Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

55 minutes ago, pico926 said:

All vertical routes (9 and 8 routes), no tight window throws, not much processing going on. What makes these really good, NFL caliber throws. The circus throw to the receiver while being tackled is nice but that's about all that jumped out to me. Everything else looked pretty standard.

Standard? We have different standards for sure. Daniels isnt physically capable of making half of those throws at that velocity. 

11 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I agree daniels throws with anticipation and in tight windows just fine, I don't understand the ones who say they know he struggles with that. But Logan is not one I'd use to defend my point, especially with how wrong he was with howell

I think most just think he is RG3 fragile, and do not want to take the chance. I cannot see anything to make me believe he is another Lamar also. Lamar compares to Hurts, Watson, A.Richardson they are physical. Daniels to me is Fields only a better passer but more fragile.    

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Standard? We have different standards for sure. Daniels isnt physically capable of making half of those throws at that velocity. 

So you are able to measure the velocity of those throws in the cut ups and are 100% sure that his velocity is higher than Daniels making similar throws (and he has made the same throws)? How are you able to do such a thing?

2 minutes ago, pico926 said:

So you are able to measure the velocity of those throws in the cut ups and are 100% sure that his velocity is higher than Daniels making similar throws (and he has made the same throws)? How are you able to do such a thing?

Yes

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes

Ok second question. It seems like Daniels is completing similar passes throwing to FASTER receivers playing against higher caliber defensive backs, safeties, etc. Could one assume that Daniels arm strength is plenty good enough given this? Alabama defense is about closest you are going to see to NFL @ collegiate level BTW. 

Please let me know your thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Damn, according to this, Nix is the man when it comes to making something out of nothing after being pressured.

Yep, wish we could see the yardage component though.  50 completions + drops at an average of 10 yards is >>> than 75 completions + drops at an average of 5 yards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I think Corral likely went 1st or 2nd round had he not gotten injured. Remember he fot injured in the bowl game and therefore couldn't participate in the combine, senior bowl, nothing and was barely healthy at his pro day (he had just been allowed to throw/run again I believe)

Seemed like it, at the time, I'd have to find the old draft articles. I remember from that winter the top group was Willis, Corral and Pickett, with Howell and Rattler having tumbled down. I think Corral was usually QB2. I didn't even realize he was out of the league already. Apparently that Sugar Bowl injury was a disaster, and the kid struggles with depression too that might be involved. Sad story, I thought he was pretty good for a bad class, my favs that class were Howell, him, and Willis. Liked what we did best, really good value. Corral in the late 3rd was good value too, but I guess there are bigger problems he's dealing with right now. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Do you think winning an MVP award is more meaningful than playing well in big postseason games and being able to win a SB?

My perspectives have been that he's not worth the money. I still don't think he is. And to be honest, the whole MVP thing this year is a bit odd. He started out super hot, cooled down, ended the regular season mediocre and then failed in the postseason. Even with his running, he still accounted for less than 30 TDs. How that is good enough for an MVP I'm not sure.

I have to assume they're basing it on his early season performances.

Depends on his contract money for being the best player in the national football league this year for the second time?  SB is a team game and award. The team with him crushed every team who were anything except the Mahomes and his SB teammates. He had a super year and deserved MVP 100% sure.  

8 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I am not a big RR or TH guy but would Th have even been in the league without RR? Purdy appears to be a better QB but at the end of the day, doesn't matter, neither are in Washington.

I sure hope the new QB decided by the HC and OC are much better than both of those guys.

Let's hope we get our guy finally. TH is an outlier, but Purdy seems like the prototypical "system QB".

We need a QB that also becomes our leader.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Depends on his contract money for being the best player in the national football league this year for the second time?  SB is a team game and award. The team with him crushed every team who were anything except the Mahomes and his SB teammates. He had a super year and deserved MVP 100% sure.  

How is having 29 total TDs (passing + running) an MVP caliber year for a QB?

5 minutes ago, pico926 said:

Ok second question. It seems like Daniels is completing similar passes throwing to FASTER receivers playing against higher caliber defensive backs, safeties, etc. Could one assume that Daniels arm strength is plenty good enough given this? Alabama defense is about closest you are going to see to NFL @ collegiate level BTW. 

Please let me know your thoughts. 

I wouldnt hate Daniels at 3. I cant stand him at 2. He had one of the best OL's out there and TWO first round WR's. I do like how he became more patient in the pocket this year. But he would still miss wide open receivers for no reason at all and take off and run. He also struggled with passing to the opposite hash in college. Something Maye excelled at. If you look at the overwhelming majority of Daniels big plays they are same side of the field deep balls outside the numbers to some of the best WR's in college football. He rarely if ever threw past the other side hash. That worries me.Take this play for example. Daniels has an hour in the pocket, eventually sees the open man and is still late and weak with the pass. The pass is accurate. But does it get there with NFL DB's? There are just too many examples of this for my liking. His athleticism is intriguing. But not over Caleb and Maye for me. Does he have an adequate arm for the NFL? Sure. Is it special? Not even close. 

OFFENSE_Daniels_late_over_to_Boutte.gif

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I wouldnt hate Daniels at 3. I cant stand him at 2. 

This is kinda how I see it as well. I wouldn't say I can't stand him at 2, I'd still be happy we have a blue chip QB prospect, but I wouldn't LOVE it like I'd love Maye(and Williams obviously if the character stuff is cleared up).

• Like 1

Here is another example from Daniels in the same game. Sluggo from the dead center of the field. By the way the ball is on one hash or the other 95% of the time in the NFL. It is rare to have the ball in the center of the field. This is a very common NFL throw. Here he is weak with the pass, it flutters and dies missing by 5 yards. Even Nabers couldnt save him here. 

OFFENSE_Nabers_SLUGGO_miss.gif

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If you cannot see what he has done this year, I do not know what to tell you. He has improved his passing this year to go a long with tough running and everything else. He stepped his game up to where it was before his injury. It's not a numbers thing and no need to debate them. 

Edited by skinsfan66

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is kinda how I see it as well. I wouldn't say I can't stand him at 2, I'd still be happy we have a blue chip QB prospect, but I wouldn't LOVE it like I'd love Maye(and Williams obviously if the character stuff is cleared up).

I understand a respect yours and clskinsfan's position. I am an upside/high ceiling guy and just see more there with Daniels. Both prospects have +'s and -'s so no issues with your stance.

3 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

If you cannot see what he has done this year, I do not know what to tell you. He has improved his passing this year to go a long with touch running and everything else. He stepped his game up to where it was before his injury. It's not a numbers thing and no need to debate them. 

I saw what he did. He started out the season hot as hell, cooled down, then finished mediocre and then laid an egg in a playoff loss. And you really don't think actually putting up big numbers should matter for a QB when it comes to MVP consideration? MVP isn't a "most improved" award.

Edited by mistertim

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Imagine if they had the 20th ranked D instead of by far the 1st. 

They'd have finished 8-8 with a decent year from their QB. 

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I saw what he did. He started out the season hot as hell, cooled down, then finished mediocre and then laid an egg in a playoff loss. And you really don't think actually putting up big numbers should matter for a QB when it comes to MVP consideration? MVP isn't a "most improved" award.

I thought he would flop too after he got paid but I was wrong. Baltimore is one of my lease favorite teams to boot. But with him leading the way they beat everybody during the season. Everybody was up and down at some point even the 2 superbowl teams QB's.

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’m sure that Daniels’s arm strength is fine. The reason that the guys that can run all have rocket arms is because both require fast twitch muscle fibers.

His arm is fine. Its not Mahomes but its perfectly capable of making every throw. I think people forget that Brady and Manning supposedly were "weak armed" QBs. I am much more concerned with touch and accuracy, Daniels has both in abundance. 

Also just saw this, there was talk about QBs taking snaps from under center. He has more experience with it than everyone but JJ McCarthy it seems (I would have to check numbers)

Example 3 from Daniels. Very nice read from him here. Look how long it takes for the play to develop. Again he passes up a wide open WR at the top of the field opposite hash for a longer developing play with the TE. The throw and result are nice. And it could be the TE was his first read. I doubt it but its possible.Does this transfer to the NFL game?

2_Daniels_reads_out_shallow_concept.gif

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Imagine if they had the 20th ranked D instead of by far the 1st. 

They'd have finished 8-8 with a decent year from their QB. 

Imagine if teams did not have to game plan for Lamar, imagine if he had above average RB's and not just 1 rookie quality NFL WR and a old washed up WR on the other side? And imagine the No.1 TE on the team and one of the best had not gone down for most of the year?  Imagine what they would have finished without Lavar and a 20 ranked D, 4-13?

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

Imagine if teams did not have to game plan for Lamar, imagine if he had above average RB's and not just 1 rookie quality NFL WR and a old washed up WR on the other side? And imagine the No.1 TE on the team and one of the best had not gone down for most of the year?  Imagine what they would have finished without Lavar and a 20 ranked D, 4-13?

Yeah I have to say, someone mentioned it above, but the Ravens still need to upgrade their WR unit. Flowers is a good #2 maybe but they don't have anyone elite and frankly I forgot that OBJ even played for them. 

But I also am not very high on Monken's offense. It's been very overrated ro me.