.,"probable" or "questionable" etc.) for the meniscus injury.

So the last time Mariota had the 'opportunity' to mentor a young starting QB, he quit the team and left the rookie hanging out to dry. Philly only signed him last year as a mercenary backup to established starter Hurts - and IMHO, that's really the only role he's suited for, especially given his now-proven temperament. 

First signing I've questioned. Potential QB room cancer. Yuck.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Coaches literally talk about playbooks as learning new languages. No one learns a new language talking to themselves. Its not a hard concept and it is a proven way to learn. Im not sure why its causing so much consternation lol 

This is why you sign America's Baby Sitter - Marcus Mariota. He's going to work with the rookie and find him a church with a great Young Adult program and hook him up with an incredible vegan chef.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dah-Dee said:

Yep this is my reasoning as well. Its not about Mariota's ability or anything like that. He's a known quitter. I just have no tolerance for that. You can suck but as long as you're out there busting your butt every day being a good teammate, I can respect that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Yes you can, the Packers spun all sorts of value out of drafting and developing and then trading guys (Hasselbeck, Flynn, can't remember what they got, if anything, for Favre when Rodgers took over), over and over and over again for nearly a decade. It's true you can't give a guy all the reps you want for them to have a better chance of hitting, but when it comes to QB, it makes sense to invest in the position to develop value, both due to injury rate, for trade, and if you hit on a guy whose better than your in house guy. 

Favre and Rodgers were starters for a combined 56 years. You can do all sorts of weird things in the back end of your Quarterback Room when the starter is basically an NFL sea turtle.

Everyone has spent three months building out an Extended Commanders Universe where Howell is the backup, and now everyone is scrambling to retcon things with Mariota.

People get married to players for the damndest reasons and then get married to storylines about those players.

Remember that weird British guy who really loved Bill Callahan? He used to do **** like this.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if there is an offer on the table for fields. That situation is so weird. No way they will want him and Caleb in the same qb room, especially with half the team and fans still having major support for Fields. Maybe they’ve fooled everyone and are not even taking offers for Fields and plan to trade the pick instead. Lol

6 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I wonder if there is an offer on the table for fields. That situation is so weird. No way they will want him and Caleb in the same qb room, especially with half the team and fans still having major support for Fields. Maybe they’ve fooled everyone and are not even taking offers for Fields and plan to trade the pick instead. Lol

There is no real market for Fields because he sucks. Its that simple.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Why is this some unfounded notion that Fields cannot be on the same team as Williams?  

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Why is this some unfounded notion that Fields cannot be on the same team as Williams?  

Fields would be an obstacle for Williams. Both on the team and with fans.

If you draft #1, you remove said obstacles.

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Fields would be an obstacle for Williams.

If by standing in a doorway and not allowing him to pass through, yes he could be an obstacle for Williams.  

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no real market for Fields because he sucks. Its that simple.

Yeah this probably isn't that complicated. Fields isn't a good NFL QB. Pretty straightforward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

To many on the team has already publicly backed Feilds, no sane coach would want the headache. 

im still holding out hope that Chicago was planning on keeping Fields all along, I doubt this is true but it is still theoretically possible.

I want Caleb here even if it costs 2 #1s to go get him. I still believe there is a chance, and until Chicago makes their pick, I won’t be sold that it’s impossible.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

If by standing in a doorway and not allowing him to pass through, yes he could be an obstacle for Williams.  

You can't risk him splitting the locker room (he has support) and you can't risk fans calling for him in the event Caleb struggles.

The trade up to #1 is still clear favourite for me. 

Plenty of FA activity. Vet QB incoming

Trade Howell for a couple of mid rounders

Trade up to #1 for Caleb

Peters gets to work in the draft still holding a bunch of day 2/3 picks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

To many on the team has already publicly backed Feilds, no sane coach would want the headache. 

im still holding out hope that Chicago was planning on keeping Fields all along, I doubt this is true but it is still theoretically possible.

I want Caleb here even if it costs 2 #1s to go get him. I still believe there is a chance, and until Chicago makes their pick, I won’t be sold that it’s impossible.

Have we learned nothing from the RG3 experience?

Edited by allannis

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Teams draft late round QBs to be a third string QB because they don't want to spend any actual money on a third string QB and once every three or four years, one of those guys flashes in a pre-season game and the team is all "yea....we meant to do that."

Seems like Sam Howell would fill the role of that cheap 3rd string QB, only the season would not be finished if he was forced into action like the team who drafted a rookie out of Kent State would be.  

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Back in 2012 when it became obvious we had given away the farm to draft RG3, I started a thread that said we needed to draft 2 QBs.  I was trashed and mocked endlessly by posters on this board, most of them using this same reasoning.... and I got to keep bumping the thread back on to the front page for the next several years.

The RGIII and Kirk sagas here were an absolute debacle.  How can anyone look at the way that played out and think "yeah, we need to do it like that again"?

• Like 1

I'm not concerned about Mariota's time with the Falcons. He made it through his time with the Raiders without being a cancer. He made it through his time with the Eagles without being a cancer. Iirc, he handled benching by the Titans without being a cancer. If it was last year, I'd be concerned. But it's been over a year, he's been invisible, and he should continue to be so. At the very least, there will be no illusions that Mariota is expected to even start this season.

Edited by NickyJ

2 hours ago, illone said:

When comparing college players (as draft prospects) you have to forget the NFL tape and try to compare apples to apples. Its hard to do, I get it, but tons of mock drafts had Fields in the top 3, same as Daniels. 

If your just comparing prospect to prospect its a blowout.

While they both would be high picks, one guy is clearly better.

As a college prospect, Fields looses his proven rushing production, and fails to stack up as a passer despite good numbers.

You'd be judging a duel where their best seasons saw:

3273 yds 41 TDs 3 INTs 484 Rush Yds 67% Comp and 9.2 Y/A

vs

3812 yds 40 TDs 4 INTs 1134 Rush Yds 72% Comp and 11.2 Y/A

And one guy has markedly better mechanics, set the record for QB efficiency rating and put up statlines never before seen in the FBS.

Coming outta college Fields has a better body build and better arm strength. That's about it. Daniels would be the better passer, the more polished product and a vastly superior rusher.

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

3273 yds 41 TDs 3 INTs 484 Rush Yds 67% Comp and 9.2 Y/A

vs

3812 yds 40 TDs 4 INTs 1134 Rush Yds 72% Comp and 11.2 Y/A

Oh God...... no one gives a **** about these dumb college stats.

Why would you even post these?

Why don't you put up Mahomes numbers at Texas Tech to further confuse whatever point you think you are making?

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Why would you even post these?

The conversation has turned to comparing Daniels to Fields not as an NFL QB but as he was coming out. Additional information was necessary, otherwise you'd just have to take my word for it when I say JD was better.

2 hours ago, illone said:

When comparing college players (as draft prospects) you have to forget the NFL tape and try to compare apples to apples. Its hard to do, I get it, but tons of mock drafts had Fields in the top 3, same as Daniels. 

😃😃😃😃

Gary Kubiak

Gary Kubiak, 1983-1991

He made his entire NFL career out of being
John Elway's backup. Kubiak came into the NFL the same year as John Elway, 1983. He was an 8th-round pick out of Texas A&M who appeared in 119 career NFL games but didn't even throw 300 total passes.

Kinda worked once lol  (Seriously though, this is not even the same situation we are advocating) 

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

Not a fan of the Mariota signing, and I also disagree with any represenation that "Quarterback" satisfactorily explained Mariota leaving the Falcons. He *attempted* to explain his tantrum, and the coach immediately refuted that explanation. Timeline:

1. Coach Art Smith meets with Mariota to inform him of "performance-based benching" (per Smith).

2. THE NEXT DAY: Mariota's agent informs Falcons he's having surgery on meniscus and will be out indefinitely. 

*Note* - Mariota claimed on "Quarterback" that he and Smith discussed the 'injury' in the benching meeting. Also on "Quarterback" - 

In a separate segment, head coach Arthur Smith revealed that he and Mariota never talked about the quarterback getting any type of knee procedure done when they discussed Mariota's benching.

"When he and I had that conversation, that's not what we talked about," Smith said. "Those are private conversations, but it was more about where we were as a team, and as a player, and what the future might hold."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marcus-mariota-sets-the-record-straight-on-leaving-the-falcons-late-in-the-2022-season-after-benching/

*Note 2* - Mariota started all 13 games prior to the benching meeting and never appeared on the injury report (i.e.,"probable" or "questionable" etc.) for the meniscus injury.

So the last time Mariota had the 'opportunity' to mentor a young starting QB, he quit the team and left the rookie hanging out to dry. Philly only signed him last year as a mercenary backup to established starter Hurts - and IMHO, that's really the only role he's suited for, especially given his now-proven temperament. 

Agreed, not really liking this signing at all, for that I would have just resigned Brissett for 8m for 1 yr as the Pats did and who I actually think is far better then Marcus Mariota…. 

• Like 1